Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Netflix

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Fluffy Wok
    Participant

Anybody else had a go at the Netflix? Like internet piracy only less range and you pay for it but it is the way of the future. Any recommendations for what to watch? Who else has it? Anybody know if they are going to get more stuff on to it?

Red Dwarf is on the front page as 2nd in the most popular amongst facebook users category which is good. Also interesting is the description it gives:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/Fluffy_Wok/Random/reddwarfnetflix.jpg

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’ve been using Netflix for ages, me. But then I’m in America.

How’s it doing in the UK? What’s the selection like?

Blisschick
    Participant

I’ve been using Netflix for about 4 or 5 years. They’ve been in the news lately for crappy business decisions, but for the most part, I have no complaints about their service. We get a lot of foreign and UK shows that otherwise we’d never see. Netflix is where I discovered Red Dwarf.

redhead85
    Participant

“Camp”? A slasher tagged that, didn’t they? ;-)

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Funnily enough, I saw an image just like that earlier on Friday, too: http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2012/03/23/dwarf-on-demand/dwarf-on-demand-1.jpg

*whistles*

Fluffy Wok
    Participant

Seb – I screengrabbed it myself after stumbling over it, I hadn’t noticed it in the original image you posted (teeny writing, no clicky)

American based people – Netflix is new in the UK and as far as I can make it out it has a fairly scattergun approach to what films and series are included, probably copyright permissions and the like. It has a good spread of BBC and Channel 4 shows, some ITV, a few early series of US shows (Scrubs, Weeds, 24 and the like) and a few anime series like Ghost in the Shell.

Films get odd with examples like Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey but not Excellent Adventure, Evil Dead 1 but not its sequels, the 2nd Pirates of the Caribbean and a whole host of mildly interesting films but not the ones you necessarily want (couldn’t find Die Hard anywhere)

Miss Flibble – I think they may have based their tags on Series 7 Kryten darling.

Blisschick
    Participant

Yeah, they do that, and I’m not sure why. You’ll get a series, for example, MI-5 (Spooks), that will have Seasons 1-4, not 5, then 6-whatever. It’s frustrating and very irritating. I’m wanting to rewatch Quantum Leap, but with nearly half the first season missing, I’ve passed for now.

I do know they had a contract with Starz, who was the owner (or whatever) of a lot of movies and older series, but for whatever reasons, the contract has not been renewed, so a lot of the movies and series that are on there now may be going away later on in the year. Whatever committee is in charge of negotiating contracts with the various companies for rights to instant play has not been doing their job very effectively in the past couple of years. I know there have been major complaints from a lot of customers, but so far, we’ve managed to dodge the bullet. The worst problem we had is that our Roku box went out right after the warranty expired. (That was to be expected, of course. *eyeroll*) I’m wishing we could afford Hulu Plus, which is available through the same box as Netflix. I could catch up on all the eps of Big Bang Theory I’ve missed. :/ Amazon also has a service with the same box, but it requires a Prime membership. Some of the shows are free, but many are PPV.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Seb – I screengrabbed it myself after stumbling over it, I hadn’t noticed it in the original image you posted (teeny writing, no clicky)

I know, I was just saying, it was funny that you posted this thread, with that pic, the same day as I had the article go up on the site ;-)

HelloMabel
    Participant

>http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/Fluffy_Wok/Random/reddwarfnetf…
    What an odd crop – rather than faces we get chins. They should have stuck eyeballs on while they were at it.

>“Camp”? A slasher tagged that, didn’t they? ;-)
    Netflix bought the exclusive rights to the Gayray episode. #dwarffact

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.