Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Holy Smegging Hell!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Blisschick
    Participant

I saw my very first Smart Car today! Holy shit! Those things are TINY! It was a red rag-top, and the guy looked like he had to have the car painted around him to get in it. If he sneezed, it would all be over.

Q: How in the hell did four grown men, in costume, with the seats removed, fit in the car? Somehow it seems do defy logic, kind of like a clown car.

Mnoooah
    Participant

It’s… a CARDIS.

Thank you. *bows*

Blisschick
    Participant

LMAO!!! You win this year’s Smart Ass Award. The answer was so obvious, I should have thought of that myself.

Mnoooah
    Participant

I am so goddamn proud of myself right now. Although I couldn’t have done it without you.

Blisschick
    Participant

You are so very welcome. You deserve to pat yourself on the back.

Mnoooah
    Participant

Seriously though, we can only conclude that they took off kryten’s legs and reattached them after.

Muzzy
    Participant

Also they mentioned in the Making Of that they took out the seats to make it easier for them to fit in.

Muzzy
    Participant

Damn you already mentioned seats removed. Ignore me >_<

Carlito
    Participant

I’m 6’4″, about 18st (not really fat, pretty big built, wide frame etc) and I used to drive a Smartcar and I found it roomier than most other cars I’ve driven.

Of course, there’s only one of me and four of them, but my point is those who imagine them to be tiny would be surprised. I bloody loved the car too… it was semi-automatic with gear paddles on the steering wheel, and nippy as fuck. Okay, you couldn’t get it much above 90mph but you could get it there rather quickly.

Not so nice to drive on the motorway though. Took it from Bridgend, South Wales to Milton Keynes and back one time… thought I was gonna die. That, or blow away in the wind.

ChrisM
    Participant

It’s difficult to appreciate how small it is on the box. When I went to Berkeley square I was amazed. (Easily fascinated, I guess.) It must have been a pain for Robert in the Kryten get up. (Although that wasn’t as bulky as I’d imagined either.)

Mnoooah
    Participant

To my deep dismay, just thought of that infamous shot of Craig feeding Frankenstien. Wait for it….

EVERYTHING LOOKS BIGGER ON TV.

Blisschick
    Participant

My best friend works in downtown Houston, and she said she sees them on the freeway all the time. I cannot even imagine being in that kind of traffic in something that small with all the trucks, SUV’s, and semis on the road here. Y’know Texans and our mentality for big, gas-guzzling vehichles…

>thought I was gonna die. That, or blow away in the wind.

This.

My husband said that one of his client’s son drives one. They guy said that he loves it, but the only drawback is that now everyone thinks he’s gay for owning one. He said the laugh is on them, because he can go for a couple of weeks without having to fill up again.

Carlito
    Participant

They’re bloody handy when you need to park too.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> I?m 6?4?, about 18st (not really fat, pretty big built, wide frame etc) and I used to drive a Smartcar and I found it roomier than most other cars I?ve driven.

This! I am of the exact same proportions. Never driven one but my brother used to own one and I was often the passenger. Crikey, there is a shiteload of leg room in them. Really surprising.

ChrisM
    Participant

But that’s cos they’re a 2 seater. No imagine pulling the front seats forward to cram in two other blokes…

It’s actually quite a nice looking car though innit? When I told my mate about Carbug he seemed to think Smart cars were pretty awful things. Not sure why. It’s certainly not a small car thing as he has one of those ‘new style’ minis.

hummingbird
    Participant

They’re cute cars. Not sure I’d buy one though, they’re hardly practical.

mick
    Participant

It has also been well documented (and proven practically and dramatically on 5th Gear) that in a crash, although the inner framework survives very well and keeps the passengers outwardly unharmed, the massive deceleration forces cause much more internal damage to the occupants.
    5th Gear’s crash test also concluded that in an average motorway smash all the occupants would be killed where passengers in larger vehicles with big crumple zones would survive.

Anyway, I can’t really comment on vehicle safety, I drive this:

Bethany the 2cv

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Citroen 2CV! I love those things. My Mum had one when I was a kid. Absolutely loved it.

Carlito
    Participant

But I hear the Smartcar frames are really strong so if you have a head-on collision (at normal, non-motorway speeds), you have a good chance of being okay… but as for side on, deary me. There are no frames, all you’ve got are the plastic panels and the doors. Would NOT like to be involved in a side-on impact in a Smart. You’d be deader than flares.

> Not sure I?d buy one though, they?re hardly practical.

Depends on your circumstances. If you need a big car to carry luggage etc, if you’ve got a family or tend to often have more than 2 people in your car, or if you do a lot of motorway travel then they’re not. But if you only use your car to zip about town, then they’re brilliant and very cheap on fuel, and very rarely break down (although tyres are expensive as fuck). So easy to nip into a parking space you wouldn’t even attempt in a normal sized car.

If I had the money to run two cars, I would certainly consider a Smartcar as a “backup” to my main car. Perfect little runarounds.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.