Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Team Fortress 2 is now free to play on PC and Mac

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

Which is nice.

It’s on Steam, so go snag it.

(I’d throw in a link to the website, but every time I do the forum complains and says the post is going into moderation. Suffice to say, Google it.)

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> It’s on Steam, so go snag it.

A thousand times this. It’s brilliant to see how much busier the game is now. M favourite map is CTF_Well and that has jumped from having 4 regular servers to around 10. The great thing about this game is it’s so well balanced and fun that it allows experts and novices to play together without much trouble.

It’s amazing, get it.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

It surprises me just how easy it is to jump into a server and not be out of your depth, although I find myself petrified of intruding in some private/clan-based place and being SHOUTED AT.

However, sentry guns fucking RUIN CTF games. I’m sick of games that are played entirely on the defensive, with people happy to sit there and run out the clock. Have some balls! Go and get the fucking intelligence!

I haven’t tried CTF_Well – which one’s that? I’ve tried playing 2Fort as it’s the one I remember from back when I first played the game on free weekends, but it’s too difficult – there’s only one entryway, and it just gets sentry-gunned to fuck. And that’s before you factor in multiple snipers in the main central bit.

Double Cross and Turbine have been the two I’ve had the most enjoyment with so far. Also, I don’t know the name, but I dropped in on an utterly MENTAL game on a tiny map with two bunkers that looked a bit like a Halo map and in which I had no idea how anyone could EVER manage a successful intelligence grab, so chaotic and frenetic was it.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> although I find myself petrified of intruding in some private/clan-based place and being SHOUTED AT.

Don’t worry about that, any serious clan who don’t want the public joining will just password protect their servers.

> However, sentry guns fucking RUIN CTF games. I’m sick of games that are played entirely on the defensive, with people happy to sit there and run out the clock. Have some balls! Go and get the fucking intelligence!

To that I would say “have some balls, and uber the shit out of that sentry!”. Or, “have some balls and zap the shit out of that sentry”. But, yeah, I see what you mean about 2Fort, it’s such a well known, small map that it’s got to the point where a lot of people know how to lock it down.

> I haven’t tried CTF_Well – which one’s that?

It’s a CTF version of the original CP_Well (just search for ctf_well and you’ll find it). It’s much smaller and closer in design to the original Well from TFC. I love it.

JEZZMUND
    Participant

AS much as i thought making TF2 free to play was going to be a pain (i assumed the influx of n00bs would be the same all over again) I reckon Cappsy’s right – for the most part the maps are so well balanced that it makes little to no change in the overall game by having a mix of different player abilities..
    I’ve also had my faith restored in Valve’s team balancing mechanic – rather than a random switcharoonie,shuffling is done with regard to player ability…
    nice.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

If you’re on Steam, feel free to add me – Squirminator2k.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I’ve now been able to get people in my office playing this. I’ll tell you what, using Bots on a local server is much more fun than it has any right to be. The AI is very, very good, providing you use a map they’re programmed to work on.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

CAN I COME TO YOUR OFFICE AND PLAY IT?

As it happens, I just picked this up a day or two ago, along with an interesting-looking game called Spiral Knights. I’m not able to be on as often as I’d like, but when I am, I go by Romanadvoratrelundar.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.