Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The Promised Land (2020) Extended fan edit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ItsMeSmegHead
    Participant

Long time Dwarfer. First time poster. I enjoyed the special so much that after seeing the deleted scenes I was compelled to make a fan edit!

Now I did have to sacrifice a little of what was in the show (most notably the part of Rodons introduction) to incorporate the large tin of tuna deleted scene.

But I really felt some of the extra footage contained jokes that were even more the old style Dwarf and needed to go back into the show. Plus the extra scene of Cats suit overheating in the Iron Star was great. Of the four main cast, Cats never seems to have enough screen time/dialog.

If anyone is interested in having a link to the fan edit let me know.

I’m just looking at the best way/place to host it as any time I’ve tried uploading to my Google Drive it pauses and doesn’t resume!

I tried posting on the reddwarf official page but their forum settings are really hard to to figure out!

The file is under 4GB.

Flap Jack

Seems kind of cool, but be aware you have no legal right to distribute a fan edit of The Promised Land on the internet (especially such a minimal one that just inserts deleted scenes back in), and trying to do so on TOS forums? That’s some serious cajones right there!

You may have noticed that other major fan edits of the past (such as the Star Wars: Despecialized Editions) are either distributed via BitTorrent or the creator makes you jump through hoops to confirm you own a copy of the Blu ray of the original version. Even doing that doesn’t necessarily put you in the clear legally, but it does signal to the copyright holder that you’re operating in good faith and not trying to steal their revenue, so they’re discouraged from suing you.

ItsMeSmegHead
    Participant

You missed the point that I had to re edit pre existing scenes in order to make the deleted scenes work. I haven’t had much experience with the online fan community for Dwarf so not really sure what the stance was on fan edits. It’s not often that Dwarf really needs edits anyway.

So I guess this isn’t really the place to show what I did.

Just really enthusiastic about the special and loved the deleted content so much I felt it deserved to be in the show.

Ah well. Once a Smeghead always a smeghead.

Flap Jack

Don’t get me wrong, ItsMeSmegHead! An extended edition of The Promised Land sounds very cool for sure, and you having done it already is amazing in itself. I’m just recommending caution in the way you share it, because even more major edits wouldn’t really be enough to make it transformative.

ItsMeSmegHead
    Participant

It’s not about it being transformative. It’s about it being all inclusive. I’m merely using the term fan edit because that’s in the vernacular lexicon. Otherwise what else would I call you transformative or not?

Flap Jack

Saying that a work is “transformative” is just a way of arguing that something which uses copyrighted material is different enough to not be considered an actionable infringement of that copyright. Most fan edits are not transformative enough for this, no, because the general purpose of a fan edit of this nature is to act as a replacement for the original version. That’s my point.

I wasn’t saying that it being transformative would make it a better fan edit.

ItsMeSmegHead
    Participant

You must be a treat at parties

Dave

I think Flap Jack is just trying to help you avoid the pitfalls of trying to distribute material you don’t have the rights to. These kinds of fan edits are often fun and I don’t think anyone is denigrating the work you’ve done, just pointing out why it’s hard to share it given the legal obstacles.

ItsMeSmegHead
    Participant

I was just trying to be playful in a Rimmer/Kryten sarcastic tone!

Plastic Percy
    Participant

Come back Jawscvmcdia, all is forgiven.

Kris Carter
    Participant

Plastic Percy, don’t tempt fate!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.