Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Maid Marian re-release

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jo
    Participant

Announcement #4: After having been deleted for a few years, MAID MARIAN AND HER MERRY MEN, will be re-released in the UK…

Posted by Eureka Entertainment on Thursday, 22 September 2016

“After having been deleted for a few years, MAID MARIAN AND HER MERRY MEN, will be re-released in the UK on 21 Nov 2016. Available to pre-order now http://amzn.to/2cZ69qY

MAID MARIAN AND HER MERRY MEN was consistently number 1 in the children’s TV ratings throughout its four series, partly because it was popular with children of all ages, but also because it became “must see” viewing for students and young adults. It was popular with the critics too, winning a BAFTA, an RTS Award and the International Prix Jeunesse. This perfectly conceived historical farce is witty, warm and stylish. An excellent cast and faultless writing has drawn comparisons to Blackadder, Red Dwarf, and The Young Ones. It is one of those rare programmes made for and enjoyed by both children and adults and has secured a huge fan-base in the twenty seven years since the first series was initially transmitted.

The latest edition will feature a limited edition booklet by Paul Cemmick…”

£49 though?! Ouch!

jellyscare
    Participant

Would love to watch this again but having not seen it since the original broadcast I’m very worried it might not have aged well. Or it might have outgrown it. Anyone watched it recently?

Plastic Percy
    Participant

I’m hesitant to rewatch anything from my childhood again. I randomly came across an episode of Thundercats on YouTube and thought I’d indulge in some nostalgia. I had to turn it off about five minutes in as it was unbearbly awful and for some reason they were all naked to begin with.

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

I had the comics of these. Beautifully detailed. Might give these a go, but remember the quality dipping in the later series…
    (Another highly detailed comic strip I enjoyed was Calamity James in the Beano. The Beano’s only funny strip?)

Tony Robinson in my memory seems to be the highlight of it all and I always thought King John was a big, smelly brute.

And of course, the theme tune, the only bit I remember I remember is…

Maaaaarionnnnnn, why don’t you… carry on… with a-what you’re doooooing… and a deedlely doo find a place with a what you’re grooving and a three four hiiiiideaway with a deeply dee final solutionnnnnnnn, oh Marrrrriiiooooonnn.

That’s ‘quite’ inaccurate, isn’t it.

Having looked it up, it’s bloody obvious now.

si
    Participant

Ivebgot a couple of the Maid Marian VHS releases. They are still funny.

I have all four series on DVD. It starts very much in kids TV territory – although the first series does have the Pancake Day song and The White-ish Knight – and gets stronger with the arrival of Guy mid-series two. Three and four are marvellous, some genuinely great comedy, a ton of anachronisms that were obviously aimed at adults watching. Gary and Graham are the highlights for me. I always enjoy nice-but-idiotic characters, and that combined with the idea that two Norman soldiers would be brummies just tickles me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.