Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum the social significance of nerds like Duane Dibbley?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    tombow
    Participant

I’m curious about the stereotypical 1980s nerd into trainspotting, anorak and thermos, collecting bus timetables, etc. I feel like some other comedy I’ve seen/heard from that time (not so much Dwarf but other sitcoms/stand-ups) almost seem angry at nerds. Like they were seen as middle class or conservative.

Dave
    Participant

I don’t see it as anger, just an easy soft target and recognisable stereotype.

Rubber
    Participant

Comedy writers who feel like they’re sitting some way down the social pecking order – and are either annoyed at it or relishing in it – doing the usual ‘well at least this person is clearly much more of a loser than me’ thing.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Nerds were a quasi-subjugated underclass until The Big Bang Theory happened and suddenly normies decided being vaguely into comic book movies was cool

tombow
    Participant

this seems relevant – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak_(slang)

I never got why it’s bad for him to have a thermos. Hot drinks are nerdy? I guess it’s because trainspotters had them on a cold platform.

Dave
    Participant

See also: Simon Quinlank

Ben Saunders
    Participant

I never got why it’s bad for him to have a thermos. Hot drinks are nerdy?

Just go to Starbucks like everybody else

Rubber
    Participant

I never got why it’s bad for him to have a thermos. Hot drinks are nerdy?

Just go to Starbucks like everybody else

Pricey! A thermos is a good investment. You can probably get one with a picture of Kochanski on it these days.

si
    Participant

Weak lemon. No hot drink required.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Agree that it’s a little bit of a punching down thing. Society always has the need to punish non-conformists, and nerds were the go to option for a safe, non-offensive sneer for a good while. As for what changed, I’d say The Big Bang Theory is very much a consequence of nerds becoming more accepted rather than a cause. It’s the internet that caused it, with the realisation that everyone has hobbies and interests, and that far far more people happened to include sci-fi/comics/gaming/etc among theirs than had previously let on.

Dave
    Participant

Weak lemon. No hot drink required.

A thermos keeps things cold as well as hot, like.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

That’s right. I’ve got a mint Magnum and a cup of coffee in mine right now.

Spaceworm Jim
    Participant

The Promised Land got something like 2 million viewers. On Dave. Now they can’t all be Duane Dibbleys, can they?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I’m doing the shopping for my mum!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Mum, have you taped Star Trek for me?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.