Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf Animated Xmas Special – “Mistletoe & Whine”

Viewing 57 posts - 1 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Carlito
    Participant

Hey y’all.

To celebrate the holiday season currently being forced down our throats, we have spent the last couple of weeks conjuring up a little Christmas themed episode of Red Dwarf Animated, entitled “Mistletoe & Whine”.

Due to both time and cast limitations, it’s pretty much a two-hander between Lister and Rimmer – bit of an extended bunkroom scene – which we’ve put together in three weeks. Considering our previous video Timehole took around 4 months, we’re very pleased with the turnaround from script-to-screen and genuinely hope you guys enjoy watching it. Please, as always, we’d love to hear any feedback/critique/thoughts you may have.

So without further ado, here is the link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbjs5v_red-dwarf-animated-mistletoe-whine_shortfilms

DISCLAIMER: Red Dwarf Animated is an unofficial non-commercial fan tribute to the show, and is not endorsed by nor affiliated with Grant Naylor Productions.

Ridley
    Participant

Not working for me. It insists there’s been a technical error and to reload despite other videos playing fine.

Kris Carter
    Participant

I enjoyed that, it was pretty good! Some good character bits, and some good gags, it worked well. The animation is minimal, but given the timeframe it was produced in, that’s fine. Pete’s voice acting for Lister is more motive, which si is good, and the Ben’s Rimmer usually hits the mark (although sometimes it’s a spot on David Mitchell instead of Arnold Rimmer!). Personally, I’d have shortened it a little, but it doesn’t overstay it’s welcome.

Nice work guys!

Muzzy
    Participant

Easily the best one of these I’ve seen you do. I really like the voice for Lister now, during his annecdotes I could almost hear Craig. Not so convinced by Rimmer’s voice but there’s something there. At times it gets pretty close but as Kris said it can often get a bit Mitchell-esque or go for a complete wander. Overall sound quality was better too which is a good sign.

Animation was alright though obviously it didn’t really need a lot considering the context of the scene. Howvever the characters did seem a bit stiff.

Probably the most important thing is the gags and I gotta say there were some decent lines in there. Got a few good laughs out of me for sure. Largnog was brilliant and the annecdotes were pretty amusing. Very impressive!

Oh, and I thought the length was just about right.

Kris Carter
    Participant

Yeah, largnog was a great gag – and the whole “their enthusiasm for the sex… it was infectious.” “The sex?” “No, the enthusiasm!” I liked that. :)

Blisschick
    Participant

Loved it!

Pongo
    Participant

Great job! Largnog is not unheard of. Friends of mine have made alenog with little success – the beer doesn’t stand up to the cream unless you’re willing to use something like Sam Adams’ Utopias which sort of defeats the purpose of using beer in the first place.

In any case, good writing and acting. Rimmer’s put-downs were right on the money. I thought that after the movie was over Holly would smile inanely and call Lister “David” in a misguided attempt at consolation that Lister would poo-poo but inwardly enjoy. But that’s probably out of character for Holly.

Makes you wonder how the Boys from the Dwarf would celebrate Christmas though.

Carlito
    Participant

Cheers for the comments guys, glad you liked it.

By the way, it’s meant to be “lardnog”. Although kicking myself a little for not thinking of “largnog”.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It’s a really nice idea. It’s kind of like Red Dwarf meets The Royle Family (as in the good, immobile, episodes rather than the shite they’re pedalling out nowadays) and having IAWL in the background throughout is a perfect fit. The setting of festering around the TV is perfect for this kind of thing. Little action, and dialogue heavy.

That said, it’s probably a little too long. The story about Lister growing extra bodyparts is a rather thankless bit of fan-service rather than a funny anecdote and I’m not sure it needed to verge so heavily into sentimentality at the end. The tears were definitely too much.

Pete’s vocals for Lister are still too hollow for me. He needs a bit more squeak to it. Still not that sure about Ben’s Rimmer, but his Holly is great.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Too damn long. If I’m still waiting for the first line of dialogue after 30 seconds, and I see that the video lasts over twelve minutes, I ain’t gonna stick around.

hummingbird
    Participant

That was great! I really enjoyed it.
    Some really funny lines – I loved Rimmer’s ‘home alone’ anecdote and ‘she was really fit …. having a fit’.
    Although the animation was minimal, I don’t think it mattered in this case as the dialogue was interesting enough without any action. I got a very early RD feel from it, especially regarding Rimmer’s characterisation.
    Very nice indeed. Can’t believe that you put this together in 2 weeks – well done you!

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I loved it!

Constructive criticism….none really. Anything that could be said has been said already. I personally didn’t think it too long and, yeah, sure. Rimmer doesn’t sound like Chris Barrie…it does however sound very Rimmery (or should that be Rimmerish?) so that doesn’t bother me either…well done! Thanks for sharing.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I agree with an that the gap between the start of the video and the first line of dialogue was pretty mountainous for a web video, but I stuck it out and I rather enjoyed it.

Carlito
    Participant

I kinda felt like the situation warranted that period of silence… the Royle Family analogy was pretty spot on… I wanted us to build the atmosphere of boredom and ennui.

To kick right into dialogue off the bat would be to deprive the scene of the monotony that triggers its existence in the first place.

Cheers for the feedback everyone. It’s appreciated.

Kris Carter
    Participant

Yeah, the gap at the beginning was very long – if you felt that you needed a pause that long bereft of dialogue, you could’ve used some animation there to give the eye something to focus on before the dialogue starts (and to stop people thinking the video had, well, stopped…). Something like Lister sipping his largnog, dabbing his eyes with his t-shirt, while Rimmer just looks more and more incredulous. Just something small.

I’m glad I stick with it though.

Carlito
    Participant

That long shot of the two on the bunk was the very last shot created, and we’d given ourselves a deadline of yesterday so it was very much down to the wire.

Don’t get me wrong, I certainly see your point. I stand by the concept of that period of silence, but looking at it again, agree maybe something more could have happened visually during that segment. With the benefit of a bit more time we probably would have spotted that, but it is what it is.

lego7770
    Participant

Some lovely comments. Thank you guys. I have to say I rushed this ep out to get it in time for Christmas, but I wanted to get it out there as the script was a winner. points taken on the length of the intro, it needed it tho as it sets the scene and without it the viewer would have had trouble placing the characters within the scene.

Loving all the comments good or bad, you folk are helping to shape the show into something we would all want to watch

I?m going to take a few days off now to finish the xmas shopping and spend some time with my family?

Hope you all have a very happy Christmas. Take care all

P

Carlito
    Participant

Can I just take an opportunity to say that, irregardless of my involvement in RDA, Pete absolutely busts his ass with creating these shows; very long hours for zero financial reward; a real labour of love.

And completely aside from the fact I’ve been lucky enough to get a chance to play with the Red Dwarf toys and write some scripts for RDA, these eps are brought to life by one man, working tirelessly in his own home in his spare time, in tribute to the show and with nothing but the Dwarf fans in mind.

So I wanna publicly thank Pete for giving me a chance to be involved and for providing me with plenty of entertainment through his animations. It’s a joy to see scripts I wrote – some little idea that once swirled around my mind – brought to life in this way. Whether you like the RDA vids or not, this is a guy who’s donating an enormous amount of his free time to producing new, creative RD-related fan-made media, which I can respect any day of the week.

Also, thanks to the G&T staff for allowing us our own little corner of the interwebz here on these forums to bring this stuff to peoples’ attention, and to the people themselves who take the time and effort to watch and respond to the vids. So can I just echo Pete’s sentiments: many thanks for the support, and (a little early, but) happy Christmas, season’s greetings, a prosperous new year to you all! Mazel tov!

Andrew
    Participant

‘Irregardless’, there.

Language police, it’s over to you…

Carlito
    Participant

Nah, I’m good, they can’t arrest me for the same crime twice.

Carlito
    Participant

I meant regardless, I knew it was regardless, and still it happened. It just… popped in there.

Andrew
    Participant

Hey, I’d allow it. It’s been around a long time and the meaning is clear. But since it technically – and only technically – means the opposite of what you intended, the word cops are bound to show up sooner or later…

Ridley
    Participant

I agree with:

Easily the best one of these I?ve seen you do.

This. It’s what the mobisodes should have been doing.

That said, it?s probably a little too long.

This.

The story about Lister growing extra bodyparts is a rather thankless bit of fan-service rather than a funny anecdote and I?m not sure it needed to verge so heavily into sentimentality at the end. The tears were definitely too much.

This.

Disagree with:

If I?m still waiting for the first line of dialogue after 30 seconds, and I see that the video lasts over twelve minutes, I ain?t gonna stick around.

(and to stop people thinking the video had, well, stopped?)

These. Clearly it’s still progressing with the tree lights and music, clearly. Thought the pause between the end of titles and start of dialogue was fine to establish they’re watching IAWL.

Enjoyed the delivery of “… … I hate Christmas.”

I had to settle for the youtube version(s), but to me the cut off point for part one was where the whole thing should have ended and feel Holly’s contributions were unneeded in this particular bottle show.

Did have issues hearing the dialogue over the background music aswell but it seems to just be me so meh.

redhead85
    Participant

Great job Pete/Carl, very impressed how quickly it was turned around from script to finished article. Carl, sorry that my “script consultant” input wasn’t much more than random rambly emails that probably made little to no sense! Have a good Christmas guys

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Can I just take an opportunity to say that, irregardless of my involvement in RDA, Pete absolutely busts his ass with creating these shows

Yeah, but he’s no karcreat.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

But since it technically – and only technically – means the opposite of what you intended, the word cops are bound to show up sooner or later?

… a bit like a certain other phrase we could name, that I really could care less about. A LOT less.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

> Hey, I?d allow it. It?s been around a long time and the meaning is clear. But since it technically – and only technically – means the opposite of what you intended, the word cops are bound to show up sooner or later?

Whad’ymean “technically?

Andrew
    Participant

> ? a bit like a certain other phrase we could name, that I really could care less about. A LOT less.

I’m sorry, I have no idea what this means. It’s dreadfully confusing and seems to imply the opposite of your intention. Without straightening this out the meaning will be forever ambiguous and unclear. I also struggle to understand scenes in Buffy and The West Wing where it is used. :p

hummingbird
    Participant

I can forgive most things … as long as no-one uses the word ‘decimate’ in cold blood.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

To decimate is to split an object into ten equal parts by force.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

That’s a nice word, “Decimate.”

hummingbird
    Participant

> To decimate is to split an object into ten equal parts by force.

go away

Blisschick
    Participant

It has recently been pointed out to me that flammable and inflammable mean the same. Burn baby burn.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Don’t worry, it’s inflammable!

(Some day I might have more to contribute to this thread than random quotes.)

ChrisM
    Participant

Disagree with:

If I?m still waiting for the first line of dialogue after 30 seconds, and I see that the video lasts over twelve minutes, I ain?t gonna stick around.

I agree with your disagreement. (!?!)

From reading these posts I thought there’d be a massive drag at the start of the video. Having just watched it (late, I know but I get there in the end) it wasn’t an issue at all.

Apart from the odd bit here and there which felt slightly off I thought it was great overall.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

I disagree with you agreeing about the disagreement.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I?m sorry, I have no idea what this means. It?s dreadfully confusing and seems to imply the opposite of your intention.

No it doesn’t, I said I could care a lot less about said matter, meaning that it’s one that I do in fact care about. Perfectly clear. I don’t know what you thought I was trying to convey :-p

Jonsmad
    Participant

That was better than Red Christmas. Though your title isnt, it’s rubbish. But that’s about the only thing I didnt like about it, I was impressed to the point where I felt I was Christmas-eavesdropping on the boys from the dwarf for real. I love the “book reference” film they are watching setting, and how you match a bunk room scene with that christmas laze late in the day feeling, I got the “lardnog” joke, and laughed at a few other bits. Loved the animation of Kryten reminded me of that back to earth line “bobbing about in a bowl of lense cleaner”. The only time it felt fan fiction to me in a way that dissconnected my interest, was that I personally dont believe Rimmer would borrow “rasta billy skank”. Otherwise it felt as much like red dwarf as the recent dreamland felt like dr who to me.

Jonsmad
    Participant

The opening gags drew me in as well.

Carlito
    Participant

> The only time it felt fan fiction to me in a way that dissconnected my interest, was that I personally dont believe Rimmer would borrow ?rasta billy skank?

I did worry about that line, but then I figured meh it was their first week on board, Rimmer had probably never heard of it, plus he would have been trying really hard to get Lister to like him, plus Lister probably would have insisted, knowing it would likely wind a stuffy fella like Rimmer up a treat… so that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :)

Again, thanks for all the feedback guys!

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I just assumed he’d borrowed it and failed to return it because he didn’t want Lister playing it around him in the first place.

Phil
    Participant

All I can really do is echo a few of the points that have already been made.

– Writing surprisingly not bad
    – Rimmer’s performance seems to drift a bit (the David Mitchell comparison someone made is spot on)
    – Pacing is a big issue…half the length would have been fine, there’s a long dead spot at the beginning, and a few of the visual jokes have linger-on periods that break the momentum
    – Overall good though, and it does make me want to see what else you guys do. This is basically what the mobisodes SHOULD have been…and I mean that as a compliment, even if it doesn’t sound like one.
    – Also, had I thought about it, Rimmer borrowing the Rasta Billy Skank CD would have rang false with me as well…but the fact that I didn’t think about it is proof that I was paying attention to other things, which speaks to the overall strength of what I was watching. Good job.

Ridley
    Participant

I’d imagine Rimmer would borrow the CD to test a faulty CD player rather than use his Christian rock.

Dave
    Participant

>I?d imagine Rimmer would borrow the CD to test a faulty CD player rather than use his Christian rock.

An atheist that listens to Christian rock. It’s odd, isn’t it?

Andrew
    Participant

> An atheist that listens to Christian rock. It?s odd, isn?t it?

He also attends church services, according to the (re-written and re-shot) scene in Timeslides. Interesting contradictions, aren’t they?

Carlito
    Participant

In the next Red Dwarf Animated, Rimmer is an atheist no more… he sees the light!

ChrisM
    Participant

>He also attends church services, according to the (re-written and re-shot) scene in Timeslides. Interesting contradictions, aren?t they?

I thought that scene was odd. However I figured his church attendance was more due to snobbery and a misguided idea of what ‘the elite’ do, rather than a belief in God. It’s all part and parcel of his ideas of becoming an officer.

Dave
    Participant

>He also attends church services, according to the (re-written and re-shot) scene in Timeslides. Interesting contradictions, aren?t they?

Maybe in his paranoia, he’s just covering all the bases.

Carlito
    Participant

*BUMP!*

It’s that time of year again. Cheap plug for the now defunct RDA project’s Chrimbo on board the Dwarf….

Jennifer
    Participant

Well, I just watched this and found it pretty funny, a little sad, and overall, a smegging good idea! It had nice tie-ins to canon (It’s a Wonderful Life, Lister’s family, the music). It was almost like watching an episode.

Carlito
    Participant

Is it really FOUR years since we threw this together?

It’s Christmas so it’s time to bump this old thread for newbies to hopefully have a gander, at their leisure and inclination, at our little passion project post-Back to Earth, Christmas Day on Red Dwarf in animated form.

Merry Christmas G&Ters.

Phil
    Participant

Here’s my Xmas special.

An Xsms Carol

I look forward to bumping it in four years.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I have the worst f&*%ing attorneys.

Retsil Divad
    Participant

samtsirhC yreve ti hctaw annog..krow fo eceip tnellecxe gnigemS

si
    Participant

.taht enod evah thgim uoy yhw ees nac I ,sdrawkcab tleps ti ta gnikool hguohT .divaD ,’gniggems’ tlepssim uoY

Retsil Divad
    Participant

koob a daer neve reven v’I .HBT gnilleps ta doog hcum ton m’I

Pecospete666
    Participant

Shénme tā mā de nǐ zài shuō shénme?

Viewing 57 posts - 1 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.