Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Look Who’s back (No spoilage? Pretty please with sugar on?)

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 270 total)
  • Author
    Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’ve just bought Ratatouille (2-Disc) for ?14.97 plus Cars for ?5 so it’s not been too bad. Although i’m annoyed that there isn’t a 2-disc Cars DVD for the UK. I am now up to date with the Pixar stuff. Looking forward to “Wall-E”

Anyways, Yes….. Who…

Continue!

penny
    Participant

“Wall-E” is so cute…he’s seems like a mix of ET and Johnny in the trailer.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

That’s exactly what i thought as well. the voice of ET and the body of Johnny 5. Interesting, i think i’ll be heading to the cinema for this one, i haven’t seen a pixar film on the Big Screen yet but i imagine it’ll draw your attention to the eye-candy they provide every single time!

I’ve hi-jacked the thread again

WHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Discuss…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The NewWho boxsets here go for about $70 at Amazon.com, and if Series Three was any indication then Series Four will be coming out around the same time as it does in the UK. The packaging is much, much slimmer too – about half the size of the UK releases. $70 + $8 shipping = $78 = ?39. Bargain.

Dave
    Participant

>Sod it, I just ordered the first series, TARDIS box too. Can?t wait!

So what did you think of the rest of it?

TheLeen
    Participant

Erhm, I haven’t gotten around to it yet. At all. Oops :(

In unrelated news, Pro7 is going to broadcast Who episodes 7+ on Sunday afternoons from April 13th! So that (at the latest) is when I start watching it again. Might jsut as well continue with the dubbed (and edited) episodes now, who knows, maybe there is one or the other curious translation or fuck-up in there I would otherwise miss.

TheLeen
    Participant

Episode 1×07 – The Long Game

Sooooo! Doctor Who is back on German telly for now. One episode each Sunday. I just saw “The Long Game”. I’m not 100% certain, but didn’t someone say this episode stinks? Well, I rather enjoyed it.

The good:
    – Hehe, promotion to execution. Splendid.
    – Simon Pegg! (Although I think only around 5% of the German viewers would have noticed)
    – Frost setting up there, hm yes, I liked that.
    – The Doctor had a lot of good lines (as far as I could tell from the German script)
    – All in all, the setting was almost classic science fiction… technology versus human mind, surveillance dystopia, zombiefication of enemies of the state and so on.

The bad:
    – It looked really very frosty up on the 500th floor but you couldn’t see them breathe. Hmmm?
    – Year 200.000 business fashion looked VERY FAMILIAR.
    – And even if that girl was a rebel – why on earth did she take an old-fashioned torch… and also… why did she light it? It was rather bright up there…

All in all… I liked it better than the aliens in London episodes.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I think it was better than the second half of AOL/WWIII (I think the first half had a fair bit going for it that sadly got somewhat mucked up). But I think the poor reception for it was largely down to the fact that we saw it a week after “Dalek”. And it would have been very difficult for anything, bar perhaps a Moffat episode, to follow “Dalek”. You’ve had a long gap, though, so were perhaps able to judge it on its own merits a bit more. And I think it’s maybe worth reevaluating, for Pegg if nothing else (we really should get round to finishing those NTS articles where we were going back over series one – of course, we’ve now got series three to do, as well!)

Oh, but Marleen – just you wait for the next three weeks. You are in for an absolute treat.

TheLeen
    Participant

:))

John Hoare
    Participant

In terms of standalone atories rather than arc plots, new Who has rarely got better than the next three episodes you’re about to watch. (I’d only place Blink higher, I think.)

TheLeen
    Participant

Also, Tamsin Greig. Couldn’t remember yesterday where I knew her from.

Dave
    Participant

I love The Long Game, easily my favourite episode of Series One.

It was interesting in 2005 that Doctor Who fans were waiting for something complain about, belching bins and farting monsters aside the episodes were too consistent for the fans to complain too vociferously. And then along came The Long Game and the doubters crescendo began…

I don’t think its The Long Game’s fault, it’s the fans innability to be happy for more than six weeks. Still in another six weeks they would get to wait six months for more Who, which presumably Marleen won’t.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I always really liked the Long Game too. Wouldn’t go so far as to call it the best of series 1, but it’s certainly far from the worst.

Nice little parable of media control, it sets up the series finale and a frosty Pegg being creepy. What’s not to like?

Boom Town on the other hand…now that is plops.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Boom Town on the other hand?now that is plops.

I love Boom Town. I have absolutely no idea why people have such a problem with it. The biggest worry for me was that the return of a Slitheen would make it as shit as AoL/WWIII but thankfully it was directed by someone who wasn’t convinced it was a kids show that required no effort, so Blon actually looked good. I think RTD did a great job of turning the ‘cheap’ episode into a nice introspective look at The Doctor, and I maintain that the dinner scene is excellently written, played and shot. Add that to a good amount of TARDIS scenes, some of show’s most successful attempts at slapstick, a really nice, fun atmosphere and the lovely moment when the Doctor twigs about Bad Wolf and you’ve got yourself a very strong episode.

In fact, I’m off to watch it NOW.

Andrew
    Participant

> I think RTD did a great job of turning the ?cheap? episode into a nice introspective look at The Doctor, and I maintain that the dinner scene is excellently written, played and shot.

I agree with all this and would happily allow Boom Town to marry my sister. (The Long Game would be met at the door with a shotgun and a count of five.)

TheLeen
    Participant

Episode 1×08 – Father’s Day

Seb said I was in for a treat this week, and my, treated I do feel.

What I loved:
    – It was great.
    – I felt great watching it. Even when I cried in the end. Which I… did.
    – I loved the soundtrack. I don’t usually pay attention to the soundtrack of tv programmes. I usually say: music? there was music? When I don’t really notice the music, the soundtrack blended in nicely with the story, and that means it was good and I’m content. But this time I just loved it, and next time I watch the episode, I’ll pay even more attention to it.
    – Loved it when the Doctor tried to enter the Tardis and it was just a phone booth.
    – And then there were details, you know, just little details. When the time thingies appeared to eat everyone, I first thought it was the grim reaper. I wonder whether their tails were designed that way, intentionally?
    – And the picture inside the church towards the end, with a close-up of Rose’s profile to the left of the screen, looked so pretty.

What I didn’t love:
    – Can’t think of anything. Oh hm, yes, the sonic screwdriver. It wasn’t used much in this episode (which I suppose is good) but when it was… the doctor said he needed electricity – and used an old-fashioned battery. So the sonic screwdriver doesn’t run on electrical power? But he had to charge the battery… with the sonic screwdriver. What?

However, this thing didn’t succeed at all in spoiling the episode for me, not one bit.

I can’t really tell how and why, but the episode was just great as it was! It was just… right. Loved it. Loved it as much as Dalek, and both episodes were very emotional. Although Dalek was from the Doctor’s point of view, and Father’s Day from Rose’s, and of course, being a girl, and not a timelord, and most important maybe, having no father, it was even easier for me this time to immerse.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

You know what? It gets EVEN BETTER next week :-D

Andrew
    Participant

> Loved it when the Doctor tried to enter the Tardis and it was just a phone booth.

This is one of my all-time favourite Who moments – not least because it proves how well the fiction works for us. The TARDIS is always ‘just’ a wooden box when they make the show, but we’re so deeply invested in the fictional world that the reality of what gets shot feels genuinely shocking.

TheLeen
    Participant

You’re right, I just couldn’t believe how tiny and wooden and blue and lifeless it was on the inside. My brain somehow refused to grasp it for a second.

Andrew
    Participant

> My brain somehow refused to grasp it for a second.

I think we all felt the same way. Which, on a practical level, is daft. But there we were, finding the impossible normal and the actual terrifying and bizarre. ‘Tis fab.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Hehe, so true. I remember making an involuntary squeaking noise when that happened.

Ah, I’m thinking about the cliff-hanger of Bad Wolf now….and my shorts have tightened slightly.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

DON’T SAY ANOTHER WORD

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

………………………..

testicles?

TheLeen
    Participant

Looked the episode again last night when Vin came home just before midnight, this time on DVD (in English, yay!)

Was shocking to see how much had been cut for German afternoon telly. Just like in the other episodes: you never see anyone die, just realise that suddenly everyone’s dead. The only “reaping” shown in the German version was when the Doctor himself was eaten. But in addition to that, the street stills (empty playground, a child’s shoe, etc.) were cut as well.

Dave
    Participant

Father’s Day is the sort of historical that the old show would never have attempted, going back in time by only 18 years probably seemed pointless, but this trip to 1987 proves that you can tell a good little story, have an emotional content and tick a few boxes for nostalgia for the casual viewer without excessive mullets.

Ashes To Ashes could learn a lot from this.

John Hoare
    Participant

But in addition to that, the street stills (empty playground, a child?s shoe, etc.) were cut as well.

Man! That’s some of the best and most atmospheric stuff!

TheLeen
    Participant

That’s what I thought last night.

Funny though, I still thought the episode was fantastic when I didn’t know any of those shots.

Part of me wants to watch the episodes in English because, well, they’re shinier and uncut. But the other part of me finds watching the German version just a bit more fascinating. Maybe I can keep this up, watch the German ep. and the original back to back on Sundays. Hmm.

TheLeen
    Participant

By the way, my personal current ranking list so far:

(“excellent”)

1 Dalek
    2 Father’s Day

(“quite enjoyable”)

3 The Long Game
    4 The Unquiet Dead
    5 The End of the World

(anything from “hmm yeah” to “dispensable”)

6 Rose
    7 Aliens of London
    8 World War Three

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’d agree with all of that, except for “Rose”, which is quite clearly “excellent”.

I know I’m getting overly excited about the idea of someone else discovering something, but I REALLY can’t wait for your first Moffat experience…

TheLeen
    Participant

I am very glad to announce that I have *no* idea what a moffat is.

But I’m really looking forward to one day seeing one of those metal dudes with a cookingpot head. *g* But I know that’s not moffats.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Steven Moffat. Writer of the two-part story you’re about to encounter, and further episodes in series two and three. I would imagine that almost everybody, if asked to list the top five episodes of the show so far, would include ALL FOUR of his episodes.

(the upcoming two-parter is a Hugo award winner, by the way. Moffat’s first for Who, but not his last)

Dave
    Participant

>I am very glad to announce that I have *no* idea what a moffat is

It’s someone who sits on a toffat

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I didn’t like Moffat’s series 1 episodes. Yes I know I’m the only one.

Loved his series 2 / 3 ones, though. Funny that.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I didn?t like Moffat?s series 1 episodes.

I’m sorry to come off as heavy handed, but I’m afraid you’re no longer allowed to comment on anything, ever.

Are we talking about “The Empty Child”/”The Doctor Dances”? ‘Cos even I’d agree that those weren’t bad. (Besides having Rose in them, but I’m biased. The stories work well even in spite of that.)

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Just didn’t like them as much as everyone else. “Comedy” dialogue was clunky…setting was unconvincing at times…all the “dancing” metaphors were heavy-handed…have issues with the monster but avoiding spoilers! Could’ve been better.

The resolution / reveal was clever, though.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’d actually agree. I wasn’t that keen on that series 1 two parter (it’s better than A LOT of the episodes before of since but it’s not THAT great). The Girl in the Fireplace was the best episode I’ve seen though. Well, until Blink. Obviously.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Oh god….I love Blink so very much.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

It took “Blink” to knock “The Doctor Dances” off top spot for me…

John Hoare
    Participant

Is there anyone who Blink *isn’t* their favourite episode?

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Hmmm….I dunno….Human Nature and The Family of Blood just pip it at the post.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

TEC/TDD still tops Blink, for me, mainly because it’s a big chunky story and has a better Doctor in it. Wouldn’t Nancy just be a brilliant companion?

For me, I mean.

Andrew
    Participant

Trying to avoid any spoilage!

> TEC/TDD still tops Blink, for me, mainly because it?s a big chunky story and has a better Doctor in it.

Disagree on the Doctor, but it’s a heftier piece of work for sure. I find it very hard to separate the Moffats, in terms of quality, just as I struggle to separate Whedon Buffy eps.

Blink’s strength comes from being Doctor-lite, TEC/TDD (and, in fact, TGITFP) thrive on the Doctor’s specific involvement. Interesting that.

> Wouldn?t Nancy just be a brilliant companion?

I’d really like a break from young women at the Doctor’s side, which may be partly why I’m liking Tate. Still, a companion from another era would add an interesting perspective after three present-day Londoners.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

There’s stuff I want to say about changing companion dynamics, but I think they need to wait (in this thread at least) until Marleen has finished series one!

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Sally Sparrow should’ve been a companion. *grumbles*

Pete Part Three
    Participant

*grumbles with Zombie Dave*

Andrew
    Participant

> Sally Sparrow should?ve been a companion. *grumbles*

Noooooo!

Beautiful girl, and talented enough, but Sally’s story comes to a satisfactory conclusion. To drag her into the TARDIS would rip her out of that. Plus – enough with the 20-something girls awhile. I’m utterly bored of Who laddish reviews that can’t resist mentioning Martha’s arse.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I?m utterly bored of Who laddish reviews that can?t resist mentioning Martha?s arse.

Yeah, what about her tits?

DYS…Etc.

But Sally was funny and quirky. And I’d argue that Carey Mulligan is a better actress than Agyeman, Piper, Tate and Minogue. I’m sure Larry would be slightly less annoying than Mickey too.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Guys, don’t forget, this thread is at the pace of someone who’s still only in series one. So try not to mention specifics of character names or that kind of thing.

In other words, if you wanna spoiler… *throws handbag in direction of the other Who thread* … do it over there.

TheLeen
    Participant

O_o

TheLeen
    Participant

First thing I should mention is that I was really looking forward to seeing Doctor Who this weekend. You know I’ve got series one on DVD, and it’s not easy for me now to wait for the German episodes on Sundays. Watching “The Long Game” again this morning for breakfast entertainment together with Vin (he’d missed it two weeks ago) didn’t help.

Second thing I noticed this morning was this. You know, when you’re drunk, sometimes you get caught in a wave of affection for a friend (or a stranger)? Feeling all warm and fuzzy and kind of bubbly inside? Well, that’s what the title music does to me now. I think I’ve grown really attached to the programme now, and that includes The Doctor himself (Ecclestone, of course, being the only Doctor I know) and Rose.

Episode 1×09 – The Empty Child

Third thing I noticed about the “Moffat episodes”: moffats are not furry aliens in flying saucers. A moffat is, indeed, a very good writer.

You guys had made my mouth water and… whoa. I am so impressed. I love, love, love it.

Things that randomly crossed my mind:
    – Of course, one of the most popular episodes ever had to be a World War II story. That is… very British.
    – Loved the entire dialogue all over the episode.
    – Haha, Rose is very funny when she’s flirting with Maverick aka Jack.
    – I thought London during the Blitz looked very good, special effects-wise. And to think they didn’t want to afford puffy aspiration clouds for The Long Game.
    – Again: zombies! This time of the creepy kind. Creepy child-zombies.
    – Totally, totally creepy.
    – Time agents? There are other people time-travelling the universe? They’ve got gadgets! They’ve got really good gadgets, too! What exactly is the difference then between time agents and time lords? I am intrigued. I think this will be cleared up for me later, and I find it nice that there’s still things left for me to discover.
    – An overall brilliant experience. But it ended too soon! It had only just begun! A) I wasn’t prepared for a two-parter at all. And B) they cut several scenes out for German afternoon telly as well. Scenes cut in the German version include: Doctor talking to the empty child and Doc Constantine transforming into gas-mask zombie.
    – And my, what a cliffhanger!

So! Two seconds or so after the end of the episode I caved in and watched it again in English; loved it even more the second time around. And I could watch the second part right away. Well, I had planned to watch only one episode each Sunday, so they would last longer, but I can’t watch next week anyway, what with me being on vacation the Sunday.

Episode 1×10 – The Doctor Dances

More random things:
    – Banana. Brilliant.
    – What does the WWII scenario OR zombiefication have to do with the Doctor dancing?
    – The kid creeps the hell out of me.
    – Om-Com.
    – General brilliancy.
    – The happy ending? I thought dropping a bomb on that site would have been a good end to the episode, too. It was odd to see the Doctor so… exuberant. So, it looked like everone was doomed, but everyone’s safe.
    – Next: it looked like Jack was doomed, but Jack’s safe. Boo.
    – Will Jack be around, or will he be dropped faster than Adam?
    – Vin is out – so I’ll get to see both episodes again, soon!

It’s hard to say which of the two episodes I prefer. They’re more like a feature film, together. They were both brilliat and very homogenic. The first one had Rose flirting, which I enjoyed, and the second one had resolutions and action, which I also enjoyed. Hm. And the additional chill-down-your-spine factor (Om-Com).

My transformation into a… is there a term for “Doctor Who fan”? Anyway, it is now complete, I think.

Andrew
    Participant

> You guys had made my mouth water

You forgot to leave a gap here for John to have an obscene thought.

John, I had it for you. Sorry.

John Hoare
    Participant

I’m too busy being annoyed that the German version cut the gas mask transformation scene! One of the most iconic moments in New Who so far!

I’m so glad you’re loving it, anyway, Marleen. It’s fantastic.

TheLeen
    Participant

Only three more episodes :(

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

You guys had made my mouth water and? whoa. I am so impressed. I love, love, love it.

Hooray! This is the correct answer!

– Loved the entire dialogue all over the episode.

I don’t know which is Moffat’s bigger strength – his flair for narrative structure, or his dialogue. The former probably just edges it, but the dialogue isn’t far behind (even though he does come up with duff lines). One of my favourite lines in the whole of New Who is still “Well I’ve got a banana, and at a pinch you could put up some shelves”.

– What does the WWII scenario OR zombiefication have to do with the Doctor dancing?

This may be something that got, er, lost in translation, but… “dancing” is basically used as a metaphor for sex.

The happy ending? I thought dropping a bomb on that site would have been a good end to the episode, too. It was odd to see the Doctor so? exuberant. So, it looked like everone was doomed, but everyone?s safe.

Some people don’t like the ending, and it’s true that if EVERY episode ended like it, it would start to feel hollow. But it’s such a necessary – and such a wonderful – moment. This is a broken man, who’s seen his people die before his eyes, and who never quite manages to save everyone – but “just this once, everybody lives!” The final scene, dancing around the TARDIS, is just… oh. I love it so very much.

is there a term for ?Doctor Who fan?

The word is Whovian. Welcome!

Only three more episodes :(

Well, in series one, yeah. But you’ve still got series two and three, as well! And they contain their fair share of eps that are just as good as this story. And in series three there’s a run of three episodes (a two-parter by Paul “Fathers Day” Cornell, followed by a single Moffat ep) that are basically the best run the show has to offer…

TheLeen
    Participant

>> What does the WWII scenario OR zombiefication have to do with the Doctor dancing?

> This may be something that got, er, lost in translation, but? ?dancing? is basically used as a metaphor for sex.

I see. What does the WWII scenario OR zombiefication have to do with the Doctor’s sex?

> The word is Whovian. Welcome!

:D

> Well, in series one, yeah. But you?ve still got series two and three, as well!

Yeah. But see, I don’t own them and I don’t think I’ll get them as cheap as the unloved Tardis DVD box. And, unfortunately, at the same time Pro7 will stop broadcasting Who. Which means I’m about to experience my first Who-hole in time. Sniff.

> a two-parter by Paul ?Fathers Day? Cornell, followed by a single Moffat ep

Ooh! Formidable!

Yeah. But see, I don?t own them and I don?t think I?ll get them as cheap as the unloved Tardis DVD box. And, unfortunately, at the same time Pro7 will stop broadcasting Who. Which means I?m about to experience my first Who-hole in time. Sniff.

…If you really wanted to watch some more Doctor Who, you could always branch out into the classic series. ‘Cos you might be surprised how awesome it is, and all of us other Whovians here could probably recommend some good stories.

=B

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>What does the WWII scenario OR zombiefication have to do with the Doctor?s sex?

Touche. Well, I suppose, the thing is that up until this point the relationship between the Doctor and Rose has been portrayed as a deeply platonic thing (you know, as it kinda should be). But when Jack comes along, for the first time the question of sexuality is raised. Rose has always thought of him as this weird asexual alien, whereas Jack is dashing and exciting. But, as the Doctor says, that’s a fallacy – just because he’s not at it with his companions all the time, it doesn’t mean he hasn’t ever “danced”.

And I like that it’s something that Moffat chose to confront. I certainly don’t think the Doctor should be travelling round with nubile young things and boffing the hell out of them all the time (notable exceptions – Romana, there was clearly something going on there as at least they were the same species; and there was plenty of unresolved sexual tension between the Third Doctor and Jo, despite the age gap) – but just because he doesn’t shag his friends, it doesn’t mean he can’t ever have romantic relationships (there’s a corner of fandom that has always maintained that the Doctor is asexual. This despite the fact that in his very first ever appearance he’s initially described as “grandfather”). It’s a theme that Moffat develops in his next story, The Girl in the Fireplace, and does so rather well.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Talons of Weng-Chiang. A Who review book calls it ‘The best Doctor Who serial of the Seventies’, and I’d be hard-pressed to disagree. I’d also recommend The Aztecs (First Doctor), and The Invasion (Second Doctor).

Andrew
    Participant

Also: He dances at the end. He’s able to dance again having exorcised some of his post-Time War demons – because this time, EVERYONE LIVES!

Hence the title…

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I’d say the Aztecs was probably a little bit hardcore for a fresh Whovian.

As far as classic stories are concerned, would probably start with The Caves of Androzani…City of Death….or Genesis of the Daleks.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

By the way, Marleen…I would be happy to send you copies of Series 2.

They’re only DVDs that I recorded off the telly, but they’re good quality.

Is this the time I recommend “Pirate Planet”? ‘Cos I wanna. It’s good stuff. (Douglas Adams wrote it, which is pretty much your guarantee of quality.) Hell, so is most of the Key to Time series, but “Pirate Planet” is probably the best. “City of Death” isn’t bad either; also, if you can find a Third Doctor story featuring Roger Delgado’s Master* (like “The Sea Devils” or “Terror of the Autons”), you should probably go for it.

*The Master: an evil Time Lord, sort of the anti-Doctor–Moriarty to the Doctor’s Sherlock Holmes. A damn good villain.

Dave
    Participant

>recommend some good stories

Pyramids Of Mars, City Of Death & The Curse Of Fenric are all great.

>there?s a corner of fandom that has always maintained that the Doctor is asexual. This despite the fact that in his very first ever appearance he?s initially described as ?grandfather?

Apparently in The Five Doctors, Carole Ann Ford refused to call the Doctor, Doctor, because her character, Susan, had only ever refered to him as Grandfather, and she was told by the production team that Susan’s lineage was “in dispute” because it implied the Doctor may have had the sex.

When they were first working on the first scripts for the show, Susan was called Biddy and not related to the Doctor, but it was deemed too racy.

I wonder if the large gay following and asexual hero are connected.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

One of the novels suggests that the timelords reproduce asexually as they are above the whole domestic notion of sex / relationships….which I think suits them and the Doctor, really. The more you humanise him, the more ordinary he becomes.

Think it was the novel “Lungbarrow” that states that Susan isn’t actually his granddaughter.
    However, whether the novels are canon is subject to intense, violent and bloody debate.

Dave
    Participant

They were woven on looms, apparently.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant
    TheLeen
    Participant

> By the way, Marleen?I would be happy to send you copies of Series 2.
    > They?re only DVDs that I recorded off the telly, but they?re good quality.

Very appreciated! (And half legal?)

I’ll get the boxed sets one day anyway.

Thanks for all the recommendations. But – I don’t even know how the entire “rebirth” thing works or why the Doctor changes appearance (and personality?) along the way, so I shall wait with that until I’ve seen the children in need or christmas special or whichever it was.

Dave
    Participant

>I don?t even know how the entire ?rebirth? thing works or why the Doctor changes appearance (and personality?) along the way

Fair enough.

>so I shall wait with that until I?ve seen the children in need or christmas special or whichever it was

The 2005 Children In Need episode is on YouTube, I’ll post a link when you’ve gotten to The Parting Of The Ways

Tanya Jones
    Participant

>I?d say the Aztecs was probably a little bit hardcore for a fresh Whovian.

Eh? It’s a well-told story, with not too much padding (a danger with the classic series). Not sure what’s ‘hardcore’ about it, unless you’re talking about it being black and white, or something. If anything, The Caves of Androzani is a bit more abstract than The Aztecs, imo…

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Purely historical, I mean. And quite different from the new series in terms of style and structure.

Dave
    Participant

I hope the new series does (Torchwood acide) get round to a purely historical story eventually.

ChrisM
    Participant

In my own task to check out Old Who, I grabbed City of Death the other day and liked it a lot. That was a nice surprise, as the little Old Who I watched previously I found rather boring. As a little kid, I found it too scary to watch (I think the spooky music had much to do with it.)

I decided to grab another Tom Baker DVD from the library today. “Pyramids of Mars.” I’ll probably watch that one tonight or tomorrow.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I finished watching Earthshock today. Ruddy brilliant stuff. I need to finish watching The Invasion, then order some more classic Who for my collection. moar pertwee plz

teh ub3r-l33t B3n P2dd0n sez:
    moar pertwee plz

Your wish is my command!

“The Sea Devils” or “Terror of the Autons”, I’m telling yer, or maaaybe “Mind of Evil” (that one was a bit silly). Those all feature the Master, in his first (and possibly most brilliant) incarnation, played by the incomparable Roger Delgado. Or maybe “The Silurians” or “Inferno”, provided you can get past the rather silly framing device for the meat of the subject (the alternate universe). I for one thought “Carnival of Monsters” was kind of fun, too (but that’s just me), as was “The Green Death” (Jo Grant’s last story, if I’m remembering it right). Or you could always start the way I started with Classic Who, and get thrown headfirst into the story with “Spearhead from Space”.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I ordered a set of seven Pertwee stories on Amazon at the end of last year, and was then sent an unpleasant email a month later saying that they “couldn’t find” the boxset, and so refunded me my money. To my credit, I did them send them a friendly email that said, “Did you look behind the fridge? If you lose something it’s nearly always there.” They didn’t email me back to say whether they’d looked.

Heigh ho. I guess I’ll order the DVDs individually.

Edit: Interesting Question Number #169: Is there a “good” Colin Baker story that isn’t The Two Doctors? I rather liked Colin Baker’s Doctor – he’s not my favourite, but I don’t think he’s as rubbish as people seem to think, as evidenced by the simply awesome audioplays – and I’d like to see more serials with him in that aren’t, for instance, Timelash. Which I bought for ?6. And sucked.

John Hoare
    Participant

Is there a ?good? Colin Baker story that isn?t The Two Doctors?

Revelation of the Daleks, for one. And I don’t think he’s nearly as bad as people say, either.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Vengeance on Varos is good. And The Mark of the Rani is pretty good too.

> “I for one thought ?Carnival of Monsters? was kind of fun, too (but that?s just me), “

Not just you! One of my favourite Pertwee stories. So very very weird.

Anyone else like Day of the Daleks? I’m probably biased because it was only the second Doctor Who story I ever saw….but I adore it.

But…heck….I like The Five Doctors!

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

>Anyone else like Day of the Daleks? I?m probably biased because it was only the second Doctor Who story I ever saw?.but I adore it.

Actually, I think that’s a pretty good story as well. Speaking of multi-Doctor stories, “The Three Doctors” isn’t bad either (despite, or maybe partly because of, Omega chewing scenery like a starving man on a loaf of bread).

Dave
    Participant

The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors. The moral of the multi-Doctor stories is:

Patrick Troughton wins.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Oooh! I hadn’t seen this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmh8xeX6SG0

Fan-bloody-tastic.

Dave
    Participant

Maybe we should let Marleen have her thread back and discuss Doctors One to Eight and Ten in the other Who thread

John Hoare
    Participant
    ChrisM
    Participant

I’ll confine my spoilage to the episodes you have watched, Boom Town in particular.

So you liked the resolution? I’m a bit undecided on it myself. There is some logic to it in that the Tardis, being a time machine can do stuff with time, hence being able to regress the Slitheen to an egg/pod/thing.

However, it’s kind of using the Tardis in a way that it’s never been used before, and felt a bit… well.. (I’m not going to use a certain latin phrase, as it’s way overused on the internet, but let’s just say I wasn’t keen on the quick fix resolution.)

However, I liked the fact that the Slitheen woman was portrayed as a much more three dimensional villain, i.e. she’s bad, but not all bad. I.e. she’s not like an Orc or Troll from Lord of the Rings, which is predisposed to be evil. Or a Dalek for that matter. In her case it’s it’s nurture not nature, and of course the bad choices she made in her life. It’s nice that she now has another chance, and in that sense, I agree the resolution works very well.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the programme. And you’re being very self controlled in your watching of episodes. When I get DVDs I tend to munch my way through them in a short period of time, but I sometimes think I’d get more from it if I took it a morsel at a time.

TheLeen
    Participant

> like an Orc or Troll from Lord of the Rings, which is predisposed to be evil.

Yeah, but, they’re not! Well, not the trolls anyway (not sure about LotR orcs). I think it’s very rare for ANYONE to be. If ever. Or something. “Dalek” covered that nicely…

> It?s nice that she now has another chance, and in that sense, I agree the resolution works very well.

All the time I’d been thinking there were only two possible ways for the episode to end – Blon to Perximorxivilaphrogus or Blon to escape. It was just nice to see something I hadn’t thought of as a resolution that worked for the episode. Although I agree that it was something of a deus ex machina. But hey, it’s Who… I’m just glad that it wasn’t the sonic screwdriver that did it!

> I?m glad you?re enjoying the programme. And you?re being very self controlled in your watching of episodes. When I get DVDs I tend to munch my way through them in a short period of time, but I sometimes think I?d get more from it if I took it a morsel at a time.

I’m not a patient person. It’s really hard. *g*

TheLeen
    Participant

Episode 1×10 – Boom Town

Unfortunately, Pentecost weekend means no Doctor Who weekend.
    But I really didn’t feel like I could wait so long, so, even though it’s only Saturday, I watched “Boom Town” on DVD. I’ll still watch the German version next week to see if crucial scenes have been cut, and to see whether they got the translation of “steak and chips” right.

“Boom Town” was not in a good position to start with. “Boom Town” takes place immediately after the Moffat episodes, immediately before the episode “Bad Wolf”, before the series finale and what people call a big buttfucking surprise. Secondly, I knew that “Boom Town” was going to about Slitheen Margaret/Blon, so, hm, maybe like part three of “Aliens of London”, my least favourite episode so far.

Surprisingly, I found myself enjoying “Boom Town”, and enjoying it quite a bit! Maybe because I watched it in English first. Yeah, that would’ve helped. But anyway, I thought the episode was nowhere nearly as unexciting as “Aliens of London” (of course, nowhere near “Dalek” either).

What we liked

– Less farting
    – Less extreme Tardis & Slitheen light effects
    – References to earlier episodes, not only “Aliens of London”/”World War Three” but also “The Unquiet Dead”, and Mickeyricky
    – The humour (Margaret running away was a great scene)
    – Tardis in front of the sculpture in Cardiff looked great
    – The resolution
    – The “Bad Wolf” thing becomes frighteningly tense
    – OMG, “Next week on Who”. It was really, really, really really hard to turn it off and not immediately watch the next episode. Attn Andrew: Rawr!

What we didn’t like

– Can’t think of anything right now, really.
    – Okay, the surfboard thing was a bit cheesy, but well, in a Doctor Who way, so it’s an okay kind of cheesy.

Summary

We both think it was an average Who episode. Watching it felt like eating starters. You’re really looking forward to the main course, but it gets your juices flowing (I’m talking appetite here).

Andrew
    Participant

> Attn Andrew: Rawr!

*swoon*

Andrew
    Participant

> Although I agree that it was something of a deus ex machina.

Hold me back. Hold me back!

ChrisM
    Participant

Something strange happening to the post order there. I think a time distortion has entered this very thread. How ironic.

Never mind.

like an Orc or Troll from Lord of the Rings, which is predisposed to be evil.

Yeah, but, they?re not! Well, not the trolls anyway (not sure about LotR orcs). I think it?s very rare for ANYONE to be. If ever. Or something. ?Dalek? covered that nicely?

Most LotR ‘evil creatures’ come across as completely evil in nature, although they originate from ‘good’ creatures. (Orcs from Elves, Trolls, possibly from Ents… although I don’t buy that one since one is made from stone the other wood… sort of.)

Don’t get me wrong I love LotR. The other ‘free’ races are certainly 3 dimensional (take Boromir for example. Does bad things, but repents.)

Anyway back to Who…

?Dalek? covered that nicely

Actually you’re right there, although it was the influx of human Rose’s human DNA which caused it. The Daleks themselves have pretty much engineered themselves to be single-minded and evil, hence the Dalek from that episode not being able to cope with having to deal with a conscience.

That’s ok, I don’t mind the 1 dimensional “Whuaha ha” villains. They both work, as did the more meaty (oo-er) Slitheen lady.

All the time I?d been thinking there were only two possible ways for the episode to end – Blon to Perximorxivilaphrogus or Blon to escape. It was just nice to see something I hadn?t thought of as a resolution that worked for the episode.

Good point there. And impressive that you remember the name of the alien world.

I?m not a patient person. It?s really hard. *g*

Stick at it trooper. ;)

I look forward to your review of the next one.

John Hoare
    Participant

Something strange happening to the post order there. I think a time distortion has entered this very thread. How ironic.

Sorry, it’s the old editing bug – if people edit their posts, then the order fucks up if there are posts below it. To fix it, I need to upgrade the system to the next version – a major job – so I may disable comment editing for bit until I get a chance to do it…

TheLeen
    Participant

> Good point there. And impressive that you remember the name of the alien world.

I made it up. It’s actually Rexicoricophallivatorius. But only according to the DVD subtitles. Other written media use the spelling Raxacoricofallapatorius. But I won’t be able to spell any of those next week. Uhm.

Andrew
    Participant

> so I may disable comment editing for bit until I get a chance to do it?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

TheLeen
    Participant

>> Although I agree that it was something of a deus ex machina.

> Hold me back. Hold me back!

Yes, okay. What?

Andrew
    Participant

> Yes, okay. What?

Bah, can someone who knows where it is link to the appropriate comments exchange?

John Hoare
    Participant
    TheLeen
    Participant

OMG that thing is packed with spoilers. But I realise now this is a touchy subject. *g*

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Marleen is 100% correct about Boom Town. Everyone with a different opinion should TAKE NOTE. And then kill themselves.

Andrew
    Participant

> OMG that thing is packed with spoilers.

Oh fuck! Sorry!

> Marleen is 100% correct about Boom Town.

About it being good (I agree)? Or about the ending (disagree, except in an almost absolutely literal ex machina way)?

ChrisM
    Participant

> Yes, okay. What?

Bah, can someone who knows where it is link to the appropriate comments exchange?

Heh, that’s why I refused to say that ‘latin term’ (see above.) That and I see it on the internet so often when it’s not applicable.

Ironically the way Marleen used the term in Boom town actually is applicable. At least I’m pretty sure it is, since the resolution really did come out of nowhere this time. The heart of the Tardis was opened and the lady turned into an egg. The Slitheen woman I mean, not Marleen. Boom boom!

Not saying that to kick off another heated debate though, noone shoot me. ;)

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 270 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.