Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The Red Dwarf guest star phenomenom

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pfm
    Participant

It’s often mentioned in the cast commentaries (albeit with pseudo-bitterness) that many of the guest stars on the show went on to make it big after their appearance on Dwarf, and looking at the impressive list of guest cast that’s definitely the case. But most of them, of course, were pretty well established before they did the show. It makes you wonder though how in the name of heck some of these actors ended up on Dwarf in the first place. I can’t think of any other sitcom with this sort of record. Can anyone shed any light on this? You’ve got to admit that if someone told you Jenny Agutter and Geraldine McEwan had guested, unless you knew the series, you wouldn’t believe it.

What got me thinking about this was seeing that Jake Wood is now a regular on Eastenders. I know he’s been in loads of other things but I’ll always think of him as Kill Crazy. The legacy of Dwarf seems to be scattered across TV and film, seriously everywhere you turn there’s a Dwarf connection. I bet there isn’t one day on British TV where there isn’t a Dwarf cast member (guest or otherwise) on the five main channels. OK, that might be an exaggeration. Anyway, the point of this thread…? To discuss Dwarf guest stars perhaps?

peas_and_corn
    Participant

Who are Jenny Agutter and Geraldine McEwan?

When watching ‘Hot Fuzz’, every actor I have seen in at least two shows/movies- and thus I commented ‘Does England only have 10 actors?’.

mick
    Participant

“Who are Jenny Agutter and Geraldine McEwan?”

You’re kidding right?

Andrew
    Participant

The quality of the material really does make a difference. Doing the rounds with Mr Flibble – and the interviews are still online – it was clear that Jenny Agutter, Anita Dobson, Brian Cox…all these people took the gig because the show is as well-produced and high-quality as it is.

I’m sure they got offered sitcom guest-parts all the time. But Dwarf…well, it’s like being asked to do Blackadder or something. Great, interesting little parts on a genuinely great show.

> Does England only have 10 actors?

There’s a difference between deliberate mate-hiring/cameos and an actor shortage, surely? Those guys knew the effect it would have to go with so many familiar faces.

Did you spot Cate Blanchett, though?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Or Peter Jackson?

peas_and_corn
    Participant

well… no.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There’s a difference between deliberate mate-hiring/cameos and an actor shortage, surely? Those guys knew the effect it would have to go with so many familiar faces.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

A leak, right, in stasis.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

So what is it?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.