Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum New Red Dwarf specials to feature Kryter and Barrie

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

From the Review of the Year post, haven’t seen this mentioned elsewhere yet.

“Craig Charles confirms plans for more Red Dwarf specials: ‘There’s life in the old dog yet’”

Craig Charles confirms plans for more Red Dwarf specials: ‘There’s life in the old dog yet’

The usual non-story of “we’re keen to carry on doing more”, Craig hinting that they were hoping to have filmed the next one this year. However, the real highlight is in the second paragraph:

“The classic sitcom aired a one-off Easter special in April and saw Craig reprising his role as David Lister, Arnold Rimmer return as Barrie, Danny John-Jules as the Cat and Robert Llewellyn as Kryter.”

Dave
    Participant

Silly mistakes aside, “we were supposed to do the other one by now” is interesting phrasing isn’t it? Could it be that there were originally plans made for two specials?

cwickham
    Participant

The confusion arose because Barrie Kryter is a long serving panellist on Radio 4’s I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue

That’s a good point, especially as Barrie Kryter is actually a fictional persona played by Red Dwarf’s very own Arnold Rimmer.

Silly mistakes aside, “we were supposed to do the other one by now” is interesting phrasing isn’t it? Could it be that there were originally plans made for two specials?

I assume it’s just that they had hoped they’d have done a second off the the back of the first. If they were supposed to be two, as in commissioned at the same time, they’d have announced it surely?

Yes, I assumed they would have been waiting for the green light to do another special, maybe in the same slot.
    It’s also worth mentioning that the cast are always over-confident when it comes to these things.

Moonlight
    Participant

I distinctly remember either Doug or Richard saying they were initially given the offer to do two specials and specifically chose to start with one to “test the format.”

evilmorwen
    Participant

kryter is my favourit.

steven87gill
    Participant

I was hoping for a series 13, but I guess now they’ve gotten 3 series of Dave era Red Dwarf under their belt, it makes sense that they’d probably want to move on to periodic standalone specials.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Ah, sorry International Debris, I hadn’t seen this thread when I tweeted about this mistake earlier, I would have credited you if I had!

I expect a spoken apology on the next Dwarfcast.

Should have asked him to polish your sword.

ARossiEsquire
    Participant

Who’s Kryter? I only know Leyton

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.