SFX: Back To Earth – Double Page Spread

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum SFX: Back To Earth – Double Page Spread

This topic contains 82 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Tarka Dal 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 83 posts - 1 through 83 (of 83 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

si

My subscriber’s copy of the April issue of SFX (#181) has *literally* just popped through the door, and pages 8 and 9 have a two page feature, talking to Doug Naylor, and featuring two new photo’s that none of us have seen before! One is of Kryten, Cat and Lister (*Not* a backstage shot either – on set, during a scene), the other a full length shot of Lister in his black get-up. Nice.

Will post more – maybe – when I’ve actually read it…

si

Explanation for lack of Kochanski and Holly!

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Excellent, si! I’ll have to buy the bastard, now.

si

Right, read it. If I just typed out the article, I suspect SFX would be a little unhappy.

But, Doug Naylor: “It starts nine years [later]… Kochanski has died and Holly is down.”

“Rimmer…has aged, even though holograms shouldn’t – he hasn’t had holo-services because he didn’t know about them.”

And finally: “People have been guessing about what’s going to happen, and no-one’s got it right. I’d be very, very surprised if they do.”

The next five weeks are going to seem like an eternity…

si

SFX out next Wednesday, 11th March.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Wow, that’s an early subscription!

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

> But, Doug Naylor: ?It starts nine years [later]? Kochanski has died and Holly is down.?

Hah! Dead. Dead as a can of SPAM.

> ?Rimmer?has aged, even though holograms shouldn?t – he hasn?t had holo-services because he didn?t know about them.?

That is brilliant.

Mr-Stabby

So Kochanski is dead (yay….*cough*). Why is she not a hologram instead of Rimmer? Where does the new woman come into it? Why is Rimmer ACTUALLY a hologram in the first place, he must have died at some point?

Find out after the break..

Pete Part Three

Did Chloe not want to be in it? Or was this an excuse to get rid of the character? Bit harsh on Ms Annett if so.

The casting of Sophie seems to be Series VII / potential movie cast all over again. And my alarm bells just wont stop ringing.

>That is brilliant.

Is it?! I’m hoping this is not mentioned in the episodes themselves.

Bob Loblaw

Maybe Kochanski’s death sheds some light on the pic of Craig with the book/photo?

Pete Part Three

And the tone of these episodes, presumably.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

> Is it?! I?m hoping this is not mentioned in the episodes themselves.

Yes! It explains his aging (which, fair enough, isn’t really needed) but in an amusing way.

> The casting of Sophie seems to be Series VII / potential movie cast all over again. And my alarm bells just wont stop ringing.

Does it ever get tiresome being you?

Pete Part Three

>Does it ever get tiresome being you?

Haha.

No.

But it gets a bit dull being right all the time.

ChrisM

>?Rimmer?has aged, even though holograms shouldn?t – he hasn?t had holo-services because he didn?t know about them.?

He should have been ancient on Rimmerworld then. Maybe those worry balls helped compensate. ;)

p2p_productions

The explanation for why Holly doesn’t appear in BtE is mentioned too…

…Lister left the tap on 9 years ago. The ship was flooded and he hasn’t dried out yet.

Dax101

makes me wonder if the new hologram girl is set to replace kochanski as regular character :/

si

The explanation for why Holly doesn?t appear in BtE is mentioned too?

?Lister left the tap on 9 years ago. The ship was flooded and he hasn?t dried out yet.

Yeah. I did leave that out so as not to spoil the joke.

performingmonkey

> He should have been ancient on Rimmerworld then.

Rimmerworld didn’t happen. It was just a dream. That’s that solved then.

Dax101

Rimmerworld plothole… not good

NitroChrisUK

upload the new pics dammit … i wonder if we will get any explanation for which rimmer it is

JamesTC

It is the new Rimmer but dead almost certainly.

Dax101

if its the new rimmer that might explain he aged and why the other rimmer didnt

ChrisM

>Rimmerworld plothole? not good

As I said, the worry balls! Grinding his balls kept him young. ;)

Dax101

well thats me staying young forever

Ridley

Why is Rimmer ACTUALLY a hologram in the first place, he must have died at some point?

Right at the end of series VIII.

Steve Harris

Am I the only one slightly saddened by the fact that Chloe is no more (seemingly).

I cant help thinking that Katerina’s arrival has something to do with Rimmer, possibly bringing the wrong person back.

It also may follow that the ‘black’ book seen being read by Lister is Kochanski’s diary.

Still, there’s a million possibilities but perhaps a theme is beginning to take shape..

Ridley

Still, there?s a million possibilities but perhaps a theme is beginning to take shape..

There is a question of how Lister will carry himself not having her around (again) and how it affects the tone of the episodes.

Scrubs in Spaaaace

performingmonkey

I’m guessing that VIII Rimmer and Kochanski both died in the same incident, then the others tried to bring them back as holograms but they only had Rimmer’s personality, then Kochanski’s and Katerina’s were mixed up or something (perhaps their similar names were the cause). That’s probably wrong but you never know.

In the end I would still prefer the original Rimmer back.

JamesTC

Well any holo disc they had an Dwarf for Kochanski would be for the original version and not for the alternative dimension one, if she died then they would not be able to bring her back.

Dax101

as this magazine is suppost to be in the shops next week, i gather thats when we will start getting interviews and officail pictures, maybe even trailer

SkyAndSun

Initial impressions:

I didn’t like series VII and VIII. But Kochanski – dead? That seems a little unfair (unless Chloe told Doug she wanted to leave the show permanently) as I feel it was the quality of the scripts rather than the actress that let that character down. Worry: replacing weakly-written female character with another – the new hologram.

Rimmer’s aging explanation: that is quite funny. Although I hope the ‘utterly throwaway explanation’ thing isn’t used much at all. It was used to resolve the climax of series VI and I kind of felt it was saying, ‘I can’t come up with a decent way out of this cliffhanger.’

Sorry to be so negative; I am really looking forward to the specials, and hopefully a new series, regardless.

ChrisM

Having Kochanski die is a shame. With the way series 8 ended with interdimensional travel, I’m sure another resolution could have been reached. I.e. she returned to ‘her Dave’ or simply found another universe she liked and decided to stay.

Seb Patrick

Okay, people who keep bringing up Rimmerworld : if you are that bothered about series-to-series logic and consistency, you are a fan of THE WRONG PROGRAMME. Is this not apparent from the fact that Red Dwarf is absolutely full of long-form continuity errors? If anything, it wouldn’t feel like Dwarf if everything DID match up perfectly!

All that matters is an explanation for why things are the way they are now. Personally, I think the explanation sounds brilliant – a throwaway gag, but one that works. Chalk it up.

James

Well said Seb! At least Doug is thinking about the possible questions that are bound to happen.

Andrew

> ?I can?t come up with a decent way out of this cliffhanger.?

Whereas Llister’s pregnancy at the end of series two was explained to everyone’s dramatic satisfaction.

> Worry: replacing weakly-written female character with another – the new hologram.

Who said ‘replacing’?

Who said ‘weakly-written’?

Who can say ‘jump to conclusions’?

SkyAndSun

Yep, you’re right Andrew, and I know I’m looking for the most negative explanation (partly so it can be refuted :) ).

Replacing: because we know Chloe’s not in the show and the fact that she’s dead implies she’s left the regular cast as well. And now we have Big Suze appearing. (Jumping to) Conclusion: replacement.

Weakly written: because Kochanski is the only female to have previously joined the regular cast, and in my opinion was weakly written. Going by past experience a new character will have similar problems.

But you’re right, I’m jumping to conclusions. It could also be absolutely fantastic – and I hope it will be.

steven87gill

I suspected kochanski would be killed off a few weeks ago when those two well made fan trailers for back to earth were put on you tube. one of them involed kochanski getting killed off, i only realised after that robert may have unintentionally gave away some of the plot when he understandably thought they were both genuine, they were brilliantly well put together after all.

JamesTC

Chloe is raising a family now isn’t she? With the manager of Oasis?

Mr Flibble

Kochanski dies and Lister wants to bury her on Earth. In Richmond.

JamesTC

And Lister is unhappy in that picture with the book because he is reading to her at her grave.

Mr Flibble

Chloe is raising a family now isn?t she? With the manager of Oasis?

IMDB doesn’t have her listed as having done anything for 5 years. I forget what she’s said at DJs, but if she wants to take it easy, why not.

bountyhunter

Only two new pics in SFX:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pete Part Three

Lister looks like he’s dressed for a wedding rather than a funeral.

hummingbird

If this is a dead series VIII Rimmer, then I’m curious as to how Doug explains them having hard light.

Paul Muller

Looks like there’s some sort of underwater based activity going on as well.

JamesTC

That second picture gets me rather exited, it seems every picture is in a new situation, a simulant here, under water there, in coronation street here, in a comic shop there.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

And then they did a jigsaw.

Excellent pictures – thanks for posting them!

Andrew

> I?m curious as to how Doug explains them having hard light.

Irrespective of BTE, I’m not sure that would be a big issue. General RD lore is ‘find a thing one, have access to it forever’.

ChrisM

That makes sense. They can always reverse-engineer… With their psi-scanner they don’t even need to rip stuff apart to ascertain it’s components. Something Rimmer is probably relieved about.

hummingbird

>I?m not sure that would be a big issue

You’re right, of course.
    I realise I keep posting about that. I don’t know why I’m hung up on that particular point.

Tanya Jones

G&T Admin

Regarding Rimmerworld, FWIW, it was said that 500 years only passed for Rimmer, not the rest of the crew who were in Starbug, along with Holly. If Holly’s in Starbug generating Rimmer, surely the aging process (such as it might be for a hologram) only follows the timeline relevant to the generating entity? So, Rimmer might well ‘live’ through the 500 years, but as Holly isn’t doing so, that length of time isn’t relevant to the holographic image generated.

Someone, please, shoot me in the head…

Pete Part Three

>not the rest of the crew who were in Starbug, along with Holly

Eh?

performingmonkey

I think we can pretty much assume that Lister is supposed to be dressed in funereal fashion, but that’s the best he could come up with. There’s something so…endearing about the fact that he’s in his usual pants and boots. This has to be related to Kochanski. Who else would he mourn?

As for the other pic, things just get better and better! You’ve gotta love the Cat’s suit. And it looks like they’re in a pod of some kind, maybe underwater. Colour me excited.

ChrisM

Regarding Rimmerworld, FWIW, it was said that 500 years only passed for Rimmer, not the rest of the crew who were in Starbug, along with Holly. If Holly?s in Starbug generating Rimmer, surely the aging process (such as it might be for a hologram) only follows the timeline relevant to the generating entity? So, Rimmer might well ?live? through the 500 years, but as Holly isn?t doing so, that length of time isn?t relevant to the holographic image generated.

Actually that made some sense, although just replace ‘Holly’ with ‘Starbug computer’ as they were out of range of Holly at that point (series 6 remember.)

They mentioned that with the capsules ‘solar accelerators’ (or some-such gizmo) there would be enough energy to power Rimmer’s hardlight drive. Thus the energy source was local, i.e. the capsule.

That being said, the data signal could still come from Starbug even if the power for the hardlight drive is local… (although that’s a bit convoluted…)

It’s a theory though!

Richey

The biggest question on my mind remains WHY old Goal Post Head is suddenly a hologram again. NEED INFORMATION!!

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Tanya’s explanation wins.

Richey

Rimmer didn’t die at the end of series VIII – instead we got that lame ‘kicking death in the metaphysical balls’ routine.

hummingbird

> Regarding Rimmerworld ….

If we can suspend our disbelief long enough to
    a) believe that the character is, actually, a hologram, actually, and
    b) believe that said character can clone himself from the DNA that he doesn’t actually have, then
    c) surely we can suspend our disbelief long enough to accept the fact that said hologram ages when he shouldn’t, because the actor playing him actually has no choice in the matter. Actually.
    Sheesh!

*goes back to read own comments about hard light*

Blisschick

My big question is who turns on Rimmer’s new hologram? I’m assuming that sometime after Lister and the others cross thru the mirror universe, or maybe just before he dies from whatever cause, he activates himself, since no one would be around to do it for him. Considering he always has looked out for Number One and made sure he covered his own butt, I place my bet he does it. I’m not going to speculate on whether or not he has any knowledge of the events in Me2, but assuming he doesn’t, he might make that same decision again.

Pheonix11

Re: Activating Rimmer’s hologram

The vending machine did say he was now the ranking officer on ship.
    Maybe the creation of his hologram was automatic.

Al

looks like cats made himself a new purple spacesuit. or diving suit!

Tanya Jones

G&T Admin

>Actually that made some sense, although just replace ?Holly? with ?Starbug computer? as they were out of range of Holly at that point (series 6 remember.)

Ah, yes, sorry. I was a bit drunk when I typed that!

Dax101

im sure it will be explained why he is a hologram

si

I think both Lister and the Cat are wearing diving suits – the Cat has goggles too!!

ChrisM

>The vending machine did say he was now the ranking officer on ship.
    >Maybe the creation of his hologram was automatic.

We also don’t know how dead Holly was at that point. The ship was falling apart, and straight communications between Holly and Rimmer seemed to be down but part of the ship version might have been intact somewhere.

Else, maybe the rest of the crew left their nutty portable version behind in the off-chance something hideously ironic might happen. Like Rimmer finding his way back to the damaged ship while they were in the mirror-verse. :)

Either way Holly could have activated Rimmers hologram, much like he did in the End.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

FAO the idiot who posted the following Tweets to Robert:

Someone has spilt a couple of spoilers about new RD, about Kochanski, Holly and Rimmer aging. Guess I shouldn’t post the link?

Ganymede.tv seem pretty confident about it, and appear to quote Doug

1) Learn to talk properly, so that the verb that only applies to one person doesn’t read like it applies to all of them.

2) Learn to read properly, so that you can attribute sources the correctly. The quotes didn’t come from us, they came from SFX.

3) There’s a difference between a post on a forum and an editorial statement. If we were to post a front page story entitled “we blow goats”, it would be correct to say “ganymede.tv are saying they blow goats”. If someone not connected to G&T posts a forum thread entitled “I blow goats”, then it would *not* be correct to say this. It’s very, very, very simple. And so are you.

si

Dear oh dear. I’ve got to see that…

si

I sent a reply. Was going to blow off at him, but restrained myself from calling him a silly billy (and worse!), and just pointed out, well, what Ian just said, really.

But more politely.

His Bio, by the way, reads:

English literature student, wants to be a comedian, might not be particularly funny.

Saying nothing.

Carlito

He or she can’t be much of an Eng Lit student if they don’t even know how to properly disclose sources.

Of course, on the other hand “English Literature student” could just mean GCSE, and you just happen to have a rather silly macho name?

Squeaky Gibson

the question that has yet be answered is, how come Red Dwarf is still about? did Ace Rimmer arrive at the end and fix the ship or this the mirror universe where the crew were trapped at the end of VIII.

Carlito

the question that has yet to be answered is, was Porky Roebuck the “old friend” that scarred Rimmer’s face with his Duel video?

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

The question that has yet to be answered is: would anyone like any toast?

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

The question is: Do we want to?

Carlito

> I think we can pretty much assume that Lister is supposed to be dressed in funereal fashion, but that?s the best he could come up with. There?s something so?endearing about the fact that he?s in his usual pants and boots. This has to be related to Kochanski. Who else would he mourn?

It looks like the same gear he was wearing in Duct Soup when Kryten imagines Lister and Kochanski as a devoted couple having dinner parties with GELFs.

Carlito

Virtually identical jacket anyway, possibly the same one.

listerssock

Fan-smeggin-tastic!

This is starting to look better and better!

ori-STUDFARM

Me thinks I maybe shedding tears. Hope they give it all a happy ending!!

Ridley

Rimmer didn?t die at the end of series VIII – instead we got that lame ?kicking death in the metaphysical balls? routine.

I’d like to think it was a device for showing Rimmer’s conciousness being brought back (in the form of a hologram).

General RD lore is ?find a thing one, have access to it forever?.

They could have just ripped out the chip from Ace Rimmer’s light bee.

…Or Earth has Legion tech?

Carlito

Ah yeah. The original Ace in SMAC was hardlight, and left his dead light bee. Of course, it was damaged but they could have acquired the technology to rebuild it during the last ten years.

Which doesn’t explain how there’s two… unless this Rimmer is the original Rimmer? Or they managed to clone it somehow? Maybe Kryten finally managed to build that working triplicator he’s always dreamed of. Yah.

NitroChrisUK

got my copy of sfx today good read .. like the idea of lister leaving the tap on for 9 years and flooding the ship.. great excuse to get holly out the way.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

like the idea of lister leaving the tap on for 9 years and flooding the ship..

You left a light on in the bathroom…

peas_and_corn

I told my other half about leaving the tap on, and she said that she hopes that Hattie as Holly appears at the end, to proclaim
    “It’s been a while since I was THAT moist down there!”

Tarka Dal

So has anyone seen or heard ANYTHING about these golden ticket mags? It sounded great, but if none of them have come to light it all seems a bit redundant.

SFX could surely have supported things a bit more, a proper cover would have been nice or perhaps mentioning ANY of the build-up or trailers on their newsfeed.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 83 posts - 1 through 83 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.