Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Television Centre Closure

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jonsmad
    Participant

I’m off to the goodbye bbc tv centre concert today. Too see Madness play the carpark, as BBC4 and also the one show host the farewell to the building 9 days before the hand over of keys. Vic and bob are recording their sitcom pilot in studio 2 and Davina McCall Is quizshowing elsewhere, some of the very last programmes being made. Meanwhile in the car park it’s a live broadcast after 7pm, and I get to stand in a space, probably myriad tv celebs used to fight to get their car into back in the day.

I want to run around shouting “smell my cheese”, and my head is full of Kenny Everett, Python, The Goodies, and fry and laurie appearing outside the famous building.

But is there anything much Red Dwarf related I should let my brain reflect upon also, with the show
    being Manchester, and Shepperton based for production. Is there anything much related to this building?
    The early model shots? Meetings, or any red dwarf night shows?

Anyway, if they have started skipping anything yet, which I doubt, then I will try and steal John Hoare something as memorabilia, even if it’s only a walnut stilton and a bottle of ketchup wine from the bbc canteen.

HelloMabel
    Participant

KETCHUP WINE?!

*googles it*

Honestly, the things one learns around here…

Have a great time and do give us a report. I don’t get sentimental about studios, but this still makes me sad.

Jonsmad
    Participant

you cant really google it hellomabel, it’s just another obscure uk comedy reference, jokes about the canteen at the bbc, and a show called stuff. I shall report back. Especially if I find a starbug in a bin.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Au contraire, Jeanfou. (A non French-speaking person’s attempt to translate “Jonsmad,” there.)

Apparently you need ketchup, water, brown sugar and “wine yeast.” It sounds utterly disgusting, but I’d try some on a dare.

I triple-dog-dare you to try some ketchup wine, Mabel.

Blisschick
    Participant

I’m game. I’d try it. But not on lobster.

HelloMabel
    Participant

> I triple-dog-dare you to try some ketchup wine, Mabel.

You’re on!

MANI506
    Participant

I really want to watch all of Alexei Sayle’s Stuff. I randomly put series 2 episode 1 on youtube and there was the ketchup wine!

So far G & T has inspired me to watch Absolutely, Brittas Empire, Filthy Rich & Catflap and now Stuff!

MANI506
    Participant

I just bought series 1 of Stuff on VHS. Unusually for a video released in the late 80s it seems to have the whole series on one tape. Hope the tracking’s ok.

Jonsmad
    Participant

The VHS was a best of compilation. DVD’s of all the series are available. Glad you found the bbc wine ketchup. :-) I stole some from the BBC club bar. :-)

Jonsmad
    Participant

They were no longer interested in the kind of ketchup they used to be interested in, or indeed the building.

MANI506
    Participant

Oh, I’m slightly gutted that the VHS is a best of but I suppose it’s a good way to ease me into the series. The series one DVD was about thirty quid so I’ve left it for now.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Getting briefly back on topic, I don’t think anything at all Red Dwarf based was based in TVC. I briefly thought Universe Challenge might’ve been, but I can’t be sure. Can’t Smeg Won’t Smeg was Teddington and other than those two, there are little other possibilities.

HelloMabel
    Participant

> So far G & T has inspired me to watch Absolutely, Brittas Empire, Filthy Rich & Catflap and now Stuff!

My list: Alan Partridge, Lost, Doctor Who (series 5-7), Community, Game of Thrones.

I know, I know. “Mabel, there’s this thing called television! You have to check it out!”

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

For me, the G&T bods introduced me to Look Around You, Spaced, Alan Partridge, and F, R & C. I genuinely can’t believe what my life would’ve been like without knowing about those first two shows…

si
    Participant

Ganymede & Titan introduced me to Red Dwarf. (I assumed it was an astronomy website.)

Alex
    Participant

G&T introduced me to Captain Butler.

Bastards.

MANI506
    Participant

I watched Captain Butler go out on broadcast cos I am cool.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Cheers for the answer Cappsy. Do you think Universe Challenge was likely Teddington as well then? The model unit/bbc vis FX work on models, including the build work, and storage was in acton? was it? Or that
    plus where the show was shooting? So nothing of the show really ever went on at the main BBC building,
    except memo’s maybe then.

I can think of one micro obscure element, in that the Children in Need telethon footage within the sketch for
    children In need, must have come from footage in a TV centre studio. Terry Wogan was present when I was
    there at the concert, and so I had to make “Tel” based jokes as a result of that fact.

My video of the rain soaked car park concert, with bbc warm up man, struggling to warm up the cold 80’s pop stars and crowd, waiting for the cue from the nearby one show. http://youtu.be/5eeFnYPVyJI Not very interesting probably to most here. But it does briefly have a Dalek in it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.