Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum J.J’s Trek Trailer

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    thomasaevans
    Participant

http://www.paramount.com/startrek/

Its seriously good. And Im no trekkie!

Simple and effective! Really looking foward to this.

thomasaevans
    Participant

OOOO… just found this hidden on the front page:

http://www.ncc-1701.com/

TheLeen
    Participant

Me: big trekkie. Huge trek person.

The last one was so bad that there is not even a word for how bad it was.

This one might be good!

It’s also Star Trek’s last chance ever.

If it’s good, it’ll probably spawn toys, animated series and so on!
    If it sucks, it’s all over!

God, do I hope that Abrams doesn’t screw up.

But anyway, what we’ve got to read and see so far… gets one’s hope up :)

bluedwarf
    Participant

I saw the trailer last week online, and thought uit was awesome – but it wasn’t until I saw it on the big screen last friday that I almost had an orgasm at the cinema.

That ncc-1701 site is weird…. and i’m not sure what its trying to show us. According to some forum (of which i can’t find the link right now) the fourth camera will show if you tune the other three in correctly, then refresh the page – but it doesn’t work for me.

When you do get the other camera you can see mainly static, with a halfsecond glimpse of a corridor, assumingly it’s inside the Enterprise. Its like the things JJ did with Lost, teasing us with tidbits, and making us work for the information.

But for the challenge and effort of trying to see jsut a clip of the corridor, I can’t say that it’s worth it… unless theres something I’m missing?

TheLeen
    Participant

> I can?t say that it?s worth it

Yet!

My guess is that it’ll be built up over time. There’s one year left till the release. I think this kind of cryptic teaser website is a *brilliant* marketing tool.

charliebob
    Participant

http://www.trekmovie.com

It looks awesome!

I know a few of the plot ideas, and have seen a uniform :P

Dave
    Participant

If this is the end for Trek it’ll probably be far more satisfying than the last episode of Enterprise.

Nakrophile
    Participant

Nemesis wasn’t even that bad. I cried when Data died.

I’m still betting this will be shit. They really should just either continue the current time-line, either another TNG film or maybe even in a animation if need be with DS9 characters as well.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Must.resist.urge.to.quote.The.Last.Day

TheLeen
    Participant

Sorry. Nemesis *was* that bad.

Nakrophile
    Participant

It was hardly great, but it was more than watchable.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Data dying in Nemesis was the lamest thing ever. Kill a character off, sure, but don’t then soften the blow to the audience (and create a safety net for the actor) by writing in another character who’s played by the same actor and is, to all intents and purposes, the same character. What’s the point?

TheLeen
    Participant

> It was hardly great, but it was more than watchable.

Maybe you watched a different one.

I knew it was going to be the last TNG film and I was absolutely determined to enjoy it, no matter what they do. And I live in my own little world, normally when I’m determined to enjoy myself, I manage! But it was impossible for me because it was lousy beyond words.

I wrote a lengthy review back then for a Star Trek forum that I can’t find now – and I’ve only seen Nemesis this once so I can’t even tell you in detail why exactly I hated it so much (and it got worse each minute of the film) – but I still remember some things… such as:

Issues that are too trivial to actually cock up and they still managed to… cock them up. I.e. they give aliens elaborate masks but don’t think of handing Tom Hardy some contacts. Resulting in Picard and his clone to have different coloured eyes… which is really nasty when you show their faces next to each other in close-ups.

And totally unnecessary nuisances, like recycling storylines from TNG like the fans have never seen the actual show. I’m not even talking about Data finding his older brother (no mentioning of Lore there, was there?) but troy being remote-mind-raped… it was exactly like in that TNG episode.

The entire movie ended up seeming a lot cheaper than it actually was. Like a B movie version, a caricature of itself.

And I TRIED REALLY HARD to like it.

Nakrophile
    Participant

Yeah I know it had lots (well, loads) of flaws (wasn’t the director completely unwilling to research anything about the series or something?) but nevertheless I did enjoy it. It was the worst TGN film, though. Ah well.

bluedwarf
    Participant

is this really the end for trek, or will they remake the entire kirk series with these new actors? Kinda like a restart, just like battlestar galactica just did. Where the series is *similar* but not necessarily the same.

I’m not sure what i’d think about this, as I like continuity – but this screws it all up. But if it starts a new continuity…. it might actually be okay!

TheLeen
    Participant

Oh God, I read this and now I remember all the horrible details.

bluedwarf
    Participant

hehe I liked it. Not much, admittedly. But it had some good bits.

thomasaevans
    Participant

You right about one thing, this is make or break for Trek. The final frontier indeed.

Wayne
    Participant

I freedly admit to watching all the trek movies over the years multiple times….all except nemesis. What a total and utter waste of film that was, I’d sooner haev watched a hour video of myself being sick. I’ve seen it once and have avoided it like a plague ridden whore ever since.

Weak, feeble, and utterly baffelingly written tripe…. well I could go on but I think the points made. Nemesis was the lump of hardened shit on the arse of a dog that was the star trek universe. JJ better not fuck this one up… although I’ll reserve judgement till I actually see it.

John Hoare
    Participant

I don’t think the film will be a TOTAL make-or-break for Trek. The franchise has made too much money for that.

However, if it flops, it *will* mean we won’t get any new Trek for a fair bit of time. 10 years, perhaps?

TheLeen
    Participant

But I need my Star Trek!

Deep inside, I’m still sad that TNG ever stopped.

Dave
    Participant

I don’t think this is the end necessarily, but it might be for the best if Trek only gets one last hurrah.

If they launch another TV series it’ll be just another ship, with just another crew. There were a few TNG episodes that were almost remakes of TOS episodes, but the rot really set in with Voyager & Enterprise where huge swathes of eps were constructed as an amalgamtion of earlier episodes. When a series is cannibalising it’s own past like that it needs a rest. Or a slap.

Wayne
    Participant

To be frank I feel that some new writers are needed with some freshideas if the franchise is ever going to keep running. Your right that they have been rehashing the same storylines for long nough now….for gods sakes write something fresh and new!

I have a feling that JJ will ‘try’ at least to bring something fresh and original to the writing, whether it turns out to be good or something that grates on the viewer is soemthing we’ll have to wait to find out.

There does seem to be a thing for recasting well known actors in very well known roles of late…take the up coming new freddy movies…with freddy kruger NOT played by Robert Englund!! WTF?

Baz
    Participant

I think they needed to take a fresh approach with the ST franchise too. Leave Starfleet with it’s shiny ships and root beer behind, concentrate on some of the little people, say the crew of a beat-up tramp freighter, trying to make an honest (or otherwise) dollar below the radar of all the galaxy shaking events of a normal ST series.

Had this idea for a series called “Star Trek- Tradewind” along the above lines. That fantastic deep-space freighter design as the ship (google it). A half Orion captain, Pel the female ferengi from that episode of DS9 as the negotiator, cute Andorian girl as a bridge bunny, slightly insane roller-skating Vulcan as the ship’s accountant (“He’s using an old Vulcan mind trick!”).

Then Firefly came out and I thought “Bugger!”. Played too much Traveller in my youth, that’s what it is, growing up in the Spinward Marches…

TheLeen
    Participant

Well, Voyager started out wiht a bunch of adventurers on board, but the whole Marquis storyline was quickly ditched when everyone became nie and sober and very starfleet. ;)

John Hoare
    Participant

Voyager has some great episodes: Projections, Death Wish, Future’s End, Unity, Real Life, Distant Origin, Scorpion, Year Of Hell, Message in a Bottle, The Killing Game, Demon (I *know* loads of people hate that one, but it’s good fun!), Hope and Fear, Timeless, Latent Image, Bride of Chaotica, Course: Oblivion, Equinox, One Small Step, The Voyager Conspiracy, Pathfinder, Blink of an Eye, Virtuoso, Critical Care, Body and Soul, Shattered, Author Author… and that’s just from a quick glance down an episode list. And also Living Witness, and Someone to Watch Over Me, which are two of my favourite episodes of Trek ever (although it’s not a coincidence that they’re both Doctor shows).

Voyager could certainly have done with a massive kick up the arse, and it’s definitely the runt of the family, and did far too many dull or over-familiar stories, and they absolutely fucked up the last season in the worst way possible (they should have got home at least five episodes before the end of the series, and seen how everyone reintegrated) – but there’s also a hell of a lot there that I enjoy, too. It doesn’t deserve all the criticism it gets.

Still, DS9 showed what a weekly Trek series can be if you put decent writers in charge and do something other than a ship series.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I am popping my head round the door of this thread to declare that I care not a jot for Trek in any of its forms; but despite the fact that the last time Abrams was let loose on someone else’s property he wrote what was by all accounts a downright insulting Superman script, I think this film could be pretty cool. Mainly because of Pegg.

Um, as you were.

Dave
    Participant

I love Living Witness, Tuvix, Distant Origin, Message in a Bottle, The Voyager Conspiracy, Pathfinder, Shattered, Author Author

Just think how cool Voyager would have been if it had all been like Year Of Hell, pristine Starfleet ship gets shit kicked out of it for seven years and is forced to integrate alien technology to carry on.

It’s very telling that many on your list are Doctor episodes, and not for example, Harry Kim ones.

When Voyager was good it was really good, when it was bad it was rectal surgery without anaesthesia.

John Hoare
    Participant

Just think how cool Voyager would have been if it had all been like Year Of Hell, pristine Starfleet ship gets shit kicked out of it for seven years and is forced to integrate alien technology to carry on.

Yep, it really would. They’re a great couple of episodes, but they point towards how the show should have been rather too uncomfortably.

It?s very telling that many on your list are Doctor episodes, and not for example, Harry Kim ones.

Without the Doctor and Seven, I wouldn’t be defending the show, yes.

Harry was a waste of time. So was Kes. So was Chakotay. And good characters like Torres, Paris and Tuvok didn’t get nearly enough to do, either. Oh, for what could have been…

Dave
    Participant

Trek’s long history is one of getting very able actors and then ignoring them. LeVar Burton, Jennifer Lien, Tim Russ have all been great in other roles and then turned up on a starship just to say “Yes, Captain”

The genius of the Doctor & Seven is that the characters work equally well in dramatic and comedic episodes.

bluedwarf
    Participant

I think Baz’s idea would make a brilliant and fresh Star Trek series, I’ve had a similar idea actually. I think it would work because Star Trek has set up such an established universe that we know and love now. Following just a few characters as they traverse it would be much better than an entire crew of people who are underused.

I think firefly worked cos you only had a few characters to follow, and you can get to know them better. The series 1 of any Trek series is bad because they have to do so many character-building episodes for their large cast.

Larger casts can work too of course, BSG has a fair few. But is good because they all have very different roles, not just ANOTHER bridge officer.

Has anyone ever read or heard of the Star Trek New Frontier books by Peter David? They are brilliantly action packed, and he describes his characters with witty colourful brilliance. It’s another ship, and another crew in the Next Gen / DS9 universe, but it works because they’re all so diverse and… bonkers. Theres quite a few in the series and it’s a good read from book 1.

I had a few ideas for new Star Trek spinoffs

Starfleet Academy: Saved by the bell – Some smart-ass teenagers and their days at the academy

Starfleet Top Gun: About some hotshot Starfleet pilots

Section 31 Files: Agents Dulmer and Lucsley (from that DS9 episode) investigate strange things across the Federation

USS Tribulation: The adventures of the Federation’s only crew of Tribbles

Any good? :-P

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I don’t see it outside of possibility that they will make a series based around a time ship from the 29th century

Baz
    Participant

Peter David’s work is generally good. He did write the first four-issue set of Little Mermaid comics, in fact he went to the Marvel Execs and threatened to break their legs if they didn’t let him. Being a bit of an Arielholic myself, I approve.

Wonder if someone could persuade Joss Whedon to write a Trek series, apparently Michael J Stracsynski had a script for 3 series of a new franchise all ready to go, but they turned him down.

Andrew
    Participant

> I think firefly worked cos you only had a few characters to follow, and you can get to know them better.

See, I always thought the large number of characters was why it struggled. Firefly had 9 characters set up in its first episode(s), all protagonists. Add bad guys and one-offs to that and it turns out to be way too many people. That it took until Our Mrs Reynolds to go from ‘almost great, but clunking’ to ‘utter genius’ is one of the things that made it struggle to find an audience in the early weeks.

The movie was really well done, but had to deal with the same problem – hence Book being reduced to a couple of off-ship scenes, Inara being brought in later, etc. And still it’s too many – deaths that mattered greatly to we browncoats registered as ‘oh dear, shame’ to newbies. Because there isn’t the time to get to know that many people in two hours.

I’d HATE for Whedon to go anywhere near Trek. Ptchaw!

bluedwarf
    Participant

Joss Whedon would be great becauase he’d focus on the characters, which have always been a bit watery in Trek, and JMS would be good cos he’s really use the existing alien races and focus on the politics.

I think a new series should definately be like a mini-series, and focus an entire season on a proper ongoing story – not individual episodes. I think Enterprise got much much better when it had the ongoing story rather than rubbish single episodes.

I still stick by my idea that Peter David’s new Frontier should be turned into a miniseries. It’s full of action and whacky characters. The budget would have to be pretty high cos a lot of actiony things happen, maybe a 3D animated series would be okay?

Baz
    Participant

Perhaps we could get Rob and Doug interested. Star Trek penned by the Red Dwarf writers.

Brain melting… does not compute…

Aieee!

PS- Now I have the image of Kirk nipping out of the bridge for a fag and beaming down for a curry and Data pulling a spare head 3 face and going “Ah’ve cacked me pants!”

Andrew
    Participant

I think they should STOP THE MADNESS and rest the bloody thing for…well, ever, actually. But a couple of decades, anyway. Let the cash cow die.

TheLeen
    Participant

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Don’t stop the madness!

Nakrophile
    Participant

> Oh God, I read this and now I remember all the horrible details.

That was brilliant!

Still, two episodes of TNG and five of DS9 a week is pretty damn good, although I do wish the former would end before the latter. As for continuing it, I would definitely take the current continuity over some bullshit new one.

bluedwarf
    Participant

Don’t ever stop ANY madness. I like the madness.

When do we get to see more RD Madness?

I love the idea of Kirk nipping out for a fag and a curry!

pfm
    Participant

I still firmly believe the TNG crew deserve one more outing rather than ending with the lame duck of Nemesis. The story could culminate in the introduction of the Next NEXT Generation.

As for Abrams’s film, it’s looking to be pretty good but I still can’t get over some of the casting. The one decision they SHOULD make is having Shatner’s Kirk appear at the end. It seems so crap to me that it’s a movie about Kirk, Spock etc. and Leonard Nimoy is in it but NOT Shatner!? Screw Kirk’s death in Generations! It could be easily explained away – just say it was an alt-Kirk that died, that the Nexus spewed out another Kirk somewhere else, perhaps in the past timeline that Abrams’s movie deals with!

TheLeen
    Participant

Bah, I don’t know why even Nimoy is in this. And I’m bloody glad Shatner isn’t…

As for the NEXT next Generation, wasn’t that Deep Space Nine or something?

pfm
    Participant

> And I?m bloody glad Shatner isn?t?

lol. I wouldn’t want him to have a large role in it, just a cameo at the end would be a fantastic nod to all the fans who hated his death in Generations. I doubt it will happen though. And there’s a good chance Nimoy’s Spock will die in the new film, leaving Zachary Quinto firmly as the new Spock (you just KNOW if this is successful there’ll be sequels).

Nakrophile
    Participant

I thought given that this was a new continuity, Kirk hasn’t died yet on that planet in Generations?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

This is a prequel. It seems to be set before the original series, but isn’t strictly speaking a “reboot”. Not if my information is accurate, at least.

Nakrophile
    Participant

I still do not understand how Leonard Nimoy is appearing then if it is a prequel. I guess maybe it will start in the present continuity and then flashback to the younger new cast. Oh well.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Yes, that’s it.

Dave
    Participant

He’s adding credence to the idea of a new cast. If they had just recast Trekkies would have said it was sacrilege. I’m expecting a framing story with him describing the launch of the ship and then cut to Quinto. And then a scene at the end.

It’d be quite nice if it were a bit involved than that though.

penny
    Participant

Maybe he’s going to play Spock’s dad or relative…but I thing the flashback is more likely.

Antipodean
    Participant

The movie will be set in multiple time frames: there’ll be flashbacks, and presumably flash-forwards with Leonard Nimoy.

I’m really looking forward to this. I check Trekmovie every other day.

Anonymous

***SPOILERS******SPOILERS******SPOILERS******SPOILERS******

It involves Spock time-travelling and helping his younger self to avert a Romulan plot to assassinate a young Kirk / alter history.

Apparently the time-line is changed somewhat, which allows for a reboot of the franchise.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Oh my God, that sounds like the lamest thing in the entire world.

Baz
    Participant

Old Spock: No, look. I’m you from the future. I’ve come to warn you, in three million years you’ll be dead.

Young Spock: Will I really?

Old Spock: Yes. unless you do something about it now.

Young Spock: Well, what do you suggest, give up white bread? More roughage?

Sorry, couldn’t resist it…

pfm
    Participant

> Oh my God, that sounds like the lamest thing in the entire world.

That’s J.J. Abrams for you! His story idea for Superman was to make Lex Luthor a secret Kryptonian and loads of other crazy bollocks. Mind you, it might have been better than the dull, but expensive, Superman Returns…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Clawing forth from the depths of Hell itself, Jimbotfu opened his gaping maw, and he spake…
    ***SPOILERS***

I’d be very interested in hearing your source for this. I may well find myself calling some of my contacts at Paramount this afternoon to see if there’s any credence to it.

ChrisM
    Participant

I think Jimbotfu might be pulling our legs actually.

That being said, I wouldn’t be completely surprised if such a storyline occurred.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

There is a hrorible tendency for Star Trek writers to fall back on the ol’ Time Travel thing. It’s for that very reason that I have banned Time Travel in Jump Leads.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Mind you, it might have been better than the dull, but expensive, Superman Returns?

NO. NO NO NO. JJ ABRAMS WANTED TO KILL OFF SUPERMAN AND THEN HAVE HIS DAD UP IN HEAVEN “PERSUADE” HIM BACK TO LIFE. IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN SUPERMAN RETURNS WHICH IS GREAT ANYWAY.

Dave
    Participant

From the pen of JJ Abrams:

On the planet Vulcan, Sarek launches a spacecraft containing his infant son, Spock towards Earth, a distant planet with a suitable atmosphere, and where his dense logic will give him superhuman patience. Moments after launch, the sun explodes and Vulcan is destroyed.

The ship crashes in an American farming town in Iowa, where little Spock is found by Jonathan and Martha Kirk and raised as their own son.

Later he dons a costume bearing an “S” symbol, is exposed to Vulcanite the only substance known to cause him harm and wishes he’d been Batman.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Batman could totally beat Spock in a fight if he had time to prepare.

ChrisM
    Participant

I actually read a Star Trek story where on travelling back in time to the Old west (I think) spock was wounded and lost his memory of who he was, where he was from etc.

penny
    Participant

>I actually read a Star Trek story where on travelling back in time to the Old west (I think) spock was wounded and lost his memory of who he was, where he was from etc.

You’re mixing him up with Data.

Andrew
    Participant

> IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN SUPERMAN RETURNS

This is certainly correct.

> WHICH IS GREAT ANYWAY.

This is certainly wrong.

ChrisM
    Participant

You?re mixing him up with Data.

No I’m not, but I understand where you’re coming from, I watched that next generation episode too.

I’m referring to a book I read, something that never made it to TV so likely wouldn’t be considered canon. For one thing the original series (humanlike) Klingons made an appearance.

It was an interesting read though. And the 2 stories have strong similarities. That whole crashland-lose your memory etc has become a bit cliche hasn’t it? I’ve saw an episode of New Adventures of Superman that had a similar premise. I think they might have done it in Smallville too.

pfm
    Participant

It might not have been BETTER than Superman Returns but it certainly would have been more interesting AND made more money for the studio! I don’t know what Bryan Singer was on after making the excellent X-Men 2.

Baz
    Participant

>I?m referring to a book I read, something that never made it to TV so likely wouldn?t be considered canon. For one thing the original series (humanlike) Klingons made an appearance.

Think that story was in one of “The New Voyages” books, edited by Sondra Marshack and Myrna Culbreath. I got these.

Searches.

No, I tell a lie, it was “Ishmael” by Barbara Hambly, I got this too.

Anonymous

Clawing forth from the depths of Hell itself, Jimbotfu opened his gaping maw, and he spake?
    ***SPOILERS***

I?d be very interested in hearing your source for this. I may well find myself calling some of my contacts at Paramount this afternoon to see if there?s any credence to it.

Reviews and talks of the script have been abound on the interweb for quite a while now. Specifically, the description of the story appeared on aintitcool.com and darkhorizons.com a while back.

Will find a link…

Anonymous

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33832

– original rumours

http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/35208

– script review of what appears to be the same story.

Anonymous

Regarding Superman Returns – one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard is Kevin Smith talking about the time when he was approached about making a Superman movie…and the only stipulations were that he dropped the idea of Superman flying, he couldn’t hava a cape and at some point he had to fight a giant mechanical spider.

Found a link to it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk

Spanish subtitles for some reason.

Andrew
    Participant

> but it certainly would have been more interesting

Braver with the source material, maybe, I’m not convinced that’s necessarily positive. Was MI3 actually any more interesting for giving Hunt a girlfriend? Hardly.

> AND made more money for the studio!

Wow, that I DEFINITELY disagree with. Coverfield (which Abrams neither wrote not directed) may be making cash, but he’s nobody’s idea of guaranteed box office.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

What’s barely remembered is that Superman made an absolute shitload at the box office, particularly internationally. But it didn’t have an amazing opening weekend (apparently the barometer for “success” as far as media reporting is concerned), and it didn’t make a massive profit compared with other films of its type. But that’s because the budget factored in the almost twenty years of development (including countless Pay-or-Play deals for people like Burton and Smith), so was unnaturally inflated.

And yes, the Kevin Smith “Superman Lives” story is absolutely brilliant – watched it many, many times. You know what else is brilliant? The script that he ended up writing, even with all the giant-spider-wisecracking-robot bollocks that Peters made him put in. He found a neat way around the “I don’t want to see him fly” thing, as well – just have him fly incredibly fast everywhere.

Andrew
    Participant

> What?s barely remembered is that Superman made an absolute shitload at the box office

I remembered! I remembered! :-)

It wasn’t the BO that sank the film, it was the production and promotion costs. (Inflated, as you say, but also pushed up by a demanding filmmaker looking at some very tricky FX and saying “We need to find a new way to do this – let’s start from scratch.”) It made STACKS of cash, but no profit.

Not that ANY movie makes a profit, technically…

Anonymous

But it did, though! It recouped its budget plus $120 million. A sequel is also planned titled the Man of Steel. Cast is all signed on, but it still needs a directos cos it seems Brian Singer is unlikely to return.

And I’d say that J.J. Abrams was pretty hot property at the moment, which is why his name figures so heavily in promotional material for his films.

I mean…Lost, MI:3, Cloverfield, Star Trek on its way…these are pretty big properties which have been closely associated with their director.

Andrew
    Participant

> And I?d say that J.J. Abrams was pretty hot property at the moment, which is why his name figures so heavily in promotional material for his films.

“Pretty hot” isn’t “guaranteed money”.

Pre-Cloverfield he was only “More hot than anyone else involved in that film”. What else did they have to market it on? Glossy production values? Not really. Famous actors? Nope. And a script by a TV staffer. What else COULD be done but to try and grab the Lost audience?

Lest we forget, Serenity was sold the same way – on the basis of Whedon and his TV fame. And it didn’t work. TV name doesn’t equal movie name.

Abrams wasn’t guaranteed money, I’m sorry. He just wasn’t. Stating that an Abrams Superman flick would have made more money – fact – is nonsense. His involvement alone was no guarantee – certainly no more than having Singer post X2.

As to putting his name on Trek – it’s designed to get an old fanbase back with ‘coo, that’d be interesting’. It’s hardly “Ridley Scott’s Star Trek”. Regardless, as I say, he’s hotter thanks to Cloverfield, no question. But SR was made a long time ago now and he wasn’t so huge then.

> But it did, though! It recouped its budget plus $120 million.

Based on which released figure? Taking into account the $100 million-plus marketing?

But even with released figures my point is still the same – that NO film goes into actual, on-the-books profit. Movie accounting is labyrinthine and designed to never, ever present an actual net (not gross) profit. Studios can post all they like about the take, but the business is infinitely more complex.

> A sequel is also planned titled the Man of Steel.

Planned isn’t greenlit.

> Cast is all signed on

Yeah, cos they were so busy otherwise, and there’s no such thing as contractual obligation.

> but it still needs a directos cos it seems Brian Singer is unlikely to return.

Plus they might not go there due to the JLA movie…

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I think I’ve said this before, but if the JLA movie ever actually happens, I will eat my hat. Or, at the very least, I will eat a Justice League comic. Not one of the Giffen/deMatteis ones, though, I love those.

ChrisM
    Participant

And I?d say that J.J. Abrams was pretty hot property at the moment, which is why his name figures so heavily in promotional material for his films.

I’ve heard Stephen King gave him the rights to the filming of The Dark Tower too.

Whether or not it happens though is another thing. Part of me hopes it doesn’t… Not because of JJ Abrams. (I quite liked Lost although I wished they dropped the flashback thing and moved the story along.) I’m just not sure how well it would translate to film.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

(I quite liked Lost although I wished they dropped the flashback thing and moved the story along.)

As someone who couldn’t be arsed with Lost in the slightest a month ago and is now halfway through season three, it’s utterly ludicrous to say that the story doesn’t move along. By the opening scene of season three, you’re watching a show with a *completely* different premise to that of the first season.

Andrew
    Participant

> (I quite liked Lost although I wished they dropped the flashback thing and moved the story along.)

Preach it brother!

Ian’s half-right from my POV. Sure, the thing creeps along and evolves (I wouldn’t say ‘completely different’ at ALL, though), but the FBs are padding more times than they are relevant plot/character work. The show constantly mistakes screen-time for substance.

But I bang that drum every few months. There’s no need to get started again. Especially since I quit after 50 shows.

ChrisM
    Participant

I guess I was exaggerating Ian. They do move it along but very very slowly, and half the episode told in flashback doesn’t help.

As for the flashbacks, I found them interesting to start with, but it just got too repetitive. And padding as Andrew said.

There are exceptions of course. One of the last episodes I saw (before Sky was removed from my broadbanc) was the one where you find out more of the Scottish guys story. (You know the original keeper of the underground computer thing? Who reset the countdown?)

The flashback for him was genuinely intriguing, and what we find out about him. Then they took the show away….

Still I’ve noticed that they’re showing seasons 1-3 on TV on demand now so I might give it a look. My memory is really rusty at the moment so I guess I’ll need to start at the beginning….

Of season 3 I mean. I’m not going way back to number 1.

Antipodean
    Participant

Y’know, it really annoys me when I see people saying “Bah Lost is rubbish nothing ever happens they never answer any questions it sucks… oh yeah, and I stopped watching two years ago.” Want to take a guess WHY you don’t get it?

And I don’t accept the opinion that the flashbacks are a waste of time… except for the “Jack’s tattoos” one, that wasn’t really important.

As for the new Star Trek movie – Ain’t It Cool News is the shittiest excuse for an entertainment news website I’ve ever seen. And a lot of the rumours about the movie seem to be a garbled mash-up of what the movie actually is about and “Star Trek: Of Gods and Men”.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

> Y?know, it really annoys me when I see people saying ?Bah Lost is rubbish nothing ever happens they never answer any questions it sucks? oh yeah, and I stopped watching two years ago.?

Surely, if they were to keep on watching and calling it rubbish; the reply would be “Don’t watch it then!”?

I’m still watching Lost after 3 seasons and 2 episodes and am running after the bandwagon but still confused at the endless enthusiasm towards it. I find it exceptionally well-produced with mostly good acting. My problem with it is that it seems a show designed purely about the mysteries with the focus always on “the next episode” rather than the current one. I’m not sure if I could ever re-watch 95% of the episodes, simply because so much of it seems irrelevant (Anna-Lucia flashback, anyone?) in the grand scheme of things. And the solutions, when they come, will never truly satisfy.

Incidentally, when Lost attempted a stand-alone story (Expos?) which had no delusions about being connected towards the main mystery, I rather liked it and the online fan community hated it…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Incidentally, when Lost attempted a stand-alone story (Expos?) which had no delusions about being connected towards the main mystery, I rather liked it and the online fan community hated it?

Don’t talk pants, man; any member of the ‘online fan community’ with half a brain loved that episode to bits and I’ve seen loads more praise for it than hate.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Maybe I mistook “Online Fan Community” for “What some people wrote on Wikipedia about Nikki and Paulo”. Whoops.

ChrisM
    Participant

Y?know, it really annoys me when I see people saying ?Bah Lost is rubbish nothing ever happens they never answer any questions it sucks? oh yeah, and I stopped watching two years ago.?

Surely, if they were to keep on watching and calling it rubbish; the reply would be ?Don?t watch it then!??

Erm, if that was directed at me, please reread my post. I never said Lost was rubbish. In fact I said I liked it. I did say that I got fed up with the flashbacks (which is true) and that I wished they’d moved the story along quicker, but that’s not the same as saying I hate the show. And yes, I would have continued watching it if Sky hadn’t been removed from my box. (In fact I started rewatching series 3 last night on Virgin on demand.)

It’s interesting how people will take one part of a post and blow it right out of proportion isn’t it? Point is, it’s possible to like a show and not like everything about it.

pfm
    Participant

Lost entertains me with every episode, that’s all I care about. I’m not one of those people who gets frustrated and wants to kill the writers for not answering questions. If they answer questions the show will be over. I like the mystery that surrounds the story, that’s what makes it so good.

This is not a 2 hour film it’s a 6 season long television series with a continuing story.

Dave
    Participant

>Y?know, it really annoys me when I see people saying ?Bah Lost is rubbish nothing ever happens they never answer any questions it sucks? oh yeah, and I stopped watching two years ago.?

But Lost is rubbish: nothing ever happens, they never answer any questions, it sucks and I did stop watching two years ago.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I honestly don’t mind people not liking Lost for whatever reasons they chose, but the Internet seems to be full of people clamouring to point when they stopped watching it and how they hate it for exactly the same reason as everyone else. They’re like smug ex-smokers who never stop fucking talking about quitting smoking.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I like that analogy. It’s a good analogy, largely because it implies that watching “Lost” is bad for you.

Andrew
    Participant

> I like that analogy. It?s a good analogy, largely because it implies that watching ?Lost? is bad for you.

*APPLAUDS LOUDLY*

Anonymous

> They?re like smug ex-smokers who never stop fucking talking about quitting smoking.

Haha! “I hate non-smokers. I’d quit smoking if I didn’t think I’d become one of you.”

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Yeah, but smoking is cool, interesting, clever and hard.

pfm
    Participant

> smoking is cool, interesting, clever and hard.

I saw that on a gravestone once.

It was my own…in the FUTURE!! cue dramatic incidental music – *duh duh DUH*

Though I don’t smoke now so presumably I must take it up at some point. Or maybe it was my son’s grave… Damn those fake Future Echoes-inspired dreams!! Yeah, I’m just itching to start forking out an extra ?40 a week to slowly kill myself to death…with SMOKE!! *duh duh DUH*

Seriously, people shouldn’t smoke. My great aunt died of throat cancer brought on by 40-a-day for 40 years. Not good. I find it slightly amusing that my dad still smokes after that happened. Slightly.

ChrisM
    Participant

I’ve been on a Lost (season 3) watch fest these last 3 days. I’ve now got to the episode I originally missed due to the dropping of Sky 1… and I have to say this is a pretty awesome season.

I stand by what I said concerning the amount of flashbacks in that it would be nice to have some episodes without them, but they haven’t bugged me that much this time round.

I think part of what bugged me was them (season 2,3 spoilers ahead)..

Building up new characters in season 2 (the other half of the plane) then proceeding to kill most of them off at the end of season 2 and the start of season 3.

On sticking with it though, it’s gotten very intriguing. Last one I watched today was the one where Juliette helps cure Claire from a mystery disease…

And the one with the two newbies and the paralytic spiders… warped but interesting.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I think the biggest problems people have the show is related to what they see as padding, which itself is a side effect of the writers not knowing how long they need to tred water. From season 4 onwards they know exactly how many more episodes they have, so it should be less of a problem.

Andrew
    Participant

> which itself is a side effect of the writers not knowing how long they need to tred water.

Wasn’t it always a five year plan? I know they’re looking at shorter seasons now, but it’s not like they were flying blind in the first two years.

But then, it’s not that I object the the flashbacks per se, it’s just how rarely they’re used for genuinely interesting or insightful reasons. When they are (blah blah, sites Walkabout, blah blah), ’tis fine. But I could count those times on one seriously-injured hand.

pfm
    Participant

I always find the flashes off island very insightful (EVEN the Jack tattoo one as it showed a different side to him). They are so essential for character development. For example, what the hell would we know about Juliet if it weren’t for her flashbacks? Also, just how amazing was Ben’s flashback?!!? You can’t be far off that, Marbloid. Top episode that.

Season 2 was definitely a ‘stopgap’ season. Not much that happened in it has had a long-term effect on the show. All the numbers stuff amounted to nothing. They got bogged down in it to try and delay telling too much of the proper story. Bringing in Desmond and Ben were the best things about season 2. Bringing in the tail-section characters was the biggest waste of time.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Wasn?t it always a five year plan? I know they?re looking at shorter seasons now, but it?s not like they were flying blind in the first two years.

I think any plan JJ, Lindelof or CUse had at that time would still’ve been up in the air as they would’ve had to idea (or, at least, no set in stone confirmation) of how long ABC would want the show or if they’d even want it to go on too long.

Andrew
    Participant

> They are so essential for character development.

Yeah, cos shock revelations such as ‘the married couple once met and fell in love’ and ‘the drug addict band member once played in a band and became addicted to drugs’ really gave us a new understanding. :-)

> I think any plan JJ, Lindelof or CUse had at that time would still?ve been up in the air

Fair point. But that’s not a reason to make your show run SLOW, if anything it’s a reason to speed it up to maintain interest.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Yeah, cos shock revelations such as ?the married couple once met and fell in love? and ?the drug addict band member once played in a band and became addicted to drugs? really gave us a new understanding. :-)

Ahh, c’mon Andrew, over simplifying things to prove your point is pretty cheap! Watch:

Yeah, cos shock revelations such as ‘all these intelligent people who all work for the President and won an election for him once all got recruited and won an election for him’ really gave us new understanding. :-)

The flashbacks are part of Lost’s core formula and they need to be there (in whatever form) for every episode. Without them the whole thing would be lacking any real structure and it just wouldn’t work as a mainstream network drama. I’m not saying they’ve not been used for padding before, but literally every show in the entire universe uses it’s core formula to allow them to easily pad a season out. It’s what happens. The reason Lost gets stick for it is because people get pissed off that they’re not being told things as fast as they want, which isn’t really the flashbacks fault. At their best, flashbacks raise the show to a whole new level (Andrew’s already mentioned Walkabout) but at their worst they at least add a little more character understanding and take that burden away from the island storyline, which I think is far more important than people give them credit for.

> Fair point. But that?s not a reason to make your show run SLOW, if anything it?s a reason to speed it up to maintain interest.

Well, if you speed it up then you reach one of your milestones too quickly and before you know it you’ve finished your entire plan and the network still wants three more years. I’d argue that interest was sufficiently maintained in the first three series, as it wasn’t cancelled and ratings were always solid, if not impressive.

Either way, this whole ’48 episodes to go’ thing is fantastic news for everyone as even the most staunch Lost defenders will concede at this point that it’s definitely time for the show to pick up pace and start showing some balls to the wall intent.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Damn, we’ve fallen back into Lost hole against, haven’t we?

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.