Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Google guide to the galaxy

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jonsmad
    Participant

Enjoying the google picture today, for Douglas Adams 61st birthday, the silent hitchhikers guide graphics onboard the heart of gold. http://www.google.co.uk

HelloMabel
    Participant

Aw, I didn’t see this thread in time. :(

Blisschick
    Participant

It wasn’t very interactive, but it was nice to see it. It made me think about reading the series again this summer, when I’m out from college. I haven’t read it in years.

Jonsmad
    Participant

>Aw, I didn’t see this thread in time. :(

Ah but hellomabel. In both Hitchhikers and Red Dwarf. Time is a relative. So…

http://www.google.com/doodles/douglas-adams-61st-birthday

Blisschick
    Participant

Thanks, Jon, for posting that. Reading it, I forgot all about listening to the radio show. NPR here played it, and I tuned into it and the Star Wars radio show weekly. I think I was the only nerdy kid in my podunk little country town that had any appreciation for them.

MANI506
    Participant

Finally got around to reading The Salmon Of Doubt and Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency. Completely wonderful. Re read them both several times.

Also all five radio series are brilliant.

a. It’s a shame that the movie he spent so long trying to make turned out to be mostly mediocre and b. is it worth reading And Another Thing?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

a) Yep, especially as I recently heard that the rights issues involved in the movie mean that the BBC can’t currently repeat the original radio or TV series.

b) It’s worth tracking down every single copy in existence, burning them, pissing on the ashes, then force-feeding a lump of the resultant mush to the author, the publishers, and absolutely everyone involved in the project, once every hour until they all sincerely and profusely apologise.

si
    Participant

Not a fan, Ian? I have a copy of And Another Thing. Read it the once, and promptly forgot about it. I feel slightly guilty for allowing it to share shelf space with Douglas’s original series.

MANI506
    Participant

I see that Simon Jones has done an audio version of it. Hmm, I think I’ll wait until I’ve read The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul before I investigate further.

All the reviews on Amazon I’ve seen have been so so to poor.

si
    Participant

Simon Jones had a cameo in the movie, he didn’t make *that* any better.

MANI506
    Participant

Good point, well made.

I haven’t read And Another Thing, but I’m glad that Mostly Harmless’ ending isn’t the official last word anyway. Was far too bleak for my liking.

clem
    Participant

I can’t remember a great deal about what happens in And Another Thing but the ending isn’t particularly happy IIRC. Anyway, yes it’s shit. My copy went to the charity shop.

Phil
    Participant

_Was far too bleak for my liking._

It was exactly bleak enough for mine. B-)

Jonsmad
    Participant

b) It’s worth tracking down every single copy in existence, burning them, pissing on the ashes, then force-feeding a lump of the resultant mush to the author, the publishers, and absolutely everyone involved in the project, once every hour until they all sincerely and profusely apologise.

And then recycling them as firelighters.

When the book first came out I had a bunch of small stickers made that said “Fan Fiction” and sticking them on the front cover of copies onsale in book shops around London during my travels to gigs, is the only contact ive ever had with the novel.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

When the book first came out I had a bunch of small stickers made that said “Fan Fiction” and sticking them on the front cover of copies onsale in book shops around London during my travels to gigs, is the only contact ive ever had with the novel.

I love you, Jonsmad.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.