New Site Discussion

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum New Site Discussion

This topic contains 205 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Pete Part Three 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 206 posts - 1 through 206 (of 206 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Ok, so let’s move all suggestions / issues for the new site here so I can gather everything in one place and give you all a bit more information on what I’m adding in and what’s planned for the future.

Unread comments – Never fear, this is currently my top priority, although it’s proving to be a massive pain in the arse. The old site ran on Drupal and one thing Drupal does as part of core is log every user’s page visit in the database, meaning that information than then be used to show new comments since you last visited an article or forum thread. I only realised in the hours leading up to launch that WordPress does not have this, so the only plugins I’ve found are cookie based and that’s not a very nice solution. It’s very likely I’m going to have to write something myself to solve this, so if you could bear with me a bit that would be great. I’m sorry this was overlooked, because it’s the one big feature everyone was obviously going to miss if it didn’t carry over.

Category nav – Currently the top of page shows you all the categories so you can easily move between them to find what you’re looking for. There are plans to expand on this significantly, so watch this space. In the meantime, though, I’d be interested to hear any feedback you have about the site’s navigation so this can be taken into consideration.

There are also various little changes that have been suggested and I’ll be fixing little bits and bobs as we go along and I’ll try to keep you updated in here. Feel free to re-state any suggestions for us to consider. The main two things I changed yesterday were comments based:

Edit Button – Now you can edit your comment through a nice pop-up. You have this option for 15 minutes after you’ve posted a comment, after which you’ll be locked out.

Reply functionality – Before if you clicked ‘Reply’ next to a comment it would just take you to the reply box. Now, it will take the content of the comment you’re replying to, wrap it up in a blockquote, and stick it in the reply box to make quoting someone a little easier. It’s something I added on a whim, so feedback is welcome.

That’s the basics, anyway. On the whole people seem to like the new site, which is gratifying, but the re-launch is an ongoing process so I’m keen to improve on the site in the future.

mick

The list of forum topics looks really barren, bit of a sea of white going on, be nice if that could be broken up a bit in some manner?

Other than that it looks and feels pretty good, oh and as previously mentioned grab the custom login plugin and get a nice G&T logo there, the WordPress one is gash ;)

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

The list of forum topics looks really barren, bit of a sea of white going on, be nice if that could be broken up a bit in some manner?

Aye, we reduced the white space down a bit yesterday. I think I’m going to remove the ‘Voices’ column to give the title a bit more room so most threads can occupy the same space without the title wrapping. Also, I could probably shave off about 10 posts per page.

Other than that it looks and feels pretty good, oh and as previously mentioned grab the custom login plugin and get a nice G&T logo there, the WordPress one is gash ;)

Yes, this is a very good point! I was playing with the idea of using the plugin that puts all that stuff inside the site’s template, so I think I’ll do this.

mick

Incidentally I’m getting a better page load speed, not that the old site was that slow :-)

Quite a few issues with it viewing on Android but that goes for about 80% of the internet anyway lol

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Incidentally I’m getting a better page load speed, not that the old site was that slow :-)

Hurrah! That’ll be down to WordPress generally being a lot leaner than Drupal.

Quite a few issues with it viewing on Android but that goes for about 80% of the internet anyway lol

Yeah, I’ve noticed this. It seems entirely random as to whether it shows headers in the right font, or scales up the font size.

mick

In Downloads>Rarities and Misc.>Misc. The links to old OD articles all 404.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Gah, that’s down to cuntery. I’ll unlink all that.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Actually, no, that’s my fault.

mick

Bite Back link in the description for the Rob & Doug Bite Back AVI goes to an empty BBC page.

Link to TV Zone in Print Archive 404s.

Behind the Scenes link under The Movie Yea No… 404s.

EDIT: clicking your avatar also 404s for me.

Yours sincearly, Mick the QA cunt.

mick

Actually RE: that last edit, clicking on any of the G&T Staff’s avatars 404s.

mick

Wish I could just PM you all this shit lol but clicking your avatar…. ^^^

Incidentally, also highly recommend the SEO Ultimate plugin, has a 404 monitor ;-)

There seems to be a time limit on editing my previous post :-/

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Aye, edit time limits are set at the moment. 15 minutes, I believe. Don’t think there’s any PM function either, but keep posting in here, that works for me!

mick

Ok, just don’t want people to think I’m a massive nitpicking cunt with this string of posts ;-)

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

SOME of these things are now fixed.

More importantly, you should all have new comment notifications for posts only (not the Forum just yet) tomorrow. Just testing it out for a bit.

Tyler Perry

Search for “madea” gives no results.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

More importantly, you should all have new comment notifications for posts only (not the Forum just yet) tomorrow. Just testing it out for a bit.

Erm, things have progressed a bit and this now includes the forum. And I’ve made it live. Bear in mind it might still have kinks in it, but let me know how you find it.

It will stop classing a comment as new after it’s a month old (this is mainly so I can keep the database nice and clear), but that also means that all replies and comments that are less than a month old will be showing as ‘new’, but I’m afraid that’s unavoidable.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

And yes, I realise giving the new site EXACTLY THE SAME important functionality as the old one isn’t technically progress, but fuck you.

HelloMabel

> I’d be interested to hear any feedback you have about the site’s navigation so this can be taken into consideration.

Something that the old forum had that would be nice here: “Go to bottom of thread.” Even if it’s just as a stopgap measure until you can get the “view unread posts” thing working.

Also, “Return to top of thread” after the newest post. Someone suggested this for the old site; maybe it can finally happen on this one.

The site looks good and generally works really well, though. I’m impressed that the down time was so short.

Somebody

Reply functionality – Before if you clicked ‘Reply’ next to a comment it would just take you to the reply box. Now, it will take the content of the comment you’re replying to, wrap it up in a blockquote, and stick it in the reply box to make quoting someone a little easier. It’s something I added on a whim, so feedback is welcome.

Useful, but less so since there isn’t an equivalent on the forum! [which is, y’know, standard for fora since UBB back in the 1990s…]

Seb Patrick

Can I just state for the record how much I hate “fora” as a plural for “forum”?

genericnerdyusername

I hate dandy as the plural of dandelion.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Useful, but less so since there isn’t an equivalent on the forum! [which is, y’know, standard for fora since UBB back in the 1990s…]

One step at a time.

Seb Patrick

I’d hate to give Somebody a birthday present, only to be told how I should have picked something better.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

To explain the apparent lack of complexity on the forums, I’m using bbPress which is fairly new (in it’s current state as a proper Plugin, anyway) so do bear with me if it doesn’t quite live up to your standards. The reply functionality will pop up today, along with ‘Jump to Top’ and ‘Jump to Bottom’ links, just as soon as I can be bothered to find the right templates.

I know Mick has mentioned the site looks a bit bobbins on Android, but is anyone having any serious difficulties loading the site on their mobile? Si’s having no end of trouble on his BlackBerry so I’d be interested if anyone else is having troubles.

Pete Part Three

Looks fine on Safari and Chrome on iOS.

si

> Si’s having no end of trouble on his BlackBerry

And Cappsy’s being an absolute *darling* about it all. Emails and allsorts. Though those photos are maybe a bit much, tbh.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Though those photos are maybe a bit much, tbh.

You love it.

mick

If they’re the same ones you’ve sent me he’s probably wanked himself dry.

si

…and I’m spent.

Sarah

If you just remove that pixel and insert a space there, it will all be perfect.

PS I feel I’ve been missing out on the photo front.

mick

Just wanted to say to anyone browsing on android grab Dolphin browser (it’s excellent by the way) and set User Agent to iPhone or iPad option if you’re on a tab, the site will display fine.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

It’s also fairly good on Chrome for Android.

HelloMabel

Thank you for “jump to bottom/top” and “unread comments.” Awesome.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

You’re very welcome, Mabel!

si

Here’s a thing that always bothered* me about the old site – why don’t links open in new windows/tabs? I know I only need to right-click and select the option myself, but I do sometimes forget, and I’m also an awkward twat.
    Seriously, is that something you’d be able to change? It’s just that if I’m reading a G&T piece, and there’s a link halfway down the page, it’d be nice to just click on it and have it open while I finish reading G&T.

*’bothered’ isn’t the right word. It’s too strong a word. Really, it is. I don’t give that much of a shit, to be honest, but…y’know. Awkward…

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Here’s a thing that always bothered* me about the old site – why don’t links open in new windows/tabs? I know I only need to right-click and select the option myself, but I do sometimes forget, and I’m also an awkward twat.
    Seriously, is that something you’d be able to change? It’s just that if I’m reading a G&T piece, and there’s a link halfway down the page, it’d be nice to just click on it and have it open while I finish reading G&T.

The problem with making all links open in a new window is that it removes the choice from the user as there will be no way to open that link in the current window. It does mean an extra step if you prefer new windows, but the way we do it now is definitely the preferable method.

si

Furry muff.

Just throwing problems at you for the sake of it. ;)

si

I’ve no idea how I posted that post above. I was on my phone, and I couldn’t click on ‘submit’. Oh well, can’t grumble. :)

Jimboid

A furry muff is never a problem, accident or not.

Nick R

why don’t links open in new windows/tabs? I know I only need to right-click and select the option myself

You “only” need to right click and select the option? No, that’s far too much work – what you want is a middle-click or a ctrl-click!

mick

> A furry muff is never a problem, accident or not.

I prefer the classic well kept triangle myself.

Ridley

Is it just me seeing Si’s name to the right of his avatar?

mick

It’s a very subtle political statement.

Seb Patrick

Here’s a thing that always bothered* me about the old site – why don’t links open in new windows/tabs?

I would have thought that’s because NO WEBSITE SHOULD EVER DO THAT, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER.

si

Is it just me seeing Si’s name to the right of his avatar?

I think it’s possibly because my name’s so short.

Sarah

It’s in the middle!

Pecospete666

What happen to who is on line?

Ben Paddon

This is the worst reenactment of “Who’s on first?” I’ve ever read.

Continue.

Pete Part Three

Would be great to have “Latest Forum Comments” on the Home page.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Would be great to have “Latest Forum Comments” on the Home page.

I’m not sure where I’d put it, really. The sidebar’s too full as it is.

Ben Paddon

Put it where all those rubbish articles and news posts are at the moment. Nobody’s reading those anyway.

Pecospete666

Why do my links not ome out?

performingmonkey

Because your name’s not Holly?

Pete Part Three

Either that or you don’t post them properly. One of the two.

Ben Paddon

No one can post links, pecospete. The site has never supported it.

Ridley

>Why do my links not ome out?

Too old and too crypto-fascist.

performingmonkey

> No one can post links, pecospete. The site has never supported it.

Pecospete666

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Lets see if this works?

That works

Sarah

I’m not liking this “Fuck Off Sarah” everytime I go into the account page (top right corner), Smeg Off Sarah would be preferable.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Hah, yeah, I’ve been meaning to remove that. I only did it so I could tell Somebody to fuck off.

Pecospete666

I like ,it it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling that I’m wanted here.

Sarah

Now it just says ‘Sarah’, can I have the “Fuck Off” readded, it’s far too insiped now.

Ben Paddon

“SARAAAAAAAH!!!!”

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Recent forum replies now added to the sidebar, you fuckers.

mick

*cry-wanks*

performingmonkey

Really, really impressed by the new site.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

If you were *really* impressed, pm, you’d be cry-wanking along with Mick.

performingmonkey

Yeah but you already know that’s a given with me. ;)

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Good point, well made.

mick

We’re mutually cry-wanking.

JamesTC

Quantumly entangled cry-wanking.

mick

Was that an offer?

si

Recent forum replies now added to the sidebar, you fuckers.

Great stuff.

Meanwhile, I wonder what Robert Llewellyn’s up to…WAIT A MINUTE?! WHERE HAVE THE BOBBYLLEW LINKS GONE?!

JamesTC

Ganymede and Titan is no longer interested in the audience Robert Llewellyn used to provide.

Alex

The TOS link is going to redwarf.co.uk rather than reddwarf.co.uk.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Good spot, ta!

Alex

Oh, same goes for the forum link it seems.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

SHIT.

Ridley

What about the mints?

Carlito

The thing is, I’ve had so much coffee I don’t think I can manage any mints until tomorrow.

Ben Paddon

HARD FUCKIN’.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

In case you’re wondering, a red comment counts in the Recent Comments or Recent Replies boxes indicates that thread contains unread comments.

Pete Part Three

And very nice it is too. Thappsy.

Nick R

It’s a shame that the reviews can now only be browsed through category view, which means that to get to old stuff you have to scroll through several very long pages. The index page that was there before was much easier to navigate, especially for the DVD reviews which had the format: “Series V: Seb’s review | John’s review”.

I realise the advantage that things based on Categories and dynamic WordPress Posts are automatically updated, whereas static WordPress Pages have to be manually updated. But the Downloads section is still laid out using static pages, and it’s much easier to navigate than category view, so could the same be done for reviews?

A reviews index page would also allow you to restore the classic phrase: “Warning: Contains Crime Traveller”. :-P

Tables don’t seem to work well in the current version of the site, in either Firefox or Chrome. For example, I see this, not sure if anyone else does. Some tables don’t look good because they don’t have internal cell borders.

While browsing round some archive.org versions of the site for my post in the birthday comments thread, I found a page with a table that looks fine in its archived version, but in its current version the image doesn’t load, and the table is entirely gone and screws up the layout of the sidebar and comments form.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

It’s a shame that the reviews can now only be browsed through category view, which means that to get to old stuff you have to scroll through several very long pages. The index page that was there before was much easier to navigate, especially for the DVD reviews which had the format: “Series V: Seb’s review | John’s review”.

GOOD POINT. We had a discussion about how we’d move that over, but it was kind of forgotten about. I’ve remembered it, now, though, so it’ll turn up soon.

Tables don’t seem to work well in the current version of the site, in either Firefox or Chrome. For example, I see this, not sure if anyone else does. Some tables don’t look good because they don’t have internal cell borders.

While browsing round some archive.org versions of the site for my post in the birthday comments thread, I found a page with a table that looks fine in its archived version, but in its current version the image doesn’t load, and the table is entirely gone and screws up the layout of the sidebar and comments form.

Yeah, the table styles have had no attention since the relaunch, those static pages were just moved across as is and I’ve been intending to fix them after I got some of the more technical aspects out of the way. Thanks for bringing that fucked up page to my attention, too, I shall FIX.

There’s bound to be some archive stuff that’s a bit knackered (missing images, broken links, iffy layouts) so everyone let me know if you find one!

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Also, I’ve never much liked the ‘Older Posts’ / ‘Newer Posts’ way to navigating archives, so I’ll probably stick in numbered pagination there at some point.

mick

I’m now becoming massively depressed about how well you’re update is looking, as my new site launch is 6 months behind schedule :(

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

To be fair, this relaunch was about 2 years behind schedule.

I take it you’ve got shit loads of content to migrate? That’s the fucker. Luckily, the majority of this design was sorted by Seb months and months ago so I didn’t have all that to worry about.

si

*Mick’s and Cappsy’s site update tech type speak whizzes over head*

Also, I posted that about wondering what Robert Llewellyn was up to, then I discover this morning that at 10:08 last night,he updated his MITRM AudioBook. Coincidence?!

mick

> I take it you’ve got shit loads of content to migrate?

Yea, to say the least, over 400 games reviews that all need sorting into appropriate categories and reformatting from standard old HTML pages.

You’re lucky in that G&T has a team, SS:UK’s team is me haha

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

To be fair, 80% of our team did absolutely fuck all for this relaunch.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Yea, to say the least, over 400 games reviews that all need sorting into appropriate categories and reformatting from standard old HTML pages.

Holy fuck, so you have to manually copy everything? God speed and bless you, son.

mick

Yep, and I also have to take new higher-res screenshots for every single title :(

Seb Patrick

Just stretch them, no-one’ll notice.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

On the plus side it’s going to look sexy as hell when you’re finished.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Mick: Yep, and I also have to take new higher-res screenshots for every single title :(

Seb: Just stretch them, no-one’ll notice.

Seriously, just do that, and then just replace them with newer ones when you get time. :)

It’s the kind of thing I would love to help out on. Even if it’s just batch processing.

mick

Quadruple re-post! impressive.

mick

I’m sure you will all be as relieved as I am to learn that the new look G&T is still functional under Amiga Workbench 3.1;

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

That is exactly 7 types of amazing.

Ben Paddon

I was actually going to check that myself tonight.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

I’m sure you will all be as relieved as I am to learn that the new look G&T is still functional under Amiga Workbench 3.1;

Hah, that’s smashing!

mick

I’ll check it on the Dreamcast later in the week ;)

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

That should be interesting, especially if the browser supports stylesheets. If it does things could get very messy.

Seb Patrick

Can someone test it on RISC OS?

mick

I’ve sold my Archimedes sadly, I can fire up one of my SGi machines and test it on IRIX if you like ;)

si

Just spotted the new home page pagination.Very nice. Also good to see the Users Onlne list return, like an old friend. :)

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Once again we edge ever closer to actually having the same functionality we’ve always had before.

Pecospete666

Great, Links even work for me! :)

mick

Honestly Pete, you should try the site on a an Apple Macintosh in 1bit black and white, it’s glorious.

Pecospete666

How about a Timex Sinclair Z80x!

mick

Yep, grab the ZeddyFox browser.

Brayds2006

Is the site currently loading very slowly for anyone else or is it just me?

EDIT: Oh dear, I posted twice. …erm…WHAT’S THAT BEHIND YOU!?! *runs like greased-up wind*

Brayds2006

Is the site currently loading very slowly for anyone else or is it just me?

mick

All fine for me.

Carlito

Yes, noticeably slower for me today.

Ben Paddon

I’m having some slowdown, but then I’m also downloading [SOMETHING PERFECTLY LEGAL] at the moment.

Pecospete666

What happen to peoples Curriculum vitae? or CV?

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Might’ve just bee a temporary issue with our hosts (we’re on shared hosting so some slowdown every now and then is expected). Anyone still having problems today?

In other news, something new has turned up on the home page. Hope you like it.

Brayds2006

It’s been a bit slow this evening (or morning in UK), but it was fine earlier.

si

Ooh. New highlights picture bar thing. Liking that, Cappsy, nice.

Pete Part Three

Very nice. Would be good if it was always there, showing highlights of that particular area of the site.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Very nice. Would be good if it was always there, showing highlights of that particular area of the site.

That’s not a bad idea, actually. I’m a bit conscious of space, so opted to reduce it down to just the nav when you’re looking at archive pages, but there’ll always be ways to improve it so I’ll keep this suggestion in mind.

mick

I may be alone in this, and it’s pretty trivial but I’m really missing the sidebar login box.

Pete Part Three

I’d agree that it’s a *slight* nuisance to go to another page to do it. Also, I often don’t realise I’m not logged in.

mick

Yea I keep doing the same thing, it’s laziness on my part really as I just dive in without looking at the top links.

Perhaps a little welcome script indicating you’re logged in…

mick

I would also like to request a harem of Vietnamese prostitutes and the moon on a stick please Mr Capps.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Sorry guys, I’m not ignoring you, I’ve just had an exceptionally lazy weekend sitting on my arse playing Half-Life 2.

Basically, I’m loath to put anything else in the already over-stuffed sidebar. HOWEVER, I do realise the whole login situation can be improved and I was thinking of doing all of this:

* Greatly extend the session expiration time to cut down on the amount of times you need to login
    * Make sure the site redirects you to your last viewed page after logging in, rather than dumping you back on the homepage
    * Possibly restyling the account nav a bit so it stands out from the rest
    * Play some more Half-Life 2 and pretend it’s 2004 again.

mick

Oh Cappsy, dont you know all the cool kids are still playing Counter Strike 1.6 ;-)

Somebody

Something screwy:
    25 new comments, 23 total comments

mick

The homepage is mega-slow loading for me from home and work, but I’m guessing thats due to the traffic?

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Something screwy:

Oops, it seems to be including unapproved comments in the count.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

The homepage is mega-slow loading for me from home and work, but I’m guessing thats due to the traffic?

I think so, it seems to occasionally have a fit but it’s loading ok for me, now…

I’m gonna have to look at some solutions for next week, because the site was fucked on Thursday.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Cappsy is currently busy playing his computer games, but prior to this, he updated the slider thing on the front page, so that the first thing you see is the four most recent bits of non-news content, followed by the individual categories when you click through. Note the colour scheme.

mick

Was that slider of your own coding Mr Capps or was it modified from one already available? I’ve been after something very similar.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

I wrote it from scratch because I’ve been doing about a hundred of these things at work recently. I’d be happy to send you my awful code for it if it’d be of any use!

mick

I’d really appreciate that, I’m far too busy coding, re-coding and re-coding again for my sites sodding search function at the moment.

mick

mick at segasaturn dot co dot uk by the way ;)

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Righto, I’ll clean it up and deliver it to your inbox tomorrow!

And after we’ve finished I’ll send you over the slider code.

mick

I’m lubing up in excited anticipation.

mick

I thought it important to let you know that G&T is also
    working faultlessly in DOS on my old NT box, on which I am
    typing this very message.

mick

Although sadly I had to do it through command line in NT4 as opposed tu pure dos so i could screenshot, my camera didn’t like my old CRT…

I hear someone wrote a BASIC web browser for the spectrum… that could be a giggle, BRB.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

I hear someone wrote a BASIC web browser for the spectrum… that could be a giggle, BRB.

The fact that people are doing this gladdens my heart more than I can say.

Tarka Dal

Well it’s Speccy > C64 ‘ennit… Ah. I joke of course.

I have a request. Is it possible to develop your webs so that clicking on ‘xx new’ on a topic thread takes you to the first of the xx new messages?

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Erm… it does.

Tarka Dal

Curious.

Just tried it in Firefox 16.0.1 and it went to Mr Capps face up there /\ rather than yours down here.

Jo

Works fine for me in Chrome Version 22.0.1229.94 m and also in Firefox 16.0.1

Tarka Dal

Didn’t work on that one either. Strange. Oh well if it works for everyone else maybe it’s some weird Uni access issue.

mick

Working fine for me on firefox, chrome and dolphin for android.

Tarka Dal

I think I was just jabbing the buttons too hard.

p2p_productions

Cappsy, FYI – my most recent comment on the GHOSTWATCH thread looks a bit fucked up. Don’t know why, but I couldn’t add two > comments on one response (only one came up) so I responded to Jo and Danny individually, but I’ve just noticed that half of one reply seems to have encroached onto the other and of course, there’s no edit option anymore to try and correct. Weird.

HelloMabel

What about 2 or 3 shades of grey, as it were, for a text block within a text block? I’m getting kind of mixed up by these replies to replies to replies in the episode discussion threads.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Actually that can be done. but I did it by accident as I didnt close the blockquote tag and it created another nested reply within it. Cant’ remember exactly what it was that i did.

p2p_productions

The blockquote thing didn’t work for me initially (maybe I wasn’t doing it right?) For some reason, it just condensed *everything* into a grey box, despite copying in between the inverted commas. Will test now using Danny and HelloMabel’s last two posts. Hopefully two grey boxes can be seen:

p2p_productions

Ha, see! Nothing above. Weird.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

It’s very possible that the forum is filtering out the blockquote tags for normal, scummy users… I’ll get that fixed.

HelloMabel

Er… Some of the articles on the front page have swapped pictures.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

That’s a bizarre bug. Any chance of a screenshot?

The only thing I can think of is there’s some weird browser caching going on, because it looks fine for me on various different PCs…

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

I don’t know what Mabel is referring to, but Ian was mucking round with the images a few days ago, maybe it could’ve been that. What exactly was swapped round, Mabel?

HelloMabel

It’s fixed now. :) It was Tanya’s review, The Noise from the Dwarf review and one of the Lemons articles.

HelloMabel

Sorry to keep bugging you. This is not how the discussion comments normally look.

[ADMIN EDIT: removed image link because Chrome doesn’t like that image hosting site]

Pete Part Three

Wow. What version of FF is that?

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

That’s not how any comments have ever looked to me either! Is that happening every time you view that page, Mabel, or was it a one-off?

Paul Muller

Photobucket

I got this yesterday – either my iPhone is on the blink or this is some sort of hilarious cyber attack by Rob Grant.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Ah, smashing, I knew that fucking slider would fuck something up for someone. Does it normally load ok?

And, yeah, Mabel it looks like you’re running a very, very old version of Firefox. I imagine it’s someone’s misplaces HTML tag in a comment that is automatically corrected in most browsers, but fucking up yours. Is upgrading to the latest Firefox an option for you, or is that on a public computer?

Paul Muller

Yeah it seems fine now, guess it must have been a one off.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

That’s because I removed this:

if ($client == 'Paul Muller's iPhone') then
    FUCK EVERYTHING UP
    end if;

Sorry, not sure how that got in there.

Seb Patrick

For a minute I thought Paul’s phone had been attacked by Dennis Nedry.

Paul Muller

Photobucket

HelloMabel

Rats, I had a feeling it was on my end of things. I’m on a public computer because my laptop was stolen. :(

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Well, that sucks! Maybe mention to the place this public computer is located that it’s in their best interests to keep all their browser software up to date? There are all sorts of security and usability problems with using old browsers.

Ben Kirkham

You’re such a wise Web-man, Mr Capps! I’m looking at getting some good antivirus software for my new laptop (didn’t steal it from Mabel!), what can you recommend? I heard that Norton 360 is good.

Pecospete666

Very slow! No photos? can not added a thumb pic?

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Ganymede & Titan bear no responsibility for the unrelenting stupidity of individual users.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

You’re such a wise Web-man, Mr Capps! I’m looking at getting some good antivirus software for my new laptop (didn’t steal it from Mabel!), what can you recommend? I heard that Norton 360 is good.

Oh, shucks!

I’m actually quite behind on anti-virus stuff. I’ve long since got sick of the increasingly bloated AVG Free and I just rely on Windows Defender these days. Never liked Norton, though.

Jo

I think a ‘block user’ button would be a lovely feature. KTHXBYE!

Ben Kirkham

I agree, AVG is vastly overrated. I’ve just got rid of a very destructive Trojan Horse from my system using a Norton 360 trial, so I think I need to shop around for some good, permanent software!

mick

Wow, suprised to see that public computers are running versions of Firefox THAT old, some of them have pretty worrying security issues.

Site displays perfectly on my Pentium II running Windows 98SE and Firexox 8 by the way:

HelloMabel

>Wow, suprised to see that public computers are running versions of Firefox THAT old, some of them have pretty worrying security issues.

I learned long ago that “Land of Opportunity” includes the opportunity to make stupid decisions. ;-) It’s one of our faculty computers at work, so I’m not allowed to install anything, but I put in a request and they’ve installed Chrome.

mick

Sounds much like our PCs at work, we’re locked out from doing anything now (despite the fact I put all these PCs and the network up here together) so we have vastly varying versions of chrome, firefox and ie on all of them :-/

They even disabled the USB ports meaning we cant run browsers off jump drives, however they have not disabled the DVD drives so we can boot them into any number of portable Linux distributions for shenanigans :-D

Somebody

Sounds much like our PCs at work, we’re locked out from doing anything now (despite the fact I put all these PCs and the network up here together) so we have vastly varying versions of chrome, firefox and ie on all of them :-/

Wait… I thought Chrome “phoned home” every time you ran it, and it refused to start if it found it wasn’t the latest version and the autoupdate failed?

Jo

>Wait… I thought Chrome “phoned home” every time you ran it, and it refused to start if it found it wasn’t the latest >version and the autoupdate failed?

I’ve NEVER had that happen and I always use Chrome these days.

Pecospete666

Why do some threads have a “REPLY” an others do not?

si

Comments on articles have the ‘reply’ button, forum posts don’t.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Yeah, that’s something I want to fix. It’d be useful to have the same quoting functionality we have on the comments.

Ben Kirkham

Is anyone else having trouble with the forum? The text is off-centre and the sidebar bleeds over into the comments. I’m on Firefox.

Sam Johnson

Yeah, texts off centre for me as well, and I’m on Chrome.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

This is a hang over from updating the forum software earlier in the week and it over-riding some of my hacky template changes. I fixed it pretty quickly, but it seems the new stylesheets aren’t loading for everything. I suggest hard refreshing your page (Ctrl + F5 on Windows) so it forces it to read the new styles.

Pecospete666

All’s well on IPads! full and mini.

Ben Kirkham

” I suggest hard refreshing your page (Ctrl + F5 on Windows) so it forces it to read the new styles.”

Cheers, Cappsy, worked a treat. Is there anything about websites you don’t know?

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

> Cheers, Cappsy, worked a treat. Is there anything about websites you don’t know?

Apparently I don’t know how to gracefully update WordPress plugins, so there’s that!

Ben Paddon

Lots of weird stuff happening with WordPress updates at the moment. They’ve broken the theme I used for PortsCenter. I’m no programmer… so I decided not to bother fixing it and had a biscuit instead.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Oh, it that the WordPress 3.5 update? I was going to run that today, but I’m always nervous with the big updates…

Blisschick

My stuff is broke, too. I know it’s got to be your fault, since I haven’t been home all day. :P

Seb Patrick

One of the images on this page is causing Chrome to chuck up a malware warning, it seems…

JamesTC

Just got that too. I think it is the image on post #203377.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Removed the image. HelloMabel, I’m not sure if Google are correct, but it seems the site you use to image host isn’t all that legit…

HelloMabel

You mean the site I found by googling “free image hosting”? How can that be???

:( Sorry, everyone. And I was so proud of myself for figuring out how to post a screencap.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

No worries, I doubt the site itself is dodgy but it’s just likely they’ve had some stuff reported so Google didn’t take any chances.

I think Image Shack is still going if you want to find a new place.

Katydid

Imgur also works.

HelloMabel

Cheers, guys. :)

Seb Patrick

Imgur’s generally the quickest/easiest/stablest, in my experience. There’s even a Chrome (and probably Firefox) plugin where you can right-click and re-host an image there and then.

Pecospete666

J.C. I like that initial, How long do we have to edit a post after posting?

fozzibear1

Im with cappsy re: Norton indeed i’ll go further as far as I am concerned Nortons anti virus suite IS a virus

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

It’s 15 minutes, I think, PP.

Pecospete666

Can that be made longer? I have so many brilliant add-ons that it just wouldn’t have the same effect by a new post.

Pete Part Three

You could try thinking about what you’ve written before you…

Nah, nevermind.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 206 posts - 1 through 206 (of 206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.