Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Things found through Red Dwarf Google Alerts…

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 374 total)
  • Author
    Jo
    Participant

It goes with his almost uncanny ability to make friends wherever he goes.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

He is mostly remembered for his role as Holly, a fact that sometimes grates a little

Should probably stop doing stuff like this, then:

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

http://www.autodesk.de/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=14367573&linkID=10225802

Found this quite interesting from the the old Google Alerts earlier. All about the post production done on BtE by Mike Seymour and co…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Good find!!

Jo
    Participant
    Ian Symes
    Keymaster

That’s literally the best fan fic I’ve ever read.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’ve now read this eight times. It’s fantastic.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Google alerts has just sent me a link to some fan designed alternative covers for your Red Dwarf collection.

Apart from the elongated pencil design of Red Dwarf on the spines, I kinda like these.

http://www.customaniacs.org/forum/custom-coversets/137761-red-dwarf-complete-1-10-a.html

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Hmmm. Firstly, the existing ones are great, some of the best multi-series DVD covers ever, so I’m not sure why you’d want to replace them with a plain and boring design that’s exactly the same for each one and which anyone could knock up in paint in five minutes. Secondly, as you say, Remastered ship, BLEGH. And thirdly… “season”?

I’M OUT.

I mean, it’s clearly aimed at people with pirate copies, but even they could do better.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I do like spines that combine into a single image though. Like the old remastered….but I hadn’t noticed the use of the word “Season”.

Oh dear :?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

1 downloaders

Popular.

Jo
    Participant

WIN THE ULTIMATE RED DWARF COLLECTION!
    http://www.ukprize.co.uk/Free-UK-Prize-Draw/179/Red-Dwarf-Collection-Competition.html?T=fb-RedDwarf

This complete fan pack contains:

Red Dwarf: 20th Anniversary
    All The Shows
    Just the Smegs – DVD
    Beat The Geek – Game
    Starbug – Toy
    Framed Photo
    In Your Pocket Gadget
    Red Dwarf Mug
    Signed Photo – Craig Charles

So not entirely “complete” then?

peas_and_corn
    Participant

Every episode along with the novelty DVDs and some merch? It might not be the extras laden versions of the DVDs but it’s still a good prize pack.

Jo
    Participant

*cough* Back to Earth *cough*

Jo
    Participant
    Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I have been theoretically banned from playing Minecraft on the grounds that I will NEVER STOP MAKING THINGS LIKE THIS IN THERE…

It’s like lego but with a virtual set of infinite building blocks…

Jo
    Participant

Oh Norman. You just couldn’t let it lie could you?

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/article/101702-norman-lovett

And the Red Dwarf fans, are they hard to deal with? “No, they’re lovely. Although I did recently get involved with a bunch of Red Dwarf extremists who have this website. They were saying I’m bitter. I wish I’d got paid a bit more, but there’s no way I’m bitter. I was so angry, I called up the guy who runs the website to complain. He’s the singer in a band apparently. Well, he wasn’t in, so I shouted at the drummer for a while instead.”

Hehe, we’re “Red Dwarf extremists”.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I didn’t know you were in a band, Ian and John? Kept that quiet…

Carlito
    Participant

He’s referring to VS isn’t he? Strange cat.

Bitter old fart.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I’m not bitter, I just Google the usernames of people who accuse me of being bitter on forums, find contact information for people connected to them and rant down the phone. No bitterness whatsoever.

“I’m also extremely youthful with a full head of hair.”

What the hell are “Red Dwarf extremists” anyway? Do we have, like, Molotov cocktails to throw, slogans to write on walls, thousand-page manifestos, things like that?

Anyway, sounds like he’s staking his future on making millions off his tell-all, ‘cos I’d be willing to bet that this “I’m not bitter, I just Google-stalk my online detractors so I can yell at them over their phone” does very little to inspire confidence in any future employers of his.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

DEATH TO THE TREKKIES. THEY ARE THE INFIDELS!!!!

ChrisM
    Participant

I particularly like the fact that he states he isn’t bitter, then says that the bloke he yelled at on the phone wasn’t even the person he had intended to contact.

Poor drummer. ;)

I like Norman though. He makes me smile, if not entirely for the right reasons.

si
    Participant

It’s such a shame. I love Norm’s Holly, but think that he’s a cunt. *sighs sadly*

Alex
    Participant

And the Red Dwarf fans, are they hard to deal with? “No, they’re lovely. Although I did recently get involved with a bunch of Red Dwarf extremists who have this website. They were saying I’m bitter. I wish I’d got paid a bit more, but there’s no way I’m bitter. I was so angry, I called up the guy who runs the website to complain. He’s the singer in a band apparently. Well, he wasn’t in, so I shouted at the drummer for a while instead.”

James still has his number so if I say something that aggravates Norm he knows who is calling. I’d love to know what gave him the impression I run the site.

srmcd1
    Participant

Maybe he meant it like this:

RED DWARF X-TREME!

That’d be so cool if I had a clue what it was.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’d love to know what gave him the impression I run the site.

That would be a classic knee-jerk reaction to a critic… It’s essential that we all… HE’S THE WEBMASTER!!!

Alex
    Participant

Perhaps I should repent and offer to take him to the pub so we can sit and discuss it like grown men over a pint of bitter.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

– Bitter, Norman?
    – No, are you?
    – Would you like a pint of bitter, Norman?
    – Err, yeah.

Jo
    Participant

Not Google Alerts, but I think this should live here:

@TheABlogger
    “Calling all red dwarf fans @RedDwarfTV @RedDwarfNews @TORDFC etc check out my newest post i think you will be impressed theablogger-theablog.blogspot.com”

John Hoare
    Participant

check out my newest post i think you will be impressed theablogger-theablog.blogspot.com

You don’t make it cos… you’re crap.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

If only I’d come across him when we first recorded the ScutterCast. He could have told us where we went wrong…

si
    Participant

He’s heard “through the grapevine”, huh? Wow, he’s got his finger on the pulse, and no mistake.

Ridley
    Participant
    ChrisM
    Participant

Very interesting! If I wanted to be pedantic I’d say ‘stasis isn’t the same as cryo-sleep’, but what the smeg.

Dave
    Participant

> If I wanted to be pedantic I’d say ‘stasis isn’t the same as cryo-sleep’

It’s spelt completely differently.

ChrisM
    Participant

> If I wanted to be pedantic I’d say ‘stasis isn’t the same as cryo-sleep’

It’s spelt completely differently.

That too.

Jo
    Participant
    ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Just had the Topless Robot article posted to my Facebook wall. I read point number 8 first and thought “Well, they obviously haven’t got a fucking clue!” and didn’t read the rest.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Ill-informed nonsense. Why should they “admit that Back to Earth was a waste of time” when for millions of fans it was anything but?

And as for this:

We live in a time when Doctor Who is nearly as popular in the United States as it is in Britain.

I don’t even know where to start, except to say NO IT BLOODY ISN’T. It gets roughly an EIGHTH of the viewing figures in the US that it does in the UK, despite the population being nearly five times bigger.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

8. Admit Back to Earth Was a Waste of Time
    One of the better things BTE did was completely ignore the pile of wank that was Only the Good… The show, while not my cup of tea in its present form, is in a far better state that it was in at the turn of the millennium.

7.Increase the Show’s Visibility in the U.S.
    Who gives a shit? How is this ‘saving’ the show?

5. Get Back to Basics
    Bizarre to use series VI as an example. How is that, with its season long arc, back to basics for a UK sitcom?

Don’t disagree with the rest of it.

clem
    Participant

I didn’t know Danny was in Little Shop of Horrors. Only the other day I spotted his and Charles Augins’s names in the credits of Labyrinth.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Yup, he’s the guy who goes “Good for you!” in the song “Da-Doo”, although I think he’s just miming someone else’s voice.

It was shot in the UK (Pinewood?) so the “names” aside, most of the supporting cast are British…

Ridley
    Participant

Firey 3 and 4 were the best Fireys.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Remind me to play ‘Chilly Down’ at the Next DJ. I ALWAYS sodding forget about it.

Nick R
    Participant

A Google Images find rather than a Google Alerts find:

This recent article prompted me to search for an image of the Ace Rimmer Worlds Tour T-shirt (which a friend of mine had and I always wished I did too!), and for some reason this picture from Something Awful’s Ctrl-Alt-Delete mocking thread came up in the search results.

I don’t know why but one of the other search results was this terrifying thing. Believe me, you don’t want to click on that link. Really. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

redhead85
    Participant

Liked the main pic.

The link pic made me laugh so hard, the baby almost fell out.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

No.

No.

ChrisM
    Participant

Heh. The first seems like Red Dwarf done Morcambe and Wise style.

As for the latter…. disturbing image aside, the guy/gal has talent but they need to sort out their proportions! Or maybe it’s a holo version of Ace and his light bee’s contracted a virus. His lifestyle may put him at particular risk of that. Next time install some proper RBR AV software before-hand Ace-lad. ;)

Ridley
    Participant

http://marvel.toonzone.net/news.php?action=fullnews&id=716

MAA: Can you quickly run us through “The Final Battle! (‘Nuff Said!)” – what we can expect when Cartoon Network airs the episode this Friday?

Matt Wayne: Expect a lot of laughs, a few tears, and something to think about. And some puns. And one obscure Red Dwarf reference. Nicole Dubuc wrote a hysterical final episode, a great big romp to cap our great big cosmic storyline.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Fan Art Friday: Red Dwarf

Some nice fan art popped up on Google alerts. Some I’d seen before. Some I hadn’t…

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

This has just cropped up. Did you know that filming begins soon…on the 23rd of December to be precise!! And they have a secret video of a make up test!!

http://tellyspotting.org/2011/12/04/secret-red-dwarf-x-video-signals-beginning-of-greatness/

Jo
    Participant

“A bit of urban myth RD history…”

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> “A bit of urban myth RD history…”

See, what they’ve done there is confuse myths with actual, factual events.

Jo
    Participant

Its [sic] just *got* to be shit though hasnt [sic again] it? Holly (the guy) isnt [very sic indeed] in it either…

:( .

peas_and_corn
    Participant

They seem to think a few things are shit over there.

Alex
    Participant

From Go Faster Stripe’s mailing list:

Our next DVD release is looking like it will be Norman Lovett’s DVD – we are aiming for a January release there. Although there’s an old school ‘direct from VHS’ DVD of Stewart Lee’s 1995 standup show that might well pip it to the post.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

That’s sure to be good.

si
    Participant

You being sarcastic about Norm, or sincere about Stew? I’ll accept either.

performingmonkey
    Participant

I want to see Norman try to buy the rights to the Holly character then he can appear as just a head on stage for a whole hour.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I mentioned this on a Dwarfcast but I genuinely think that Hattie should do the black polo-neck jumper thing for a special Q&A at DJ…

si
    Participant

Was looking for any Red Dwarf stuff on Google, and found this piece about a West Ham mascot. Good looking bloke.

Shit Lookalikes: ‘Hammerhead’ (West Ham’s New Mascot) & Kryten From Red Dwarf

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Ian was right – the new Kryten head does seem a bit loose.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

>I mentioned this on a Dwarfcast but I genuinely think that Hattie should do the black polo-neck jumper thing for a special Q&A at DJ…

Yes she should. But not via Skype. She should sit on stage in the corner with a box that has the front cut out on her head

JamesTC
    Participant

>the new Kryten head does seem a bit loose.

Well I think that’s just cute!

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> Yes she should. But not via Skype. She should sit on stage in the corner with a box that has the front cut out on her head

I think the idea was that it could be then blown up onto a big screen and made to look a bit more TV.

Jo
    Participant
    Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

It’s a very nice report, but everytime he mentions ‘Rob Grant’ it throws me off…

Jo
    Participant

I mentioned it to him, he’s asked them to amend it but he’s still waiting.

si
    Participant

Right, this wasn’t found through Google, but it is about Red Dwarf, and as I didn’t know where to post it, I thought I’d shove it here as it doesn’t really merit a thread of it’s own. So:

The BBC Website have got a piece where it’s entertainment writers tell us about the forthcoming Films/Books/Music/TV etc to look forward to. The TV bit is from Lizo Mzimba (formerly ‘Lizo off of Newsround’) and mentions Dwarf X.

And after more than three years sci-fi favourite Red Dwarf makes a long-awaited return. Like its last three-episode run Back to Earth it will be broadcast on digital channel Dave. All four of the main cast will be reprising their roles as the ship’s long-serving crew.

So there.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I struggle to think of BTE > X as “long-awaited”, considering the gaps we’re used to…

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Not from Google?…..are you that one guy that uses BING!??!!!

I’d heard legend, but never expected them to be true…..

Ridley
    Participant

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Okay…I watched the episode and I’m sure Sheldon says something about sitting down to watch all 61 episodes of the BBC comedy, Red Dwarf. I’m assuming that Back To Earth isn’t included in that boxset. So where’s the extra 9 from? Smeg Ups and Documentaries maybe?

JamesTC
    Participant

Wikipedia says 61 so Big Bang says 61.

Maybe he includes BTE, the xtended episodes, the animated episodes and the pilot which all get it to 61.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Shoddy research…me thinks they are not genuine geeky fanboys

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

…that said, I am reminded of somebody else who had similarly shoddy research…or lack of. I think I better keep quiet…

Alex
    Participant

Is it normally on the money with that sort of thing? I’ve only ever watched it once, when my South African girlfriend at the time wanted me to watch it and explain all the geeky references etc. That killed the comedy somewhat.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

>Is it normally on the money with that sort of thing?

To be honest, I don’t think they go into anything more than the basic of knowledge most of the time. At first, i thought the writing was a genuine admiration for most things geeky. Now I suspect the writers are not really all that geeky and are just trying to cash in on the culture of the “nerd”

JamesTC
    Participant

I don’t mind a little inaccuracy. They at least tried.

Besides, 16 million Americans now knowing what Red Dwarf is can only be a good thing.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Let us recall the infamous line from Buffy:

“I’ve seen every episode of Doctor Who. Not Red Dwarf though, it’s not on DVD.”

WHAT, AND ALL OF DOCTOR WHO IS?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Wikipedia says 61 so Big Bang says 61.

Maybe he includes BTE, the xtended episodes, the animated episodes and the pilot which all get it to 61.

I think the Wikipedia entry will have said 61 by counting the original 52, plus three for BTE, plus six for RDX. It’s now been split into a more correct figure (“55 plus 6 to broadcast”), but clearly they just picked it up from there.

I seem to be in a minority among nerdy friends I know by really liking TBBT. It’s funny, it’s got good characters, they generally get their comics-referencing alright (mainly because, as a WB sitcom, they’re heavy on DC stuff), an issue of Phonogram once appeared in it, and I fancy Kaley Cuoco to a really quite ridiculous degree.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

I do like Big Bang Theory, but i have to say i agree with a lot with this article about ‘Why Geeks shouldn’t/don’t like Big Bang Theory’

http://www.ugo.com/tv/11-reasons-geeks-hate-the-big-bang-theory

Number 9 is probably more apt at the moment given the Dwarf reference

It didn’t even occur to me that Penny doesn’t even have a last name. I do agree though, her character has had not an inch of development in 5 series.

Must admit i don’t agree with the studio audience one.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I think Penny’s character has developed somewhat as it’s gone on. To start off she knew nothing about anything from Leonard’s world. Being from the world of the “cool” where drinking and partying and expensive shoes reign supreme.

Although still clearly a part of the “cool” crowd, she has found herself understanding more of the geek references and stuff from Leonard’s world. At times when she is with friends from “her world”, she finds herself making geeky references that she wouldn’t have known anything about before and non of her friends understand…

As for enjoying the show…yeah. I really just like the characters. I don’t think the show is as clever as some people make it out to be, but I find myself really laughing at some of the character comedy.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Laying an ocean of canned laughter down on top of something doesn’t make it any funnier, and in fact often makes things less funny.

FUCK THE FUCKING FUCKING FUCK OFF.

How am I supposed to take an article about television seriously when it’s written by someone who doesn’t have THE MOST BASIC FUCKING CLUE about how television works?

Chuck Lorre is notorious for how badly his shows treat women. Two And A Half Men is probably the worst offender, but The Big Bang Theory is horrible as well. Women exist as sex objects for men to lust over and not much else. Amazingly enough, the show actually tried to take a step in the right direction by introducing Leslie Winkle, a female optical physicist who works with Leonard at the lab. Leslie, played by Sara Gilbert, brought a refreshing take on the female geek to the table, but after four episodes as a featured performer, the writers claimed they “didn’t know how to write for her,” so she was dropped from the cast.

It’s true, though. The character didn’t work. However, the show also currently contains three brilliant and really funny lead female characters. So, y’know.

And here we are at the central core of hatred at the middle of every Chuck Lorre sitcom. Women, no matter what their situation, are portrayed as nothing more than objects of desire for dudes. Whether it’s the cringe-inducingly painful courtings of Alan on Two And A Half Men, or the several women that have cycled through The Big Bang Theory, they’re never treated with anything near the level of attention their male counterparts get. The show’s female lead, the lovely Penny, doesn’t even have a last name, for God’s sake.

Dude, you made the same point twice. Pretty bad form for a list article. Also, it’s not true. ori’s got it right, here – Penny’s actually had more development than most of the other characters (especially Howard and Raj, who’ve barely developed at all since the start).

Even Malcolm In The Middle had a better geek rock theme from They Might Be Giants.

It’s true that “Boss of Me” is a better theme than “The History of Everything”. However, THEY ARE BOTH GREAT.

And, really, at the end of the day, the biggest geek gripe against The Big Bang Theory is that we know plenty of geeks who would be better protagonists for a TV show. Most scientists we know are the absolute opposite of the stereotype on the show — when you’re super-smart, you spend your time working on world-changing projects, not visiting the comic book store every Wednesday. The real geek is too busy subtitling anime or modding Skyrim to keep a job like that. If they wanted to show the actual world of geekdom, they need to lose the high-paying science jobs and focus on dudes writing articles for Internet magazines.

They didn’t “want to show the actual world of geekdom”, though. They wanted to write a funny sitcom. Sitcom characters don’t actually tend to be that similar to real people. That’s usually what makes them funny. They exaggerate the worst of us. Are you seriously going to criticise Fawlty Towers because its protagonist is so hilariously unreal? Or Red Dwarf, because nobody in the real world is as bad as Rimmer?

If The Big Bang Theory had set out to be a sharp, cutting satire about geeks, then fair enough. If it was trying to represent “us” the way that, say, Spaced did, it would be failing miserably. But it’s not. The nerdery is a hook on which to hang a generally very good, broad-humoured character sitcom. That’s all.

JamesTC
    Participant

Seen the episode now.

Penny and Wine vs Red Dwarf. Penny and Wine has no chance.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Penny and wine is probably one of the few combos that could drag me away from RD.

JamesTC
    Participant

But Red Dwarf comes with Sheldon’s recyc water.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Decisions decisions….

Jo
    Participant

>‘Why Geeks shouldn’t/don’t like Big Bang Theory’

Oh good. A list article that tells me what I should/shouldn’t like. They’re my absolute FAVOURITE!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>WHAT, AND ALL OF DOCTOR WHO IS?

Since the Triumvirate were capable of, amongst other things, interfering with the space time continuum, creating artificial intelligence and using the dark arts, is it really a stretch that they managed to track down all those missing episodes?

I’d comment on The Big Bang theory if I could watch it for more than twenty-five seconds without wanting the world to end.

ChrisM
    Participant

Most scientists we know are the absolute opposite of the stereotype on the show — when you’re super-smart, you spend your time working on world-changing projects, not visiting the comic book store every Wednesday.

Are those things mutually exclusive? Okay, since the Scientists probably work on Wednesday, they probably are, but… point is, you can be a brilliant scientist, and enjoy comic books.

>Penny and wine is probably one of the few combos that could drag me away from RD.

Me too, but then I’ve seen Red Dwarf. If she came around when the new series was being broadcast? Well… if I had to chose, I’d probably still go with Penny, but I’d be thinking of RD. (For a bit, anyway.) However, the fact that Dave show repeats and I’d inevitably end up buying the box-set would be a large deciding factor there.

Jo
    Participant

Watch Space Guys In Space, It’s Like Red Dwarf Without The Accents

Watch Space Guys In Space, It’s Like Red Dwarf Without The Accents

…because Americans don’t have accents, apparently.

HelloMabel
    Participant

>…because Americans don’t have accents, apparently.

So I read this right? And I BUSted out LAAAAfing! Cuzzit first I was all, oemgee what is she even frickin’ ON! Okay whatevs, some of us do have accentsenstuff – wull not me! – but…

…I’ll stop there since I value my life.

This is fun:
    http://www.languagetrainersgroup.com/accent-game.php

Includes people from regions of various English-speaking countries as well as some people speaking English as a second language.

[ps: new full time job (hooray!), new celebratory avatar.]

performingmonkey
    Participant

> Penny and wine is probably one of the few combos that could drag me away from RD.

Would still be Dwarf for me. Now, if it were Bernadette….

Big Bang is outstanding!

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I like Bernadette in Big Bang….not so much in True Blood.

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 374 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.