Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Mario Kart Wii

Viewing 67 posts - 1 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    John Hoare
    Participant

a) This is FUCKING fantastic. One of the best games I’ve ever played. Especially online multiplayer.

b) My friend code is 4210-4156-7478, and Tanya’s is 3437-3215-7850. ADD US AND POST YOURS IMMEDIATELY.

Ridley
    Participant

Oh good, it sounds more Mario Kart DS than Double Dash.

Phil
    Participant

You cock nugget. I don’t even think it’s out in the US yet (though it will be before the end of the month, if I remember correctly).

1) Get Smash Bros.

2) Regarding online multiplayer: I had heard that it was just going to be something corny, like one player races, uploads their ghost, and then you race against that player’s ghost.

Which sounds terrible.

Please tell me you actually race together in real-time, as though you were sitting in the same room.

Also: if that IS the case, I’m assuming it also holds true for battle mode?

John Hoare
    Participant

Not tried Battle Mode yet, but the vs races are indeed proper real time racing. Against up to 12 OTHER PEOPLE. And you can race either your friends, or random people across the world. And it is fucking, FUCKING excellent.

And yes, I’ll get Smash Bros

Phil
    Participant

I’ll definitely be picking it up, it’s only a question of when. I’d imagine next month is pretty likely. Though I do want that Metroid game, too…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

2105 8793 7295

Will be adding you shortly John.

pfm
    Participant

3737-9659-3733

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Phil says…
    2) Regarding online multiplayer: I had heard that it was just going to be something corny, like one player races, uploads their ghost, and then you race against that player?s ghost.

If that is the case then it’d piss of a lot of people, considering that the online in MarioKart DS is so good.

John Hoare
    Participant

It most definitely is NOT the case. Multiplayer is real-time, with up to 12 opponents – and you can play either random people, just your friends, or join friend’s races with other random people.

Which means you could be playing a bunch of random people one moment… and before you know it, half the people on the track are people you know!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’ve pre-ordered my copy. Should get it early May. In the meantime I’m going to play SSBB some more.

pfm
    Participant

> In the meantime I?m going to play SSBB some more.

Die.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Already have done.

Daff
    Participant

Encore

John Hoare
    Participant

HURRY UP AMERICA

I want to do a G&T tournament!

Phil
    Participant

Yeah, don’t you bastards dare lose interest before I get the game!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Fucking Wii owners.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

My copy has shipped, so it should be here tomorrow given Amazon’s recent track record. My Rock Band wireless guitar was shipped yesterday and arrived this morning, so fingers crossed.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Yeah, don?t you bastards dare lose interest before I get the game!

Not gonna happen. I have Wii Fit coming today, but I don’t think that’ll hold my attention quite as much.

Anyone had any issues with Nintendo WFC over the last few days? Connection seems really flakey for me and a couple of mates and have been disconnected from Grands Prix several times.

John Hoare
    Participant

Yes, I’ve had some problems recently too. At one point the game finished halfway through the second lap! (But as I was in the lead, I got first place regardless…)

And yeah, I can’t see me getting bored of it any time soon!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I imagine that the NinWiFi network is still suffering from Big-Game-itis. It started when Brawl came out and it’s unlikely to get better any time soon what with both games now bogging down the server.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Singular?!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

My copy arrived! I’m adding everyone who’s listed their code here. Mine is 5515-3281-8701.

John Hoare
    Participant

Hmmm – it’s telling me that’s not a valid friend code…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’ll double-check it later. Right now I’m getting ready to put food in my mouth. There may well be chewing as well.

Edit: 5155-3281-6701. Whoops.

Edit 2: Apparently I still didn’t get it right. Grr. It should be right now.

Phil
    Participant

Went out to buy it today…turns out it’s not released til tomorrow. Wahhh.

Phil
    Participant

Added you all. Now add me.

1590 5083 2099

John Hoare
    Participant

I’ve added everyone in this thread!

Oh, and Phil – Smash Bros isn’t out in the UK until JUNE THE FUCKING 27TH. As soon as it’s out, I’ll get it…

Phil
    Participant

I did some online karting last night…a very strange thing is that I actually did BETTER right off the bat than I started doing later on, after having logged more race time.

No idea why that is…I started off always finishing in the top three or four, and then, later on, it was a struggle to stay above 9th or 10th. I should be getting better, not worse!

Also strangely: I’m better in battle mode. Which I’m fine with, but I’d have never expected that.

Anyway, the main thing is that even though I ended up getting my butt THOROUGHLY DECIMATED by my online opponents, the game was still FUN. And that’s what matters most…that you can enjoy the game without having to win every time. Granted, I called Luigi all manner of filthy names, but I was still enjoying myself. The game is doing something right, after all, and it says a lot that it’s still a delight to play while you’re losing.

Phil
    Participant

>Smash Bros isn?t out in the UK until JUNE THE FUCKING 27TH.

Maybe they’re going to use that time to improve the servers, or something. Internet Smash is fun, but compared to how reliable and fluid the Mario Kart online experience has been so far, it’s a joke. If anything, it shows how much room for improvement there is for Smash.

I’ve been told that it’s far better when you play against friends, and I believe that, but my only friend on Smash is Ben Paddon, and I haven’t managed to catch him online yet.

Which is probably for the better. He’d murder me.

ChrisM
    Participant

>I did some online karting last night?a very strange thing is that I actually did >BETTER right off the bat than I started doing later on

I’m like that when I go ten-pin bowling. Start out well, but then start doing rubbish.

pfm
    Participant

fuckingGTfuckingAfucking4outtofuckingnight.

John Hoare
    Participant

I did some online karting last night?a very strange thing is that I actually did BETTER right off the bat than I started doing later on, after having logged more race time.

No idea why that is?I started off always finishing in the top three or four, and then, later on, it was a struggle to stay above 9th or 10th. I should be getting better, not worse!

Remember your score goes up – and when your score goes up, it starts matching you against tougher opponents.

But I have fluctuations all the time – I go on one time, win every other race, and score loads of points – and the next time I go on, I fucking lose them all again! Sometimes you’re just lucky with the people you’re playing.

Internet Smash is fun, but compared to how reliable and fluid the Mario Kart online experience has been so far, it?s a joke. If anything, it shows how much room for improvement there is for Smash.

Yeah, the online Mario Kart is amazing. A few dropped connections here and there – I once won a race halfway through the second lap – but generally amazingly easy and reliable, really.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I can’t get online with SSBB or MKWii today at all. How rare.

John Hoare
    Participant

The online was very flaky… well, yesterday, as it is for me now. I think America getting it has put a strain on the servers.

Phil
    Participant

Yeah, yesterday was the worst I’ve seen it. I could get on and play for a stretch, but after a few races I’d be disconnected.

In fact, the same thing happened to me as happened to you, John: I was winning a race when I got disconnected…only I didn’t get the points for it! You lucky shit.

Phil
    Participant

G+T TOURNAMENT PLEASE

Also: after a few days out of town I got home, popped in the game for a quick race or two before bed, and shot up THREE HUNDRED POINTS.

Of course this still leaves me slightly below the starting value of 5000 points…but I do at least feel a bit better about myself.

Phil
    Participant

Doing a tournament tomorrow, noon eastern. I’ll set up the room. Just log in and join if you’re interested.

John Hoare
    Participant

I’ve been away for a few days and I think I’ve missed this, haven’t I? I don’t know whether you meant today or tomorrow, ss the time difference confuses me…

Phil
    Participant

I bet you didn’t even remember to move your clothes down onto the lower peg.

But serizzles…G&T Tourney.

John Hoare
    Participant

How about at some point this weekend? I can do any time…

Phil
    Participant

How did I miss that post, John?

Anyway, I’m hosting a “race as your mii” tournament Sunday at 4:00 Eastern, 9:00 GMT. Anyone who wants to pop in is welcome; no idea what kind of turnout to expect.

The only ones I’ve managed to make a connection with here have been Pete and John…so if anyone else wants in let me know and I’ll try re-entering friend codes.

John Hoare
    Participant

I’m around – but I’ve not unlocked racing with my Mii yet! Spent FAR too long playing online, and not enough time doing the Grand Prix single player.

I’ll try and do it tonight, otherwise I’ll have to leave it this week.

Phil
    Participant

Glad you could make it, John. You and I spent just about every race duking it out for last place!

It was fun and I might host another one next week.

Also: you were definitely picking on me. I thought we was friends.

John Hoare
    Participant

Yes, I’m definitely interested in one next week!

I have to say though – the reason I was crap is because my Mii is heavy – and so it gives me the Large karts. And I am BLOODY AWFUL with those – I suit the Small ones, where I can zip around and recover from my mistakes quickly…

So being fat manages to ruin my real life, and my virtual one. Great.

Phil
    Participant

You can change the dimensions of your Mii and that’ll affect the karts you get. Or you could always swap out your Mii for a novelty small one…my personal fave right now is Snoopy…

Also, http://www.mariokartwii.com is a message board full of tournaments and things like this…check it out if you ever get bored and have the itch to make new friends to race. Pretty good group of people.

John Hoare
    Participant

Yeah, I’ll change my Mii dimensions next time. I nearly did it this time, but it felt like cheating. But fuck that.

Phil
    Participant

Another Mii tournament Saturday at 4:00 Eastern, 9:00 GMT:
    http://www.mariokartwii.com/showthread.php?p=217726#post217726

The theme is horror, so scariest Mii gets a 5 point bonus.

If anyone here wants to join in you don’t need to register at that thread…just leave your friend code here and I’ll add you.

Go easy on me this time, John. You cunt.

John Hoare
    Participant

I can’t do this weekend, I’m afraid – I’m off at my parents house!

I should be around for the next few weeks after that, though…

Phil
    Participant

Hosting another tournament Saturday at noon Eastern / 5 GMT. No rules, really…just a 4 GP free-for-all. To celebrate me going to Canada to be crowned KING OF AUTHORS.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Sorry Handsome Phil; we’ll be Wii-less this weekend as we’re going to a party…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’ll try and get on there, Phil. Wii Fit has been lodged in my Wii for too long.

Phil
    Participant

>we?ll be Wii-less this weekend as we?re going to a party?

To celebrate me going to Canada to be crowned KING OF AUTHORS?

>Wii Fit has been lodged in my Wii for too long.

Am I right to assume that’s a positive review on your end? I’m kind of fascinated by the idea of Wii Fit. Overall I’m about an average weight for my height, but I never exercise–ever–and I eat junk, leading me to believe I can’t be anywhere near as healthy as I look.

I’m tempted to get Wii Fit, but at the same time I’d feel oddly embarrassed doing so. Why is it that I’d buy a video game to get in shape but I won’t go jogging before work, or something?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Am I right to assume that?s a positive review on your end?

Yup. There are problems with it (a little limited, no way of designing a customised exercise program) but it’s about as fun as an exercise aid can be. Shouldn’t be confused with a game though. The novelty factor has worn off so I don’t particularly “enjoy” it as such (aside from the “rush” that exercise usually brings), but it’s swiftly become part of my daily routine.

I do a reasonable amount of exercise, am average kind of height and am a few pounds overweight according to BMI (presumably due to weekend binge-drinking and eating). I’ve certainly noticed an improvement in about a month’s worth of 30 minute daily sessions. At the end of that I’m sweatier than when I play 90 minutes of football.

I was far more excited about Mario Kart than Wii Fit, but I’d guess I’ve spent more hours with the latter.

Oh, and I’m 27 and my Wii age is 22. It’s like a stasis booth!

Ridley
    Participant

Oh, and Phil – Smash Bros isn?t out in the UK until JUNE THE FUCKING 27TH. As soon as it?s out, I?ll get it?

…Well did you?

John Hoare
    Participant

I’ll probably pop along to town this weekend and pick it up.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It should be winging its way to me as I type. Or sitting in a depot somewhere.

One of the two.

I don’t think I’ve played SSB for longer than 30 minutes on either the N64 or the Gamecube. The format never really appealed to me (and I’m not entirely sure why as it’s a first-party Nintendo title which should be justification enough). Am giving it another go and took the plunge and ordered it in light of the incredible reviews.

Phil
    Participant

I ADORED the N64 version. It was probably the last time in my life that I would stay up with friends playing the game literally all weekend.

Eventually I picked up a Gamecube just so we could play the next version…and it really didn’t do anything for me. I was very disappointed by it, actually. I think I was just hoping for the same game with more characters and levels. Instead it tried to do too much of everything, and the graphics were actually distracting and difficult to discern, despite them being, in a technical sense, better.

The Wii version is definitely a big step back in the right direction. Nothing will ever top the original for me, if only because of the memories I have, but it’s at least a really good, really solid game that keeps all the advancement of Melee but removes everything it did wrong.

Ridley
    Participant

Which was? Brawl feels a bit slower than Melee

Phil
    Participant

Which I’m all in favor of. Melee came across to me as a button-masher. The only decisions you were ever making was whether to use a long-range weapon or a close-quarters one. I actually prefer the decrease in speed because it means an increase in actual strategy. The N64 version never felt like a button-masher to me. It was comparatively simplistic, yes, but it seemed rewarding in that simplicity. It was easy to pick up, but you always had to keep your wits about you.

In Melee “keep your wits about you” was replaced by “keep whacking the other guy so he doesn’t whack you,” “keep jumping so you don’t get killed by this ridiculous moving stage that doesn’t belong in a fighting game,” and that old chestnut “watch yourself get killed by a hazard that was colored so darkly it was practically invisible.”

Pete Part Three
    Participant

What control method do you favour in the Wii version, Phil?

Phil
    Participant

So far I’ve only played it with the Gamecube controller and with the Wiimote/Nunchuck. If it weren’t for the horrid jumping and discard actions on the Wiimote/Nunchuck I’d spend more time with it. For now, though, I end up with the old faithful Gamecube controller.

In all honesty I haven’t found much time to play it since I picked up Mario Kart Wii, Twilight Princess, and a few Virtual Console games. (Not to mention working my way through the Luigi version of Mario Galaxy.) I’m sure my gaming habits will cycle back around to it, though.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

MarioKart Wii is virtually unplayable using the GameCUbe or Classic COntrtollers as the Stunts are mapped to the D-Pad. Stunt jumps and wheelies are pivotal for success in the 150cc and Mirror cups.

Phil
    Participant

Oops! Was Pete asking about MKWii? In that case I apologize. I mainly use the Wiimote/Nunchuck, though I did spend a lot of time with the wheel, which I only stopped using because I injured my left thumb making item use impossible.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yeah, I meant SSB. It’s interesting how Nintendo are offering all these alternatives to the Wii Remote + Nunchuk. Playing with the Wavebird just doesn’t feel right to me.

Phil
    Participant

>It?s interesting how Nintendo are offering all these alternatives to the Wii Remote + Nunchuk.

I’m hoping they keep that up for the new Mario Sluggers game. I loved the Gamecube version because it was very fun in spite of the fact that I’m not a big baseball fan. But the new version intends to use something similar to the Wii Sports interaction for hitting/pitching. Except I’m sure it’ll be more complex in terms of the types of swings/pitches you can do. Also the game is sure to be much longer and more tiring.

Personally, I’m all for hitting a button to swing a bat. It’s nice that the motion-sensing control will be in place for that sort of thing, and I’m sure it’s a lot of fun, but if I intend to play for any very long stretch of time I’d like the ability to control the game more “traditionally.”

John Hoare
    Participant

I did get Brawl, incidentally, but I’ve not had much chance to play it yet, because of… “stuff”. When I have finished “stuff”, I’ll be there.

I’ve had a quick go though, and it made me all fuzzy inside.

Ridley
    Participant

I?ve had a quick go though, and it made me all fuzzy inside.

Wiimote: ur doin it wrong

Viewing 67 posts - 1 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.