Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Things found through Red Dwarf Google Alerts…

Viewing 100 posts - 201 through 300 (of 374 total)
  • Author
    HelloMabel
    Participant

>Remind me to play ‘Chilly Down’ at the Next DJ. I ALWAYS sodding forget about it.

What instrument do you play?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

What instrument do you play?

Piano and keyboard. Currently learning guitar.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Piano and keyboard. Currently learning guitar.
    I play violin, piano and do a bit of singing. Is there usually a piano at the hotel where DJ is held? Between you, me and Alex (and others? are there other musicians on here too?) we could get a nice group together if only I had the funds to get over there for a DJ. But maybe now I’ve got a better job…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

There are a fair few musicians who go to DJ, aye. i’ve always said we should set up some sort of live band playing Dwarf related and other cast-related stuff like Labyrinth, maybe even going so far as to persuade DJJ to sing Chilly Down with us :)

ChrisM
    Participant

>are there other musicians on here too?

I can play the keyboard, but I’m out of practice, and it looks like that’s covered already. :)

I’ve never been to DJ but I hope to rectify that at some point.

pendo86
    Participant

are there other musicians on here too?

I can play the triangle =P

Alex
    Participant

There are a fair few musicians who go to DJ, aye. i’ve always said we should set up some sort of live band playing Dwarf related and other cast-related stuff like Labyrinth, maybe even going so far as to persuade DJJ to sing Chilly Down with us :)

Rehearsal would be the main problem. It’d be a bit rag-tag without, but it would be do-able in theroy.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

It’s the main reason the idea hasn’t been viable. I’ve been trying for years.

Connell
    Participant

I play the Bass guitar and would totally be up for an idea like that, however I’m in Spain at the moment studying abroad. Have you guys considered doing something in the vein of the Doctor Who Fan Orchestra?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LKe_dFhle4

Alex
    Participant

It’s the main reason the idea hasn’t been viable. I’ve been trying for years.

Aye, with everyone spread around I can imagine. I know I’ve played plenty of gigs with Venture South which have suffered greatly from not being able to rehearse until the day before, and that’s with the musicians whose playing and quirks I know inside out and whose parts I’ve written.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Hmm. Well I’d be willing to give it a try. Write out some parts. Meet up by skype or videochat beforehand so we can play for each other and revise parts. (Obviously too much delay time to actually rehearse that way, but at least we can get to know each other’s playing and have a rapport.) Arrive a day or two early, meet up and rehearse.

My attitude is, it ain’t the Proms. If it falls apart, at least we had a good time. :)

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Google Alerts has come up with a link to a forum discussing:

http://www.fark.com/comments/6933683/Fan-of-British-sitcom-Red-Dwarf-escapes-Philadelphia-Police-custody-Last-seen-wearing-handcuffs-green-jumpsuit-Answers-to-Smeghead
    “Fan of British sitcom “Red Dwarf” escapes Philadelphia Police custody. Last seen wearing handcuffs and green jumpsuit. Answers to Smeghead”

Some humorous responses on the forum thread. One person getting the Smoke Me A Kipper line wrong…but in fairness, this was picked up on later. It all stems from this story apparently about an escaped felon in Philidelphia. http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Escaped-Prisoner-on-the-Loos-139063044.html
    Where he is described as:
    “Police say the suspect is a black man, about 6’3”, with a sparse beard and mustache. He has multiple tattoos on his face and arms, including an “H” between his eyebrows.”

Brayds2006
    Participant

tattoos…including an “H” between his eyebrows.

Man, if only Carbug wasn’t stolen from him, it would make a great getaway chase.

Dave
    Participant
    Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Ha, nice one Ben!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Oh, that diagram is shit. I drew it in thirty minutes, with a mouse, from a Series VIII screengrab. I’ve thought of redoing it as a proper vector jobby. Maybe I will if I can afford to buy a new Wacom tablet.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

As far as I’m aware, we haven’t had any official confirmation of when RDX will be airing other than sometime in Autumn. I think Robert mentioned September on his blog which, although probable, still isn’t official.

This forum posting came in on the Google Alerts which has a personal email from Robert to one of the users stating “And yes, there is a new season of red dwarf coming this Sept-Oct. “

http://www.planetoceanalliance.org/forum/showthread.php/18749-Kryten-s-Red-Dwarf-thinks-Sea-Shepherd-is-Cool?p=162959

I still suspect that this is Robert assuming when it’ll be, but it could be that he has been given more info…

Alex
    Participant

Chris Evans (not that one) has just announced that Norm’s new DVD ‘Outside The Box’ is now available from http://www.gofasterstripe.com.

Here’s the blurb:

It’s said that you shouldn’t meet your heroes, but it turns out as long as your hero is Norman Lovett, then it’s all OK. Norman is probably best known for his portrayal of Holly in Red Dwarf. And we’ve managed to fulfil another one of our comedy ambitions, spending time with him making this DVD.

It was recorded in September 2011, just after Norman finished a run in Edinburgh, so he’s primed and red hot – not that you’d notice of course. Norman’s style of laid back surrealist whimsy masks the fact that he was “on fire” that night. Why not see for yourself and see if he doesn’t become your hero too.

Oh – and extras you say? Well, there’s a late night, after gig chat with Arnold Brown, who we happened to record the same night. The pair reveal just what it’s like to be a couple of old fellas doing comedy.

Alex
    Participant

I doubt it’s of interest frankly, but I’ve reviewed Norm’s DVD on a new site I set up the other day. It’s mainly there just to collate Dwarf news each week in the run up to the new series, but in the meantime I thought I’d use it for bits like this too. I’m going to try and keep it running at least until the new series has been on, then I’ll review whether I want to keep it going or not.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Excellent, Alex! With everything that’s been said, it’s easy to forget just how good Norman actually is.

Also, I’m delighted there’s another Red Dwarf site out there.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I keep thinking of launching one, but I don’t think I’d have anything interesting to say.

Alex
    Participant

Excellent, Alex! With everything that’s been said, it’s easy to forget just how good Norman actually is.

Yes, it seemed like a good chance to redress the balance by looking at why I like him and his act. A few people I’ve spoken to outdside of G&T seemed to be under the impression that I hate Norman, and it’s just not true.

I keep thinking of launching one, but I don’t think I’d have anything interesting to say.

I sort of fear the same is true of me to be honest.

Carlito
    Participant

G&T is just so comprehensive that it’s hard to think what a new Red Dwarf fansite could actually add nowadays. You want an online community? Well, between here and TOS that’s covered pretty extensively. Behind the scenes goss? What other site would be as dedicated as to fill droughts in Red Dwarf happenings by reviewing Dark Ages or Wally Who, or scour the internet for anything with even the most tenous Dwarf connection, or start a flame war with Iain Lee. Everything I want is right here!

A few will maybe spring up now that RDX is set to air… Or maybe not, this isn’t 1996 anymore and the novelty factor of “I have a website” is no longer prevalent. Even if they do, they probably won’t last.

Alex
    Participant

That’s the problem right there. That’s why in focusing on covering news mainly at the moment, to create a central source for all the little bits of information that tend to get passed by in the forum. Like I say though, come October I’ll review the situation. While we are in the run up to airing though there seems to be a gap for something else.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’m planning on launching a website focusing on editorials about Doctor Who, a similar approach to Red Dwarf stuff might be interesting.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Nice blog Alex. I learnt something reading it, cus im not constantly on twitter,
    so yeah. Rounding things up and personal comment, I’m all for variety of internet set ups.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Well, there were a few G+T sites and then G+T swallowed them up.

It’s like Microsoft in that respect. And very few others.

Dave
    Participant
    Ridley
    Participant
    HelloMabel
    Participant

What, a smeg-talking competition?

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Please somebody….do another version and go “SMEEEEEEEEEEEE”

HelloMabel
    Participant
    performingmonkey
    Participant

That order is correct. :D

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

That wasn’t anything to do with the fact that RedDwarfHQ and Richard Naylor tweeted people to vote at all…

si
    Participant

I’d just like to point out that I voted about ten mins before Richard Naylor Tweeted about it.

performingmonkey
    Participant

I’d just like to point out that Moffat had better get his arse in gear if he wants me to stop wishing it was Toby Whithouse’s Who coming this autumn, with Damien Malony (Hal in Being Human) as the 12th Doctor.

In other news…Merlin! *cheers* RDX! *wanks*

Jonsmad
    Participant
    Jonsmad
    Participant
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

So did Merlin become not abominably shit eventually?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I like Merlin. That is my answer to that question.

performingmonkey
    Participant

> So did Merlin become not abominably shit eventually?

Oh you…

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0999606/

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster
    Dave
    Participant
    Ridley
    Participant

Please somebody….do another version and go “SMEEEEEEEEEEEE”

I’d give a lot of internet love to anyone who gave the ‘orange juice’ page a full-on Pam Doove.

Jo
    Participant

Not the most flattering pic of the lovely Hattie: http://stars.topnews.in/27049-hattie-hayridge-attends-chortle-awards

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Does Hattie normally keep her hair like that, or…?

Nick R
    Participant

This wasn’t me:
    http://jeffords.blogspot.com/search/label/Red%20Dwarf

Bits that caught my eye as I skimmed through those reviews.

The above photo does not do Pete the Dinosaur justice. For a low budget show, the CGI work is great. Pete looks three dimensional, moves smoothly, and interacts with characters and props flawlessly. The CGI would hold up for a big budget television show today.

“Pete” is good overall.

“‘Pete’ is good overall,” he said. “Good overall.” “Good.”

… No, I don’t see it either.

Bit of a mix-up here. And come on, you might not be too keen on the original Kochanski, but calling her a snake-haired demon seems a bit harsh!

Kochansky is played by Clara Grogan. She will be played in series seven, eighth, and Back to Earth by Elizabeth Morehead, whom I find far more attractive than gorgan. Personally, it is difficult to see what Lister finds in her at the moment. Maybe it is indicative of his low goals in life.

Which country is better at geography?

One line in particular stands out for me. Rimmer is tracking the despair squid on SONAR as it approaches Starbug. He does not know what it is, but comments that it is the size of New Mexico. Viewers of a British sitcom can visualize the American state of New Mexico? Odds are, most Americans could not do that. The reverse would certainly never happen. Can you imagine a character on How I Met your Mother comparing something to the size of Essex? Imagine how well that would work. I will concede Red Dwarf is a cult hit in the United States more so than many other BBC offerings. Tha joke may have been for Americans, though I imagine they overestimated our general grasp of geography.

Never realised the Dog/Cat scenes had such Unfortunate Implications:

“Parallel Universe” is most well known for its opening dance sequence. The idea came about because the creators of Red Dwarf, Rob Grant and Doug Naylor, were concerned that writing Cat as such a stupid character might be racist. They wanted to give Danny John-James, a talented song and dance man as well as actor, a chance to play a role other than Cat as usual. You have to find that odd considering Dog refers to Cat as “boy” right before the dance off. Perhaps there is a cultural difference in the United Kingdom that makes that less offensive, but my southern sensibilities had me wondering.

A method of joke quoting that doesn’t really work:

Now, cat offers up a suggestion to a problem that would be a science fiction staple on another show, but absent on Red Dwarf. when the doors seal tight because Holly shurs down, Cat suggests blasting them open with lasers. Kryten replies that is a fine idea, but for two problems. One, there is no power for a laser and two, they do not have any lasers. Maybe you have to hear it for the joke to be funny.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Oddly, I did try to watch that scene without sound and just lip reading to put that theory of “having to hear it to get it” to the test. I found it funny because I already knew the dialogue…but my wife didn’t.

si
    Participant

Hattie’s hand in this photo looks peculiar. Not as bad as me, mind.

http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/126_11632280461_798285461_1312143_6773_n.jpg

Pete Part Three
    Participant

As you can see, she was really really really really really thrilled to meet him.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

They look like a men’s hands. Are you sure it isn’t Norman in a wig?

Dave
    Participant
    ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I’d eat a Listy burger….but be wishing it was a Krytie burger instead

JamesTC
    Participant

Listy vindaloo? It’s not gonna to work.

Dave
    Participant

I discovered the website of Adam ‘Wayne’ Morris and there are some fantastic anecdotes on there, but this description of his working with Danny on Maid Marian is worth a read:

http://www.adammorris.net/biog/maidmarian2.php

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Just checked my ‘Google Alerts’ and was going to post the Digital Spy thread that cropped up…then I realised how many fucking twats were posting in it with stupid fucking comments and I thought ‘fuck that’. I hate it when the ‘Google Alerts’ leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth!

Luckily, this also cropped up. Now I’ve already seen some of this posted over on TOS forums. But this puts it all together in one place so wonderfully. Basically, some great fan art and sculptings of our boys from the Dwarf

http://www.shortlist.com/cool-stuff/design/red-dwarf-artist-inspires-sculptor

HelloMabel
    Participant

Great article, thanks Dave!

Oh man, I’d never heard about DJJ’s false detainment in Minehead. It’s shocking how many people have been arrested or detained just for being black. I’ve had 2 friends get pulled over on a “DWB.” I know there are good police out there and I do appreciate their work, but there are still a disturbing number of sad ones with nothing better to do than “racial profiling” – yet another euphemism for racism. (Sorry if I come off as fixated on racism. It’s been on my mind a lot lately because of the Trayvon Martin story.)

HelloMabel
    Participant

Nice one Ori! I’m cheered up already. :)

Jo
    Participant

Yeah, I saw those over on TOS, they’re fab! Nice to see the evolution from sketch to sculpture :)

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I’m very disappointed that there’s not a whole section on his appearance in the Tongue Tied video on Wayne Morris’s site.

Dave
    Participant
    ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

1996 you started your GCSE’s? I hate you! You make me feel old! I finished in 1990!!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I started mine in 1999.

Alex
    Participant

And mine would have started in 2003.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’m revising for my 11+.

I’m not 11, I’ve just failed it a shitload of times.

Jo
    Participant

http://totalminerforums.com/topic/21861-red-dwarf/

Aside from anything else, the OP links to TOS and then appears to know nothing about a new series… *facepalm*

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

First thing I saw on my last ‘Google Alert’ update was a forum posting asking if there were any other Dwarf fans. Nothing unusual there. Except for somebody with the inability to find Red Dwarf on You Tube, Yahoo or Google who was then asking for links. Wonder how they were spelling it? Basically, we come across these kind of postings all the time. They’re nothing out of the ordinary. Until I saw the name of the site…. StabYourself.net? Is Red Dwarf now appealing to self harmers?!!!
    http://www.fimfiction.net/story/18906/My-Little-Red-Dwarf

Luckily, the alert also had a light fluffy one too….And I suspect some of us here may know a little bit more about this.
    http://www.fimfiction.net/story/18906/My-Little-Red-Dwarf

Jennifer
    Participant

Got a new one that I’ve never seen before. Considering Easter just passed (hah!), thought it was rather appropriate. This one features Kryten.

Is Christian Heaven More Real than any Other?
    http://crossexaminedblog.com/tag/red-dwarf/

Dave
    Participant

Dennis the donut boy in entirely inconsequential and subjective top ten list:
    http://davewrotethis.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/c-is-forcaptains.html

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Sneering website includes Red Dwarf news stories posted by twats

http://tinyurl.com/chtg78y

Dave
    Participant

Flatterer.

Alex
    Participant
    si
    Participant

I thought that was great – really well done, well edited, well put together…then that final shot spoilt it. :/

Nick R
    Participant

Via Andrew Ellard, a particularly accurate Doctor Dwarf mashup:

Ridley
    Participant
    Jo
    Participant

Specifically you’re voting for the opening title to the first two series here, before it stated using the more traditional clips approach. The version here is actually from the Remastered DVDs, but we didn’t think you’d mind it looking its best.

But congrats to P2P for being his video being selected as the RD titles looking their best! :)

Jo
    Participant
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Seven years on and this still makes me laugh. Never saw their original piece on it at the time:

http://www.kasterborous.com/2005/06/to-davros-with-lovett/

They link to Seb’s blog in there, too.

Jo
    Participant
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

It might be just me, but that doesn’t look like the same jacket worn in Epideme? The collar’s different for a start…

Dave
    Participant

A thing about 1993, Red Dwarf VI and Smegazine comics:

http://davewrotethis.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/this-years-been-bad-enough-as-it-is.html

Jo
    Participant
    HelloMabel
    Participant

He does know channel Dave was not really named after Lister, doesn’t he? I think I’ll leave him a comment just in case.

Also: Aww.

Dave
    Participant
    ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I am currently looking through some of the RD Google Alerts that have inundated my inbox…..Did something big happen last friday?

Anyway….lots of blog posts and websites reporting about the RDX trailer. Now I don’t mind some of these websites getting some bits if information wrong. Some fans that aren’t as obsessed as us, or haven’t researched all that well. (Like I could really criticise the lack of research!!)

But when these are paid journalists working for the national daily’s making such blatant inaccurate statements, it pisses me right the fuck off!

Read this one…

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/334753/Red-Dwarf-plummets-back-to-Earth-as-series-X-trailer-is-revealed-Red-Dwarf-plummets-back-to-Earth-as-series-X-trailer-is-revealed

This looks to me like somebody has dug up an old article and just stuck a line about the new trailer at the top….They want sacking for such shoddy work!

leroyonline
    Participant

That is awful “the series WILL be filmed in front of a live studio audience” try has been and delivered to UK TV.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The success of Back to Earth last year? Sack him. Sack him immediately.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

It’s a her….if that makes any kind of difference. She obviously looked at a single report that quoted DJJ on the ill treatment by the BBC. Something she goes into detail reporting even though it now has pretty much no bearing on BtE.

I could understand the shoddy reporting if it was a little blog with hardly any readers….but this is a paid professional….I think

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Is it normal for blogs to just copy and paste entire articles from the official Red Dwarf site? And not even hide the fact?
    http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/70606963.html

These people seem to like the new series….except for it’s use of canned laughter! Clueless twats! >:(
    http://forums.downloadfestival.co.uk/m5418323-p2.aspx

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Oh No They Didn’t! (or ONTD) basically just copy-pastes articles from elsewhere. That’s their thing Surprised they haven’t gotten in trouble for it yet, but they have a fair bit of industry clout. Which is odd.

JamesTC
    Participant

I think it’d be worse if they hid the fact that they just copy articles. At least they provide a link to the original article and so credit the source.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Not great writing, very self-indulgent… but his heart’s in the right place. :)

http://www.nerdko.com/2012/07/30/nerdko-celebrates-the-announcement-of-red-dwarf-x/

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Why aren’t they using that new logo on the new series!!!! It’s on the front of TOS, why can’t it be used in the show…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I don’t think I’ve heard that “extended” version of the theme (used in his merchandise video) for about 15 years. It kept on popping up on compilation albums. Interesting.

HelloMabel
    Participant

> Why aren’t they using that new logo on the new series!!!!

I suspect it’s because they wanted BTE to have a singular logo since it was a one-off in every way. RDX is back to the normal series, ergo, back to the black background.

But I agree: it would have been smashing.

Dave
    Participant

Red Dwarf V, earlier Smegazine comic strips and Ghostwatch in a thing about 1992:

http://davewrotethis.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/it-has-turned-out-to-be-annus-horribilis.html

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I think he only writes these blogs to get a mention on G&T! He’s always talking about Red Dwarf this or Red Dwarf that. Now he’s gone full Ghostwatch on us!!

…he does write a good blog though :)

HelloMabel
    Participant

Yeah, I enjoy Dave’s writing too. It’s kind of funny that he advertises his blog posts through this thread: “I found this… after I wrote it.” He could create his own thread…

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Yeah, but some immature git will joke about the plugging and then someone else even more immature starts butt plug jokes and before we know it, we’ve turned into 4Chan!

Oh, by the way, does anyone know if there’s a joke in the new series of Red Dwarf about how the word “butt plug” has the word “butt” in it? I heard that somewhere.

Viewing 100 posts - 201 through 300 (of 374 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.