Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Slightly disturbing Youtube find.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Paul Muller
    Participant
    Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Fucking hell, I’ve never actually seen this!

Clayton Mark! Charles Augins! That bloke who played Robin Hood in Marian!

Also, that’s actually a different version to the single itself, isn’t it? And and, I never knew that the claymation stuff as featured on Smeg Outs actually came from here.

Top find!

Paul Muller
    Participant

Thanks. It’s bloody odd, but pretty interesting.

“Is it true you was a racist, and an informant for J Edgar Hoover?”

Actually, am watching more and more of it, and just keeps getting better/worse.

Vocoder version is bizarre, as is Danny’s triangular haircut.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=etWN7Hs6qeA

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X6LBxWisdOI

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eVofWV3YaIo

performingmonkey
    Participant

I never knew the whole cast, including Norman(!), took part in the video. How mad is that??

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Vocoder version is bizarre, as is Danny?s triangular haircut

MY EYES!!!!

John Hoare
    Participant

I sat through it at DJ.

Meh.

Andrew
    Participant

I own it on VHS. But then I am OLD.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I have this somewhere. God, make it stop.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’ve only watched it at DJ.

I have it on VHS too. I genuinely have not watched it yet…

James
    Participant

2 video versions, no cover, black case with white sticker, ordered through the Smegazine I think, and then the same thing with a proper cover, all the audio versions were on the CD.

Andrew
    Participant

> all the audio versions were on the CD

But, weirdly, not Danny’s (actually quite good) version of the Dwarf theme tune. To get that you had to buy the tape, the single or the 12 inch.

I bought all four. It’s anyone’s guess as to why.

penny
    Participant

>I bought all four. It?s anyone?s guess as to why.

I’ll give it a go on a guess…you are a big Red Dwarf fan.

Phil
    Participant

>Danny?s (actually quite good) version of the Dwarf theme tune.

Still very much want to hear this.

Andrew
    Participant

> Still very much want to hear this.

Too much like hard work to sit through the first minute of the original link? :-)

Phil
    Participant

Nope, just at work and unable to get to youtube. :-)

Dave
    Participant

I’ve never seen this before, I’m sure I’ll never watch this again. I bought the single on tape, but I didn’t have a CD player back then and I’ve no idea where the tape went. Despite knowing what I do now, I’d still buy the CD Single if I found somewhere.

I was really hoping this would appear as a DVD extra, but it sounded like a lot of work just getting anyone to admit to owning the copyright, and so if it had been the reviews would probably have lingered on the mediocrity of this.

Al
    Participant

I remember this being in the smegazine, and being massively confused by the presence of Judge Dredd. Only took 15 years to get to the bottom of it. What a disappointment!

Phil
    Participant

I made it 2:32 into that video, but I started frantically clicking “pause” around 2:29.

Al
    Participant

Andrew DeBymoney????? Hilarious in-jokes galore (!)

How come they didnt give *him* the “back on the street with the rest of the brothers” line?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

This has been said before, it may have been either here or on the WebBoard, but did someone say that they’d found samples from Robocop on the first Track towards the end?

Andrew
    Participant

> did someone say that they?d used noises from Robocop on the first Track,

Yes, that was me. Aliens, too.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Where’s the Aliens bit?

Andrew
    Participant

I dunno, I’d have to listen to the track properly (i.e. not that YouTube-off-a-VHS version). But it included the sound of the Sulaco passing by, and audio from the marines locking and loading in the APC.

ChrisM
    Participant

Interesting finding this as I just saw the Dimension Jump episode again as part of my much through the Bodysnatcher Collection disks.

I still prefer the rawer sound of the original to this more soulful version though. And the drama/acting made me want to wince, although I suspect the cheese was intentional. As did that version of Judge Dredd (I’m a 2000 AD reader too.)

Interesting to see so many familiar faces though including Queeg 500! And a sexy vamp/cat lady too. (Shouldn’t she have 6 er… oh never mind…)

John Hoare
    Participant

Interesting finding this as I just saw the Dimension Jump episode again as part of my much through the Bodysnatcher Collection disks.

Parallel Universe, you mean! Although I think I’ve slipped up on that before too – there’s something about those two titles that’s easy to confuse.

I said this in my Bodysnatcher review, but never mind: I like the Howard Goodall demo version, and wish the final thing had turned out something like that, before the cast got involved and meddled with the backing track.

The final version works OK in the episode, but I must admit, I’m bored to the back bloody teeth of it now, and I don’t think it’s that funny or well-done, really. It’s one of my least-favourite moments of the first two series, if I’m honest, although I don’t think it’s *terrible*. (Mind you, does it have ANYTHING to do with the rest of the episode, apart from the repeat of the music in the disco later on? The dialogue is written so it *feels* organic… but if you actually look at it, it isn’t at all!)

As for Danny’s version, I’ll embrace it as one of the weirder offshoots of the franchise, and there’s something charming about that… but that doesn’t mean I think it’s any good. At all. Ever.

John Hoare
    Participant

Anyway, surely the following are the best SF-related spin-off songs are these. (Ignore the broken images – the MP3s work.) I’ve got a really soft spot for Marvin, I Love You

performingmonkey
    Participant

Reproductive system, baby…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

apart from the repeat of the music in the disco later on?

It’s also weird how they use a more lounge-muzak version for the background music in Better Than Life…

thomasaevans
    Participant

I love Rob and Craig 2 minutes into part 4…. Rob is just hillarious.

ChrisM
    Participant

Parallel Universe, you mean! Although I think I?ve slipped up on that before too – there?s something about those two titles that?s easy to confuse.

Yes that’s the one.

I thought after writing that post I’d gotten a couple of episodes mixed up.

Never mind.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I remember the Smegazine had an article about the making of this video. Was always sad that I never got a chance to see it. Now I’m sad that I have.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Zombie Dave! Excellent.

Dave
    Participant

>Zombie Dave! Excellent.

Now I’m confused.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

It’s a character from excellent video-games-Teletext-magazine-thing Digitiser. I have a t-shirt of it.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Drrrrgrrrrrrtrrrrrrrrsrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrs frrrrrgrrrrrrnnn rrrrrsrrrrrrmmm.

si
    Participant

I’ve got the official vhs for this. With a proper sleeve and everything. In fact, I used to have two, and I gave a (sleeveless) copy to someone as a present.
    I’ve got the 12″ single, and the sleeve of my cassette single has a little hole where the ‘tabby token’ was…

Dave
    Participant

I really liked the sleeve art, was it Colin Howard?

What was a tabby token?

si
    Participant

Ah, that would be telling…

Alright, it was for a competition entry to spend a day with DJJ – you needed one from the single, and one from the smegazine.

I didn’t win.

Andrew
    Participant

> I really liked the sleeve art, was it Colin Howard?

It was. Weird how it differed from format to format – some had Cat in the red suit, one changed the colour to a dark blue, another to a more neon blue…

And yes, logo fans, design-wise the RD symbol was all over the place…

> it was for a competition entry to spend a day with DJJ

The slogan from the party flyer was “The Bat Is Cack”.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.