Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Doctor Dwarf

Viewing 55 posts - 1 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Three things from Day of the Moon…

1) The Doctor buggering about with Apollo 11 – there’s a few bits left over, but it’s always the same when you do a bit of DIY.

2) The photo of Amy with a baby in the orphanage. I don’t know, but it’s going to be a lot of fun finding out.

3) The eyepatch woman behind the fake hatch is played by Frances Barber, aka Genny Mutant.

si
    Participant

There’s a (P)siren in next week’s episode.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>The eyepatch woman behind the fake hatch is played by Frances Barber

Is this actually true? Awesome.

ChrisM
    Participant

>The eyepatch woman behind the fake hatch is played by Frances Barber

Is this actually true? Awesome.

Indeed! I thought she looked familiar…

Jonsmad
    Participant

The future doctor dieing is like Future Echoes in reverse. Seeing a future death and then NOT telling immediately.

Ridley
    Participant

Genny Who?

si
    Participant

I was thinking about this thread last night. Not my usual subject for wet dreams, but still.

I was thinking about assorted Who/Dwarf connections. Has someone already written an article on such matters? ‘Cause if not, I was thinking of writing something myself later – shared cast/crew members, similar storylines/dialogue etc.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Not an article, but there are plenty of examples tagged thusly: http://www.ganymede.tv/doctor-dwarf/

si
    Participant

Oh well. I’ll write something anyway, and post a link when it gets writ.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

As long as it’s not on sodding Twitlonger.

si
    Participant

Oh darn… No, I’ve got a blog somewhere, I’ll put it on there. It’s not been written yet, mind.

si
    Participant

Got my books out. RD Programme Guide, DW Terrestrial Index, DW Book Of Lists, assorted DW episode guides, plus DWM Series Guides for ‘NuWho’ details.

Interesting things so far – there was a Paul Alexander in The Mind Robber in 1968 (I’m pretty sure it’s not the same one), and assorted Who stories have featured appearances from Shane Rimmer, Penny Lister and Derek Smee.

I’ll be back later…

Jonsmad
    Participant

The Post Pod’s Arrived.

pfm
    Participant

I’m sorry but Matt’s performance in that clip is fairly appalling…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

He’s exactly like he always is!

Nick R
    Participant

BBC4 have been showing The Hand of Fear the last couple of days as a tribute to Elisabeth Sladen. I noticed it happens to feature this model shot (screengrab found via this site):

http://drwhotht04.my3gb.com/4n-c/d4-4n-c078.jpg

That dome looked familiar to me…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As5eQ58stG4#t=4m41s

For a moment I thought that the Quarantine model was an altered reuse of the one from Dr Who. But now I’ve made that side-by-side comparison, I doubt it. After all, in science fiction the geodesic dome is a fairly common design for bases on moons and planets.

But if not that one, were any other models shared between Who and Dwarf, in the same way that Rimmer’s badge was reused from HHGTTG?

Not an article, but there are plenty of examples tagged thusly: http://www.ganymede.tv/doctor-dwarf/

There’s also this: http://www.ganymede.tv/indepth/now-you-see-it

By the way, G&T’s In Depth/Features index page has somehow become slightly messed up: everything below “The Debate: Series VIII’s Setting” appears in bold!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I blame Seb. Fixed! Thanks for flagging it.

I see nothing wrong with MS’s performance in this clip.

pfm
    Participant

It’s just the ‘I’ve got mail!’ line…I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting tired of his performance…. He’s definitely playing it ‘zany’ this year, moreso than in series 5.

si
    Participant

Re the Who/Dwarf Comparisons piece I was planning to write – If anyone’s in any way interested, I will do it sometime. I started researching it, but there’s a lot to do. I may as well wait til the end of this series before I write it all up.
    If, however, you’re not interested – well, you’re not missing anything, are you?

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I don’t envy you the task of researching it all…..as you say, theres a lot to do!

And you just know that when it’s finished, it’ll be criticised for missing this connection or that link. I look forward to it :)

Jonsmad
    Participant

The ouroborous symbol. Add that to the list.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

And the post pods.

And the unreality bubbles/House.

Could I convince anyone that the TARDIS becoming human is anything like Kryten becoming human, or am I just a fool?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

White Hole was also in there.

hummingbird
    Participant

> There’s a (P)siren in next week’s episode.

> The ouroborous symbol. Add that to the list.

Just pointing out that both of these ideas pre-date both RD and DW by quite a bit, actually.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Gosh, really?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

CANCEL DOCTOR DWARF IMMEDIATELY.

hummingbird
    Participant

:P

Jonsmad
    Participant

Both doctors and dwarfs were around long before doctor who or red dwarf of course.

Though the Doctor isn’t really that sort of Doctor, and Red Dwarf isn’t really a dwarf.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

We really don’t want to upset the dwarves, they’re big business here in Hollywood.

Dave
    Participant

>Just pointing out that both of these ideas pre-date both RD and DW by quite a bit, actually.

Filthy Rich and Catflap?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Ee by by gum, chuck pal love sir.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’ll sit at t’bottom o’t stairs and eat a barmcake. By ‘eck.

Jonsmad
    Participant

The Flesh Doctor: Gosh, I was just going to think that!
    The Original Doctor: Were you, really? That’s incredible! What a lovely story!

pfm
    Participant

Hated the first part, loved the second…

Matthew Graham really is schizo! Hope his (rumoured) Star Wars live action series script(s) is up to scratch, if/when it ever gets made!!

The ending was as clear and concise a payoff to Amy’s pregnancy/non-pregnancy that we could ever have hoped for. There was something oddly satisfying about seeing her melt… Also, surely a merchandise op right there for ‘Flesh Amy’?? I’ll leave you to ponder that one………:P

hummingbird
    Participant

What I can’t figure out is why did he kill GangerAmy when he’d been so keen to save the other gangers?
    Seems a little inconsistent, if not hypocritical.

ChrisM
    Participant

What I can’t figure out is why did he kill GangerAmy when he’d been so keen to save the other gangers?
    Seems a little inconsistent, if not hypocritical.

Yeah. I thought that too. I guess one could argue that ganger Amy is purely a puppet for the human version’s consciousness, unlike the others that had been made autonomous by the sun-tsunami-thing. Trouble is, there was a strong suggestion in this latest episode that the original Flesh feels pain as well. The human puppet masters are unaware of it (or they turn a blind eye), since they’re pain receptors are disconnected at the point of destruction. The Flesh is no longer them at that point, but it feels. There was that big dollop that Rory and the girl (I forget her name) found. It was still alive… and Rory’s ‘friend’ stated that she remembered every time her form was melted, which means her memory goes back before the sun-storm. (I guess that explains why she went crazier than the other gangers too.)

I guess it could be argued that ‘ganger-Amy’ was created from a later adaptation of the Flesh technology, Flesh that could not feel by itself, but that was never explained. Moral issues aside, it would make sense to me to keep ganger Amy around. Surely they would be able to track the signal to source better, rather than breaking the connection, like that! The Tardis could have recorded the source by then, but they don’t know that human Amy wouldn’t be moved later.

Seemed they were going more for emotionalism and drama rather than logic. (And to be fair, the ‘sploosh’ was very dramatic.)

That being said, I liked the episode, and I loved the twist.

ChrisM
    Participant

I wonder at what point Amy was swapped? I assumed it was when Amy was abducted in the earlier episode, but someone remarked on another website, that her first sight of the eye-patch lady was before then! How long has she been away?

EDIT- “in above post ‘they’re pain receptors’ obviously should be ‘their pain receptors’. I was going to edit it, but then I realised these posts would be out of order.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Wrong thread, guys.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Also, he didn’t kill the Amy Ganger. He severed the psychic link between Amy and it, so it reverted to the Flesh’s inert state. What happened wasn’t the same as when sentient gangers were destroyed, it’s what happened whenever people “switched off” out of their harnesses in normal everyday use.

Gwynnie
    Participant

I definitely had Me2 flashbacks when there were two Doctors.

Fluffy Wok
    Participant

Also, by destroying the ganger and its psychic link it stops whoever set up the situation from using it to track the movements of the Doctor.

On topic – Just rewatched “Gridlock” – New New York (Futurama reference there?) is wiped out by the new designer drug – Bliss. It’s not specified that it’s so addictive that they got hooked by looking at it but as every skellington has a patch in that Senate it might as well be

Fluffy Wok
    Participant

Bliss is of course also in Batman, Aeon Flux and various other sci fi works as described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_medicines_and_drugs

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Could we mention Bodysnatcher alongside Me2, just to give me something to do?

Gwynnie
    Participant

Well, these ones are a bit of a stretch, but…. weird time-crossing-parentage (I almost expected to find out that Amy was her own mother, and that she had regenerated into River, but there were no such Ouroborous style storylines)… Amy and baby Melody bursting into white plastic/wax stuff reminded me of Waxworld droids…

si
    Participant
    si
    Participant

My sister pointed out last night that the girl who stars in this year’s Doctor Who christmas special, The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe, is Holly Earl, who played the Young Kochanski in ‘Pete pt 1’. I *knew* I recognised the name…

si
    Participant

CultBox have done an interview with Doctor Who guest star Holly Earl, who was, of course, in ‘Pete, part one’ all those years ago.
    The full interview can be found at http://www.cultbox.co.uk/interviews/exclusives/2657-holly-earl-doctor-who-the-doctor-the-widow-and-the-wardrobe-interview although the bit we’re all interested in can be found below…

Do you remember much about playing the young Kochanski in Red Dwarf back in 1999?

“Yes, I do, you’ve done your research! I was about 7, I remember being very amazed being on a sci-fi set.

“I didn’t realise when I was that young quite how big the show was. I remember being fascinated by the guy with the odd shaped head!”

Jonsmad
    Participant

“I remember being fascinated by the guy with the odd shaped head!”

Seems even 7 year olds find Norman strange.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Seems even 7 year olds find Norman strange.

Magnificent!

Carlito
    Participant

Zing.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Justed watched bill bailey in preview clip 3 for The Doctor the widow and the wardrobe.
    I think his teams psy-scan is a budget model and his team a bit mickey mouse.

Viewing 55 posts - 1 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.