Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Goodbye To Love

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

Good evening one and all. (I’m afraid I’m re-posting this from the RD site Forum because, well, I couldn’t think of another clever way to write it.)

After eight years – since April of 2000, in fact – I’m leaving Grant Naylor.

It’s a weird thing, to give your notice to the home of Red Dwarf. I’ve had an absolute blast with GNP, and especially with the website and DVDs, but I’m moving on. A bit.

The good news is that I’ll be sticking with the website for a little while yet, keeping the updates coming as GNP moves towards…well, something exciting, hopefully. (If it happens, I’ll probably come running back.)

But I’ll no longer be part of the regular office. No longer involved with cover designs (the new talking book artwork will be my last) or calendars, no longer dealing with approvals, and no longer stealing Helen’s biscuits from the jar.

So when you see a magazine using the wrong series photo to accompany their interview, it’ll no longer be down to me. When you don’t like the layout of something, it won’t be my fault. For that alone, it’s a relief!

I’m hoping 2008 will be a good year for me. I’m going out to write and consult full time – we’ll see whether I can make a living at it – and I can’t wait to get started.

If anyone’s interested, you’ll be able to keep an eye on me via my hastily-constructed website: http://www.andrewellard.com (I hope it’ll improve when I get some free time, but the typo ratio will likely shoot waaaay up.)

Well, I hate long goodbyes (not that it’s much of a goodbye, I’ll still be here!). Perhaps next time you’ve got the dosh together to go down the disco, you’ll raise a glass to your old mate Andrew, and think “Things weren’t too bad when he was around. Perhaps not the most efficient DVD producer ever invented, but we had a giggle”.

Or something.

Ridley
    Participant

Script Consultant
    Red Dwarf: The Movie (Red Dwarf Films)

Conf:Stars of Red Dwarf

Are we talking jape of the decade? :P

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Sorry to see you go, Andrew. One of the great strengths of GNP has been in maintaining links with the fans, and by having a fan of such long-standing (note: this is me calling you old) right on the front line, it’s made all the difference. I think I speak for most of us here when I say just how aware we are that the brilliance of the Dwarf DVDs is more down to you than anyone else (well, you know, when you exclude that whole “actual episodes themselves” thing). That said, I’m not sure if Geek Chase wasn’t in fact the best thing you’ve done in those eight years…

But, of course, while it’s a shame to see you leave, it’s all EXCITING and stuff with the hopeful progression of your career… looking forward to seeing how that all turns out.

Also : get an RSS feed on your blog, won’t you?

Also also : it’s already strange seeing posts on rd.co.uk under your real name and without the URL in the signature…

Phil
    Participant

>GNP moves towards?well, something exciting, hopefully. (If it happens, I?ll probably come running back.)

Even in your farewell you can’t resist toying with us. Grrr.

Serious question, though: when you finally do leave the website duties behind, are GNP still planning to hire someone to handle weekly updates? Not that I’d be applying for the job or anything…I’m just curious if they’ve taken any of that into account.

TheLeen
    Participant

Wow, … news… of some kind.

Dude, I can’t wait to see some of the stuff you’ve written so far. So just remember to stick around here and let us know what to watch. And other obscene comments.

Love ya :-* (in a way)

John Hoare
    Participant

It’s no exaggeration to say that it’s Andrew’s work at GNP that got me *properly* back into Red Dwarf fandom in 2003. With crappy DVDs and a website, I simply wouldn’t have bothered – and I certainly wouldn’t have stayed as long as I have. And it’s been such a big part of my life.

Good luck with everything!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

:-(

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Yes, I echo everything that’s been said so far. Thanks for absolutely everything you’ve put into the world of Dwarf and the countless opportunities and support you afforded The White Hole and here at G&T.

Good luck with your new career!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Everyone’s said everything I want to say. Bugger. So let me just say thank you so much for re-igniting serious amounts of Dwarfy-ness for me, and it goes without saying, everyone else. The place just won’t be the same without you.

Good luck with everything!

Don’t be a stranger, Andrew. Drop in any time. ANY TIME!

PS. You’re still gonna make an appearance at DJ though, right?

Andrew
    Participant

Thanks peeps. Man this is going to be weird…

> Also : get an RSS feed on your blog, won?t you?

As soon as I find the button that does that!

> are GNP still planning to hire someone to handle weekly updates?

I’ll let you know when my contract runs out.

> Love ya :-* (in a way)

Who showed Marleen their Alan Partridge vids?

> You?re still gonna make an appearance at DJ though, right?

I wouldn’t miss it. Most likely it’ll be my first non-working DJ since 1998.

pfm
    Participant

Incredibly-credibly sad news. I went to Asda and they didn’t have a damn copy of GTA4 to give me!

Oh, and teh Ellards leaving GNP is sad too, though if it means we’re gonna get a series out of you that’s definitely something to look forward to. It’s worth noting again how great the DVDs are. Only a true fan and a bloody overall talented and perseverant bloke could have associate produced/directed them so well.

Now…about that exciting thing that may happen in the world of GNP. Any last hints? Oh, and post the movie script, there’s a good chap.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Blimey. Haven’t known you as long as I perhaps would’ve liked to, but even so it’s sad to see you go. Best o’ luck with your career – you’re doing now what I want to be doing… well, now, so in some backwards banner your success is my success. Only it isn’t. Anyway, all the best, etc.

Incidentally that offer of writing an issue of Jump Leads still stands, if you’re interested (and considering exciting developments that might be happening with JL in the near-future, I might even be able to pay you for it too… no promises, though!).

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Sad to see you go, Andrew. The DVDs wouldn’t have been half as good without a strong fan presence behind the driving seat and we’ve been incredibly lucky to have an “inside man” these past few years. Good luck in your new ventures.

Well, I’d try and impart some words of wisdom about your departing, but that would imply that I had wisdom of some kind. I don’t, so maybe it’s just better that I wish you the best of luck. Go, write something good, and get filthy stinking rich off of it.

Andrew
    Participant

> Incidentally that offer of writing an issue of Jump Leads still stands

I had quite forgotten! Drop me a line at the email on my site – could be interestin’.

Turk Thrust
    Participant

Can’t really add much else except to reiterate how excellent the DVDs were and are and that it will be tough for GNP to keep up that standard on any future releases.

Joey TORDFC
    Participant

Congratulations (in a way) Andrew :)

I feel an M People moment coming on…

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

“Sight for Sore Eyes”?

Certainly something off of “Bizarre Fruit”.

*snigger*

Dave
    Participant

Best of luck.

We’re all sad to see you go, but also kind of hoping we don’t notice the difference. Thanks for all your hard work, I hope it stands you in good stead career-wise. Your insights here have been most welcome and long may they continue.

Paul Muller
    Participant

DON’T GO ANDREW, I LOVE YOU!

Tanya Jones
    Participant

What everyone else said, basically. Dwarfers have been lucky to have you working for GNP, and well done for having the courage to branch out on your own.

Andrew
    Participant

> That said, I?m not sure if Geek Chase wasn?t in fact the best thing you?ve done in those eight years?

Well, if you go by volume of good reviews…Geek Chase never got one!

Go on. Call it a leaving present. :-)

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Most likely it?ll be my first non-working DJ since 1998.

Hey, does that mean you’ll have to PAY?

>Go on. Call it a leaving present. :-)

Oh, alright then. But I might email you for some codes once I get up to the “Sam” bit – I’m not staying up until 3am or whatever it was again!

Andrew
    Participant

> > Hey, does that mean you?ll have to PAY?

Yep. No more hotel rooms on the GNP ticket.

You’ll find me outside. On the street. In a bag.

> But I might email you for some codes once I get up to the ?Sam? bit – I?m not staying up until 3am or whatever it was again!

Evil ain’t it? :-)

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

What’s geek chase?

Dave
    Participant

Kiss chase meets trivial pursuits

Dave
    Participant
    Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Andrew,

I’m saddened to hear that news, you’ve been a great ‘inside man’ for years and you’ve done a terrific job with the DVD’s, and have re-ignited my interest in the show. But it’s great to hear that you’re striking out on your own, and I wish you the best of luck!

Don’t lose touch!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> you?ve been a great ?inside man? for years

INHICTB.

Steve Harris
    Participant

Having already posted my comments re the excellent job Andrew has done for us fans on the webboard my thoughts are beginning to drift towards the next ‘few’ months.

Given that Andrew has provided just about every written word on TOS for the last 8 years (apart from all his merchandise envolvement etc), I have to wonder what happens when his ties are cut altogether. ‘Moving towards something exciting’ provides hope at least of course, but for the first time in 8 years, I’m starting to have doubts as to whether the end’s in sight for the franchise or at least its full time presence.

Perhaps they will employ someone else or the mantle will be continued by internal means, time will tell. I hate to be negative, but unless the ‘exciting something’ happens fairly soon, I can see everything drifting away.

With no DJ (clearly down to poor turn out recently), no sign of the magazine as yet and the end of the DVD run, things aint too bright.

Fingers crossed there’s something big in the pipeline to shake things up.

Watch this space

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Don’t worry, Steve – at least we’ll still be here talking shite for years to come…

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

> you?ve been a great ?inside man? for years

If rumours are to be believed… :-)

Leelu
    Participant

I’ve already posted my best wishes for you over at TOS webboard, Andrew, so what everyone’s said here basically. :) By the way, I hope you have the option to put a link to your own website on the TOS links pages?

After reading Steve’s comments above, I’m now also wondering somewhat more about the future…

peas_and_corn
    Participant

Hey, some bastard’s already gone and made the website all white! :P

Sad to see you leave, but it’s good to see you having a go at what you want to do :)

James
    Participant

Yeah but he’s not going, going is he? It’s not like going is going to screw your life up like it did in the olden days.

Your leaving?

Does that mean we get to shoot you off in a pod to that planet with all the other Andrew’s?

I’ve aldeady said by mail, but go, just go (sniff) But I’m keeping the Helen :P

peas_and_corn
    Participant

He’s going to South Africa to get involved in the diamond mining business to secure funding for the Red Dwarf movie.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

I take my eye off the site for a week…

Andrew, it’s fair to say that, like many others, you’ve kept me interested in Dwarf for the last few years. You’ve done an absolutely fantastic job, and I hope you go on to excite me with your new projects.

All the good quotes have gone now. Damn. And I didn’t see the “No” in the poll on the front page until after I’d voted.

si
    Participant

Ciao matey. I’ll second, third and fourth everything else that the others have all said.

Jonsmad
    Participant

What? No! You Can’t! Leave GNP?

But now The Movie: Yeah, No, Yeah, No will seem all dated.

:-(

Paul Muller
    Participant
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.