Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf and Muse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    IonianKnight
    Participant

I’m a fan of both Red Dwarf and the band Muse and I wonder if others feel a bond between the two. I don’t have any evidence to suggest Muse’s work is inspired by Red Dwarf; it’s more that I can see shared themes and atmospheres. Weirdness and spacey-ness flow through the veins of both, particularly on Muse’s songs and videos from the Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, and Black Holes and Revelations eras. There’s the fusion of science fiction and western in ‘Knights of Cydonia’ / ‘Gunmen of the Apocalypse’ (in turn inspired by Michael Crichton’s Westworld); cryogenics (‘Sing for Absolution’ / numerous Dwarf episodes); interstellar travel; global disaster; genetics… the list goes on. It could also be said that singer Matt Bellamy bears a passing resemblance to a young Chris Barrie… as I say, I don’t have any evidence of links between the two – just interested in what others think.

Jonsmad
    Participant

I think you’ve answered your own question. They share some antecedent influence of science and technlogical writtings of various kinds, which is pretty wide, you can say it of many other creative artists of many different genre. Not much evidence that either influences any aspect of their own works. But as thats not a very funny answer I’ll go for. Yes Super Massive White holes!

Paul Muller
    Participant

The Sing for Absolution video has some nice sci-fi design in it, which looks like it draws from similar visual roots to RD, namely 2001/Star Wars/Alien etc.

Making Of: Muse – Sing For Absolution video

JamesTC
    Participant

Muse is in the road by the way. Not in the car driving.

MANI506
    Participant

The only bands I know of that have declared their admiration of Red Dwarf are Gerard from My Chemical Romance, Carl Barat from The Libertines and Eternal. I have never heard Oasis say they like the show (as claimed by Patrick Stewart during Red Dwarf night) and I watch a lot of Oasis interviews on YouTube because I refuse to accept the 90s are over.

Pretty sure you’ll find the ’90s are back.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

It is 1993 all over again, new Dwarf, X-Files & err..Goodnight Sweetheart this year as well as new albums from Bowie, Radiohead, Suede, PJ Harvey and Underworld.

MANI506
    Participant

The Suede and Radiohead albums are amazing.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Amy Winehouse was an admitted Red Dwarf fan. She read the books and everything.

IonianKnight
    Participant

I’ve never read… a book.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.