Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Sci-fi & Your SO

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Blisschick
    Participant

I got to thinking today how even though me and my husband have always been big sci-fi fans, we have different tastes when it comes to the genre. We like many of the same series, movies, etc., but there is a point where our common interest diverges. Being a guy, he likes stuff that is more dramatic, preferably something that involves gratuitous violence with a little blood and guts thrown in, where I’m more situation/relationship/storyline oriented. (Mars vs. Venus?) He’s all into X-Files, where I had to drag him kicking and screaming to get involved with Farscape (which still totally rocks!). He got me into watching RD, but doesn’t understand my fascination with it now. I could watch my Stargate DVD until it actually wore out, but I’ve never really gotten into SG-1 or Atlantis, which he loves. He would watch ST:Voyager reruns until the TiVo box exploded. Someone will die if I have to hear that Chakotay has the bridge again.

I’m curious…how is it with other couples who share the same passion for sci-fi?

Tyrell Corporation
    Participant

Divorce him.

He likes Voyager.

Blisschick
    Participant

*laughing myself sick*

TheLeen
    Participant

Well, I’m nerdier than him. He enjoys some old-fashioned SF (the classics, basically) but he never obsesses over them the way I do.

He was the one who suggested we should watch some Battlestar Galactica together because he thought it was kinda nice. Now I’m two seasons ahead of him, I’ve bought the comics, I’ve read the fanfic, I nearly ordered the classic series, and googled the tattoos. Figure…

Blisschick
    Participant

Mine enjoys a lot of the classic stuff, too. Oddly, neither of us have ever been into Battlestar Galactica, as kids or adults. My best friend was all into the original series, though. I think she had a crush on Dirk Benedict.

It’s a close call who’s nerdier between us, but I’m probably more so than he is.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

Me and my other half have different tastes in sci-fi.

Star Trek I’m a voyager/Next Gen person, she’s TOS/Next Gen (ooh, overlap!)

She tried to get me to watch Firefly and I fell asleep, didn’t like the film.

We both like Star Wars and hate the new films (though part 3 has its merits)

Um… yeah.

Baz
    Participant

Well, both my fiancee and I are big Red Dwarf fans, we both collect anime and we met via a Terry Pratchett Discworld group. Currently I’m introducing her to Firefly, which she likes. Oddly she’s a huge fan of Blake’s 7 despite not being born until 3 years after it finished. And she’s a Prisoner fan. Not so much a Star Trek fan, she thinks it’s cheesy, have yet to introduce her to the new Galactica.

ChrisM
    Participant

I wouldn?t class it as pure sci-fi), Heroes, Dollhouse we?ve seen the first episode of and both enjoyed. We both liked the first series of Sarah Connor Chronicles and both got bored within a few episodes of the second

The last episode was actually pretty good. A 1920s terminator!

Battlestar Galactica we?ve never seen.

I’ve found it a bit slow going in the past, but overall it’s good. The last series is great so far.

Unfortunately I have no girlfriend to have TV conflicts with. On the plus side I have no girlfriend to have TV conflicts with! Brilliant!

Jo
    Participant

Well we have a mutual love of Red Dwarf, obviously, New Who, Fringe, Firefly & Serenity, Back to the Future, Hitchhikers, LOST (though I wouldn’t class it as pure sci-fi), Heroes, Dollhouse we’ve seen the first episode of and both enjoyed. We both liked the first series of Sarah Connor Chronicles and both got bored within a few episodes of the second, Terminator films 1 & 2 we both love.
    Hyperdrive we both dispise, Torchwood we’re both equally ambivalent about.

As far as other sci-fi goes…

I adore SG1, The film was OK too, Ian can take it or leave it.
    I like Star Wars (the originals not so much the new ones) Ian has only ever seen ‘Star Wars: A New Hope’ which he didn’t particularly like. Star Trek I like, I’ve never seen much of the classic series but I was a big fan of Next Generation (thanks to the BBC2 teatime slot) DS9 was good, Voyager was ok, Enterprise – Meh!
    I’ve not seen the I think the 2 most recent films but the others I’ve seen and mostly enjoyed. Ian has no opinion on Star Trek.
    X-Files I loved when it was first screened but I haven’t seen it for years and I stopped watching when Duchovny left. Ian has no opinion on X-Files

Ian loves classic Who, Futurama both of which I’m not really fussed about, He has the Aliens boxset, I’ve seen the films but wouldn’t go out of my way to watch them. The Flipside of Dominick Hide Ian apparently likes and I’ve never heard of it! I watched the first series of The Sarah Jane Adventures with Ian, but I’ve not seen it since and while it was OK (one or two eps were excellent) I’m not gutted that I’ve missed the rest of it.

Battlestar Galactica we’ve never seen.

Neither of us has strong opinions against sci-fi shows that the other likes, it tends to be other telly that we disagree on more. I really dislike Alan Partridge, Ian loves it. Ian loves watching Road Wars when mash, I have no opinion on it. Ian loves The Royle Family, I hate it. Brass Eye, The Day Today I haven’t seen much of but what I have seen hasn’t made me want to watch more.
    Spaced I’ve only ever seen one episode of but Ian assures me I’ll love it.
    He’s a big fan of Mr Bean, I am not.

I like a lot of ‘girly’ telly that Ian doesn’t like – Desperate Housewives, Lipstick Jungle, Ghosty Whosty, Ugly Betty, Brothers & Sisters, and Grey’s Anatomy. Ian hasn’t seen enough of ER, Buffy and Angel to form an opinion, I love them. Friends – Ian says he is well disposed to it but wouldn’t actively watch it, I own the boxset.

There’s lots of tv we agree on too though – Blackadder, Brittas, West Wing and Studio 60 being a few of these.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Yes, you would like ‘Spaced’. It’s brilliant!

Jo
    Participant

Ian’s series one disc has gone missing so I’ve not had chance to find out yet.

JamesTC
    Participant

It is on 4od for free.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Good Call, 4OD is truly a thing of wonder.

Jo
    Participant

Isn’t that on Virgin?

JamesTC
    Participant

Yes but you can download it too.

locusceruleus
    Participant

I like X-Files, RD, Hitchhikers and the various spin-offs, and thats about it. My gf likes RD, Dr Who, and Buffy (if that counts…sci fi, fantasy, whatever). I wouldn’t really consider either of us as particular diehard sci-fi fans by any measure.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> LOST (though I wouldn?t class it as pure sci-fi)

*Grins*

Jo
    Participant

*nods*

Blisschick
    Participant

LOST is a definite. I started watching it during season 2, love it, and got the family into watching it. I think right now, aside from a few other favorite non-sci-fi shows, this is my absolute fave at the moment. It’s been hard not to hemmorhage from the ears when trying to work it all out, tho.

I got him hooked on Heroes not too long ago, but since the new volume has started, I haven’t watched it, really. I have three eps lined up on TiVo just waiting for me. I’ve kind of gotten bored with it. There have been big promises made by Tim Kring and writers to make up for the last volume being so lame, esp. by bringing back one of the original writers. (I can’t remember his name at the moment.) Maybe they’ll make Nathan more likable again and I won’t want to smack him every time I see him. I also want to see Mohinder turn into Brundlefly.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> *nods*

I keep being reminded of your it’s not Sci-Fi stance on Lost (or it’s not JUST Sci-Fi, before someone re-ignites that debate). I was wandered past the mags section in Tesco and what’s on the cover of SFX this month in massive letters?

L O S T

I just want to add that yes, Farscape rocks.

Jo
    Participant

>I keep being reminded of your it?s not Sci-Fi stance on Lost (or it?s not JUST Sci-Fi, before someone >re-ignites that debate). I was wandered past the mags section in Tesco and what?s on the cover of SFX this >month in massive letters?

>L O S T

OMG! You mean one of the biggest shows around at the moment, which is in part Sci-Fi based (something I never questioned) is on the cover of a Sci-Fi magazine?!?! You amaze me! THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD!

Andrew
    Participant

Um, Karl…while I don’t question the SF-ish nature of Lost – since it blatantly has those elements – being on the cover of SFX can’t be used to prove anything about the genre of a show or movie. They put horror, fantasy and comic book characters on the front, too – doesn’t automatically make any of those SF.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> Um, Karl?while I don?t question the SF-ish nature of Lost – since it blatantly has those elements – being on the cover of SFX can?t be used to prove anything about the genre of a show or movie. They put horror, fantasy and comic book characters on the front, too – doesn?t automatically make any of those SF.

> OMG! You mean one of the biggest shows around at the moment, which is in part Sci-Fi based (something I never questioned) is on the cover of a Sci-Fi magazine?!?! You amaze me! THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD!

Oh dear. You’ve both completely mistaken me. I wasn’t attempting to re-ignite a debate (I said those very words) over whether or not Lost is/isn’t sci-fi anymore than whether or not it’s a good name for a potato. I don’t watch the show, I don’t care.

It was a bit of banter that since the original debate that Lost, apparently by chance, keeps popping up as the top story, the most watched clip, this month’s cover feature on any S-F media I chance upon. It was ‘this bloody show keeps turning up everytime I look at anything I associate with Sci-Fi who’d have thunk it’ So no need to come out so defensive at me!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.