Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum has anyone ever eaten a Shami kebab? What are they like?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    tombow
    Participant

I always wanted one after hearing Lister’s love, but I only ever see Shish kebabs. It’s only just occurred to me to google them now.

clem
    Participant

It sounds nice. I want one now too.

From the ‘In popular culture’ section of the Wikipedia article: ‘Although the popular form of the Shami Kebab is a round patty, Dave makes his more like the sausage shape of the Seekh Kebab.’
    I guess it wouldn’t wriggle on the plate or attach itself to Lister’s neck as effectively if it wasn’t sausage-shaped.

tombow
    Participant

i forgot I’m a vegetarian. Linda McCartney heirs or Quorn get on this

Dave
    Participant

Yeah, the kebab in Polymorph has always looked more like a seekh kebab to me (one of my favourites, they’re delicious).

Ben Saunders
    Participant

The kebab in Polymorph always just looked like some sausages and a bit of lettuce to me, I honestly never made the connection that that was supposed to look like a kebab. All these years I thought the Polymorph became a sausage.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’ve had both shami and seekh plenty of times, and they’re both lovely. But yes, what Lister has in the episode is far closer to the latter than the former.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Has anyone ever had a triple fried egg and chilli chutney sandwich? What about banana and crisp sandwichess?

Pot noodle? Dog Food? General food?

What did you have for lunch? I’m hungry.

bloodteller
    Participant

I had a fried egg chilli chutney sandwich once. Can’t say I have tried the others though

I’ve also had sugar puff sandwiches a couple of times-they’re actually quite good, to be honest. You need some sort of lubricant to make sure the puffs don’t just fall out, though

Dave
    Participant

Pot Noodles are ok, as long as you’re not expecting it to taste like real food.

They’re not a patch on Trout à la crème though.

Lily
    Participant

I’ve always rather liked pot noodles.

Also the first time I went on a date in an Indian restaurant I had no idea what to order, so went with a chicken korma, bhindi bahji and tarka dhall as they were the only things I’d heard of.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

I could never empathise with Lister’s distaste for Pot Noodle, and as a child it always sort of confused me in Demons & Angels when they acted as if a tasty Pot Noodle was some kind of miracle. There are lots of tasty Pot Noodles.

tombow
    Participant

I don’t get it either, they’re exactly what Lister would like. It would make more sense if he hated a posh food like cous-cous or organic tofu.

Hamish
    Participant

Not an actual “Pot Noodle” pot noodle, but some fancy Japanese instant ramen I ordered arrived just the other day. We will probably be having it on the weekend.

You can see LGR prepare something similar here:

clem
    Participant

Ordering things in restaurants because I recognised them from TV comedy has gone well both times I’ve done it. I liked gazpacho very much, and I once got steak tartare because of that Mr Bean where he finds inventive ways to get rid of his, and that was really good as well.

Flap Jack
    Participant

I believe that the recipes for Pot Noodle have changed a lot over the years, and in the era of classic Red Dwarf they were much worse. Pot Noodle’s crapness was memetic, kind of like a UK-specific variant of “What’s the deal with airline food?”.

bloodteller
    Participant

> it always sort of confused me in Demons & Angels when they acted as if a tasty Pot Noodle was some kind of miracle

That’s the whole joke though. Lister is recounting all the crazy space adventures he’s had, all the amazing things he’s seen and done, and yet at the top of it all, the most incredible and eye-opening thing he’s experienced in 4 years of space adventuring, is….a rather nice Pot Noodle. Even if you like Pot Noodles, I think the scene still works because of how strongly and passionately they’re reacting to some cup noodles

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I have tried all the things mentioned in this thread, except the dog food. And I was recently reminded that the first time I ever met Cappsy was on stage at Dimension Jump in a competition to eat a bowl of cornflakes with raw onions as quickly as possible, hosted by Lee Cornes.

Hamish
    Participant

In short, we need to contrive a means to make Symes eat dog food.

Lily
    Participant

>I believe that the recipes for Pot Noodle have changed a lot over the years, and in the era of classic Red Dwarf they were much worse.

I’ll attest to the fact the taste has changed dramatically over the years, but in my opinion it’s the other way round. They used to taste great and are awful now. Your 80s pot noodle was packed to the brim with spoonfuls of salt, MSG, artificial colours and flavours and all other types of things that made them amazing. I guess however nostalgia could be making me biased, as they were the “treat” I’d be allowed every Saturday for lunch.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

I’ve always wanted to try the sausage and onion gravy sandwich Lister eats in Timeslides, I discovered onion gravy a few years ago and it’s absolutely delicious.

Thinking about it, when was the first time we saw Lister eat curry on the show? I want to say it’s Waiting for God when he orders the chicken vindaloo for breakfast.

bloodteller
    Participant

Oh yeah, sausage and onion gravy sandwiches are fucking amazing. But then again, most things with onion gravy are.

Onion gravy is excellent.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.