Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum RIP Richard Matheson

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Ben Kirkham
    Participant

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/iconic-sci-fi-author-richard-574197

Richard Matheson is, and will possibly remain, my favourite author of all time. He wrote the best novel I’ve ever read, the incomparable ‘I Am Legend.’ I loved ‘The Shrinking Man’ and all of his short stories. He was an exemplary and hugely influential writer, and with his passing the three main voices of ‘The Twilight Zone’ (Rod Serling, Charles Beaumont and Matheson) are no longer with us.

He was gifted at plotting. One of my favourite ‘Twilight Zone’ stories of his is his first, ‘The Last Flight.’ It was unlike any episode seen before; it’s plot mechanics were deftly constructed and Matheson’s dialogue was always crisp and to the point. ‘Nightmare at 20,000 Feet’ will probably remain his best-remembered ‘Twilight Zone’ work, and it’s a measure of his success that when I heard this sad news reported, the report could not even scratch the surface of his timeless contributions to literature, television and film. A fine legacy indeed.

Phil
    Participant

Definitely behind many of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes (and second only to Serling in that regard). My personal favorite of his is probably The Invaders, simply because of how rapt he manages to hold viewers in a half hour almost entirely free of dialogue.

He’ll be missed for sure.

tanya
    Participant

who?

tanya
    Participant

jon it’s doing it again!

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

> who?

I suggest you follow the link at the top of the page.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/iconic-sci-fi-author-richard-574197

tanya
    Participant

I did, and as i said before who?

JamesTC
    Participant

Behind Rod Serling, he was easily my favourite on The Twilight Zone. He written so many legendary episodes including what is probably the most well known Twilight Zone episode, Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.

I’d say Serling’s Masks and Uncle Simon are my favourite episodes but Matheson sure did write a great load of classics.

Shame he only made on contribution to Star Trek TOS. The Enemy Within is brilliant.

Incidentally, I’ve still not seen any of Season 4 of Twilight Zone. I’ve got the Blu-Ray but not gotten round to it yet. Does the 45 minute episode format work well? I’ve looked at the synopsis of each episode and The Bard looks like the most ahead of its time idea I’ve ever seen. Shakespeare having to contend with advertising executives. I just hope that episode lives up to how I see it in my head.

>I did, and as i said before who?

The tone I’m getting here, and correct me if I’m wrong as it is hard to gauge across the typed word, is that you don’t know who he is and therefore don’t care and feel the need to prance about it in a thread dedicated to his memory. If you want to learn who he is then you could either read the first post in this thread which goes through many of his achievements or you could Google his name. You are being incredibly disrespectful and I hope it isn’t intentional.

tanya
    Participant

Oh i am being disrespectful? looks like i will fit in this forum very nicely huh? when in rome ^_^

HelloMabel
    Participant

Aw. We’re a nice bunch. There’s a lot of fan love here, not just for Red Dwarf, and especially when one whose work touched our lives has just passed on. For example, I wore my Where the Wild Things Are shirt last week in memory of James Gandolfini.

I also regularly Google people and things that others talk about on G&T that I’ve never heard of. :)

> Shame he only made on contribution to Star Trek TOS. The Enemy Within is brilliant.

Yes! One of my favorite TOS episodes, actually.

anniescribe
    Participant

Tanya, where did you get that photo of my friend Charlotte? Either that or you look EXACTLY like her. It’s uncanny.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I’d say she looks more like Leah Vokey.

anniescribe
    Participant

At least now I know the name of Charlotte’s doppelgänger …

tanya
    Participant

so now i look like someone and you stalk me?

Phil
    Participant

Tanya, hook me up with Vanessa Keith.

Connell
    Participant

This is hilarious.

tanya
    Participant

Do you really think she would be interested in you? at all? or even look at you if you were on fire and yelling for help?

Ridley
    Participant

Ian wouldn’t be looking up gymnastic clubs if Nancy hadn’t told him to take care of his fat.

tanya
    Participant

That is your explanation for stalking? Going by ian’s picture, gymnastics is not a good starting point for him.

Phil
    Participant

“Do you really think she would be interested in you? at all? or even look at you if you were on fire and yelling for help?”

Heh heh. CLASSIC Vanessa.

tanya
    Participant

No a classic Vanessa would be winning competitions. Can you or ian do the splits while standing up?

Phil
    Participant

You know who could do unrivaled splits while standing up?

Richard Matheson. :( RIP

tanya
    Participant

I would love to see that ohhh wait. What did the cat say about the worms? Party time?

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

> Incidentally, I’ve still not seen any of Season 4 of Twilight Zone. I’ve got the Blu-Ray but not gotten round to it yet. Does the 45 minute episode format work well? I’ve looked at the synopsis of each episode and The Bard looks like the most ahead of its time idea I’ve ever seen. Shakespeare having to contend with advertising executives. I just hope that episode lives up to how I see it in my head.

Season 4 is a bit up and down. I’d say that on the whole the 45 minute episode format really doesn’t work. However, there are some brilliant episodes I could recommend:

Death Ship (by Matheson)
    On Thursday We Leave For Home (THE best episode of the season)
    In His Image
    The Bard
    Jess-Belle
    Miniature
    Printer’s Devil (worth it for the wonderful Burgess Meredith)
    The New Exhibit
    Passage on the Lady Anne

>Do you really think she would be interested in you? at all? or even look at you if you were on fire and yelling for help?

>That is your explanation for stalking? Going by ian’s picture, gymnastics is not a good starting point for him.

Without wishing to be rude Tanya, I’m wondering what you’re doing posting on here if all you have to say are rude and unfounded comments. Especially in a thread that was created as a tribute to someone. I feel that is in poor taste.

tanya
    Participant

lol oooooo what do we have here let me try this ready?
    Without being rude ‘shut the fuck up or i will stalk you’
    how does that sound you ugly lil hypocrite :)

haha and how dare her say the cats quotes from the show red dwarf that this forum is about! lol idiot :)

Connell
    Participant

No one is stalking you you thick bimbo now piss off.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> No one is stalking you you thick bimbo now piss off.

What I love about this forum is the ability people have to take the high ground.

Connell
    Participant

My purposely moronic attempt at communicating on their level

JamesTC
    Participant

I thought you were just trying to emulate Lord Sugar.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

You’re fired.

Ridley
    Participant

You could be Nancy.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

I should mention for those that have not seen it, ‘The Twilight Zone’ is (next to ‘Doctor Who’) the best television series ever made, and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in well-written television drama.

HelloMabel
    Participant

It’s very effective; so much so that it gave me nightmares as a kid.

si
    Participant

I should mention for those that have not seen it, ‘The Twilight Zone’ is (next to ‘Doctor Who’) the best television series ever made

<cough> Red Dwarf. </cough>

Pete Part Three
    Participant

<cough>Buffy</cough>

Connell
    Participant

<cough>The Apprentice</cough>

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

< cough>Ben Elton’s The Wright Way< /cough>

anniescribe
    Participant

THE GOLDEN GIRLS.

/mic drop

Pete Part Three
    Participant

<sneeze>excuse me<wipes nose>

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

I can’t stand Red Dwarf, personally. That’s the one with the vampire, the gay robot and the bloke with the dreadlocks and H tattooed on his head isn’t it? All they do is say ‘smeg’ all the time.

anniescribe
    Participant

Don’t forget all the beer and curries they eat, too. And cold soup! Who would eat cold soup??

JamesTC
    Participant

I only like it when they are racist.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

> I only like it when they are racist.

me two, thats th only time i’d wacth it LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!11

pfm
    Participant

<splutter>Wizards vs Aliens</splutter>

anniescribe
    Participant

Why do they call the one guy a cat? That’s no cat. Where’s his pointy ears and tail, and whiskers, and he should be parading around on all fours!

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.