Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf – Censored?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Just joined up to ask if any of you know whether the series one episode ‘Balance of Power’ was edited for the DVD release? Specifically the line uttered by Lister regarding Hermann Goring. ‘okay, so he was drug-crazed nazi transvestite, but at least we could’ve gone dancing’. The version on the DVD drops the ‘nazi’ (ever ‘dropped a Nazi’ before? that’s a nasty way to go. makes one hell of a mess of the bathroom). So what I really want to know is: does the smegging line actually exist? I swear I didn’t make it up. It felt quite jarring without the ‘nazi’. Maybe it’s just horrendously misquoted?

Oh, I know that I’m a little late with this one … since the DVD came out fourteen years ago.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The word “Nazi” only ever appeared in the novel “Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers”. I don’t know if it appeared in the script for BoP, but it wasn’t recorded in the take they used.

Ah, thanks – that explains it! I used to listen to the audio book religiously as a teen in the mid/late nineties, and used to fall asleep listening to it. I probably ended up hypnotizing myself. Still, there are worse things to be hypnotized to I suppose (and more severe consequences other than chronic misquoting).

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

That’s weird. In my head, the word “Nazi” is in that scene. I can see Craig saying it. I must have similarly conflated it with the audiobook. My mind is slightly blown.

Ian – that’s exactly what I thought. It was a really odd experience to go back to something that I’ve seen – literally – dozens of times before and not have that one word in there. Really, really odd. I noticed that the Rik Mayall series 2 ‘Bottom’ DVD has a dubbed over line on one of the episodes (which is visually really obvious). Glad it isn’t the case with Dwarf … I’m not sure that I’m a fan of post transmission censorship.

P.S. Nice to meet you all! Been a fan since the late 80’s.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Forgive my manners – hello and welcome!

The closest Dwarf ever got to proper censorship was the loss of the “Mc” from the chicken nugget line in Kryten. A section from Gunmen about jailbait ballgirls was cut from a repeat of Gunmen in 1994, due to Craig being in the news at the time, and this version ended up on the Six of the Best boxset. But thankfully, all the DVDs have the episodes exactly as first broadcast (apart from the ad breaks in X and a music edit in Terrorform).

MANI506
    Participant

I think the Bottom dub is in series one episode four where Richie says ‘thieving bastard yobbos’. We are lucky to have Red Dwarf on DVD unbutchered. I won’t even consider collecting Only Fools And Horses until it’s released as broadcast for example.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

‘thieving bastard yobbos’

Which is bizarre given that the chapter on the DVD says ‘Thieving Gyppos’ thus rendering the dub unnecessary…

John Hoare
    Participant

I didn’t know about that Bottom edit. Bloody hell.

JamesTC
    Participant

>a music edit in Terrorform

That one is still strange to me. For the first 10 years I always watched the broadcast version on an off air recording.

>I won’t even consider collecting Only Fools And Horses until it’s released as broadcast for example.

Apparently the BBC are looking into releasing an unedited version for the 35th anniversary this September. Bet they end up just re-releasing the same shit versions they’ve released several times before.

Thanks for the welcome! I do remember the ‘jailbait ball girl’ repeat at the time, come to think of it. I was at school, scarcely fourteen back then, and everyone was talking about it (by ‘everyone’ I mean ‘three other kids and me’).

Agreed on the Bottom episode, and the dub (and then the blatant DVD chapter title which renders the entire thing pointless).

Since I’m somewhat behind the times with this (unbelievably perhaps, this is the second forum that I’ve ever posted on – I don’t even use social media), what did everyone think of X and BTE? Apologies if this is dredging up long since debated conversations … I guess I missed the talk the first time around. That said, with XI and XII around the corner, could be the perfect time to jump back in?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

There’s a lot of debate to catch up on, but the Silver Survey is a good snapshot how people think they compare to the older series.

MANI506
    Participant

I recommend the instant reaction dwarf casts but I still get a lot of pleasure from BTE and X. I would guess that there’ll be a trailer along for XI in about two months if the run up to X is anything to go by. Having rinsed the heck out of the Dave shows my favourite scenes are from Dear Dave. The Subbuteo scene and the dunking biscuits in the fish tank scene. But overall I love that Red Dwarf is still here and is still weird and funny – those are the reasons I became a fan way back in series two.

Enjoyed reading the Silver Survey – thanks for that (and what an insane amount of work to compile, I imagine). Personally, having re-watched BTE recently, I actually ended up quite liking it – in fact, a lot more so than I would probably want to admit. It definitely benefits from being viewed as a TV movie, rather than three separate episodes (which is never really was, let’s be honest – those breaks were horrendous). Series X is much better on the whole, especially with Fathers and Suns, and Trojan. I’ve just got around to re-watching these on blu ray, and there’s still a few more to go through. I think that on the whole, the writing is there for the most part, though I some scenes (and this it at least one per episode), really could’ve done with ‘just one more draft’. How many times do they set up a gag in a well thought out and intelligent way, just to take the easy way out at the end with lazy dialogue? Answer: Too many. But that’s more than forgivable in the grand scheme of things. Another thing that bothers me is the lapse into ‘heightened’ performance at various points. I don’t know why, I don’t know whether it was a directorial decision? But the cast seem to give particularly wide performances, verging on parody, at certain points of most – if not all – episodes since and including BTE. I can get beyond this, because when they’re on, they’re really ‘back on’, but it’s a shame as if they’d have dialed it down and played it straight, some of the naffer material (the sneeze gag with the tomatoes strings instantly to mind), actually would’ve played out okay (minus the dodgy CGI …). So on the whole, there’s a LOT to like, and a few minor gripes. But I’m really looking forward to XI and XII. Hopefully they’ve now had the time to get it just right.

Hmm, I just tried to edit out all of the typos and mistakes in that last post (I’m writing this on a laptop with a coffee in one hand, and on a train), but the site wouldn’t let me, so you’ll have to live with the embarrassing punctuation (‘comma’) and (‘comma’) the (‘comma’) odd (‘colon’) misspelled word (‘full stop’).

PS – Surprised to read the mass loathing for Dear Dave. I actually liked it a lot. Almost everyone was in character and it could easily have slotted in to series 2 (well, almost).

Jonsmad
    Participant

Then was an awareness here amongst some about the way in which dear dave was built, and woven together in reshoots, some times set less, that an audience watching less attentively and less production focussed can more readily ignore. That and distain for the toilet humour, or the lack of plot not reaching as much praise as some other more bottle like episodes get from early series. Then many have a character based controversy disagreement with the author over listers final response. I like a lot of dear dave myself, the charades scene my favourite and the feel of the start of better than life being there, and I like the daft vending machine hump. But its got weaker strand in it’s other threads.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Theres that other music edit on netflicks was it? in The end. seeyou later alligator swapped out for Here we go footy chant.

si
    Participant

Dear Dave was much better on the night, when I was lucky enough to be there. I think the stuff that was added to the episode did nothing for it, and detracted from what we’d seen recorded.

JamesTC
    Participant

I like it when the man with the funny teeth needs a poo.

John Hoare
    Participant

I like it when the man with the funny teeth needs a poo.

HELLO

By Jove its holmes
    Participant

I think they edited Bottom so a noisy group couldn’t get some cheap headlines and their mugs on Sky News.

A number of tv shows that parodied, for example, Lady Di or Jill Dando, found themselves snipped later, too.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.