Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Something which will make you all want to force me into a corner and beat me up

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    flanl3
    Participant

Has anybody ever actually bothered with an explanation of the ‘Rimmer crashing’ sound from The End Remastered? I think I’ve got one, but I don’t want to be redundant.

(deleted)
    Participant

Go ahead. Anything less dryly functional than ‘Ed Bye had developed a more cartoon-like post-production touch courtesy of making 18 episodes of Bottom in the years since he’d last made studio-audience Red Dwarf and the two had intermingled a bit in his head’ is welcome.

I wouldn’t feel embarrassed about pondering the small stuff though, I’ve spent months restraining myself from starting the thread “ONE OF THE SERIES IV MUSIC CUES HAS A WAVEFORM THAT LOOKS A BIT LIKE STARBUG”.

TEH STARBUGS

flanl3
    Participant

Alright, here goes.

Rimmer’s light bee is clearly not necessary for being on his original ship (as he can pass through Cat in The End & Lister through him in Balance of Power) and for very short amounts of time off-ship (quickly going through the door in Entangled, before he rejoins it once he opens the door). However, it presumably just becomes routine for him to have it in after they’ve gone on so many off-ship adventures and are tired of taking it in and out all the time.

The fact that Rimmer makes sounds in the first place means that his on-ship projectors and his light bee both have a bit of sound capabilities, thus he can talk. They must also have a slight rough pre-programmed conception of completely permanent objects, thus he doesn’t fall through the floor or slide into his bunk up to his light bee, or in beeless cases, entirely, or even better, just go floating in whichever direction he pleases. Combine these, and you get the reason his feet make taps on the floor as he walks, runs, or turns, a ‘poof’ as he gets on his bunk’s mattress in soft-light form. He would only be able to go through a door and not a wall, as a door can be moved. Either that, or he would have to be doing it intentionally – either of these explanations explain it adequately for me. And thus, as Cat in the doorway isn’t a permanent object Rimmer’s projector would be aware of, he would pass through perfectly, but as he runs into a wall on the other side, it could very well stop allowing his projection to move in that direction and provide a sound (albeit a bit comical, it’s simulated after all) to indicate it.

What about when he goes to lean on the Drive Room desk and his hand goes straight through it?

flanl3
    Participant

It seems only semi-permanent, or perhaps they hadn’t found that important enough to program into the interpretation of the ship’s layout

si
    Participant

“ONE OF THE SERIES IV MUSIC CUES HAS A WAVEFORM THAT LOOKS A BIT LIKE STARBUG”.

A bit like Starbug melting.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

Holly generated a stack of holographic boxes for him to crash into, because he’s a prick like that.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

At the exact moment that Rimmer left the room, in an unrelated incident nearby a Skutter knocked over a pile of stuff.

Lilly Queen
    Participant

Wow, I was just thinking about this the other day while showing a friend how terrible remastered was but I decided against posting for the same reason as this thread title. Despite how terrible an addition it seems, Holly doing it just for his own amusement does seem to make a hell of a lot of sense.

Moonlight
    Participant

He crashed into a pile of hologram crap.

flanl3
    Participant

He crashed into a pile of hologram crap.

Wouldn’t that make a bit more of a /squish/ sound?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.