Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Look, if this comes off it’ll be a whole new lease of life for both of us

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

I have a driving lesson today with a former co-worker from Disney. Shortly before I left I’d let him borrow my complete Red Dwarf DVD collection (I have my Region 2 collection from the UK, and my Region 1 collection specifically for lending to people) and he fell in love with the show. He’s currently working his way through the audiobooks.

Oh, and he’s teaching me to drive stick. I’ve been learning in an automatic, so this’ll be interesting. And, uh, being the geek I am, I fully intend to tell him that “I think there’s something wrong with the gearbox. The thing is, I learned to drive in Starbug 2. I’m not used to the controls in Starbug 1.”

Message ends.

Richey
    Participant

Be sure to update us on whether or not he provides the correct reply ;)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I actually managed to wrench the gearbox rather a lot, and used that as my excuse to vomit up the quote. He gave me a confused look, then said “Oh” and laughed nervously.

I never, ever, ever want to get behind the wheel of a manual ever again.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I will never understand America’s aversion to manual gearboxes. They are THE CORRECT WAY TO DRIVE.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

I’ve never driven an automatic, but I understand how they can confuse people initially. They’re generally more useful in the UK, where you need closer control of the car. In the US, you’ve got a lot more room and far straighter roads, so I can understand why automatics are so popular; why get a manual if you hardly ever need to change gear?

Blisschick
    Participant

I didn’t learn to drive a standard until about 10 years ago, and now I just feel *wrong* driving an automatic. The only thing I still have issues with are steep inclines. I get kind of panicky over the whole rolling backwards thing, especially when people pull up too close behind me. On the few occasions I’ve had to drive an automatic since, my left foot feels kind of lost without something to do. I’ve even accidentally tapped the brake looking for the clutch.

I wouldn’t say that there’s a big adversion to standards over here, although I do agree that there are more cars made with automatics than not. Just off the top of my head, most of my family and friends have standards, sometimes one of each if they have more than one vehicle. Both of ours are standard…three, if you count my son’s graduation gift, hiding at my friend’s house.

ChrisM
    Participant

I have never learned to drive, although I’d really like to give it a go at some point. I just don’t trust myself not turning people into bowling pins (unintentionally.)

As for manual vs automatic, I like the idea of autmatic. Anything that simplifies the driving process has got to be a good thing I reckon.

Blisschick
    Participant

>I just don?t trust myself not turning people into bowling pins (unintentionally.)

This is exactly why I learned how to drive with an automatic. My son thought the same way at first, only he’s didn’t get a choice.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Anything that simplifies the driving process has got to be a good thing I reckon.

See, I prefer that people actually have to *think* while driving. Oversimplify things too much and you encourage complacency…

ChrisM
    Participant

Automatic drivers can still think while driving. They just need to concentrate on less.

I see what you mean though. Having to concentrate on more could inspire people to keep in that mind-set for other things. On the other hand mucking about with the stick and clutch could be a distraction too.

hummingbird
    Participant

I’ve always driven a manual, apart from two years when I had an automatic.
    Automatics seem easier, but you have so much more control with manual. It’s not a distraction, it becomes, er, automatic.
    I found an automatic harder to drive because it was frustrating not having that control. I’d never buy one again.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Automatic drivers can still think while driving. They just need to concentrate on less.

I drive a manual, but would consider an automatic when I trade in my current car. I don’t actually concentrate on the driving bit (it becomes “automatic” after a while), I concentrate on the road and what’s going on around me. I’d like to think that’s no different if the gears are manual or automatic.

Ridley
    Participant

:D

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.