Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf related stuff from the past that’s impossible to find in 2021

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    GlenTokyo
    Participant

I was looking for a particular bit of Red Dwarf trivia, delving around on old forum posts and TOS articles and a few things appeared that I have no clue what they are, and I can’t find much if anything out about with a Google search and a check of the internet archive.

Wondered if anyone knows anything about them, or has any of their own mysteries which other people might be able to shed some light on.

First, what the hell is Weird City? Chris Veale was working on it for GNP, it had scripts and stuff, apparently it was funny but I kept getting results for an unrelated current American TV show.

From this interview: https://www.reddwarf.co.uk/features/interviews/chris-veale/index.cfm

Another one I can find no record of is a Red Dwarf indie game called Virtual Slob by Narrow Monolith Games, with praise like “The screenshots don’t look too bad considering…” from Danny Stephenson, I’d be very interested in seeing this, it seems like it was completed and came out in 2011 and has vanished since, possibly under a pile of cease and desists, but maybe someone nabbed it and G&T can play it on YouTube.

Red Dwarf: Virtual Slob

Sorry to derail the thread immediately, but I actually laughed out loud at this bit from the Chris Veale interview:

You must be pleased by the feedback from the REMASTERING and for VIII

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Sorry to derail the thread immediately, but I actually laughed out loud at this bit from the Chris Veale interview:

Yeah I think they hired the Red Dwarf USA big up executives for that feedback.

Chris Veale is also Red Dwarf related and impossible to find in 2021.

I remember looking him up a couple of years ago, I found a video of a robotic policeman if memory serves, which was about 14 years old at the time, and not a lot else.

I imagine it’s not an exciting tale, probably just started working for a company or something but it’s pretty impressive that a youngish guy got multiple TV gigs working out of a spare room.

Think if he’d done that a few years later he’d be a massive YouTuber or something.

Warbodog
    Participant

Weird City / Tales from Weird City was an animated “comic Twilight Zone-type series” that Rob and Doug failed to sell to the BBC and NBC during the Red Dwarf USA debacle. It’s talked about in some magazines from that time.

Then a G&T news story from 2005 quotes Doug writing on TOS about “An animated Grant Naylor series created in 1992 which I’m developing for TV called: Weird City. You’ll be the first people to see the storyboards.”

The original would have been the same time they were pitching Thursday Man (Walter Matthau dystopia sitcom vehicle) and Big Crunch (“a science fiction magazine show, which would cover everything, from SF and fantasy to graphic novels and nostalgia”). All those rejections might put a strain on a writing partnership.

Warbodog
    Participant

Looks like they also tried to sell it (or something similar) to ITV the first time around as “The Oo-ee-oO Dimension” (Smegazine Nov 1992). And Thursday Man was maybe a film script. No wonder they didn’t get around to writing The Last Human.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Remastered came out in 1998. This interview was in 2000. By 2007 and The Bodysnatcher Collection, Grant Naylor Productions were openly admitting that Remastered was a bit of a mess. Not sure when this re-evaluation occurred, although Series IV-VI had presumably already been canned by the time of that interview.

Warbodog
    Participant

Wondered if anyone knows anything about them, or has any of their own mysteries which other people might be able to shed some light on.

I wonder what the BBC continuity announcer said leading into the first broadcast of Back to Reality (26 March 1992) that supposedly persuaded viewers that this might be the last ever episode (maybe with Grant Naylor input).

There’s a YouTube video that claims to be from the original broadcast, but it’s just the 1993 repeat (since it says “we embark on another tour of duty around the universe now…” as BTR was aired first).

clem
    Participant

Norman’s appearance as Holly on Tomorrow’s World from around the time Series VIII aired.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Norman’s appearance as Holly on Tomorrow’s World from around the time Series VIII aired.

Hold that thought.

clem
    Participant

Ooh. Did someone say ‘G&TV Special’?

desbug
    Participant

Looks like they also tried to sell it (or something similar) to ITV the first time around as “The Oo-ee-oO Dimension” (Smegazine Nov 1992). And Thursday Man was maybe a film script. No wonder they didn’t get around to writing The Last Human.

Thursday Man lurks on Amazon as a book allegedly published in 2015 with an ISBN and everything. The blurb sounds pretty topical in these pandemic times…

I check the page optimistically every so often to see if it ever actually becomes a thing rather than a data glitch!

pfm
    Participant

Not sure when this re-evaluation occurred,

Maybe when they noticed the world and his wife slating the ever-loving fuck out of the project at any given opportunity…

Weird City / Tales from Weird City…Thursday Man (Walter Matthau dystopia sitcom vehicle) and Big Crunch (“a science fiction magazine show, which would cover everything, from SF and fantasy to graphic novels and nostalgia”)

It’s worth asking Doug about at least some (if not all…) of these, at any future Q&A.

Jonsmad
    Participant

I felt that the James Hendrie script called events and moments was likely an episode of weird city / oo ee oo zone. It was called an unproduced script from the 90s when lock down theatre did their table read during Rob grants zoom cast series last year.

Katydid
    Participant

It’s worth asking Doug about at least some (if not all…) of these, at any future Q&A.

No, I think it would better to ask the cast what their favorite episode is. The world needs to know!

Stilianides
    Participant

Doug mentioned The Thursday Man in an interview a couple of years ago and said that Jeff Goldblum wanted to be in it at the time and Steve Martin was also interested.

Walter Matthau, the person Rob and Doug actually wrote it for, hated it.

By Jove its holmes
    Participant

Walter Matthau, the person Rob and Doug actually wrote it for, hated it.

Well Doug can now DeepFake Matthau in

GlenTokyo
    Participant

In a world where all these big names actually appeared in the stuff they were apparently going to, Grant Naylor would be like the Russo Brothers or something.

JEZZMUND
    Participant

I had a poke around trying to find Virtual Slob – or indeed any means of contacting the Devs.
    Narrow Monoliths utterly shit games still exist on the Steam Library but the company itself was forced to dissolve in 2016 for non-payment of Tax it appears – the lead dev hasn’t really been seen since, his twitter in IG etc all had last activity around the same time…
    Presumably that has something to do with them getting utterly slated for releasing a ‘completed’ game (The Tower) on Steam and THEN launching a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to make it, afterwards.
    It also seems (possibly, not sure) that the lead dev is the same guy that got in the news when he tried to sell his soul on eBay years ago.
    Point of these shit words are: I can’t find any trace of Virtual Slob anywhere – let alone any screenshots – so if any of you fuckers have any, I’m seconding the “cough ’em up” request…

GlenTokyo
    Participant

I had a poke around trying to find Virtual Slob – or indeed any means of contacting the Devs.

Narrow Monoliths utterly shit games still exist on the Steam Library but the company itself was forced to dissolve in 2016 for non-payment of Tax it appears – the lead dev hasn’t really been seen since, his twitter in IG etc all had last activity around the same time…
    Presumably that has something to do with them getting utterly slated for releasing a ‘completed’ game (The Tower) on Steam and THEN launching a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to make it, afterwards.
    It also seems (possibly, not sure) that the lead dev is the same guy that got in the news when he tried to sell his soul on eBay years ago.
    Point of these shit words are: I can’t find any trace of Virtual Slob anywhere – let alone any screenshots – so if any of you fuckers have any, I’m seconding the “cough ’em up” request…

Virtual Slob is the one I’m most intrigued about. It must have been monumentally shit for it to disappear without a trace when there are so many people on twitter, tumblr, etc that just hoard and dig up Red Dwarf stuff.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.