Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Game of Thrones – Season 3

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Ridley
    Participant

(although I might be wrong)

You’re not. “If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention.” ;)

It affected me more than I thought it would, knowing what I know. Had it spoiled in the book when I was a few chapters away thanks to a YouTube comment, and I didn’t particularly like Robb, Ned-Lite that he was.

Oh Rickon, you’re here. Well off you go then.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Sorry I totally missed the gist of your earlier post, Ridley. :) I haven’t been paying attention to fan reactions other than what I read on here.

> Oh Rickon, you’re here. Well off you go then.

So true! lol

> Speaking of plots from this episode that shouldn’t be forgotten: Arya and The Hound. The only thing better than the way Arya’s development has been written is how awesome Maisy Williams is.

Maisie is amazing. I loved it when the Hound told her she was too nice and it would get her killed one day, then the old guy woke up and she knocked him out again.

Something struck me as odd about her last scenes (Hound loses Arya/Arya sees a guy kill Grey Wind/Hound finds Arya). Maybe it was the editing. It all seemed quite rushed, and I don’t quite understand if she ever really escaped, or if she knew the Hound would find her again and just wanted to go see what was going on.

Ridley
    Participant

Nice change of pace to get a kinda happy ending and closing music just as epic as season one.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Sweeping panorama shots of Dany’s army rule – both as episode endings, and just in general.

Yes, the closing music was brilliant and suitably awe-inspiring to match the scene. Ramin Djawadi’s score really makes the show special. The use of melodies, notably the Lannister song, as motifs to help move the story along, is a vey effective trick.

Equally notable is the absence of music. Last week, after the Red Wedding, the end credits played to absolute silence, which added to the feeling of utter shock I think. I believe they did the same thing after Ned Stark’s death, but have to double check that to be sure.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Sweeping panorama shots of Dany’s army rule – both as episode endings, and just in general.

They’ve done a *much* better job of communicating the scale of the army this year than they did with the Dothraki Hoard in season 1. It really helps with communication just how strong she is at the moment.

I thought the show;s done a great job of seeding certain themes throughout the season, especially the Rains of Castamere, which has been in pretty much every episode since Blackwater, leading up to the Red Wedding.

pfm
    Participant

How can you talk about the Red Wedding when the real union just happened on BOTS?? *is scarred* :P

Back on topic…what an awesome season it truly was! I’m a big fan of the decisions David and Dan are making with the adaptation. Obviously they’re being godfathered by GRRM, so people shouldn’t be too worried about x character not appearing etc. Season 4 onwards is going to be mossst interesting as we see them bringing in events from FFC and DWD, as well as finishing off SoS. At some point it’s gonna improve on the books, methinks. It’s fully possible to fit the events of 300 pages of DWD into a single episode, right? ;)

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

How can you talk about the Red Wedding when the real union just happened on BOTS?? *is scarred* :P

I genuinely don’t know which is more disturbing.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

In case anyone’s interested, I’ve just started co-hosting a Game of Thrones podcast. It’s called Dark Wings Dark Words and I believe it to be quite good.

XML: http://feeds.feedburner.com/dwdwpodcast
    iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/dark-wings-dark-words-song/id670735164?mt=2

HelloMabel
    Participant

Very nice of you/them to indicate where the book spoilers start.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Yeah, although listening back we’re not *entirely* careful enough to not drop a few little ones in the main bit.

HelloMabel
    Participant

This podcast is extraordinarily well done. Go listen now.

Ridley
    Participant

Listening in half hour chunks so there.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Points from the podcast:

1. The show not making it very clear that Jon never betrayed or intended to betray the Night’s Watch: that was true for me. I was *pretty* sure of it, but certainly had my moments of doubt.

2. Talisa being basically invented in order to be slaughtered: Maybe you’re right that that’s why she was invented, but in practice she contributed much more than that. Robb and Talisa’s early conversations about the cost of the war, and his falling in love with her and eventually choosing love over duty, both added depth to his character. I was remembering Robb telling Bran to not look away from the execution of the deserter in the beginning of season 1, and Talisa called that back by forcing Robb not to look away from the war casualties.

3. The viewers expecting the Starks to make a comeback because of their last appeal to Walder Frey: yes, growing up on a diet of Hollywood endings, I was absolutely taken in, and I’m sure that’s also exactly what the producers wanted for numerous reasons, of which I’ll just point out two. First, going all the way back to season 1, they put Ned Stark on the cover of the DVD and also reissued the first novel with him on the cover. Because of that, even after he was killed, I thought, “The Starks are the ones we’re supposed to root for, so they’ll eventually win.”

Another contributing factor is the fact that in the opening titles, the violins join in playing the main theme just as Winterfell is shown. The violins in an orchestra often represent the hero. Even when they changed the order in which the houses were shown, they always lined up Winterfell with the violin entrance when they could easily have used that moment to highlight a different house. Now that I’m thinking about it, they may finally have done that this season, but Winterfell was highlighted enough (I’m pretty sure it was at least the twenty episodes of season 1 and 2) that it was certainly intended to have an unconscious impact on the viewer, and it did on me.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

1. The show not making it very clear that Jon never betrayed or intended to betray the Night’s Watch: that was true for me. I was *pretty* sure of it, but certainly had my moments of doubt.

Yeah, I think it’s the main reason Jon’s story has been a little off, because he’s such a taciturn character they lose a lot of his motivations because we can’t get inside his head. I definitely think things will get much better for him from now on, though.

2. Talisa being basically invented in order to be slaughtered: Maybe you’re right that that’s why she was invented, but in practice she contributed much more than that. Robb and Talisa’s early conversations about the cost of the war, and his falling in love with her and eventually choosing love over duty, both added depth to his character. I was remembering Robb telling Bran to not look away from the execution of the deserter in the beginning of season 1, and Talisa called that back by forcing Robb not to look away from the war casualties.

Very true, actually. Robb is never a POV character in the books, and we experience him only through Cat’s eyes. Since Cat has been very much marginalised and simplified in the TV show (something I’ll never be happy about, but it’s too late now) Talisa definitely filled some of that role so we could see more of Robb. Not a fan of that storyline in general, really, but they definitely ended well (in a horrific sort of way).

3. The viewers expecting the Starks to make a comeback because of their last appeal to Walder Frey: yes, growing up on a diet of Hollywood endings, I was absolutely taken in, and I’m sure that’s also exactly what the producers wanted for numerous reasons, of which I’ll just point out two. First, going all the way back to season 1, they put Ned Stark on the cover of the DVD and also reissued the first novel with him on the cover. Because of that, even after he was killed, I thought, “The Starks are the ones we’re supposed to root for, so they’ll eventually win.”

I’m still delighted that I managed to be surprised by the TV show chopping Ned’s head off. One of the most effective surprises I’ve ever seen. The whole series seems to be structured like that, with various plot beats going the opposite way to what you’d expect, but it’s only with the really big events that you notice it. It’s so refreshing to genuinely worry for the lives of every single character, no matter how important.

Another contributing factor is the fact that in the opening titles, the violins join in playing the main theme just as Winterfell is shown. The violins in an orchestra often represent the hero. Even when they changed the order in which the houses were shown, they always lined up Winterfell with the violin entrance when they could easily have used that moment to highlight a different house. Now that I’m thinking about it, they may finally have done that this season, but Winterfell was highlighted enough (I’m pretty sure it was at least the twenty episodes of season 1 and 2) that it was certainly intended to have an unconscious impact on the viewer, and it did on me.

This is really, really interesting, I’d never spotted that before. Thinking about it, I’ve always taken that section of the music to be slightly melancholy, especially from the end of season 1 onwards, but that’s probably because I now associate it with the fate of the Starks.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Currently enjoying DWDW 2 about Robert’s Rebellion.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Hurrah!

Also, Mark Gatiss has been cast in season 4!

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.