Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Thoughts on the Series XII Flipside Cover?

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 372 total)
  • Author
    Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Why did Doug combine three episodes of Back To Earth into one Directors Cut, though?

si
    Participant

Reading all these ‘three into one’ jokes is tiring me out. Whatever happened to the glory days of the Foaming Twat?

cwickham
    Participant

Should ‘three into one’ jokes have continued after being combined?

Moonlight
    Participant

Foaming Cloche butter pun ***man Lov***.

pfm
    Participant

But is that an ‘I’ or a ‘1’ ??

pfm
    Participant

> Oh, and the VHS releases of the original unremastered series are labelled ‘Red Dwarf I’ etc., although not ‘Red Dwarf Series I’.

But is that an ‘I’ or a ‘1’ ?? grrr

bloodteller
    Blocked

it’s a I.

Me Own Stunts
    Participant

I keep my Red Dwarf DVDs in one of those album-style cases that hold around 60 discs. They currently share that space with my Quantum Leap DVDs.

In other news, none of the reversible covers have ever done anything for me. They lack a silvered logo, for example.

Toxteth O-Grady
    Participant

This marvelous opus of pedantry must be kept alive, and so I’ll offer this:

>… since, unless anyone wants to correct me, the first time “Series [Numeral]” was officially used to designate the series was on the DVD releases.

Didn’t the BBC’s own adverts for the show use the roman numerals?

I seem to recall a clip advertising the then-upcoming episode ‘Holoship’ using the “Sirs, they’ve taken Mr. Rimmer!” scene with the onscreen caption:
    Thursday 9.00 RED DWARF V

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Roman numerals were on the videos, I, II, III etc

The only series without a numeral applied in an official capacity is Back To Earth which strangely given that it’s called Back to Earth is referred to as Back to Earth.

Dave
    Participant

The VHS used ‘Red Dwarf I’, rather than ‘Red Dwarf Series I’ – I think that was the distinction Seb was making.

As far as I can make out, the only time the VHSs used ‘Series I’ was the remastered boxset of all three series.

The only series without a numeral applied in an official capacity is Back To Earth

*QI Siren*

(French DVD)

GlenTokyo
    Participant

In France Jaws is called ‘The Teeth From The Sea’. I’ll stick to native language releases.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

That’s a bit xenophobic.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Not really. Just think the releases in English are the ones to look at considering origin.

(deleted)
    Participant

Back To Earth was called series 9 on BBC Store as well. It is frigging well Red Dwarf IX for BBC Worldwide purposes and they pay for the show to exist. That is why the 2012 series was called ‘Red Dwarf X’.

And it is a series of three episodes, not a special.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Ben Paddon
    Participant

That’s on BritBox, by the way.

bloodteller
    Blocked

i don’t remember lister screaming directly into the camera being in Back To Earth- Part 3

Give it a few years and everywhere will be calling it Red Dwarf Series IX, including the re-released DVD (in time for the Just the Daves boxset), then everybody can eat their IX-hating hats.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Why doesn’t someone Twitter at Doug. Get it straight from the horse’s mouth like.

flanl3
    Participant

I actually think they could still do Series IX once the show has found its footing again and do it well if Doug did it right. I fully expect the next comment to be “he wouldn’t do it right.”

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

If we’re taking word of the author, then Doug is adamant that BTE is not Series IX. So there.

bloodteller
    Blocked

hoorah

(deleted)
    Participant

If we’re taking word of the author, ‘Liberation’ is the first Divine Comedy album, ‘Them’ is the first Jon Ronson book, and Star Wars is called ‘Episode IV: A New Hope’. Doesn’t make any of those things true either!

bloodteller
    Blocked

Star Wars is called “Episode IV: A New Hope” though

Dave
    Participant

Well *now* it is.

flanl3
    Participant

If we’re taking the word of the author, Timewave is an episode of Red Dwarf, unfortunately.

bloodteller
    Blocked

so’s Pete Part 2

GlenTokyo
    Participant

If we’re taking word of the author, then Doug is adamant that BTE is not Series IX. So there.

The Lord hath spoke, BTE is not Series IX.

Now that’s sorted, what was this topic about again?

bloodteller
    Blocked

thoughts on the Series XII DVD’s reversible cover, i think?

Ben Saunders
    Participant

It’s just absurd to have the Star Wars films go I, II, III, Star Wars, V, VI and THAT’S IT THEY NEVER MADE ANY MORE

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Depending on how this December goes they might go I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VIII, though, and I’ll wonder why they skipped one

Moonlight
    Participant

Considering how fucking confused online stores get over something as simple as the Roman numeral series numbering, I don’t think you could treat BtE as not being the ninth series without just muddying the waters even further. If you listed it as a separate entity in streaming services, you’d just end up with a bunch of new fans skipping from VIII and X without ever realizing there was something in between.

Regardless of what BtE is supposed to be, it’s the set of three episodes that comes between Series VIII and Series X, and it’s better for fans just discovering the series to make it as clear as possible that that’s where it goes.

Dave
    Participant

The Lord hath spoke, BTE is not Series IX.

But it *is* the ninth series of Red Dwarf.

RickLee84
    Participant

I hate the placement of the “Series…” text o the spine of the DVDs. There’s plenty of space above or below the cast photo o the bottom to place a simple Roman numeral to indicate the series number. Instead, someone thought it was a great idea to plaster the text over the logo and not even have them the same size or location depending on what cover they designed.

Those IX, Smeg Ups, Beat The Geek and USA custom covers look great though.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

<But it *is* the ninth series of Red Dwarf.>

Not disputing that it’s the ninth outing of Red Dwarf, just the fact that it’s called Back to Earth not Red Dwarf IX.

KyoSo I get your point but it shouldn’t matter, Netflix or whoever will put it in the chronological right place regardless. Only really a problem if you’re trying to torrent it or something or you’re setting up a Plex server and you’ve never seen Red Dwarf.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

*Not disputing that it’s the ninth outing of Red Dwarf, just stating the fact that it’s called Back to Earth not Red Dwarf IX.

Damned lack of editing function

Jonsmad
    Participant

I’m gonna call it Back2Earth just to annoy more people.

My DVDs (reversed covers where possible) have always sat within a cardboard hard back slipcase for the Ronnie Barker dvd collection. Which previously housed complete porridge and open all hours etc sitcoms. All my pre 1980s comedy’s i removed from their packaging and keep in a wallet system for space. But kept this box as a handy container for dwarf and long before the irony of mr vegas or that Geordie Jesus being in a new open all hours it has kept my dwarf DVDs together, I always felt doug would have approved of the porridge link. 12 series now fills it. So come series 13 I’m fucked. As I don’t see a larger barker box being released. He’s not likely to do a new series.

flanl3
    Participant

I’m gonna call it Back2Earth just to annoy more people.

Back9Earth

Or even

BaIX to Earth

Or even

Series Back Nine Earth.

Or even

Red Dwarf, Series VIXCIIVI: Back Too Earth

Dave
    Participant

BAIX TO 9ARTH

Jonsmad
    Participant

We’ll I know some who probably call it BoIx to earth. But I liked it.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Just call it Back 9 and you’ll get the gold crowd.

flanl3
    Participant

NINE 9 SERIES

Hamish
    Participant

Red Dwarf Deep Space IX

flanl3
    Participant

Red Dwarf IX Kampf

flanl3
    Participant

(Redolf Hidwarf, that is)

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Red Dwarf 9 From Outer Space

Pete Part Three
    Participant

PILE OF SHITE

(Huh, same number of letters!)

(deleted)
    Participant

Easy way to solve this:

Why is Red Dwarf X not called Red Dwarf IX? Whatever the official answer is proves that Back To Earth is Red Dwarf IX. Because it’s clearly not “just as a joke”.

Ridley
    Participant

Red Dwarf Ecks

bloodteller
    Blocked

Red Dwarf Ecks Vs. Sever

Dave
    Participant

The series between series I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and series X, XI, XII is definitely not series IX, ok? I can’t believe anyone would be foolish enough to think that it was.

flanl3
    Participant

Y’know Windows? Here’s a little story for you: a few years ago, around 2012 I think, a new version of Windows was released, and it was called Windows 8. A few years later, in 2015, a different version of Windows was released, they called it Windows 10. In between those two, only one main version of Windows was released. Theymust have called it Windows 9, right?

Wrong. It was Windows 8.1.

Have you ever heard of iPhone? I suppose you might have heard of iPhone. This year, they announced three separate goddamn iPhones. One was the iPhone 8, and another was the iPhone X (ten). If you announce 8, X, and another, you’d suppose that other would be the iPhone Nine, right? It always gets listed in the order of 8, the other one, X. It has to be Nine in some form, right?

Wrong, it’s the iPhone 8 Plus.

There’s this thing, it’s called an Xbox. Some of you have probably heard of it. Back in 2005, they came out with an Xbox that they called the Xbox 360. Then, in 2013, there was a new Xbox that they called the Xbox One. This year, they’ve come out with a new one. Well, technically, it’s a massive revision of the Xbox One, but it’s nearly one all on its own. I could compare it to the Game Boy Color, not entirely different from the Game Boy, but different enough. Anyways, you’d expect Xbox to follow the pattern and either call it the Xbox -358 or maybe the Xbox -178.5, either as a full next Xbox or maybe halfway along, to follow the pattern of decreasing by 359. But you know what they called it?

Xbox One X.

Xbox I X.

Xbox IX.

Tell me again how sure you are that nine is the one that comes between eight and ten.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Xbox XI is just a souped up Xbox One, not a new installment in the Xbox franchise.

They had to skip Windows 9 because of all the legacy programs that just look for the first number of the OS version in code, for example they’d see Win95 or Win98 and only see Win9x.

Apple are stupid.

Moonlight
    Participant

They had to skip Windows 9 because of all the legacy programs that just look for the first number of the OS version in code, for example they’d see Win95 or Win98 and only see Win9x.

That is truly hilarious and I’d expect no less from Windows.

KyoSo I get your point but it shouldn’t matter, Netflix or whoever will put it in the chronological right place regardless.

Not if they were listing it as a separate entity called Red Dwarf: Back to Earth rather than as the ninth series of Red Dwarf. That’s something I could easily have seen happening when it was initially released, before there was any sign of a tenth series. Which is what my point was, about not designating the special as its own separate show on the listing the way they do with other specials.

Seeing as how we’ve dug up the Series IX debate, I think we should definitely argue about Hyperdrive again. I liked it when I was 14.

flanl3
    Participant

Xbox XI is just a souped up Xbox One, not a new installment in the Xbox franchise.

I’m assuming you mean IX, but are you telling me that Red Dwarf IX is…

…Red Dwarf I Remastered?

Renegade Rob
    Participant

Lister reads off the literal cover of BTE which even on the physical copy IRL says it takes place after “series ten.” And that’s clearly bullshit because Series X is definitely continuing off plot strands established in BTE, like Kochanski being alive and all that. Which leads to my conclusion:

The post-VIII series numbering of the BTE Earth universe do not correspond to “our series.” As funny as it might be to skip series IX, the reference to a “series ten” clearly reveals a separate continuity of series in that universe. So anyone saying IX already happened in the special can’t really be referring to a real series in “our” universe and are unreliable evidence of BTE being separate from IX.

For “our” purposes, i.e. Real People, BTE is Series IX, as the ninth series produced and between VIII and X.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

>Nick Frost and Miranda Hart as leads
    Oh dear.

As funny as it might be to skip series IX, the reference to a “series ten” clearly reveals a separate continuity of series in that universe.

Imagine if Doug had only written in a reference to series 9 in BtE, and then carried on with 10, that would have been the most wonderfully meta thing about the whole story.

I’m sure he said in an interview that he won’t be doing a series 9, but might be doing a 10, “which makes sense if you watch Back to Earth” or something. Which annoyed me as it makes no more sense then.

flanl3
    Participant

I mean, I do think they called Series IX “the best yet” while they did not call Series X “the best yet”

Ben Saunders
    Participant

All they say is Back to Earth happens after Series Ten, which I guess is possible, they just de-age a little at some point and then re-age again

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>If we’re taking word of the author, ‘Liberation’ is the first Divine Comedy album

It is. Fanfare for the Common Muse is an album by a different band that also happens to be called The Divine Comedy and also happens to have Neil Hannon as one of its members.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Just like how the last blink-182 release was Dogs Eating Dogs in 2012, and the fact that there is a more recent album out called California, also by a band calling themselves blink-182, doesn’t change that fact. And all of the members of Weezer died in 2002, etc.

Dave
    Participant

Actually Rivers Cuomo just kicked Death in the nuts when he came for him.

Lily
    Participant

Imagine if Doug had only written in a reference to series 9 in BtE, and then carried on with 10, that would have been the most wonderfully meta thing about the whole story.

You mean like “That’s Dave Lister’s bath from season 9. Best season ever if you ask me. Awesome season, best by miles. You were in that remember, when Kyten ran in and told you that Kochanski had been sucked out of an airlock”

Strange that it’s season and not series though. When Lister read off the back of the box he says “Back to Earth. Takes place after series 10.” etc etc

Indeed. If series 9 was truly a ‘lost’ series, then it would make sense of BtE not being 9, X coming along. There would actually be a joke in the numbering of the series, which is about as meta as it comes.

It is. Fanfare for the Common Muse is an album by a different band that also happens to be called The Divine Comedy and also happens to have Neil Hannon as one of its members.

Nope, it’s been officially acknowledged as the first DC album for some time now:
    http://thedivinecomedy.com/music

GlenTokyo
    Participant

You have to think that series/season IX would be fucking horrible to watch then. Love of man’s life is suddenly and violently killed and then he has to deal with it.

Sort of glad it doesn’t exist if that’s the story arc haha

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I might have been not being entirely serious about the Divine Comedy thing anyway. But yes, I figured when he did Victory that was the point at which he was finally acknowledging Fanfare as a thing rather than brushing it away.

As for Weezer, they have made three great albums post-2002, so nyeh.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Indeed. If series 9 was truly a ‘lost’ series, then it would make sense of BtE not being 9, X coming along. There would actually be a joke in the numbering of the series, which is about as meta as it comes.

This is the point, though, isn’t it? BTE contains dialogue that refers to a mythical series 9 that we haven’t seen and will never see. Then the show comes back for another series, and it’s not series 9, it’s series 10.

That’s the joke. That’s absolutely the joke. I’ve always seen it as deliberate.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

I actually like post-2002 Weezer (for the most part), it was just a joke

Lily
    Participant

>This is the point, though, isn’t it? BTE contains dialogue that refers to a mythical series 9 that we haven’t seen and will never see. Then the show comes back for another series, and it’s not series 9, it’s series 10.

But BtE also refers to series 10?

But BtE also refers to series 10?

Exactly. If only 9 was mentioned in BtE then it would be possible to consider it canon (just canon we’ll never see). Instead, to consider it series 9 then we have to consider that there are two separate series 10s, with BtE in the middle.

I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X BtE X XI XII
    Not a chance.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

If Derek from work left and was replaced by Clive, would you call Clive Derek 2 or Clive?

It might make sense to call Back to Earth Red Dwarf IX if BtE wasn’t given a name, for example if it had just been called Red Dwarf as some sort of special semi reboot thing, but it was called Back to Earth, it’s not a tongue twister, it’s easily shortened and is as quick to say as “Red Dwarf IX” because you say “I’m going to watch Red Dwarf IX” not “Im going to watch IX” and with Back to Earth you just say “Back to Earth”.

The only thing if doesn’t do is tell you where it comes chronologically, but we know where it comes, so why so we have to call if IX? And nobody else outside this thread gives a shit so why not just call it Back to Earth?

Hamish
    Participant

If you are appealing to apathy now though, why not just let people call it Series IX?

Lily
    Participant

>Exactly. If only 9 was mentioned in BtE then it would be possible to consider it canon (just canon we’ll never see).

I’ve got ya now. I was reading your “if only” as a wish, rather than indicating exclusivity. However, that still precludes BtE from being referred to as 9 if you consider the events of BtE as canon.

Considering it was all a hallucination though, it would be fair to say that the actual contents of BtE is irrelevant and it’s still series 9, being after 8 and before 10.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

If you are appealing to apathy now though, why not just let people call it Series IX?

Because it’s called Back to Earth, but I’d never presume anyone pays attention to what I say anyway.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The only half-way decent meta idea in the whole thing and they fuck it up by mentioning X within the story.

Ah, well. X is not actually 10, but “unknown” because no one knows how many series we’ve had by that point. of series. XI is unknown +1. And so on.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

All I want for Christmas is an edit button on the forum.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

>Ah, well. X is not actually 10, but “unknown” because no one knows how many series we’ve had by that point. of series. XI is unknown +1. And so on.

Series XI would be unknown -1, meaning the thing that came before the first unknown series, Series X. This would be Back to Earth, hence making BtE Series XI.

Sorted.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Series X would be unknown ********************************
    Hence making BtE Series IX ********************************

>All I want for Christmas is an edit button on the forum.
    I concur

Dave
    Participant

If Derek from work left and was replaced by Clive, would you call Clive Derek 2 or Clive?

If Derek from work left and was replaced by someone else called Derek, and this happened so many times that you had a Derek 1 all the way through to a Derek 8, and later on you also had a Derek 10, 11 and 12, and the bloke between Derek 8 and Derek 10 was also called Derek, what would you call him?

bloodteller
    Blocked

okay but what if after Derek 8, there was a new guy called Back To Derek? you wouldn’t call him Derek 9 would you, you’d call him Back To Derek. because that’s his name

Has this thread been nominated for Hall of Fame status yet? Because it bloody deserves it. Thus I nominate it for Hall of Fame status.

So, is BtE IX or XI then?

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Back to Earth is Series 11 and Series XI is Series 9

GlenTokyo
    Participant

okay but what if after Derek 8, there was a new guy called Back To Derek? you wouldn’t call him Derek 9 would you, you’d call him Back To Derek. because that’s his name

Back to Derek would keep asking to be called by his correct name, to responses of “fuck off you’re Derek IX” and then he’d go home to his wife and cry, eventually he’d take it up with management, “we know you’re called Back to Derek, but you did come after Derek 8, so there’s nothing we’re willing to do about it”.

At the highest court in the land Back to Derek the right honourable Douglas Naylor rules he should be awarded £50million of compensation and henceforth any reference to him as anything but Back to Derek be a crime in itself with a punishment of 120 hours of community service.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

I can imagine Doug reading this thread and just laughing to himself maniacally. He knew what he was doing

flanl3
    Participant

Also, don’t pull that Britbox crap on me. It can’t even decide if QI is hosted by Sandi or Sandy Toksvig, or in fact occasionally by anyone at all.

Dave
    Participant

But what if he was called Derek and was the ninth Derek but insisted on calling himself ‘Derek: Back To Derek’? You’d say “no, stop being pretentious, this is silly, you’re called Derek just like all the other Dereks. I’m happy to call you Back To Derek but it doesn’t stop you from being Derek 9”.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I am not a number, I’m a Derek.

Dave
    Participant

Now I’m hoping that the next series of Inside No. 9 has an episode entirely based around Back To Earth.

flanl3
    Participant

Fine, maybe the ninth Derek has got a middle name, and insists on going by it. You call him Derek Joseph, or DJ for short. He has specifically asked not to just be called Derek. You can’t call him Derek IX, since he has told you that’s not his name, and you can’t call him Derek Joseph IX, since he’s not the ninth Derek Joseph, unless he was, in which case whomever is responsible for hiring at that company needs to be audited to see if there’s any sort of bias towards people called Derek or Derek Joseph.

DJ IX spins some good tunes.

Dave
    Participant

You can’t call him Derek IX, since he has told you that’s not his name

Imagine my surprise when I found out that he *does* call himself Derek IX, but only when he’s travelling on business in France.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

>Imagine my surprise when I found out that he *does* call himself Derek IX, but only when he’s travelling on business in France.

Ha.

bloodteller
    Blocked

so is Derek USA called Derek 5.5, I wonder?

Ben Saunders
    Participant

We don’t talk about Derek USA.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Imagine my surprise when I found out that he *does* call himself Derek IX, but only when he’s travelling on business in France.

He does but only due to Derek de retour sur Terre being the name of an infamous serial killer in France

Ben Saunders
    Participant

What do you call the second attempt at Derek USA?

Dave
    Participant

Shite.

Hamish
    Participant

What would you call it if you combined nine separate Dereks into one though?

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 372 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.