Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Misheard lines

Viewing 21 posts - 401 through 421 (of 421 total)
  • Author

Now I’m an American, so do I just not have the ear for it and the audience did understand it and laugh at it or was it added later?

There’s a Smeg Up of this line, were Craig goes to walk away and the groinal attachment yanks on his … well groin.

I believe the take of that line is used in the show and it’s just cut before he hurts himself, and the audience do indeed laugh, so I they clearly understood it.

I can, and always have heard that line, but I’m a Brit, so maybe it’s just your American ears?

Dave
    Participant

Yeah, that line has always been quite clear for me but it’s spoken quite quickly and I can imagine it being easily missed.

Then again, I did hear “a ham with your homework” for years.

Unrumble
    Participant

For a long time I heard “Every time I see a Parthenon, I get horny”.

It was quite a while later until I became aware of a ‘Parker Knoll’ and even later before I put the pieces together.

si
    Participant

It was quite a while later until I became aware of a ‘Parker Knoll’ and even later before I put the pieces together.

I’ve never really got that joke, and it is only this post that has given me the inclination to actually look it up and work it out.

Actually looks it up and works it out

Aaaaah. Right. Got you.

It’s just an old granny chair, but because he’d put bras on them they turn him on. That’s it, right? Or have I missed something for 23 years?

si
    Participant

It’s just an old granny chair, but because he’d put bras on them they turn him on. That’s it, right? Or have I missed something for 23 years?

No, that’s it. I just didn’t know what it was. And I didn’t realise he was saying “Parker Knoll”. I always heard it as ‘Parkanol’, didn’t understand, and kept quiet.
    Now I’m into my forties, I feel the time’s right to just admit it. I didn’t get all of Red Dwarf VII.

Renegade Rob
    Participant

Speaking of VII, Princess Bonjella. So I’m to understand that Bonjella’s a gum ointment right, that’s where the theoretical humor comes from, like just a generic household object brand? Like she might as well have been Princess OxyClean or Princess Febreze?

Again, American here so some of the specific brand references go over my head (didn’t know what a Topic Bar was for ages). But then…

Bonjella’s like “Oh please, Ace. Call me Beryl.” And then we get an audience laugh. And granted it wasn’t filmed in front of an audience, but my understanding is the laughter was from an audience being shown the recording instead of pre-canned laughter, but is her name being Beryl significant? Did I even hear that right? Is Beryl just a generic name and that’s the joke, or does Beryl have something to do with Bonjella?

Also another misheard line: I must’ve watched Better Than Life three dozen times before I realized he was saying “Yawn-o-rama City.” Before that I assumed it must’ve been some sort of reference I didn’t get but still couldn’t make out. I was like, is he saying “You’re no Rama city” or “Your neurama City?”

Another misheard line from the same episode, with Lister reading the letter. I had subtitles on when watching the Rob/Ed/Paul Zoom commentary so I finally realized it’s “Maybe it’s your father-stroke-dad.” Which I guess makes more sense. I swear I heard him say “Maybe it’s your father’s strobe dad.” And then I was like what the hell is a strobe dad and dismissed it as another reference lost in translation.

Rubber
    Participant

Speaking of VII, Princess Bonjella. So I’m to understand that Bonjella’s a gum ointment right, that’s where the theoretical humor comes from, like just a generic household object brand? Like she might as well have been Princess OxyClean or Princess Febreze?

Again, American here so some of the specific brand references go over my head (didn’t know what a Topic Bar was for ages). But then…
    Bonjella’s like “Oh please, Ace. Call me Beryl.” And then we get an audience laugh. And granted it wasn’t filmed in front of an audience, but my understanding is the laughter was from an audience being shown the recording instead of pre-canned laughter, but is her name being Beryl significant? Did I even hear that right? Is Beryl just a generic name and that’s the joke, or does Beryl have something to do with Bonjella?

Basically it’s just a bit of an unglamorous old lady name, like Doreen or Edna.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

What? when is this

Ben Saunders
    Participant

“Princess Bonjella” is just a funny name. Beryl is even funnier because you’d never expect a Princess to be called something as blunt as Beryl, they have regal names like Anne and Elizabeth. That’s it, it’s not that deep. Beryl Bonjella.

Unrumble
    Participant

What? when is this

Blue:

KRYTEN: And what about the ironing? I mean, how do you iron a bra??

LISTER: Well, you’ve gotta take it off first. I spent years practicing that. Used to put my nan’s bra around the armchair until I could unhook it with my left hand. Even now, whenever I see a Parker Knoll I get horny.

Renegade Rob
    Participant

Beryl Bonjella, got it, thanks. I think I was thrown off by the fact that I never really hear the name Beryl anywhere.

Hamish
    Participant

“Hey, I don’t do the Big Bang! That’s Beryl.”

Rob just needed to watch an episode filmed close to twenty years later for context.

Dave
    Participant

Beryl Bonjella

Officer BB.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I rewatched The End the other day, and now realise that Holly tells Lister that the crew are Dead.

All this time, I thought they were just all in bed.

Cuh!

Hamish
    Participant

You mean they were not all bread?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Yes, Everybody’s brown bread.

Renegade Rob
    Participant

I never knew growing up what Daz was, or that powdered detergent was even a thing, which threw me off twice in Series II.

Only after the fact did I learn in Kryten that Lister is saying “you’re the one whose Mum does do that biological biz” which is apparently a reference to advertisements for detergent. But even so, I always misheard it as “you’re the one whose montage use that biological biz.” Didn’t even get the gist of the joke besides it being a really specific putdown of some kind.

And then in Stasis Leak, Rimmer goes “You might as well marry a box of Daz” which makes sense in relation to powdered detergent. But I always heard it as either “You might as well marry a box of dams” or “box of dabs” which of course made no sense to me, but I thought dams or dabs were some kind of edible candy or something. The box threw me off because I never really thought of powdered detergent because as far as I knew, detergent comes in those massive jugs with the handles or more recently in those delicious Tide Pods. “Box” made me think of food, but the context of the joke at least made it clear that Rimmer was making a comparison to something powdery. Partial credit?

Dave
    Participant

massive jugs

tombow
    Participant

Owning the first programme guide book as a kid helped me catch a lot of the more obscure jokes…

clem
    Participant

LISTER: Well, you’ve gotta take it off first. I spent years practicing that. Used to put my nan’s bra around the armchair until I could unhook it with my left hand. Even now, whenever I see a Parker Knoll I get horny.

Just been watching some of the Bodysnatcher extras and one of those storyboarded script extracts is Lister finding a tailor’s dummy with three pairs of boobs in Rimmer’s locker, for practicing taking off bras one-handed. On the commentary Rob and Doug remember it was based on a friend of theirs who used to practice using a chair.

Viewing 21 posts - 401 through 421 (of 421 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.