Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum "average Joe/Jane"complaints about RD?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    By Jove its holmes
    Participant

I seem to recall that one mother was horrified that she had to explain to her young daughter what a clitoris was after they watched “Polymorph”, but are there any other interesting complaints that non-fans made?

si
    Participant

Maybe the cunnilingus line in series VIII (I forget which episode)?

(deleted)
    Participant

As a kid watching Six Of The Best for the first time on the downstairs TV, my dad gasped in admonishment at “C.L.I.T.O.R.I.S.” and “twat”. The latter especially ironic as he is one.

It makes me laugh that while Marooned was classified too highly originally and had to be brought down nefariously in 2003, there’s no way in hell that Polymorph would make a PG now. In the UK, The Goonies jumped to a 12 for DVD, because the PG VHS had been a slightly trimmed version in order to stop it coming out as a 15. The “12” classification was a long, long time coming, wasn’t it?

I saw The Goonies again recently (as it came free with the cheapest way to buy the two Gremlins films on Bluray). It is a horrible piece of shit. And decidedly less suitable for kids than Polymorph.

si
    Participant

I saw The Goonies again recently […] It is a horrible piece of shit.

The amount of friends you’ve just lost with that comment…

(deleted)
    Participant

I admire its ambition – an adventure film for working class kids – and its cast, its production design, all the rest, and am genuinely a big Spielberg fan, a fan of video-age Hollywood and a big fan of older ‘family’ films in general. But I just can’t get past Sloth. There is zero excusing or getting round what that character is. It’s a bit of a scuzzy, seedy script that punches down generally, but that character pretty much embodies everything wrong with it. I know it tries to have its cake and eat it with his Boo Radley-style reveal/redemption, but there’s more blood on its hands than is washed away by that. It’s rare that I would actively think ‘I wouldn’t want my child seeing that’ about much at all, but I can’t deny that Goonies has gone on a vague blacklist in the back of my head.

You’re reading Gooniemede & Titan.

By Jove its holmes
    Participant

ostrich parents are the worst. There’s a lot of complaints about fathers who try to restrict their daughters sex ed and their growing up but little talk of how a lot of mothers do it to.

Lilly Queen
    Participant

When I was eight, my father saw Marooned and was very unhappy that my mum was allowing me to watch the show. I think it was probably the golf course bit.

You couldn’t write the joke about Lister losing his virginity before 16 now, even if it was a tall-tale.

In fact, there’s an article – Top Ten jokes that nowadays would have Doug Naylor & Rob Grant fucking chased out of BBC Manchester for.

I first watched Red Dwarf when I was eight, too. I recall the first scene I watched: Rimmer being oiled in Terrorform. My parents have never had an issue, mind. My dad’s a huge fan.

Lilly Queen
    Participant

Rimmerworld? “What the hell, I just wouldn’t tell her.” Would that qualify?

JamesTC
    Participant

I don’t think I was old enough when I first watched Red Dwarf either. The bit in Backwards when Cat reverse takes a shit would make me run behind the back of the sofa like a person on a talking heads documentary about Doctor Who.

28 years old I was… ah.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.