Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Howard Goodall on Twitter (and playing Red Dwarf music on his Classic FM show)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Nick R
    Participant

As some of you already know, he’s recently joined in with this microblogging lark.

On my @classicfm scifi music show this Sat I’m playing my @RedDwarfHQ Series 1 Opening theme and the classical piece that inspired it..

Here’s the Classic FM website’s page on his programme.

And also: http://twitter.com/Howard_Goodall/status/180036733675638785

Talking of @RedDwarfHQ I am thinking of making digital remasters of the analogue recordings of the original themes for download. Good idea?

Yes – very good idea!

pendo86
    Participant

I wonder if this is a hint that he’ll be working on the new series? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

thomasaevans
    Participant

No chance.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

maybe not producing NEW content, but maybe they could be sorting out the rights issues surrounding the used cues.

pfm
    Participant

Maybe those new digital masters can be used in RDX…

It’s a shame he can’t return. I love the work he did for VII.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

My favourite bit of Goodall goodness : closing theme to Gunmen. Utterly sublime.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I’m really not an Ouroboros fan. But I really love Howard’s music used in this episode…

pfm
    Participant

His music is in the top 3 good things about VII. The other 2 being…Craig’s performance in general and…that huge wind tunnel set in Tikka.

si
    Participant

That huge wind tunnel set wasn’t a set. It was a huge wind tunnel.

srmcd1
    Participant

Well, that just makes it even more impressive.

Plus, the fact that they actually went out and got a tank.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’m really not an Ouroboros fan. But I really love Howard’s music used in this episode…

The majority of that episode’s music was library music wasn’t it?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>My favourite bit of Goodall goodness : closing theme to Gunmen. Utterly sublime.

Not my absolute favourite (there’s stuff from series I-II that I prefer), but definitely up there. Outstanding piece. Gives me shivers.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>(there’s stuff from series I-II that I prefer)

The Observation Dome music would be a close second. Lovely. HE NEEDS TO COME BACK.

>that huge wind tunnel set in Tikka

…is fucking pointless. “Ooh look at us in a big wind-tunnel!” And? It’s a fantastic location but what’s the point of it since all they do in there is mill about? Was all that bollocks about Starbug expanding due to the paradox to justify these daft locations, or to explain Duct Soup? Either way; meh.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

>The majority of that episode’s music was library music wasn’t it?

For some reason, I was convinced it was a Goodall piece. But I remembered somebody asking on our forum ages ago and looking into it back then. And I was remembering incorrectly as usual….

I originally found the answer on TOS forum where somebody else had also been asking the same question. According to what Andrew told them, it is ‘Lost in Space’ by Nigel Bates. There was a link to a download which now appears to be broken…

HelloMabel
    Participant

The Rimmer graveyard planet music in Stoke Me a Clipper gets me every time. Observation Dome music is a very close second.

Claire
    Participant

https://twitter.com/#!/DougRDNaylor/status/180737626242949120

Sounds promising. :) EDIT: Sorry, can’t seem to link on here to the Tweet in question – an exchange between Doug and Howard Goodall.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Dare we hope?

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Wow….a real magician?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

http://www.nigelbates.co.uk/page6/chapspace/chapspace.html

Track 35 : “Lost In Space (2)”

You’re welcome.

Alex
    Participant

Wow….a real magician?

That’s incidental.

I’ll get my coat.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

@Danny Stephenson. Cheers for the link. I’d forgotten how much liked this and had never listened to the other stuff….It makes me want to go write sci-fi just so I can add a soundtrack to it…

pfm
    Participant

Please please please let this work out with Goodall!!!

His involvement = general excellence.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’m hoping they come to some arrangement. New Goodall work, or even re-workings of old cues to satisfy the rights issues.

Monday…

Ridley
    Participant
    Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Just listened to this now. Seemed to be a different recording of the Red Dwarf Opening used for this…

Alex
    Participant

Just listened to this now. Seemed to be a different recording of the Red Dwarf Opening used for this…

That’s what I thought, but all he said about it was that it was him playing it.

thomasaevans
    Participant

What time Is the Red Dwarf segment?

Alex
    Participant

It’s right at the start. It’s the second piece of music played.

thomasaevans
    Participant

WOW – what shit-ass version of the Red Dwarf theme was that?

thomasaevans
    Participant

Mind you – that’s probably something he’s recently re-done, as you might notice that the DVD music cue Is not an original source cue but the recording from the episode audio. Has the original been misplaced since It’s re-use in the remastering?

HelloMabel
    Participant

…I suppose if any good news had come from the call to Goodall, Doug would have shared it by now?

pfm
    Participant

Not necessarily. Have patience…….

Alex
    Participant

Bearing in mind that a positive responce would still need contracts signed etc, I’d say it’s still early days at the moment.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.