Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Jokes you don't/didn't get

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 947 total)
  • Author
    PhilPagett
    Participant

If they are inflated condoms, I can just about visualise it. Which is what I’ll be doing for the next few minutes.

I do find it slightly odd that, on a ship the size of Red Dwarf, the closest thing they could come to a ball is a blown-up condom rather than, say, a ball.

clem
    Participant

They at least have the beachball Lister says they use for unicycle polo in the very same scene. I think blowing up the condoms is just supposed to be part of the “fun”.

So what you’re saying Ian, is is that Phil has never had sex, is that it?

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Perhaps he’s a Trojan Magnum Zorber rather than a Durex Volleyballer…

Hamish
    Participant

I do find it slightly odd that, on a ship the size of Red Dwarf, the closest thing they could come to a ball is a blown-up condom rather than, say, a ball.

Especially since there is a basketball court shown in Pete. Unless that was like the Karaoke Bar on C Deck?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

No, he’s just never had protected sex.

PhilPagett
    Participant

No, he’s just never had protected sex.

Who told you you needed protection, huh? Some loser who was trying to make you feel small. C’mon, I’ll prove it to you. I’ll take mine off first.

A couple of recent posts in the meme thread (As if they all aren’t meme threads at this point) reminded me of this.

When I was kid I didn’t know that ‘smoked kippers’ was a thing, or what it meant, or that you might eat them for breakfast.  So when Ace said ‘smoke me a kipper’ I thought it was a euphemism for smoking a cigar or probably worse when I was really young, smoking a kipper as you would a cigar or something.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Given a kipper isn’t a kipper until it’s been smoked, is saying “smoke me a kipper” like saying “toast me some toast”?

Given a kipper isn’t a kipper until it’s been smoked, is saying “smoke me a kipper” like saying “toast me some toast”?

clem
    Participant

It’s more like saying “bake me a cake”. 

Flap Jack
    Participant

I disagree. A cake requires a mix of many ingredients. Toast and kippers are single existing food products put through a particular cooking process.

Dave
    Participant

Bake me a quiche, I’ll be back for shortcrust.

It rolls off the tongue better than ‘prepare me a kipper’.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Flap Jack
    Participant

Hey, just because the line is tautologous, that doesn’t mean I’d want it changed.

Side note – “Toast me some toast, I’ll be back for toast” is the catchphrase of Ace Talkie.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

RunawayTrain
    Participant

I think it makes sense, smoking a herring until it becomes a kipper.  It’s not the usual direct verb sense of doing something to an existing object (e.g. toasting bread) but we do refer to the process of making them as ‘smoking kippers’.  Like ‘throwing pots’ for making pottery out of clay – they aren’t pots until they’re made, but we understand the meaning of the phrase.  Same applies to a lot of crafts, crocheting a shawl, sewing a dress, drawing a picture; the verbs are all specific versions of ‘make’.  Run a bath, even!

clem
    Participant

A what? 

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Oh, that was a whole thing when we (Danny) were going through that for the Smega Drive.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Funny fuckers.

I don’t get it.

clem
    Participant

Okay, I dunno what Primordial Soup or the DVD subtitles say but I found a thread about this on reddit and I think he might be saying sampler, as in a device used for tagging and collecting DNA samples from livestock. Not sure why they’d have something like that on onboard but whatever. Nevertheless, whenever I hear the line now I shall of course be thinking of a certain crooner or a man with a solitary tiny testicle.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Primordial Soup corroborates “sampler”. It also says it should be “the Macro-Bollington” rather than “a Macro-Bollington”.

For whatever that’s worth.

Dave
    Participant

Moonlight
    Participant

What the hell does this mean? Is it a joke about shitting yourself when you see a snake? Google was unhelpful.

Unrumble
    Participant

What the hell does this mean? Is it a joke about shitting yourself when you see a snake? Google was unhelpful.

Funnily enough, I think I’ve been misunderstanding it all these years, but it’s clicked as a result of reading your post!

I’m now thinking that it literally means if you stop to go to the toilet in ‘rattlesnake country’, be quick, as deadly rattlesnakes will be lurking everywhere and might catch you unawares.

Up to now, I had a vague notion that a ‘toilet stop’ was some kind of physical mechanism or implement, like a plunger or something. One of those that kind of floated through my mind, without ever following the thought through to any kind of conclusion. But seeing it with the subtitles has disabused me of this idea.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Yeah, I agree. It’s that if snakes are about, you won’t spend long on the toilet because the longer you’re there, the greater the chance of getting one up your arse.

Assuming most of the audience would regard that as a bad thing.

cwickham
    Participant

A toilet stop in rattlesnake country would presumably be in a hole in the ground, which might be a snake hole.

Rudolph
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve always figured it meant you don’t want to hang around anywhere too long, with your private parts exposed, where there are dangerous creatures.

Dave
    Participant

I always thought it was a joke about how Cinzano Bianco stains the table.

Moonlight
    Participant

Yeah, I agree. It’s that if snakes are about, you won’t spend long on the toilet because the longer you’re there, the greater the chance of getting one up your arse.
    Assuming most of the audience would regard that as a bad thing.

OK that makes WAY more sense. But I was under the mistaken impression that “toilet stop” was a noun.

Flap Jack
    Participant

I think it’s a noun either way, but I take it to mean “stop” as an act rather than a place. Like you could swap “stop” for “break” or “trip” or “visit”.

Although maybe a toilet stop is an actual establishment, like a truck stop. I’ve never been to the wild west.

Probably fair to say however you interpret it that it might not be 100% authentic historical vernacular.

I always thought it was a joke about how Cinzano Bianco stains the table.

It’s because it’s brown so it stains.

And as to the joke, I can see the misunderstanding but I’ve also known it to mean stopping quickly or you might get your arse bit.  Though I also pictured it as just squatting down in the dessert, not necessarily over a privy.

Moonlight
    Participant

Didn’t we spend like four pages arguing about that joke already?

Didn’t we spend like four pages arguing about that joke already?

No new Red Dwarf means no new arguments.  We’re destined to just repeat ourselves over and over.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Cinzano Bianco bottles are notoriously extremely heavy, and have sticky bottoms.

Dave
    Participant

No it’s because they didn’t have bins in bars back then. That’s the joke.

clem
    Participant

What’s Lister on about here? 

Flap Jack
    Participant

Kochanski is Kristine Kochanski, someone he knew in the past.

Oh, you mean the “sun is shining” bit. No idea.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Trying to get the receptionist to look away so he can have a look for her room?

It can’t possibly be the sun if it’s on Ganymede. Not at that distance.

Rudolph
    Participant

I vaguely figured he’s trying to spin a story to charm more information out of the receptionist. Or it’s a bit of ad-lib dialogue from Craig that we’re not really meant to notice, as the focus of the shot is Cat looking around and talking to the suitcase.

I always assumed it’s his description of Kochanski, in a ‘you are my sunshine’ kind of way. 

Unrumble
    Participant

I always assumed it’s his description of Kochanski, in a ‘you are my sunshine’ kind of way. 

Dave
    Participant

I literally only just got that the Enlightenment is called that because it’s made of light.

Where’s Series VIII Holly when you need him?

RunawayTrain
    Participant

I literally only just got that the Enlightenment is called that because it’s made of light.

Where’s Series VIII Holly when you need him?

Ohhhhhh I thought it was a deeper meaning, they’ve been enlightened and live their lives free of mortal/fleshly expectations and constraints – but the simpler explanation works too.

Stabbim
    Participant

He’s trying to draw her attention away from the registry so he can get Kochanski’s booking info himself, possibly even nick the registry so he can search for it at his own pace.

He’s trying to distract the receptionist by shouting about an amazing sight.  This wouldn’t have been too long after the most recent sighting of Haley’s Comet, so “hey! Look! Haley’s Comet!” jokes would’ve still been a thing that was somewhat fresh in their minds. Presumably, on Ganymede a good glimpse of the sun itself would perhaps be a relatively rare/special enough thing to work the same way.

Watch the way he points up at the sky/away from the desk.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 947 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.