Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf, in Stereo

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

I’ve always wondered, on the Series 1 and 2 DVDs, whilst the rest of the music in the music cues section is in glorious stereo, the title and end music are not and appear to be off-air recordings. It’s a shame we never got to hear the title theme of the first two series in stereo, as I’m sure it would have sounded amazing, but I guess the closest we’ll get is the incomplete remastered version.

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

Not that I’m complaining of course!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The Series I and II end theme is re-used in Series IV onwards, with a few exceptions during Series V. Isn’t it in stereo in those examples?

thomasaevans
    Participant

Funny… I was thinking this only the other day.

The opening theme Is Stereo on the remastered i believe – though it’s massively cut short. You also get to hear the first note much better as the volume of the ship noise is greatly reduced compared to the original series opening.

thomasaevans
    Participant

I’m obviously referring to the 2001-esc theme, not the Rock Guitar opening.

pfm
    Participant

> with a few exceptions during Series V

This still defies sense. Though I’m so glad I don’t know offhand which episodes have which version.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I think things were confused in Series V by the inclusion of the Elvis theme. I’m not entirely certain, but my guess is that the episodes were edited out of order, and when they swapped in the Elvis theme for “Waxworld” they swapped the wrong version of the regular theme back in for the remaining ones.

That’s just a guess, though. I’d love to know the real reason, but for now you’ll have to make do with my bullshit theory.

pfm
    Participant

The Elvis theme was for ‘Meltdown’ in series IV.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Ooh, fail.

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

I assume you’re all talking about this version? (http://tindeck.com/listen/dbqc)

pfm
    Participant

> I assume you’re all talking about this version? (http://tindeck.com/listen/dbqc)

Yep. Afaik we’re still none the wiser over why they even recorded a new version or when exactly it was recorded. Also…how high can you have a tambourine in a mix?? I mean ffs……

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

Also note that it was used once or twice in Series 6.

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

If I remember, Emohawk: Polymorph 2

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

If I remember, Emohawk: Polymorph 2

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

Sorry for the third comment, here is the YouTube link to prove it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lq3DEt5SEqg#t=507s)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I wonder why I thought ‘Meltdown’ was series V? Oh well.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Yep. Afaik we’re still none the wiser over why they even recorded a new version or when exactly it was recorded. Also…how high can you have a tambourine in a mix?? I mean ffs……

My guess is that it was re-recorded at the time they recorded the new intro theme, probably for the sake of consistency. Or whatever.

thomasaevans
    Participant

I’ll second that. When they recorded the rock guitar opening theme for 3, they re-recorded the end theme. Funny how It doesn’t sound anywhere near as strong as the original.

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

It’s a shame it was not included in any of the DVDs. Perhaps we could hear it brought back for the new series soon…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.