Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Jupiter Moon: Crap TV Show

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    GlenTokyo

Don’t ask me how because I can’t recall, but I fell into an internet hole the other day and ended up watching a few episodes of a short-lived show called Jupiter Moon.

It was made and broadcast by British Satellite Broadcasting on their Galaxy channel in 1990, there are 150 episodes (although the Sky merger to create BSkyB meant about 40 odd shows were unseen here until the mid 90’s).

Now, I’ll get it out of the way, I’ve watched 3 episodes and it’s shite. There are a few recognisable actors in it, but a lot of awful ones and awful performances, but what struck me is how weirdly, this is like Red Dwarf’s weird long lost sibling. When you watch the documentaries on the Dwarf DVDs, especially about getting the first series made, they say “you don’t do sci-fi sitcoms” about a million times, well this is a sci-fi soap opera, and is strangely quite close to the anecdote of the BBC wanting patio doors and general life scenarios but in space, instead of Red Dwarf, this is the show that definitely proves Rob and Doug knew better than the executives.

As for why set a soap in space, I think they just chose it for their setting just because of the BSB brand, they’d paid for their own satellites to orbit the Earth, they were already pretty spacey.

There are quite a lot of things so far that make it seem like this could fit as the recent past in the Red Dwarf universe.

It’s set in 2050 on a ship orbiting Callisto, where there’s a city, and the program centres on the ordinary lives of students at the ship’s university and the staff who work there, as well as the ship’s crew. There are plenty of mentions of Ganymede too, a seemingly bustling human colony, and Titan.

Some of the students are here because their parents are mining gas in the Jupiter system, there’s also a side story about the first interstellar voyage, to potentially discover other life (so no aliens here either).

The sets also look a bit like Red Dwarf, a cross between the blandness of series 1 and II and the garish style of Parrot’s, but that’s probably just the time period leaking into the production.

As I said though it’s awful, and I’ve only watched 3, so there may be more or less commonalities going forwards.

I looked it up and apparently the budget for this was £6m for the lot, so £40,000 an episode, which is about the same or a bit more than Red Dwarf cost to make, I don’t know if we ever had a concrete figure but in my head I’m sure Doug said one of the Grant Naylor series cost about £200k. Might be wrong there.

While Jupiter Moon has a bigger cast, it really is ropey for that money.

It ever you want more reinforcement of how good BBC VisFX/ The Model Unit were/are, then have a look at this. Some alright models badly manoeuvred with some shite compositing over the top. The model effects were produced in Prague “to save money” (source: BTS thing in YouTube) so Christ knows what the money went on.

If anyone is bored, have a look, it’s on YouTube, I think in full. I’m sure most of you will think it’s absolute dogshit, but maybe for one of you it’ll be your Inspector Spacetime and you’ll just fall in love with it despite it’s flaws.

Katydid
    Participant

a short-lived show called Jupiter Moon.

there are 150 episodes

Soaps are manufactured in bulk by child slaves.

Ben Saunders

American shows be like: 5 seasons over 6 years, 120 episodes
    British shows be like: 13 seasons over 30 years, 78 episodes

GlenTokyo

a short-lived show called Jupiter Moon.

there are 150 episodes
    Soaps are manufactured in bulk by child slaves.

It was on from the 26th March 1990 to the 30th November 1990 before it got pulled.

Manbird

Ben Aaronovitch (Doctor Who and Rivers of London) wrote a handful of episodes, y’know.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

I always get it confused with Escape from Jupiter/Return to Jupiter, the Australian children’s show from the 1990s.

tombow

Australian shows were rockin’ in the early 90s – Girl From Tomorrow/Tomorrow’s End, Pugwall, Round the Twist…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.