Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Matthew Graham Reveals Details Of Life On Mars/Ashes To Ashes Sequel

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    steven87gill
    Participant

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-04-02/life-on-mars-final-chapter-april-fool/ I don’t know how I feel about this. On one hand I’m excited, as I had serious reservations with how Ashes ended so a chance to conclude things on a slightly brighter note is a positive, but on the other hand I’m worried, as I had serious reservations with how Ashes ended so I fear that the writers will just double down on the direction they took the story last time, but on the other hand I’m excited, as what he’s suggesting sounds completely fucking batshit in a good way, but on the other hand i’m worried, as i… etcetera, ad infinitum

Flap Jack

Assuming that this wasn’t later revealed as an April Fool, count me as interested but not excited. I don’t think Ashes to Ashes could have been any less open for a sequel. It’s done.

Also, I know this was months agp, but it feels extra weird to think about a new police-centered TV drama right now, when the world has erupted in righteous anti-police protest.

Granted, Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes are not so much straightforward cop shows as they are meta-commentaries on the cop shows of the past compared to the cop shows of the modern day, but still.

By Jove its holmes
    Participant

As long as Creepy Test Card Girl’s doll comes to life and goes on a rampage, I’m in.

si
    Participant

Assuming that this wasn’t later revealed as an April Fool, count me as interested but not excited.

Not an April Fool.
    https://twitter.com/TremensDr/status/1245806461281808398?s=19

quinn_drummer
    Participant

I’m always interested to see how writers go about doing more of a show they clearly put to bed. And I enjoyed both shows a lot, so will look forward to more.

He’s been talking about this for a while, so I’m glad it’s maybe coming to fruition, though likely not for a while now.

Also, I know this was months agp, but it feels extra weird to think about a new police-centered TV drama right now, when the world has erupted in righteous anti-police protest.

Fun thing about Life on Mars (and Ashes) is that it very bluntly shows you police brutality, and tells you its wrong over and over and over again

Flap Jack

It’s true, but the basic point is that 70s/80s police (or rather, 70s/80s cop shows) were the ones who had issues with brutality and corruption, while the modern police that Sam and Alex are a part of are much more fair, reasonable and accountable. So one could still make the argument that it glorifies policing as a profession.

On top of that, as each series progresses the main character warms up to the old Gene Hunt way of doing things – and Sam eventually rejects his actual life in favour of it – so it isn’t even telling the audience that it’s so wrong, really. They always get the bad guys, so ultimately the past police are still depicted as righteous and successful despite their flaws.

Of course, Life On Mars and Ashes to Ashes aren’t so problematic in the grand scheme of things. I’m not arguing that this new project should be stopped or anything. It’s just hard not to view things like this through a post-George Floyd lense when I hear about them.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

If it’s not called Hallo, Spaceboy – the perfect 90s Bowie title – I’ll be disappointed.

I’m relatively excited for it, but wondering what they can really do after revealing Gene Hunt is a post-modern Charon, ferrying dead coppers to the afterlife.

If Life on Mars was The Sweeney and Ashes to Ashes was The Professionals, I’d quite like to see them go for an Inspector Morse theme this time around. An ageing, verge-of-retirement Gene Hunt tooling about the Oxford countryside in a Jag.

steven87gill
    Participant

It’s true, but the basic point is that 70s/80s police (or rather, 70s/80s cop shows) were the ones who had issues with brutality and corruption, while the modern police that Sam and Alex are a part of are much more fair, reasonable and accountable.

An important point to make is that it will be mainly set in the present day because unlike the “now” of LOM/A2A, which was *relatively* sterile & dull, the world we’re living in now is anything but that, & in fact a lot of parallels could be drawn to the more chaotic, transitional times of the 70’s/80’s, in terms of where we are as a society with sexual politics, racial tensions & police brutality, which I think is something Matthew Graham & Ashley Pharoah both have something to say on. (that was actually their “eureka” moment for bringing it back in fact)

It was actually setting it in the present day wasthe eureka moment that got Matthew Graham back into it.

Flap Jack

I guess we’ll just have to see. If they can make a TV show with police protaganists and also say “all cops are bastards though” I’ll be impressed for sure.

Manbird

it feels extra weird to think about a new police-centered TV drama right now, when the world has erupted in righteous anti-police protest.

one could still make the argument it glorifies policing as a profession.

An important point to make is that it will be mainly set in the present day because unlike the “now” of LOM/A2A, which was *relatively* sterile & dull, the world we’re living in now is anything but that, & in fact a lot of parallels could be drawn to the more chaotic, transitional times of the 70’s/80’s, in terms of where we are as a society with sexual politics, racial tensions & police brutality, which I think is something Matthew Graham & Ashley Pharoah both have something to say on. (that was actually their “eureka” moment for bringing it back in fact)

If they can make a TV show with police protaganists and also say “all cops are bastards though” I’ll be impressed for sure.

Sorry, I’ve been trying not to get caught up in this discussion but you’ve forced my hand. I add the following link purely because it’s worth thinking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzlrSWSyJpw

Largely reasonable points have been raised in this thread, but some of the language is getting a little deterministic. If you want to discuss crime statistics relating to police brutality and hate crime in the UK and US we can do that, but idly throwing statements around and assuming a consensus opinion without the use of facts is deeply problematic.

Flap Jack

I do get that there’s nuance in the conversation about police powers and crimes committed by the police against their own populations – and that the UK is different from the US due to the police generally not being armed and such – but I’m not sure what that infamous footage of a New York police union official going on an unhinged rant about protests is supposed to demonstrate? Other than American police unions acting like protection rackets, obviously.

And come on now, I just semi-seriously referenced a popular slogan that exists to emphasise that the problems with the police are institutional and systemic, and institutions/systems are controlled by people. Ain’t nothing “deterministic” about that.

Manbird

I’m not sure what that infamous footage of a New York police union official going on an unhinged rant about protests is supposed to demonstrate? Other than American police unions acting like protection rackets, obviously.

The point he’s making is that the police have been left out of the conversation and are being vilified by the media. There’s nothing unreasonable or “unhinged” in raising that issue. If there are systemic issues within the US and UK police forces then we need to make sure everyone’s at the table to discuss it, not just the ones who think spray painting “All Cops Are Bastards” outside their local supermarket makes them activists.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not being censorious or having a go – I just think we need to be very cautious when discussing this issue. When I said the language was becoming a little deterministic I was refering to sentiments such as how the world has “erupted in righteous anti-police protest”.

Flap Jack

I disagree that police have been left out of the conversation, because, well, if they weren’t the dominant voice in the conversation then people wouldn’t need mass protests just to be heard.

I’ve probably let this get a bit too off-track from Life on Mars, though, so I’m sorry about that. I just wanted to share my own feeling of whiplash from hearing so much anti-police stuff in the news to hearing about a new cop show.

Manbird

Hey, don’t apologise. Fair points. I’m sorry if I gave the impression I was chastising you in some way. That wasn’t the intention.

As for Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes: check out the Russian remake The Dark Side of the Moon about a 21st century cop having to navigate his way through the bureaucratic and repressive Soviet police force of the 1970s. It’s a wonderful spin on the concept.

Flap Jack

Oh, wow, I never realised that was a thing. Can’t say I’m really expecting to easily find it on any streaming services.

si
    Participant

There’s one set in the nineties somewhere, isn’t there? Japan or Korea, somewhere like that.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

But all cops *are* bastards.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.