Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Top 50 animated movies, with Terry Gilliam

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hummingbird
    Participant

http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/8835/time-outs-50-greatest-animated-films-curated-by-terry-gilliam.html

Interesting.
    I’m still working through the list myself. Will comment later. Or possibly tomorrow.

Dave
    Participant

Terry has fewer opinions than the introduction would imply.

Glad to see Tranformers The Movie on the list, robot deaths geniunely affected me when I was 6. I would have expected The Jungle Book & When The Wind Blows to be higher. I think Spirited Away is very overrated. I’ve never even heard of My Neighbour Toturo.

Ridley
    Participant

I’d liked to have seen The Twelve Tasks of Asterix. Especially with A Scanner Darkly and Bugs Bunny/Road Runner in there

I?ve never even heard of My Neighbour Toturo.

Your loss. I prefer Totoro and Howl’s Moving Castle to Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

Would nice if Gilliam did an animated feature…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

My Neighbor Totoro is a beauty.

Andrew
    Participant

I tweeted this, but: Gilliam describes the start of WALL-E as a ‘silent film’ in that piece, thus forcing me to dismiss his opinions outright, Good sound-design is vita; to those scenes; a lack of dialogue isn’t the same as being silent!

Muzzy
    Participant

It’s a good list but is completely out of order IMO

TheLeen
    Participant

I tweeted this, but: Gilliam describes the start of WALL-E as a ?silent film? in that piece, thus forcing me to dismiss his opinions outright, Good sound-design is vita; to those scenes; a lack of dialogue isn?t the same as being silent!

Silent movies always came with a soundtrack though. Live or otherwise. They were never completely silent…

Andrew
    Participant

> Silent movies always came with a soundtrack though. Live or otherwise. They were never completely silent?

A score, yes – it’s why I omitted music from my description – but not a soundtrack. Some Mickey-Mousing on the musical score isn’t the same as a fully developed audio landscape for every sound created on-screen.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.