Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Just watched Spaceballs for the first time

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

Does anyone know where I can get my memory erased on the cheap? Dear Glod, it’s an awful film. I laughed exactly once – at the “We ain’t found shit!” line, which isn’t even that funny.

Blisschick
    Participant

What’s even funnier is that Tuvok (Tim Russ) delivered that line. A cussin’ Vulcan. Who knew?

Sadly, me. Damn those Voyager reruns.

TheLeen
    Participant

The headphones! The headphones are funny!

James
    Participant

Watching it now it looses what it had in it’s day. I thought it was a fun spoof. Have it on dvd.

si
    Participant

“SPACEBALLS!!”
    (Quote from some cheap fan film or other)

I actually really like Spaceballs. It’s no Blazing Saddles, but another Mel Brooks great.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Oh man Spaceballs is ingrained in my memory since i was about 8. I love it!

Jo
    Participant

I love that film! Yes it has aged a bit, but then it is over 20 years old.
    I still enjoy watching it, I’d have been about 7 or 8 when I saw it and that wasn’t long after it came out, maybe it’s one of those you have to have seen when you’re younger to be able to still appreciate it now, I think it was aimed at a younger audience, wasn’t it a PG?

Phil
    Participant

I definitely think Spaceballs is overrated. It’s not nearly as funny as everyone seems to think (IMHO…) and doesn’t deserved to be mentioned in the same sentence with Brooks’ better work.

Dave
    Participant

The musical version will be along shortly

Jo
    Participant

But… Bill Pullman looks so pretty in it it!

From IMDB trivia – Of all the many jokes in this film, Mel Brooks says that the two he is most proud of are the running gag about merchandising (“Spaceballs: the Breakfast Cereal”, “Spaceballs: The Tee-Shirt”, etc.) and Col. Sandurz’s renting “Spaceballs” before it was finished.

:o/ not sure about those being the best jokes in the film though no matter how proud he is of them.

ChrisM
    Participant

[snigger mode]I like the light-sabre nob gags.[/snigger mode]

Not a favourite film of mine, but it’s worth a chuckle in places. “May the schwartz be with you.” Dear me.

Carlito
    Participant

You’re not alone. I didn’t see the appeal of that film at all.

It’s a cracking film. Okay, its not The Long Good Friday, but still worthy of a place in the ole DVD collection.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I just enjoy the lengths that Brooks will go to to make a joke.

The Special Edition has Dink subtitles.

locusceruleus
    Participant

I like it, quite a lot. It’s fun for what it is. Not essential by any means, but a decent way to waste 90 mins.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’d rather smear meat pate on my genitals and then dangle them in a pool of hungry piranha than watch Spaceballs again.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Kinky.

Jo
    Participant

>I?d rather smear meat pate on my genitals and then dangle them in a pool of hungry piranha than watch Spaceballs again.

Well if you’re giving me the choice, then yes I think you’re right. It would be very entertaining to watch you being castrated by a tank of hungry piranha.

Who wants popcorn?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think I first saw Spaceballs when I was a 19 year old, puerile adolescent. It was crap. The only bit that was vaguely amusing was Moranis playing with the toy space figures, acting out his fantasy, and getting caught.

TheLeen
    Participant

I watched in this order: Star Wars IV, V, VI, Spaceballs, Jim Henson monsters special, all on the same Sunday. I have very nostalgic and very blissful memories of this day. So, meh. I don’t even care if Spaceballs sucks or not. The videotape scene IS pretty good though. Some of the other stuff I found hilarious, but I was 14 or 15 at the time, so I would have.

Ridley
    Participant

I still enjoy watching it, I?d have been about 7 or 8 when I saw it and that wasn?t long after it came out, maybe it?s one of those you have to have seen when you?re younger to be able to still appreciate it now…

Seconded.

Men in Tights and Dracula: Dead and Loving It hold up better against aging. In my opinion.

Phil
    Participant

>Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Vastly underrated. I think it’s great.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I love Dracula: Dead and Loving it. Peter MacNicol is awesome in it.

ChrisM
    Participant

“It was only a daymare!”

So silly, yet it cracked me up. Dustpan and brush job…

And the bloodspatter scene, for all it’s humor was actually a bit disturbing.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I love that scene.

Jonathan Harker : “Oh my GOD! There’s so much blood!!”

Van Helsing : “I know, we should have put newspapers down…”

locusceruleus
    Participant

>I love Dracula: Dead and Loving it. Peter MacNicol is awesome in it.

Peter MacNicol is awesome, period. Anyone know what he’s up to lately?

And since we’re on cheesy comedy memories, what do you all think of The Man With Two Brains?

JamesTC
    Participant

I like it though I got it on DVD over a year ago but have never got around to watching it.

Bob Loblaw
    Participant

I thought it was okay, didn’t find Joan Rivers as annoying as I usually do.

si
    Participant

Peter Macnicol’s in Numbers isn’t he?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Yarp.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.