Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum One reason why my sister is the best possible sister on this planet

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    TheLeen
    Participant

She gave me a Pacman board gane for my birthday.

Apparently, she and her fiance spent months cutting, sawing, printing and gluing stuff… including a wooden board, ruleset, box, all sorts of pellets and fruits, special dice, and no less than 300 quiz cards with carefully researched geeky questions and answers.

I’m smitten!

I’ll take pictures some time this week and playtest it, too, as soon as possible ;)

Baz
    Participant

Wacca wacca wacca….

I imagine you have to make your own sound effects.

*googles*

Ah, apparently not.

TheLeen
    Participant

Sound effects not included ;p

Out of curiousity, what’s google telling you about my sister’s hand-made Pacman game? *g*

Baz
    Participant

Just piles of sites with soundfiles for the original game sound effects. Thought there might be one of those little sound machine keyrings (there’s a mario one) but apparently not.

Phil
    Participant

I still fucking love Pac Man.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Pokemon, it’s pronounced *Pokemon*.

James
    Participant

So how do you say Hoots-mon?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Pok?mon, it?s pronounced *Pok?mon*.

ISWYDT. Awesome.

Your sister must really really love you…and her fiance must be pussy whipped enough to do what she tells him to.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Or alternatively, he’s not a dick.

Phil
    Participant

>I?ll take pictures some time this week

I just want to make absolutely certain you remember to do this.

TheLeen
    Participant

> Your sister must really really love you?and her fiance must be pussy whipped enough to do what she tells him to.

> Or alternatively, he?s not a dick.

I think there is truth in both statements there!
    No, really, he’s a sweetheart. :)

> I just want to make absolutely certain you remember to do this.

I’ll do it tonight, after work.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Your sister sounds like an angel. Is there *anything* she does wrong?

TheLeen
    Participant

Can’t think of anything! :D

Dave
    Participant

She’s just nipped off to teach Kryten how to play the piano.

pfm
    Participant

Is she hot? Surely that’s the only relevant thing.

mick
    Participant

Does she have an ample but perky chest area?

The people need to know.

James
    Participant

Your going to look good if shes 12.

Got a brother, all I got from him was lip.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Your going to look good if shes 12.

So’s her fiance.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Your going to look good if shes 12.

Don’t say things like that – Gannon might turn up.

TheLeen
    Participant

Yes, she’s smokin’ hot. But I’m very protective of her. Careful now!

Okay, now here’s the photos from the game, then:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
    All the game’s components.

The gaming board consists of four wooden panels.

The players’ gaming pieces (pacmans with differently coloured mouths) and blinkies which you can turn around and thus make angsty.

Pellets, power-pellets, and little half-golden blinky stones that have something to do with rules and such.

And these are the dice: regular D4, D6, D10 and a custom D6 that is used to determine where blinky goes when hitting a junction.

Pacman eats healthy, here’s the fruit basket. The grapes and cherries are custom made.

The 300 (or so) quiz cards.

Quiz cards close-up. In multiple choice ones, the blinky/pacman indicates which answer’s the right one. If there’s a fruit logo in the corner, fruit is placed onto the board or withdrawn. Use dice in order to find out where to place fruit.
    The one with its back to the scanner says: “How many percent of damages to photocopiers are attributed to people trying to copy their bums?”

I thought about scanning the two-pages ruleset, too, but they’re in German and I can’t be bothered to translate them right now, so I’ll just keep any talk about that aspect for later when I’ve actually played the game.

A game in progress could be looking like this (I totally faked this):

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I’ll know more, soon! Will be playing this with Vince tomorrow, with workmates on Tuesday and with my best friend the weekend after next.

Phil
    Participant

jasdhnlkkkkfjab asldkfbasldk.fbgkuaweigfawe fwfgbawlifhlk weh9oy8 hfgv

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

That’s just… fucking incredible. Did they come up with the rules and everything? That looks like a professional game!

It beats my dice football game into a cocked hat, I’ll tell you that much.

TheLeen
    Participant

It also beats my Magestorm version of risk by miles :x

Yeah, she’s like that, totally, totally awesome.

Now I have to get Milton Bradley’s Pacman boardgame and compare the two versions…

ChrisM
    Participant

Very impressive.

>Careful now!

This reminds me of the placard/cinema scene in an episode of Father Ted.

TheLeen
    Participant

Coincidence? Unlikely ;)

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

That is absolutely amazing! It looks so professional, and I’m seriously loving the game board.

TheLeen
    Participant

My sister has asked me to state again that her man is not a pussy and declares you all a bunch of fat internet virgins. No wait, that was Iain Lee.

No, seriously, her fiance is probably just as awesome as she is, although I prefer her to be my sister.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> My sister has asked me to state again that her man is not a pussy and declares you all a bunch of fat internet virgins. No wait, that was Iain Lee.

Smeg4Brains is giving us all a bad name.

hummingbird
    Participant

Wow, that’a amazing!
    And such a thoughtful pressie too.

>and her fiance must be pussy whipped enough to do what she tells him to.

No, he’s just a nice bloke.

Hey it was just a joke…there’s nothing wrong with being pussy whipped anyway, i am on a regular basis.

And the game looks really professional…love it.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>there?s nothing wrong with being pussy whipped anyway

… except, perhaps, for using phrases like “pussy whipped”.

>? except, perhaps, for using phrases like ?pussy whipped?.

Whats wrong with ?pussy whipped??

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

It’s a horrible phrase with no application other than an entirely sexist one?

> It?s a horrible phrase with no application other than an entirely sexist one?

It isn’t in the least bit sexist.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Explain how.

Because it’s used to describe a guy who’ll do whatever his girlfriend/wife/bit on the side says because he knows that she’s the one who can ultimately deny him sex.

Explain how that is sexist.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

She’s so hot she’s making me sexist… bitch.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Because it?s used to describe a guy who?ll do whatever his girlfriend/wife/bit on the side says because he knows that she?s the one who can ultimately deny him sex.

Explain how that is sexist.

Because it suggests that blokes would be free to do whatever they wanted if it weren’t for those stupid women “withholding sex”; it also suggests that the only means a woman has of getting a man to do something for her is to use sex, also suggesting that sex is the only thing a woman has to offer a man. It’s demeaning, it’s nasty in both its implication and its wording, it’s juvenile (it strikes me as coming from a similar sort of vernacular as the likes of “bros before hos”)… and it’s sexist. Not in an aggressive, misogynist, all-women-are-whores kind of way; but in that casual, unthinking way that, despite what many would like to believe, still pervades society. I’m not suggesting that you’re a deliberately sexist person, but in a way, that’s kind of a part of the problem – people not even realising what it is they’re saying. I mean, your explanation actually did a pretty effective job of summing up why it’s sexist, but you didn’t even realise.

Political. Correctness. Gone. Mad.

You know, I’m fed up of having to watch everything I say because there could be a slight chance it may possibly offend somebody.
    I’ve got black friends I call packi, I’ve got female friends I call bitch and I’ve got gay friends I call puff…as long as it’s not meant in an offensive way (like my comment wasn’t and I thought the readers of this forum would be able to see that) then I don’t see a problem in it. The problem occurs when people start purposefully trying to offend people.

P.S. thanks seb….I love a good debate.

TheLeen
    Participant

We’ve just played the game for the first time! It was fun! I’ll type up our thoughts tomorrow! I’m a bit drunk!

Also, Seb you’re of course very very right about everything you said there. But isn’t it a bit awkward to discuss the casually sexist nature of a term like “pussy whipped” in a forum wherin everyone calls each other a cunt on a daily basis?

I love you all! Back tomorrow with report.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Yeah, well done you for engaging with Seb’s points. I mean, why should you think about what you type? I’m actually sure you didn’t mean to be sexist, and Seb says that too, but there’s no real way round that particular phrase, like there can be with the other ones you’ve quoted, and to be honest, you haven’t really built enough of a relationship here for others to always get what you mean. The other phrases you mention have gone through a sort of ‘reclaiming’ phase, so using them doesn’t have the impact it once did, but ‘pussy-whipped’ hasn’t, and, for the reasons Seb describes, probably never will.

And if someone else uses the ‘political correctness gone mad’ argument again when their unthinking use of offensive language is questioned, I will track them down and kill them. If they’re going to defend themselves, they can start by being a bit more fucking imaginative.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Oh, and I apologise to Marleen for the interruption to her thread.

Phil
    Participant

THIS FORUM IS A POWDER KEG

Well I have no desire to start an argument as I’m sure neither does Seb (or anybody else) so I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Just to set the record straight I didn’t mean any offence and I’m sure Marleen’s sister’s fience is a nice guy and not in any way “pussy whipped”.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Political. Correctness. Gone. Mad.

You know, I?m fed up of having to watch everything I say because there could be a slight chance it may possibly offend somebody.
    I?ve got black friends I call packi, I?ve got female friends I call bitch and I?ve got gay friends I call puff?as long as it?s not meant in an offensive way (like my comment wasn?t and I thought the readers of this forum would be able to see that) then I don?t see a problem in it. The problem occurs when people start purposefully trying to offend people.

P.S. thanks seb?.I love a good debate.

*sounds the “Cunt” alarm*

Andrew
    Participant

> isn?t it a bit awkward to discuss the casually sexist nature of a term like ?pussy whipped? in a forum wherin everyone calls each other a cunt on a daily basis?

What Marleen said.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> What Marleen said.

What Tanya said.

Phil
    Participant

What tonguetied said.

mick
    Participant

>*sounds the ?Cunt? alarm*

Stolen my chat up technique there Symes.

pfm
    Participant

Anyway, back to religion…

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

> > isn?t it a bit awkward to discuss the casually sexist nature of a term like ?pussy whipped? in a forum wherin everyone calls each other a cunt on a daily basis?

>What Marleen said.

There’s a bit of a difference, though. “Cunt”, when used as an insult, is non gender-specific. When you call someone a cunt, you’re not actually calling someone a piece of female genitalia, nor are you suggesting there’s anything wrong with female genitalia. It’s exactly the same as calling someone “twat”, “dick”, “knob”, “cock” or anything else. Or the way we use “fucking” in a way that has absolutely nothing to do with fornication.

With “pussy-whipped”, however, it’s not the use of the word “pussy” that gets me (although it’s never a word I’ve particularly liked, as it happens) – it’s the phrase as a whole, and what it implies. It does have gender-specific meaning, and it is denigrating towards that gender. It’s the meaning behind the word that matters. I’d consider it far more offensive to call a woman a “whore”, for example, than I would to call her a “cunt”.

TheLeen
    Participant

I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

> ?Cunt?, when used as an insult, is non gender-specific. When you call someone a cunt, you?re not actually calling someone a piece of female genitalia,

This would be differently conceived in Germany/German. Don’t call anyone Fotze. It is very gender-specific, it is very much calling someone female genitalia, and just as tasteless to use as a cussword as calling something gay. Just more offensive.

Andrew
    Participant

I’m not saying anyone’s right or wrong, simply that I concur with the view that when you use one offensive term so constantly, with a sense of justification, it’s hard to blanket-deny someone else’s use of a term that they feel they have justification in using. I don’t especially disagree with the logic, but I DO think it’s a bit awkward (not wrong or right, just complicated) that ‘cunt’ is used so readily while taking against other terms that, for many, carry an equal, or lesser, level of offence. (Regardless of whether they SHOULD carry that level.)

mick
    Participant

Can we get back to the important topic here please peeps.

Marleen, are we or are we not going to get a picture of your sister’s norks?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>I concur with the view that when you use one offensive term so constantly, with a sense of justification, it?s hard to blanket-deny someone else?s use of a term that they feel they have justification in using

A perfectly valid point; but we were talking specifically about sexist language, not offensive language in general. Plenty of people are offended by strong language, but G&T from the very beginning has set its stall out as a site where you expect to encounter, as the BBFC would put it, “sexual swear words”. However, we’re as one vehemently opposed to language that is “-ist” in any way, and it’s my view (but feel free to argue it!) that “pussy-whipped” falls into that category, and “cunt” doesn’t. And hey, I’m not trying to moderate or censor here – I’m not telling Smeg4Brains (or anyone else) not to say it. Just trying to articulate why I don’t like it.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

What Seb said; and I concur with David Baddiel’s opinion that ‘cunt’ is a far better swear word than a word for female genitalia. I find ‘muff’, or ‘vag’ better terms for my downstairs part.

Andrew
    Participant

Oh, I’m not debating the relative sexism of the terms or anything – I do think they’re debatable, but I don’t disagree with Seb’s position – I’m just agreeing that it’s not straightforward and all rendered more complex given this site’s proclivities.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

What Seb said; and I concur with David Baddiel?s opinion that ?cunt? is a far better swear word than a word for female genitalia. I find ?muff?, or ?vag? better terms for my downstairs part.

I don’t think there are *any* words I’m completely comfortable using to describe a ladies area. There certainly aren’t any that are particularly alluring or sexy. My foul fucking mouth has rendered me ill-equipped for sex talk.

TheLeen
    Participant

I quite like “Xena”.

And now we’re way off topic.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> My foul fucking mouth

That’s what my girlfriend calls hers.

Phil
    Participant

>I don?t think there are *any* words I?m completely comfortable using to describe a ladies area. There certainly aren?t any that are particularly alluring or sexy. My foul fucking mouth has rendered me ill-equipped for sex talk.

And suddenly I feel so much less alone in the world.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>I don?t think there are *any* words I?m completely comfortable using to describe a ladies area. There certainly aren?t any that are particularly alluring or sexy.

This.

TheLeen
    Participant

Should we invent one? There seems to be a global need.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I like the sound of “Fotze”, actually. I think we should appropriate that.

Anything’s got to be better than “minge”.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

“Clunge.”

John Hoare
    Participant

A great big hairy fanny.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I didn’t used to think “fanny” was that bad, but now all it makes me think of is Partridge.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

?Clunge.?

That has to be among the worst words in the world. But we do need the word “cunt” as it’s the only word I can think of to describe Iain Lee.

I’ve found that “Faff” is not a particularly vulgar word to me.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

i would also like to apologise to Marleen on behalf of the management for the direction this thread has taken…

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

“Ms. Pac Man”

That’s not offensive is it?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I expected this thread to be one big argument, but instead I find lots of words for fannies. I approve.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

THE ANTI-PENIS.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> THE ANTI-PENIS.

HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST THAT WOMANHOOD IS NO MORE THAN THE ABSENCE OF MANHOOD.

YOU FUCKING COCKLESS TWAT.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

(Tee-hee.)

ChrisM
    Participant

The little furry bud of lurve…

Bit of a mouthful though. The line. The line.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Elliot from Scrubs always calls it a “bajingo”, which I’ve always liked.

Dave
    Participant

Life’s abyss

Gateway to her guts.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Hairy axe-wound.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Vertical bacon sandwich.

(With monthly dollops of tomato ketchup.)

Phil
    Participant

>Life?s abyss

…and then you die?

TheLeen
    Participant

Xena!

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Actually, Xena is the best suggestion we’ve had so far. My mum used to refer to my muff as a ‘min’ when I was little, which was presumably short for ‘minge’. Imagine my childish sniggering when I had to email a Chinese colleague who, for some reason, had decided that was the perfect abbreviation of her name for non-Chinese people.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

The Goon Show would never sound right again.

mick
    Participant

This thread has brought me nothing but disappointment, I’m off to play with my man boobs…

Fuck. I spend one night, one night, not staying up on the intertubes like a weirdo and this is what I miss–feminist debate and names for ladies’ bits. Goddamnit, why do I even bother with sleep at all?

Dave
    Participant

Intertubes

James
    Participant

Last chicken gibblet in the shop look?

I prefer the Swedish translation of the word C, it’s “Fitta”

Anyway, the Pac-person game is wonderful.

TheLeen
    Participant

I was outbid for the MB Pac-Man game! How annoying :[

In other news, I have written a proper (I think) review for my sister’s game.

ChrisM
    Participant

Did you see The Wrong door?

There was weird pack-man (and other computer game) related stuff in the last episode…

A very strange series that. I quite like it.

TheLeen
    Participant

I don’t know it… I think you probably have to be in the UK to have seen it, too. If it was on recently.

ChrisM
    Participant

>I don?t know it? I think you probably have to be in the UK to have seen it, too. If it was on recently.

Yeah, I didn’t expect you had really (although you might like to seek it out if you like surreal stuff.) I meant ‘you’ in the general sense, i.e. anyone who read the post.

That’s the think about English, we have the same word for singular you and plural… Most other European languages have both (i.e. French, tu and vous etc.)

Anyhow, it’s a sketch show sort of set in a parallel universe. A lot of it seems to be sci-fi or fantasy related. Some of the sketches are genuinely funny, others kind of… just out there. For example there was a sketch where a girl is sitting in a tube station (I.e. London Underground) and she hear’s a strange noise and several huge 3-D CGI pac-man type characters come trundling past down the rail. There is another where she is crossing a zebra crossing and a section of the road shoots up in front of her freaking her out (like in a Mario game). Another sketch where anyone who orders “Death by Chocolate” for afters in a restaurant get’s killed by a CGI ninja in strange chocolate related ways… and a weird Alice in Wonderland spoof set in an office.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, although I quite like it. (I’ve seen more consistently funny stuff elsewhere though.)

TheLeen
    Participant

Sounds good!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

It’s not.

TheLeen
    Participant

But I want it to be!

pfm
    Participant

> My mum used to refer to my muff as a ?min? when I was little, which was presumably short for ?minge?.

I don’t know how I’m managing to type this cause I can hardly breathe with laughing…:)

OK back to the word ‘cunt’. It’s definitely more offensive in America because it IS seen as more of a derogatory term for a woman rather than for both sexes. You only have to read some Stephen King to get that.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> You only have to read some Stephen King to get that.

Do I have to?

Andrew
    Participant

> > You only have to read some Stephen King to get that.

> Do I have to?

He’s great – or at least he was. So :-p

Phil
    Participant

>He?s great – or at least he was. So :-p

NOT. AGAIN.

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.