Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The Ultimate Fast Show Collection

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    John Hoare
    Participant

I’ve been searching around for details of this to see if it’s worth buying. Irritatingly, I STILL can’t find any mention about how many commentaries and so on there are on there (don’t people WANT to sell me this product?), but I’ve seen enough to know that I WANT IT.

But how does the BBC Shop sell it?

“A compilation of sketches from the comedy series, The Fast Show, featuring characters such as Ted and Ralph, coughing Bob Fleming, the “Suit you, sir” tailors from hell and the bloke in the stupid hat.”

“Compilation of sketches”? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a description that undersells a DVD quite so badly before.

I mean, how stupid do you have to be? Do they WANT to lose out on sales? It makes it sound like a fucking Best Of!

TheLeen
    Participant

After all those years I caved in and created an ebay account exclusively to get this. It is quite cheaper than buying it off amazon. I haven’t managed though because I suck. :(

Fiona
    Participant

I’ve got series 1-3 and the Last Show Ever best-of, so I too was wondering if it’s worth it. This was on Play.com:

“Packed with some of television’s most memorable comedy characters and catchphrases, this 7 disc boxset is the definitive Fast Show collection including an unabridged version of The Last Show Ever series and You Ain’t Seen These, Right? A must-have for fans and connoisseurs alike, this DVD also features brand new recorded audio commentaries, exclusive behind the scenes footage, two new-to-DVD programmes about the show itself and comes with an exclusive booklet containing original extracts from the first draft script written by Charlie Higson & Paul Whitehouse for The Fast Show.”

All very tempting except, perhaps, the script booklet. But then I can always use that to line the cat’s litter tray. Nice!

Fiona x

Andrew
    Participant

I’ve heard some of the commentary tracks and it’s very…frank stuff.

pfm
    Participant

I always used to watch it and wonder why everyone was raving about it so much. Some of it I DO like (e.g. Ted and Ralph, the ‘black! black!’ artist, the competitive Dad) but surely it’s got to be the most hit-and-miss show ever! I reckon it also sadly paved the way for too many ‘hey we’ve got a catchphrase and a funny voice, can we repeat this episode after episode without actually writing material?’ comedies (surely I don’t need to mention said series’?)

How EASY must it have been to write the show? ‘I’m into boxing actually.’ ‘Boxing? Oh I’ve been a boxer. Hardest game in the world, mate. Thirty years, man and boy!’ or whatever it was. Now repeat episode after episode changing the profession. Also, a gardening presenter that coughs…an OK idea for one episode, are we going to keep doing it…yes we are. The ‘suit you’ guys are also funny for about 3 episodes then they’re just…not.

What I DID like was the more surreal elements, like the American TV guy who just says ‘Hi, I’m Ed Winchester!’ then it cuts. It does seem ripped off from Python though.

I might get the set anyway… the Comedy Connections is definitely on it.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Remind me to tell you exactly why you’re wrong when I get home from work.

pfm
    Participant

> Remind me to tell you exactly why you?re wrong when I get home from work.

Scorchio!

Fiona
    Participant

I?ve heard some of the commentary tracks and it?s very?frank stuff.

Can you elaborate at all? Cos if it’s Charlie “Frank” Higson all on his own, I don’t think I’ll bother!

Fiona x

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I rather like Charlie Higson. I was devastated when Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) wasn’t renewed for a third series, and apparently so was he. I’d love to sit down and have a chat with him about it one of these days.

Fiona
    Participant

And here I was thinking I was the world’s only Randall & Hopkirk fan (I’ve even got the soundtrack!). I’m not anti-Higson as a writer, director or performer (so long as he keeps his clothes on), but his audio commentaries tend to be on the technical side and fit only for insomnia treatment.

Fiona x

PS I was devastated as well, but the pain has eased with time. A couple of episodes in the second series were a bit thin, so at least we were spared the potential horror of a feeble third series. And maybe they could still do a feature length Christmas special to round things off.

Dave
    Participant

I’ve got the soundtrack, but I only bought it for the Pulp track.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Did you know that while the reboot series didn’t make it to the US, the original did – albeit under the name My partner the Ghost? The DVD boxset for the original run includes the American titles as a bonus feature.

Fiona
    Participant

# My body may die but my heart will keep loving you baby, oooooh!

It’s funny to remember the lengths we used to have to go to for one song. There’s not much else on there I like. The Charlatans thing is OK, the Theme song’s pleasantly rousing and the Emiliana Torrini song is an interesting sort of museum piece – I dunno if you remember, but it was about a lot that year (1999?) on the radio, in adverts, in hard-hitting documentaries, in soppy dramas… and then vanished from the radar and took Ms Torrini with it. I’d have forgotten all about it if it wasnt for R&H. Anyway, it’s nice to have the CD on my shelf even if it is getting a bit dusty.

Fiona x

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The annoying thing about the R&H(D) reboot is that the first series, which was filmed in widescreen, is cropped to 4:3 on the DVDs. The second series DVDs are widescreen, though. There was a box set of the two series released in 2006, and I bought it hoping that the widescreen issue would be fixed. I was very disappointed to see that it wasn’t.

John Hoare
    Participant

Something similar happens on the DVD of Series 1 of Gimme Gimme Gimme – it’s presented in 14:9, so it was obviously shot in widescreen, but sadly isn’t in that form on the DVD. As digital telly only launched in November 1998, and Gimme Series 1 was broadcast in January 1999, very few people will have seen it in its widescreen form. (If it was ever broadcast in that format – as it was the very early days of digital, there’s no guarantee.)

pfm
    Participant

It was probably never broadcast in 16:9 which would explain why they could only be arsed to put a 14:9 version out. Otherwise they might have had to do some work!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Nope, it was broadcast in widescreen (which is 16:9, if memory serves). I distinctly remember watching the second episode on a spiffy widescreen TV at a family friend’s house when it first broadcast.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.