Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum A prediction about The Promised Land

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I predict….

that Talkie Toaster will be in this. Towards the end.

If I’m right, ask me how I worked it out because I will look like a genius. If I’m wrong, let us never speak of this again.

Dave

How did you work it out?

Bowen
    Participant

That Rimmer suicide scene & Cat being converted were unbelievably good

Ben Saunders

>How did you work it out?
    Kryten figured it out.

Naturally, I will commit suicide immediately.

*puts mouth around bazookoid*

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Genuinely interested to hear how you came to that conclusion, though.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Alternate ending: Talkie Toaster makes Lister several rounds of toast. He takes his eyes off them for 2 seconds and the cats appear out of nowhere and start licking them. The crew then use this distraction something something…
    FIN.

Genuinely interested to hear how you came to that conclusion, though.

Hi Ian. Many moons ago, I read some fanfic about the “forever righteous” cat ark turning up. It was what it was: fanfic. But it involved a clever idea that all Cat technology is based on Red Dwarf technology. Because it would be, right? It’s where their brains evolved.

When I saw the four-minute preview material from The Promised Land, the little ship that the cat zealots climb into looked (to me) a lot like the post-remastered Blue Midget. Similar hull shape. So I thought “ah, Doug had that same idea.” The way that the cats dress like Lister added a certain credence to this: their culture as well as their technology might be RD-based.

In the fanfic, if I remember correctly, a Cat inventor claims to have a device that will help the Dwarfers get back to Earth faster. It turns out, much to everyone’s disappointment, to be a Talkie Toaster who will help them to pass the time with chirpy breakfast banter. Haha.

Bit of a leap really, but because the fanfic’s punchline was grounded in the idea that Cat technology evolved from RD technology (and because I thought Doug had had the same idea AND because a return of the toaster had been mooted by Doug at conventions over the years) it seemed actually plausible. EVEN INEVITABLE.

Thought I’d Sherlocked it, didn’t I?

si
    Participant

Shitlocked it.

Correct!

Ridley
    Participant

Oh, in 1976 I did a drawing of a robot and then Star Wars came out. … Who has an umbrella, mate? No-one. Sherlock Holmes has come.

Oh, in 1976 I did a drawing of a robot and then Star Wars came out. … Who has an umbrella, mate? No-one. Sherlock Holmes has come.

Excuse me?

Don’t worry, you’re not the only one. I also had one prediction for the episode, to do with the reason Holly was in it, and it turned out I was wrong.

I’m having fun trying to decipher Ridley’s comment. Is the umbrella thing about it raining CATS and dogs? Ridley should write some lyrics for They Might Be Giants. WHO has an umbrella? WHO. Doctor WHO. Ridley thought the Doctor would turn up? Some sort of intergalactic vet? Did Ridley write the fanfic? I’m deep into this now. Time to pull out and go to sleep. It’s tomorrow now.

Ridley
    Participant

I’ll give it to you straight, like a pear cider that’s made from one hundred percent pears: I don’t own those sentences.

Ohhhhh Stewart Lee! Saw him in Nottingham a few months ago, saying the unsayable. He’s great, I really should look into more of his stuff.

si
    Participant

Ohhhhh Stewart Lee! Saw him in Nottingham a few months ago, saying the unsayable. He’s great, I really should look into more of his stuff.

Do yourself a favour, and buy this and it’s three sequels. You will not regret it.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391711569998

Thanks for the suggestion, although I did see these when they went out on TV. I have the first one on DVD, but this is a good time to get 2-4. Cheers!

I made a tiny fool of myself at the merch table when he was signing DVDs and I gave him mine without realising they were still wrapped in plastic. I should’ve made a bigger fool of myself, really, as it would make a vastly more interesting story.

si
    Participant

I saw him a couple of years ago, and bought a DVD while I was there. Found it really odd that it was in a slipcase. As he signed it, I told him about a Fist of Fun book that I’d won 25 years previously, which had included a postcard on which he’d written, “Buy our stuff next time, cheapskate.” (I’ve still got the book, no idea what happened to the postcard.)

Dave

Love Stewart Lee. I’ve seen him many times and was looking forward to catching him on his current tour. Shame.

His annotated transcripts of his standup sets are wonderful and I’d also recommend his collections of columns, Content Provider and March Of The Lemmings.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.