Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Ackerman goes from Red Dwarf to Blue-Bearded Dwarf

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Not worth a front-page post, but might be of interest to some – Graham “Mr Ackerman” McTavish has been cast as Dwalin in the new Hobbit film.

Sylvester McCoy’s apparently going to be in it as well, but that hasn’t yet been confirmed in this batch of casting news…

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I see he has bought a new glass eye.

As much as I disliked the Ackerman character and thought it out of place in Red Dwarf, I have to say McTavish did well with the material he had.

But this isn’t an opportunity to slag off series 8 :)

ChrisM
    Participant

And Aiden Turner is playing Kili apparently. I’d think he was too pretty to play a dwarf. Surely he’s more suitable to play a human or elf but… I suppose once you’ve slapped a big beard and a helmet on him…

Okay. I’ll buy that.

Rad
    Participant

Not sure about casting. As soon as I heard Richard Armitage I thought ‘He’ll be Bard’. But Thorin… in the programmes I’ve seen him in he hasn’t shown anything of the volume and power of delivery I expect from Thorin. Though obviously I’ve only seen as a shady character in Spooks and a loser who wants to marry an overweight vicar fifteen years his senior in that disappointing Vicar of Dibley finale. Plus, I’m very confident that the filmmakers will get this right, so I’m not worried.

redhead85
    Participant

Oh my gosh, Richard Armitage is GORGEOUS. I saw him when they filmed Spooks in the courtyard outside my office a few months ago. *sigh*

….sorry what were we talking about…?

ChrisM
    Participant

He’s a dwarf. Snigger.

Blisschick
    Participant

>Oh my gosh, Richard Armitage is GORGEOUS.

I second that!!! Third and fourth it, too.

redhead85
    Participant

>Oh my gosh, Richard Armitage is GORGEOUS.

> I second that!!! Third and fourth it, too

You can just picture all of us ladies from the office, noses pressed up against the glass, watching as he filmed two floors below. *sigh* ;-)

Somebody
    Participant

> And Aiden Turner is playing Kili apparently. I’d think he was too pretty to play a dwarf. Surely he’s more suitable to play a human or elf but… I suppose once you’ve slapped a big beard and a helmet on him…

And heavy latex makeup – apparently, they asked John Rhys Davies to come back for the Hobbit to play another dwarf (maybe as Gloin, Gimli’s father) and he told them “not on your life”, since the latex did his face & eyes in on LotR.

Danodin
    Participant

> You can just picture all of us ladies from the office, noses pressed up against the glass, watching as he filmed two floors below. *sigh* ;-)

Women…

Though I bet he couldn’t concentrate on filming through looking up at your fiery gorgeousness…

hummingbird
    Participant

It’s really not the sort of casting that I expected, at all. It’ll be interesting to see how it all turns out.
    Martin Freeman is perfect, though.

redhead85
    Participant

> Women… Though I bet he couldn’t concentrate on filming through looking up at your fiery gorgeousness…

Thanks, I wish! ^__^ He did clock us all at one point and gave us a grinning wave. He totally loves the attention, you can tell.

> Martin Freeman is perfect, though.

Oh most definitely. As soon as you read it, it’s almost as if you knew it was always going to happen. The sign of good casting!

Ridley
    Participant

Ackerman seems to turn up in the strangest places. Like Highlander and Hulk vs Thor.

But what will this Freeman news, if anything, mean for new Sherlock?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Last I heard they were negotiating with the BBC to work out filing for Sherlock and The Hobbit that didn’t interrupt either production. That was a couple of months ago, though.

ChrisM
    Participant

Yes, as far as I’m aware, Freeman will now be doing both. He put Sherlock as priority (and rightly too. I’m looking forward to the Hobbit but it’s good that he sticks to his prior commitments) and I believe they worked out the schedule around that.

Danodin
    Participant

I’m sure they’ll be able to shoot at least one episode of Sherlock before Martin starts on The Hobbit in February. Then it’s a case of finding time to complete the series. I’m sure it’ll work out.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

They’ll be shooting the lot, if what I hear is accurate.

Somebody
    Participant

From Mark Gatiss’ Twit-thing:

http://twitter.com/Markgatiss/status/28420411212
    Huge congratulations to the brilliant Martin Freeman on becoming Bilbo Baggins! No change to #Sherlock schedule, I’m glad to say.

hummingbird
    Participant

If they move filming to the UK, as they’ve been threatening to, it would certainly help in that respect. Otherwise Freeman’s going to be racking up a hell of a lot of air miles.

Fluffy Wok
    Participant

> Ackerman seems to turn up in the strangest places. Like Highlander and Hulk vs Thor.

Yeah, only got round to watching Rambo (4) the other day, he’s in that too. Crazyness

Yeah, much better than the first person I thought it was going to be that had me shouting “Travesty! He can’t be Bilbo, he’s God!” It turned out I had misheard the missus and Morgan Freeman wasn’t going to be the new Bilbo. It would have been a bit weird having to explain how when he turns Eleventy One he becomes white….

redhead85
    Participant

> Yeah, much better than the first person I thought it was going to be that had me shouting “Travesty! He can’t be Bilbo, he’s God!” It turned out I had misheard the missus and Morgan Freeman wasn’t going to be the new Bilbo. It would have been a bit weird having to explain how when he turns Eleventy One he becomes white….

*rolls eyes* That’s cos you is deaf, love. :-P

Danodin
    Participant

Though we now know the Doctor can officially, canonically become black, thanks to Clyde (courtesy of RTD…) asking him! Clyde saying ‘my hand’s…not white’ made me laugh too.

I like how RTD did more for Who canon in two 25 minute CBBC episodes than Moffat did in the whole of series 5! The Ian and Barbara line gave me chills… If they ever wanted a replacement for SJA they have it right there with those two, or maybe even Jo, who it was great to see. And Matt…for a split second he seemed to channel Pertwee in the scene with Jo, I’m not sure exactly what he did or whether I was just thinking of The Green Death.

Er, The Hobbit and stuff… Oh, it’s definitely being shot in New Zealand!! Fiiiinally they can get the heck on with it. Richard Armitage will make a fine Thorin IMO despite not being an obvious candidate for the Dwarf leader. He has a certain ‘heavy’ nature to his voice that will lend itself to rousing the Dwarves in battle. Seeing 13 Dwarves kick orc ass is going to be something to behold!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I like how RTD did more for Who canon in two 25 minute CBBC episodes than Moffat did in the whole of series 5!

Is that what we’re placing value on, now? “Contributions to existing canon” over storytelling?

Danodin
    Participant

Yes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.