Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Simon the Sorcerer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

Seeing as I’ve identified only one other person who has played Simon the Sorcerer, I figured I’d try to spread the word a little.

What is Simon the Sorcerer?
    Released in 1993, Simon the Sorcerer is a humorous point ‘n’ click adventure game in the mould of The Secret of Monkey Island following the adventure of a yougn lad, Simon, as he is transported to a magical world in order to rescue Calypso, the grand high wizard of the village of Fleur de Lie, from the evil sorcerer Sordid. Although, being an adventure game, it’s never as simple as that, is it?

Is it any good?
    It’s probably one of the finest examples of 1990s adventure games you’ll ever play. Every bit as good as Monkey Island. There are sequels as well – Simon the Sorcerer II has Sordid returning and bringing Simon back to the magical realm as part of a plan to conquer the world. Simon the Sorcerer 3D was never made and will never be spoken of again. I haven’t played Simon the Sorcerer 4: Chaos Happens yet, but it looks fantastic (terrible voice acting aside).

Can I still buy it, and will it work on Windows XP / Vista?
    Yep! Good Old Games have the first three titles available to download for $5.99 each. Snag the first one, play it, love it, finish it, then get the second one. Grab the third one if you think you can put up with terrible controls and a horrible, horrible 3D environment that was already outdated when the game came out in the first place.

What the smeg does this have to do with Red Dwarf, you smegging smeghead? Smeg!
    Chris Barrie is the voice of Simon in the very first game, YOU CLOD. What’s more, he’s fantastic. So there.

I’ve played through and finished the first two games, and I want more! What can I do?
    Well, if you don’t want to tackle the third game, you could always try The Feeble Files. That’s also up on Good Old Games for $5.99, and features Robert Llewellyn in the titular role.

There we are. Discuss.

Blisschick
    Participant

I saw on Youtube awhile back some video of the game. Cute if you’re into that sort of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah_wW4B4Lvc

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The framerate on that video is utterly appalling, but it’s a good way of hearing some of Chris Barrie’s performance without paying for the game. I’d still recommend shelling out the $6 if you’ve got it.

TheLeen
    Participant

I played it. But when I played Simon the Sorcerer in the middle of the nineties, I didn’t know about Red Dwarf.

And in fact, my sister is playing it again RIGHT NOW. She told me on the phone the other day. My immediate reaction was, “Did you take the dwarf’s beard yet??!”, the answer to which was yes. My second reaction was, “Make him say something for me.”

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Only person my bottom.

Seen it, played it. Good fun. When I was 13 or 14 I thought the Woodworm arguement was comedy gold.

p2p_productions
    Participant

http://scummvm.org/

This little beauty plays all kinds of point and click titles, provided you own a copy of the original game. STS even has a remixed MIDI soundtrack available for download!

BTW – Another great title: Beneath a Steel Sky – very Blade Runner, for all you Deckard fans out there. The game is now legit shareware – you can download it on the site, too.

si
    Participant

I thought this thread was about me, dammit.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Wouldn’t that be Simon the chap who has been in hospital recently, allegedly?

si
    Participant

So I’ve heard.

Dave
    Participant

>Wouldn?t that be Simon the chap who has been in hospital recently, allegedly?

It’s a cautionary tale about dwarf beard theft

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Started re-playing Simon 3D last night. Looks shit, controls like shit, but it’s funnier than I remembered. I may be willing to see it through to the end.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.