Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf VIII is flawed

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Spaceworm Jim
    Participant

But there’s also the end scene of Back in the Red, and all the hilarity that implies.

Spaceworm Jim
    Participant

I just don’t like the weird tone of Series 8, with this feeling that the characters could be beaten up for saying the wrong thing (and are). I don’t see how the Krytie TV scene which ends with Rimmer having the crap punched out of him could be seen as funny, or the scene where Ackerman beats up Cat for saying he seems like a nice guy, or the scene where Baxter breaks Cat’s fingers for accidentally spilling his food. At least Knot dies, but it doesn’t make him crushing Rimmer’s testicles in front of his posse and the other prisoners any funnier for me.

I know it’s a very boring series, but these kind of scenes are what actually ruin it for me.

Rubber
    Participant

The assaults on Rimmer still confuse me. He took the sexual magnetism virus to become irresistible to women, then when they can’t resist he tries to refuse? I’m not victim-blaming at all, but at the same time the women were not in control of themselves – we saw how it affected Kochanski, and how she felt disgusted and mortified once it wore off; her actions were not willing – so the women with Rimmer would feel similarly, and equally their actions were not willing either.
    (Btw if the genders were reversed I would still be confused; it just would may have been more immediately recognised as problematic.)
    I can only conclude that Rimmer trying to refuse was another thing for the sake of ‘oh this’ll be funny’ without thinking through the implications. The implications of the virus making someone actually irresistible – not just attractive – are problematic in themselves, too. I cannot see a way around the situation (e.g. Rimmer consenting) that would make it okay.

Depressingly, I spent all afternoon wondering about the ethics and legality around this. I’m sure IRL someone can be around a person with sexual magnetism without being unable to stop themselves assaulting them, but using it deliberately to attract only certain people is also misguided and arguably the same as intoxicating someone to make them more suggestible (certainly his intention) so HMMMM faults on all sides potentially. Although Lister covertly dousing him in it is definitely WRONG and all those men who grab him are WRONG although maybe more susceptible or suggestible FUCK KNOWS FUCK KNOWS FUCK KNOWS

Rubber
    Participant

FUCK KNOWS FUCK KNOWS FUCK KNOWS although one thing I do know is that pouring a virus onto a boilersuit won’t immediately give the virus to the person in the boilersuit and absolutely nobody else nearby.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

@RunawayTrain
    He starts to refuse because he’s already fucked three times that day and has bitten off far more than he can chew. He probably only wanted to have sex with one woman, maybe twice that day. He’s definitely not used to shagging four times within an hour. Your cock would be red raw by that point.

@quinn i was doing a bit of a joke, it’s not that serious

Ben Saunders
    Participant

I always thought the love potions in Harry Potter were supremely fucked up, ever since I was a child, and of course later on I started to question the sexual magnetism stuff, too. They’re both really fucked up from a consent standpoint. I think both Harry Potter and Red Dwarf (albeit briefly) show us that people can regret their actions after being affected by these things. So on the one hand, at least they address it, but on the other hand, that just makes it explicitly more seedy in-universe.

Dave
    Participant

Don’t ever go and see A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Flap Jack
    Participant

The Blue Midget dance probably wouldn’t even crack my top ten worst parts of the episode it’s in, let alone the whole series. The music is actually kind of catchy, honestly.

Obviously it shouldn’t have happened, but I’ve never got why it stood out as being particularly bad.

RunawayTrain
    Participant

@Ben Saunders Ah, maybe that was the intended joke then: taking the virus backfired because he got far more than he bargained for.

clem
    Participant

If I had to pick one least favourite VIII moment it’d still be the “Sister” Talia misunderstanding, and that’s against some stiff competition from things like Kryten painting his foot with nail varnish, Nostrilomo, the ground controller thinking Cat’s name is Reality Sucks, the theory of relativity, and some stuff others have already mentioned, and probably some other stuff I’ve forgotten.

I think with the Blue Midget dance, you get the sense they thought it was a great idea and people would absolutely love it, and that just makes it seem all the more egregious. Which is perhaps unfair but there we are.

clem
    Participant

He’s definitely not used to shagging four times within an hour. Your cock would be red raw by that point.

RIMMER
    I’ve shagged four times within an hour. One of them was an Officer from somewhere in Surrey.

LISTER
    Leatherhead?

RIMMER
    Yes it is a bit tender.

Hamish
    Participant

I will still defend the Blue Midget Dance on the grounds it was the only real thing they gave Danny to do the whole series.

tombow
    Participant

I think for me it was Rimmer hitting his groin…or the T-Rex poop…or maybe even the rat-arse because it was a first hint that this series wasn’t exactly was I was expecting.

Worst VIII moment is such a hard question to answer, because although the obvious choice is the Blue Midget dance, that’s also the obvious answer, so then it’s easy to start looking for something else and getting overwhelmed at all the astonishingly bad stuff that always makes me want to die.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

I think saying ‘Red Dwarf VIII is flawed’ is a little bit like saying that rain is a bit wet.

I tried watching ‘Cassandra’ the other day, and even that was shit.

ARossiEsquire
    Participant

Until Back to Earth, this was the only series made and broadcast in my lifetime. Feel quite ashamed of saying that…

On the whole I’m fairly mixed on it. There’s the odd funny gag but it really doesn’t feel the same as the rest of the show (also is it just me, or does the colour palette just seem too yellow? That was my main takeaway when I rewatched it earlier this year)

tombow
    Participant

I watched some guy on youtube last night “reacting” to Back in the Red and I quite enjoyed it, especially most of Kryten’s scenes. I was 14/15 when it came on and I didn’t think it was total crap or anything then. Just too manic and fast moving and with too many silly scenes not balanced out by serious parts.

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.