Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum How "Only the Good…" becomes "Every Dog…"

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    srmcd1
    Participant

I took another crack at editing “Only the Good…”, only this time, I’ve called it “Every Dog…”

Alternate ending, deleted scenes, edited opening montage and no Talia. Any questions? Hope you like it.

MANI506
    Participant

Great turd polish as always! The last ten minutes as assembled by srmcd1 is about three million times better than the broadcast version. Which is annoying.

Carlito
    Participant

There are some funny bits in Only The Good to give it its due. The ending sucks and it sucks as a series finale, but the drunken cell scene is very amusing and one of the rare instances of the heightened series VIII big performances adding to rather than detracting from a scene. “You’re gonna crush his rolls?” is a good line. Lister tricking Kryten into launching a celebration of Kochanski’s time of the month is not very Red Dwarf-like but is a fairly amusing prank overwrought by the script. The scar conversation, while a bit contrived, feel very series I-II – not as good but hardly awful either.

The Bad: How did Kryten know about the microbe from the Hermes, let alone recognise it? The Cat in drag – no thanks. The Captain leaving the main characters on RD to die, despite their expertise at surviving in unusual situations in deep space and dealing with previously unknown phenomenon just doesn’t make any sense.

I also like “But I’m your sister!” even if it is followed up by a crap gag.

Jimboid
    Participant

“Packet of three?” is OK.

Squeaky Gibson
    Participant

The one thing which does come to mind about the finale is The Canaries. as Hollister says in the briefing, most of you will be left behind to die. so does that mean once every ones cleared of in the Starbugs and Blue Midgets, are there still Canaries left on board with Rimmer & co, if so what ever happened to them? did they die whilst the ship broke apart whilst Rimmer got whacked by the vending machine.

Carlito
    Participant

Well the Canaries were made up exclusively of prisoners (if I recall correctly), and the prisoners were all left behind to die. It would make sense that they would just be left in the Tank but then the main characters weren’t so it’s not really made clear. Perhaps because they were on parole they weren’t left in the Tank, or maybe as they had managed to escape already they knew how to get out again. Alternatively, all the Canaries were let loose on the ship, and we didn’t see any because it’s a pretty big ol’ ship.

Still, if the Red Dwarf they are on board now in RDX is the same ship following on the same continuity (which appears to be the case but maybe RDX will make that clearer) then it’s a good question…. not only what happened to Hollister and the rest of the crew who escaped but also the prisoners and people left aboard when the ‘important’ people jumped ship. Can’t imagine there’s still an operating prison facility on board or that Lister and co. would leave them there to die.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

What really annoys me is that this ship’s purpose has a massive tangential shift in VIII. It’s not a mining ship anymore, more a ship with a secret FUCKING MASSIVE PENAL COLONY within it. which has another 1/4 number of people previously thought. (if you count Justice’s figure of 1,167, 400 PERCENT more if you count ‘The End’!)

I dunno, it just changed the feel of the show just too much for me.

Carlito
    Participant

You could argue that the Tank wasn’t there before the nano rebuild, but Holly seemed to know about it.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

You could argue that the Tank wasn’t there before the nano rebuild, but Holly seemed to know about it.

Good point, it’s all meant tot he be the original design/charter of the ship. Still don’t like it. Tough titties, though, eh?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yeah, the Red Dwarf of Series 1 gives the impression of a rather dull workplace with people working together and leading rather unexciting lives.

The fact that a bunch of hardened criminals live downstairs changes that somewhat.

Same problem I have with the bloody boosters.

locusceruleus
    Participant

To this day, talking about VIII still makes me as sad, pissed off and confused as I was when the POS first aired. So I’ll just say, the tank…the canaries…Death….it was just a load of old bollocks really, wasn’t it?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Good point, it’s all meant tot he be the original design/charter of the ship. Still don’t like it. Tough titties, though, eh?

I’ve considered this m’self, but it raises the question of where the inmates came from. The Nanobots didn’t just make them, did they? I mean, it’s entirely possible that Holly had them made for the reasons he states in “Back in the Red” (namely, to give Lister stuff to keep him occupied), but he’d still have had to come up with personalities for them. Remember, this is a computer who, seven series prior, told Lister he wanted to build a woman but couldn’t. Obviously the nanobots have come along since then, but still.

Series VIII had a lot of promise, though. The idea of resurrecting the crew is, I think, absolute genius, and there are elements of “Back in the Red” that really work for me. But the whole prison ship thing just feels tonally wrong, like it belongs in an entirely different show. If Red Dwarf was merely transporting the prisoners, why would members of the Red Dwarf crew be sentenced to serve time there? Surely they’d go to a ship-specific Brig, or wind up in stasis.

See, I’m alright with Series VII. VII makes sense. VII works for me. VIII doesn’t, because the premise requires that we conveniently forget or ignore too much. Red Dwarf has always had problems with continuity, but the problems with VIII’s structure go beyond the usual “But he wasn’t dating Kochanski in Series I, what’s going on?!” type stuff.

srmcd1
    Participant

Man, if I’d known posting it here was just going to trigger another one of these conversations, I wouldn’t have bothered.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

This isn’t hate chat though, these are considered opinions, you shouldn’t get annoyed by it

Anything to do with VII or VIII is going to do something similar.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Man, if I’d known posting it here was just going to trigger another one of these conversations, I wouldn’t have bothered.

To be fair, you can’t be that enamored with at least one episode from the series if you’ve cut a bunch of stuff out of it.

srmcd1
    Participant

I never said I was enamored with anything. I just wanted to show everybody what I’d done.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

And it’s very nice. You made something shit less shit.

pfm
    Participant

The Tank and the Canaries WERE good ideas. All of you who think otherwise can…have differing opinions.

srmcd1
    Participant

Awww, you noticed! ;)

Almighty_crj
    Participant

Wouldn’t it have made slightly more sense if they were in charge of the Canaries? You could have used practically all the same gags.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

The drunk scene bugs me because they could have just waited and shown written proof that it was all a setup

Carlito
    Participant

I did think that, but it could have caused serious repurcussions for Kryten if they did that and Lister is no grass. Rimmer, on the other hand…. I’m surprised he didn’t at least suggest it.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

My only problem with the brig is where it is on the ship. It’s all very well saying it’s on a single floor, but that massive tower that is Lister and Rimmer’s cell block is bloody massive and easily a mile tall.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I like it when the crew are in impending mortal danger but still find the time to change out of their prison clothes.

si
    Participant

I like it when the crew are in impending mortal danger but still find the time to change out of their prison clothes.

No, they wear the Canary outfits under the prison overall. Like Superman or Spider-Man.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

But with their civilian clothes underneath that. It gets very cold in that brig.

Connell
    Participant

It’s a known fact continuity errors cause the temperature to drop, but no one knows why.

clem
    Participant

> I did think that, but it could have caused serious repurcussions for Kryten if they did that and Lister is no grass. Rimmer, on the other hand…. I’m surprised he didn’t at least suggest it.

I suppose you could argue they just panicked and didn’t think of that. Characters’ intelligence fluctuating to suit a situation or joke is a bit of a theme in VIII, like how Lister finds a join-the-dots puzzle difficult, and yet knows Morse code or however he’s meant to be communicating with the Skutters by banging on the pipe.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

It’s a known fact continuity errors cause the temperature to drop, but no one knows why.

What a huge plothole.

Moonlight
    Participant

Couldn’t Rimmer and Lister have just showed the guard the note?

…I’ll stay quiet.

clem
    Participant

I think that’s what peas_and_corn meant by “shown written proof that it was all a setup”

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.