Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum What are shirt tails for?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Ben Saunders
    Participant

In D.N.A, after a mutated skeleton falls though Rimmer, Kryten says “I believe he’s just discovered what shirt-tails are for.”
    This gets a big laugh from the audience.

I’m sorry, what?

(deleted)

They absorbed the mess when he shat himself.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Yeah, I sort of guessed that must be it. Meh.

Now let’s turn this into a 5,000 reply debate about whether or not holograms can shit themselves or if it’s just another shocking example of the writers eschewing logic for cheap laughs, shall we?

(deleted)

If they can, what on earth did Legion go on to do to his arse and why?

Phil
    Participant

It always bothers me for some strange reason that Kryten refers to him as “Rimmer” in that exchange and not “Mr. Rimmer.”

cwickham
    Participant

He wiped his arse on them after shitting himself, surely?

John Hoare
    Participant

It always bothers me for some strange reason that Kryten refers to him as “Rimmer” in that exchange and not “Mr. Rimmer.”

And we’ll NEVER get a D.N.A. Remastered to fix this, dammit.

Katydid
    Participant

Now let’s turn this into a 5,000 reply debate about whether or not holograms can shit themselves or if it’s just another shocking example of the writers eschewing logic for cheap laughs, shall we?

Must we really assume that he literally shit himself, considering it sounds just like the kind of hyperbole the show makes use of all the time?

bloodteller
    Participant

doesn’t he also shit himself in Demons and Angels?
    they mention in it that he’s been “using his uniform as a temporary latrine”

Dave
    Participant

I assume that it’s a bit like when he gets ‘invisible’ drinks etc. from Holly, but in reverse – the hologram Rimmer goes through the action of shitting but doesn’t actually generate a hologrammatic shit at the end of it – the shit effectively becomes non-existent at the point it leaves his hologrammatic anus. Otherwise Holly would be having to generate hologrammatic shits to fill his pants whenever he got scared, which would be a bit weird.

Ridley
    Participant

#ShirtTails poo-oo!

Katydid
    Participant

doesn’t he also shit himself in Demons and Angels?
    they mention in it that he’s been “using his uniform as a temporary latrine”

I also always took that as hyperbole.

Regardless, I don’t think either Rob and Doug expected this joke to be under scrutiny by anal-retentive nerds 30 years down the line.

Dave
    Participant

The anal-retentiveness explains why we’re confused about what shirt tails are for.

He spoils himself in The Last Day right? So would would assume there is at least programming within holograms to have certain bodily functions

Dave
    Participant

I guess they are simulated to the extent that it provides a more convincing recreation of the real person for the living crew members.

I’m not sure Rimmer really goes off and uses the toilet or anything, though.

John Hoare
    Participant

DOES CAT STILL SHIT IN LISTER’S WARDROBE

“DOES CAT STILL SHIT IN LISTER’S WARDROBE”

No, he shits in Rimmer’s wardrobe.

JamesTC
    Participant

It is a real shame that Doug and the cast are always asked what their favourite episode is or if they remember Tongue Tied when we could be getting the real answers we all want such as the intricacies of hologramatic bowel movements.

While we are at it, do holograms cum?

Dave
    Participant

While we are at it, do holograms cum?

Worst chat-up line ever.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

If holograms can’t cum, what do the crew of the Enlightment do when they shag? Just stop when they agree they’ve both had enough?

These are important questions. Much more interesting than “what’s your favorite episode” for the 700th time.

“If holograms can’t cum, what do the crew of the Enlightment do when they shag? Just stop when they agree they’ve both had enough?”

That sounds like how early Rimmer would have had sex. Really regimented, spend 10mins humping like Will in The Inbetweeners, then looking down at his watch, declaring time is up, jumping off getting dressed and walking away smugly.

si
    Participant

So, do/can Holograms defecate, urinate or ejaculate?
    Prospective Hall of Famer right here.

JamesTC
    Participant

Also can a hologram get an ingrowing toenail?

“Also can a hologram get an ingrowing toenail?”

Well Rimmer suffers from stress at being told he has heart problems in Rimmerworld … so why not?

Perhaps holograms have the sickness and symptoms etc that they have when their back up discs are made.

That would explain why McIntyre looks so pale and dying at his funeral. He was dying of something so they took a new back up so he could be restored to a more up to date version.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Thayt’s pretty morbid. Imagine you’ve got the final stages of cancer, so they send you off down to the medibay to have your personality scanned so they can bring you back as a hologram to keep you working after you imminently die.

The concept of bringing back holograms that can’t touch anything to continue doing their jobs is a bit morbid.

bloodteller
    Participant

the real question is how exactly do they continue to do their jobs if they can’t touch anything? e.g rimmer isn’t going to be able to fiddle with vending machines or fail to repair drive plates, because he needs to be able to touch things with his hands. in the same vein, mcintrye, who’s stated to be the flight co-ordinator, probably wouldn’t be too good at his job after his death.

You’d have to assume it’s their experience they are bringing, they’d be able to advice and give orders where applicable, but not physically do anything for themselves.

Still seems a bit pointless. What makes a holographic McIntyre better at doing his job than the person who worked directly below him who has foregone a promotion to allow him to continue bossing him around whilst presumably doing all the physical aspect of his work for him.

clem
    Participant

Isn’t that partly what the skutters are for? To be Rimmer’s hands, as it were?

God it’s like they didn’t even think this through

JamesTC
    Participant

Rimmer can just use a voice operated forklift.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Holograms could be there for morale – your best mate dies, you’re not going to be able to give it your all when it comes to doing your job; your best mate comes back to life, at least you can pretend he’s not dead. Also the “if anyone of a higher rank dies they become a hologram” thing could be to ensure the ship is never captainless and/or that very important minds like particularly clever people or leading scientist’s minds aren’t lost

Katydid
    Participant

Perhaps holograms have the sickness and symptoms etc that they have when their back up discs are made.
    That would explain why McIntyre looks so pale and dying at his funeral.

Isn’t looking pale kind of Series I’s thing?

Holograms could be there for morale – your best mate dies, you’re not going to be able to give it your all when it comes to doing your job; your best mate comes back to life, at least you can pretend he’s not dead.

Of course, this could have the opposite effect too. “Sorry your best mate’s dead. We can’t bring him back to life because someone more important than him is also dead”.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.