Things found through Red Dwarf Google Alerts… [2]

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Things found through Red Dwarf Google Alerts… [2]

This topic contains 150 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Abootman 2 years ago.

Viewing 151 posts - 1 through 151 (of 151 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Jo TORDFC’s original thread has now reached the dreaded pagination stage, so let’s start afresh for the sake of all our sanities.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

10 Reasons To Be Excited [about Red Dwarf X]:

http://whatculture.com/tv/red-dwarf-x-10-reasons-to-be-excited.php

Quite a good article, that, although make sure you have an ad blocker to negate the scumbag tactic of splitting a reasonably long article into 11 pages.

Ridley

Is that the same article Mr. Ellard tweeted a few weeks ago? I know that one is dated yesterday but it seems familiar.

Seb Patrick

I’ve noticed that WhatCulture seem to have a habit of recycling their RD articles. They repurposed an article that had clearly been written in 2010 (as it referenced BTE being “last year”) earlier this year, saying that they hoped there’d be a studio audience while using… a picture of an RDX studio audience.

They seem to put far more effort into their page saying how great they are and listing all the amazing reasons why you should work for them for free than they do on fact-checking the articles, it seems…

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

> They seem to put far more effort into their page saying how great they are and listing all the amazing reasons why you should work for them for free than they do on fact-checking the articles, it seems…

BURN.

Pete Part Three

There’s currently an article on there entitled “The Avengers 2: 5 Ways To Make It Suck Less”.

This should tell you everything you need to know about that site.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Christ, yes, reading around the site is *not* a nice experience. Still think he’s got a *fairly* decent grip on Red Dwarf, but that’s mainly because he thinks the new series will be good and I think he’s right.

Seb Patrick

On the page about how wonderful they are, there’s an entire paragraph given over to the fact that one of the reasons you should write for them is that they use WordPress.

And, what’s more, instead of having subeditors who’ll format and post your articles for you, you get to do it yourself! That’s actually a plus!

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

> On the page about how wonderful they are, there’s an entire paragraph given over to the fact that one of the reasons you should write for them is that they use WordPress.

Hah, part of the elite group known as ‘The Vast Majority of the Internet’, there.

genericnerdyusername

Cunts.

Phil

Cunt Dwarf

mick

A cunt? a white hatted ponce?

Brayds2006

Cunt Smeg Won’t Smeg

Kris Carter

Cuntmen Of The Apocalips.

MANI506

Polymorph 2 – Emocunt.

si

It’s cunt outside, there’s no cunt of atmosphere…

This thread’s gonna go the same way as the last one, at this rate. :/

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/331199

Jeff Cottrill operating from the privileged position of not knowing what the fuck he’s talking about, there. Watch the series first, prick.

HelloMabel

“The classic BBC space opera and cult series”

…space opera?

Ben Paddon

I think idiots shouldn’t be allowed to write on the internet, and I think this change should take place with immediate ef

genericnerdyusername

Wow, Ben thinks it and it happens! I always thought he was being egotistical, but nope, he was just being right.

Potor

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Oh, Robert Llewellyn has revealed those, has he? That was good of him.

si

Well, I imagine where RD’s concerned, the Radio Times probably only look at sites like TOS, Dave and, obviously, the cast’s personal blogs. :/

genericnerdyusername

To be fair, it IS the Radio Times*.

*yes, I am subscribed to it, so I can be as cynical as I want.

Pecospete666

Pete Part Three

“…but for the last episode I borrow things from the very early drafts of the film and explain what happened after the conclusion of series eight”

Pecospete666

I didn’t like the GIT comment for danny!

Alex

“…but for the last episode I borrow things from the very early drafts of the film and explain what happened after the conclusion of series eight”

So that’s out of the bag then.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Pete Part Three

At first it just looks like shoddy research, then you realise it’s complete ineptitude.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Yes, I can forgive someone for not knowing how many series there have been, but the brackets thing sealed it.

Jo TORDFC

ori-STUDFARM

I hate people who use the term “LOL’s”

But really….LOL’s!

HelloMabel

Maybe they’re choosing to pretend the actual Series 8 and BtE never happened. And the X is because…

because…

*facepalm

mick

Due to my overwhelmingly bitter and irrational hatred of Series VII, VIII and BtE, this will of course be Series VII in my custom DVD cases.

Phil

I wouldn’t say “irrational,” Mick.

Ben Paddon

I would.

Fanon like that pisses me off. Piss and moan all you like, but that doesn’t mean VII, VIII and BtE didn’t happen.

Jonsmad

Well X will still be referencing VIII at some point. Though I’m fine with Fanon myself if that’s what it’s called choosing to ignore parts of somethings past. (new word hadnt heard it.) Given Rob and Doug alter things themselves.

performingmonkey

I don’t think I could actually get the word ‘fanon’ to come out of my mouth unless it was accompanied by the regurgitated remnants of my last meal.

Ridley

Try “personal canon” instead. ;)

mick

>Fanon like that pisses me off. Piss and moan all you like, but that doesn’t mean VII, VIII and BtE didn’t happen.

Piss and moan all you like but it doesn’t automatically mean I have to change my opinion on them because they’re red dwarf, or indeed simply exist.

I don’t believe I said anywhere I’m delusionally denying there existence, I just don’t have any intention of buying the DVDs, thus in my particular selection that I’ve made custom box art for, the new series will be VII as when I do it’s custom cover there’s nothing between it and VI.

The point of my post was that I didn’t own VII, VIII and BtE on DVD because I don’t like them, I was under the impression that was my prerogative.

Not sure where you got the rest of the bollocks in your post from.

genericnerdyusername

Hey hey heeeeeey. We’re all people we’ve met here.

Ben Paddon

Piss and moan all you like but it doesn’t automatically mean I have to change my opinion on them because they’re red dwarf, or indeed simply exist.

I don’t believe I said anywhere I’m delusionally denying there existence, I just don’t have any intention of buying the DVDs, thus in my particular selection that I’ve made custom box art for, the new series will be VII as when I do it’s custom cover there’s nothing between it and VI.

The point of my post was that I didn’t own VII, VIII and BtE on DVD because I don’t like them, I was under the impression that was my prerogative.

That’s fine, but labelling X as VII is a bit mad, isn’t it? I mean, actually going to the trouble of making an alternative cover for the DVD labeling the series as another? Hardly sane, is it?

I mean, I don’t like the first, fifth, ninth and tenth Star Trek movies, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to sit at my computer for hours on end so that I can “correct” the film numbers.

Throw in the fact that you don’t even know whether or not series X is even going to be any good, and… yeah, silly.

HelloMabel

> Try “personal canon” instead. ;)

Person.

Pecospete666

It’s the time of the month!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Brayds2006

…I don’t get it.

ori-STUDFARM

Didn’t I see you do that same repost gag on TOS forum?

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

STOP WITH THE IMAGES!!!

si

> STOP WITH THE IMAGES!!!

That man. He talks sense.

Jimboid

P.S. Please, please, please, please. Stop.

Pecospete666

Since Jimboid said please !

I ran out of bandwith any, way have to wait a month!

genericnerdyusername

Isn’t it always whatever time of the month it is?

genericnerdyusername

I find it irritating how everywhere seems to be reporting that its the final series. So much so that I can’t be bothered finding a way to make it naturally crop up in the thread and thought I’d just jam it in here.

Jimboid

It isn’t. It’s the eighth series. PAY ATTENTION.

genericnerdyusername

But if seven, eight and BTE didn’t happen, doesn’t that make it series 7? I’M CONFUSED.

ori-STUDFARM

Unless he/she disliked VII and VIII and BtE is now the new VII

genericnerdyusername

Can’t we go back to laughing at Pecospete666? I preferred that bit.

Jimboid

I don’t like Series 7 or 8. I do like Back to Earth but not enough to think of it as Series 7.

My Series 7 is in fact the two Steptoe & Son Christmas specials. I have made DVD covers so that they fit into the rest of the set.

genericnerdyusername

Steptoe & Son’s just a shameless rip off of Sanford and Son, whatever that is.

Jimboid

I think it was the American remake of Cheers.

genericnerdyusername

Which, in turn, just pinched characters from Frasier.

Pete Part Three

It’s the fourth series…that you anticipate with a mixture of excitement and dread.

ori-STUDFARM

Wasn’t Frasier a spin off of Red Dwarf USA though?

Jimboid

You’re thinking of Come Back Mrs Noah.

Ridley

STOP WITH THE IMAGES!!!

I did wonder who would snap first.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

See, this was my concern with the whole vindalunar concept.

The unconventional payload has been selected in honour of the series Liverpudlian protagonist, Lister, whose characters fondness for vindaloo and lager formed the butt of most jokes.

MOST jokes?! It’s a myth that plays on people with only the vaguest of memories of the show, and it completely ignores 95% of what makes Red Dwarf brilliant.

SoundableObject

Remember when Lister eat that vindaloo. Classic Lister.

mick

Should have gone to smegsavers.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

I was in an Indian restaurant the other day, and I saw a man eating a curry… and then he ordered a pint of lager! I just thought ‘that is SO Lister’.

mick

If only I had a pound for every time I’ve sat having a curry and a beer, and someone comes up and says “hey you’re that Blister bloke off The Red Dwarfs!”.

Jo TORDFC

http://www.tntmagazine.com/entertainment/comedy/dave-launch-a-vindaloo-and-lager-into-space-to-mark-new-red-dwarf-series

Robert Llewellyn, the show’s writer, has released the titles of the first six episodes, so mega-sci-fi geeks can get excited. They include ‘Trojan’, ‘Fathers and Suns’, ‘Lemons’ and ‘Entangled’.
    “I could try and be all self deprecating and depressed because I don’t want to raise your hopes too much, but I just can’t do that,” says series writer Robert, “but I just can’t do that. Red Dwarf X is way better than I ever dared hope.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

That’s amazing. In the context of him being the writer, the quotes are amazing.

Pete Part Three

What a smug git.

si

As mistakes go, that is Beyond A Joke.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5haptvPw3GXBud88iBlueF3LEBjgw?docId=N0107001347370474741A

Nothing huge but, this was interesting: “”Brittas would have bought the whole green thing hook, line and sinker”. I imagine he and Bobby have a few ‘interesting’ chats.

Ridley

I suppose undoing the it-was-all-a-dream ending would be nice.

performingmonkey

> I suppose undoing the it-was-all-a-dream ending would be nice.

Undoing series’ 6 & 7 would be more like it…;)

I think an Olympics-themed Brittas return would have worked brilliantly. Don’t tell me that at least 5 scenarios didn’t enter your head at the mere thought of that! Brittas and crew could somehow have been in charge of the Aquatics Centre, or maybe the whole of Olympic Park! Cameos from the likes of Lord Coe, Tom Daly and Ellie Simmonds. Maybe…..

HelloMabel

Jo TORDFC

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/james-poyner/smegging-hell-red-dwarf-x_b_1943270.html

Honestly can’t tell if he likes it or not. Hey everyone, don’t the cast look old?

HelloMabel

I suspect that he secretly drooled over it but is trying to seem objective. Result: he mistook ‘being an ass’ for ‘writing an impartial review’. How did he get a job with Huff Post, I wonder? Their articles are usually quite good.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

The crew are dead, wiped out 3 million and 24 years ago by a radiation leak. The crew are dead (Dave) – they’re all dead Dave. Dave, they’re dead. Oh wait, no they’re just really really really old!

Lets face it the last British sci-fi sitcom to launch from BBC mission control was ‘Hyperdrive’ which was more HALarious than hilarious.

This man is a professional writer.

genericnerdyusername

HALarious LOLZZZZZZZZ I C WOT HE DID DERE!

Seb Patrick

>This man is a professional writer.

To be fair, it’s the HuffPo, so he probably wasn’t getting paid.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

> To be fair, it’s the HuffPo, so he probably wasn’t getting paid.

This man wants to be a professional writer.

HelloMabel

Odd. In the American edition I’m quite sure they do get paid.

Phil 4Q2B

I personally loved series VIII with Pete part 1 being a personal highlight. I do however detest krytons mask in series III so I will be rebranding my series X DVD as series III.

genericnerdyusername

Oh I do love a bit of sarcasm.

Jo TORDFC

There was a survey of the most popular funeral music requests: http://funeralcarenews.co-operative.coop/branch-news/funeral-survey-charts-the-demise-of-popular-hymns.html

The most popular TV theme tunes were:
    Match of the Day
    Pot Black
    One Foot in the Grave
    Last of the Summer Wine
    Dr Who
    The X Files
    Red Dwarf
    Top Gear
    Six Feet Under
    The Muppets Theme Tune – It’s Time to Face the Music

Katydid

I not only requested the X-Files theme for my funeral, I asked all the guests to stab each other in the back of the neck with stilettos and clone my sister a few dozen times.

Pecospete666

I will be asking for “This is the End” by the Doors!

Pecospete666

genericnerdyusername

Think it’s more a case of “what does Pat Stacey know?” rather than every single Irish person in existence.

genericnerdyusername

Besides, it’s not that bad a review.

Pecospete666

genericnerdyusername

>Red Dwarf can be very hit and miss, but series 9 seemed to have the best – Tikka to Ride was excellent and Blue, almost as good. Like their new sofa, though…

Best. Comment. Evaaaaaar.

But seriously, that’s not a review.

NoFro

Yep the Irish review wasn’t a bad review. Just ridiculous that people choose to focus on how different the cast look as if they shouldn’t have aged in 12 years. It’s especially annoying because the cast look great.

I went to the pub with a friend on Sunday and he’s a casual viewer of the show. Hasn’t seen BTE but has seen a fair few episodes through Dave and a mate he has who owns all the DVDs. Knowing that I’m a huge fan he mentioned that he caught Fathers & Suns and his first comment about it was how the cast looked exactly the same. He said a repeat that followed the new episode made him realise that they had changed a bit but whilst watching Fathers & Suns it didn’t even occur to him that they were all over a decade older. It was only a side-by-side comparison that made it apparent.

Pete Tranter’s Sister

It is quite odd how Kryten looks the most aged (at least the mask is improving episode by episode).

Jo TORDFC

Timestamped at 12:05pm… give away the entire plot why don’t you?!

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/red_dwarf_x_appearance_tonight_for_former_hatfield_school_pupil_1_1660802
    (Contains Lemons spoilers)

ori-STUDFARM

How difficult is it to research the year that Back To earth was broadcast!?….Last year?! Really?!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/oct/20/catch-up-tv-guide?newsfeed=true

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

In their defence. I find it hard to believe that BTE happened 3 years ago…

ori-STUDFARM

The Dave commisioning of the scripts for RDX was ‘unofficially’ announced at DJXV. Not long after BtE aired in 2009…Seems weird that, after the apparent rush of BtE with it’s non-too distant deadlines and such, that RDX didn’t get aired until the latter part of 2012.

I wonder if this 3 year cycle may become the norm for Red Dwarf. RDXI in 2015 anyone?

Pecospete666

HelloMabel

http://www.londonscreenwritersfestival.com/whats-on/sessions/red-dwarf-redux

Wish I could have been there. But £299! It’s no wonder none of us attended.

From the speakers/bios page:
    “Robert is possibly best known as the worlds most famous hologram ‘Kryten’.”
    Oh dear…

Jonsmad

I dont want your shoes. I want a stir-master.

Pecospete666

Jonsmad your on top of things!

NoFro

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Doug must be so fucking sick of telling the Back to Earth story.

Interesting review, mind, and he seems to be suggesting that there’s less of the movie script in this episode than we’d assumed…

NoFro

It’s a very good tease for tonight’s episode, which is definitely a good thing, but not much new.

si

Not found through Google, but worth sharing, I think:

http://mikedaws.deviantart.com/art/Red-Dwarf-Model-336739351

NoFro

So that interview that Ken Plume did with Richard Naylor was rather good wasn’t it?
    http://www.asitecalledfred.com/2012/11/14/richard-naylor-ken-plume-chat/

Some of the stuff will overlap with the DVD docco I’m sure but Richard seems intent on not spoiling too much from it and since the docco isn’t an hour and a half interview with Naylor Jnr, I expect that there’s a lot of extra stuff in this.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

It’s good but there’s a huge amount of shit talked about framerates and the hardcore fans apparently wanting the show to look “shitty”.

NoFro

si

My brother sent me this email (via GoogleMail…)

Look at this on eBay, bloody awful haha

Check out this item I found on eBay:

End time: Dec 5, 2012 8:26:01 AM

Item: Blue Midget Red Dwarf UK Spacecraft Kiln Dry Wood Model

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390121386066

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Midget-Red-Dwarf-UK-Spacecraft-Kiln-Dry-Wood-Model-/390121386066

I wouldn’t say that it’s “bloody awful”, but I certainly wouldn’t buy it… :/

si

Reece

Oh my God. That model guy’s done Starbug and Red Dwarf, too.

They’re actually pretty good.

si

There’s too much ‘detail’ on the Starbug, not enough on the Dwarf.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

It terms of them being a wooden carved object, it’s obvious that effort has been put in but I just don’t like the style of them…

si

Not found through a Google search, but I spotted this on DeviantArt, and have to share it somewhere, because I think it’s stunning. Spot the other ships from BBC shows…

http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com/art/Here-s-to-the-BBC-331448446

Ben Paddon

Aaaand now it’s my Facebook banner.

NoFro

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/red-dwarf/23591/red-dwarfs-10-best-supporting-characters

I’m sure most of you will have seen this but this seemed the best place to discuss it. Have to say I don’t agree with a lot of the choices. I preferred characters such as Pree, Hogey and Taiwan Tony Dominator Zlurth to Confidence and Talkie Toaster and, as great as the Polymorph is, I hardly watch Polymorph because I love the Polymorph and treasure all the scenes it’s in. I watch it because I love what it does to the characters. And even if people just to ignore X, where’s Nirvanah Crane, the Series VI simulant or Timothy Spall’s Andy? Far more worthy of the list than some of those choices, in my opinion.

Btw Si, that DeviantArt pic is indeed nice.

Pete Part Three

Ah, the old, “why doesn’t your Top Ten include stuff I like?” comment.

NoFro

Well if they’re allowed to claim that they’ve listed the series 10 best supporting characters, then surely I’m allowed to claim otherwise :)

Plus these things are usually written to inspire discussion.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

No, these things are usually written because you can do the whole article in your lunch break and still have time to go and get a pasty.

Pete Part Three

Have to confess, I didn’t actually read it. I just looked at the pretty pictures.*

At least DoG don’t spread their Top Tens over ten pages like What Culture.

*Aside from the shot from Camille, which looks horrendous.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

When DoG first launched, it was nothing but top ten lists – at least there’s plenty of proper articles there too these days.

Pecospete666

http://www.iticket.co.nz/events/2013/feb/red-dwarf-nz-convention

What’s a NZ dollar worth? Is it the same as an Aussie dollar?

Pete Part Three

Pecospete666

Nice widget thank you!

Nick R

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Mark Kermode is a shit.

si

KERMODE SOUNDS LIKE COMMODE HAHAHAHAHA

genericnerdyusername

Kermo-Kermo-Kermo-Kermo-Kermodeisashit.

To the tune of “What a Wonderful World”.

Because expectations are made to be inverted.

genericnerdyusername

Um…subverted. Damn, ruined a post with my own hasty fingers and lack of reviewing whatever it is I’m writing AGAIN.

Tarka Dal

Kermode isn’t his real name. He chose Kermode.

si

Named after a poem dedicated to his favourite Muppet.

Ridley

Oh, G&T.

*hands on hips*

Pete Part Three

Indeed.

HelloMabel

http://www.reddwarf-x.com/

Stumbled on this via Facebook. At first glance it looked like a site for illegally watching episodes, but the “watch online” links take you to Hulu, and they encourage people to buy the DVDs. So that’s alright, then.

It looks nice, if a bit jumbled. The header “Ultimate Red Dwarf Source” is a bit of a stretch. It quotes Cappsy’s Trojan review, though it’s the same quote Seb used on TOS, so no proof the admin have ever visited G&T.

The last update was on “Rijen 16, 2012.”

Seb Patrick

At first glance it looked like a site for illegally watching episodes, but the “watch online” links take you to Hulu, and they encourage people to buy the DVDs. So that’s alright, then.

Hmm, I clicked through and picked an episode at random, and was suddenly able to watch Series V episodes right there in the browser…

(And I don’t think Dwarf’s on Hulu, is it?)

HelloMabel

Oh dear.

Ben Paddon

It’s not on Hulu, no.

anniescribe

Ohhhhhhhh, you gone and done it now, Maybelline.

HelloMabel

> Ohhhhhhhh, you gone and done it now, Maybelline.

I done started back doin’ the things I used to do.

ori-STUDFARM

Have a Red Dwarf Timeline…that I’ve not really looked closely at yet and may actually be total bollocks. I also don’t think it is to any kind of time scale down the side with the episode titles…

http://visual.ly/red-dwarf-timey-whimey-time-line

Ridley

Kolchanski

Hilly inexplicably disappears

The boys are again 3 million years from Earth as if [Series VIII] never happened

Nope.

Pete Part Three

Yeah, I started trying to make sense of it and then gave up. It’s quite pretty, I suppose.

Ridley

Ridley

Achenbach…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kcuT_Xm16U

(Nicked from last night’s Last Week Tonight this morning)

Stephen Abootman

Stephen Abootman

Bit of a dry, stats driven article but sounds like UKTV did well in 2016:

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2017/01/driven-originals-push-uktv-track-break-ratings-soci-records-eoy-2016/

“Some of the shows driving Dave’s success include Red Dwarf XI (2.4 million Total Consumption)”

I’m guessing that ‘total consumption’ is everyone who watched via the various methods available or something similar?

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 151 posts - 1 through 151 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.