Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The Blu-ray Awakens

Viewing 43 posts - 101 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    bloodteller
    Participant

so this has just popped up on amazon. blu-ray of 1-8 coming on October 1st i guess

flanl3
    Participant

Dropping/adding an actual frame and getting the small skip every second is what can be nauseating. Sort of like in Mario Kart 8 where a frame repeated itself every second and it was really distracing once you noticed it, except that was dropping 60 to 59 fps, not 25 to 24.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

If it’s a duplicated frame it can be annoying but surely if it’s interpolated it would be fine

Idk though

I didn’t think NTSC viewers would be used to 24fps, I thought they watched stuff in 30/29.97

Flap Jack
    Participant

so this has just popped up on amazon. blu-ray of 1-8 coming on October 1st i guess

Yeah, that Amazon listing has been there a while. Still weird to have a release date – even if it’s just a placeholder – before the thing has even been announced. Can’t say I’m leaping to pre-order a product that might not even exist!

Moonlight
    Participant

I didn’t think NTSC viewers would be used to 24fps, I thought they watched stuff in 30/29.97

Basically all scripted TV is in 24 fps now, including audience sitcoms.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

>Can’t say I’m leaping to pre-order a product that might not even exist!
    They don’t charge you until the thing actually ships so there would be no harm in pre-ordering it, I think

>Basically all scripted TV is in 24 fps now, including audience sitcoms.
    Cool.

Moonlight
    Participant

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t permanently associate higher framerates with cheapness and sitcoms, since I was primarily exposed to it in my youth through low budget BBC shows and American sitcoms of the 1970s. To me, 24 is the “proper” framerate for scripted entertainment, and anything higher just feels wrong unless it’s on a traditional multi-camera sitcom.

And since the current Red Dwarf isn’t shot quite the same as a traditional multi-camera sitcom, sometimes looking closer to a single-camera drama production, a higher framerate would feel just as wrong to me as watching the multi-camera BBC series in 24 fps does.

I would aggressively contest the attitude I’ve heard from DwarfCasts that such a look somehow distances you from the comedy. I would personally find new Red Dwarf being shot just like the old series to make it look unacceptably cheap and old-fashioned, because really this is all informed by what you’re used to seeing in TV. I’ve always seen video taped BBC shows as having an incredibly cheap aesthetic to them, and so much of that comes from the video look and how overlit shows had to be for the cameras back then.

So as much argument as I hear for the video look being “more real” and making you feel more like you’re there than the film look, I feel _exactly_ opposite. The video look just screams “YOU ARE WATCHING A CHEAP SITCOM” to me.

Reality is subjective, life is a hologram, we’re all gonna die alone, etc., etc.

Moonlight
    Participant

That’s not to say I don’t think Red Dwarf V and VI look fucking incredible, but they’d look a lot more incredible visually if they were shot single camera on film. I’m not saying that would be better for the show, but it would certainly look more expensive.

pfm
    Participant

All this confusion about framerates is the reason it’s fucked up so very often on DVD/Blu-ray releases. One of, if not the first BBC Blu-ray releases was of ‘Planet Earth’ and it played back at 24fps, thus resulting in that 4% slowdown.

Budget is a major reason for this happening, as they will often produce one master for all markets. If they REALLY wanted to, they could make it all work. The same goes for 5.1 surround mixes as well, but that’s another story…….

Rather have audio commentaries for series 10-12 then this to be honest.

Moonlight
    Participant

I just want Doug commentaries.

Flap Jack
    Participant

They don’t charge you until the thing actually ships so there would be no harm in pre-ordering it, I think

It’s not so much that I’m worried about not being able to cancel, it just feels weird to pledge to buy something we know so little about. Plus, the pre-order price is unlikely to rise, so there doesn’t seem to be much advantage to being so prepared.

JamesTC
    Participant

>Budget is a major reason for this happening, as they will often produce one master for all markets. If they REALLY wanted to, they could make it all work. The same goes for 5.1 surround mixes as well, but that’s another story…….

It sounds like that won’t happen next time. Over on another forum when talking about the possible upcoming Classic Doctor Who Blu-Ray season sets a member of the Restoration Team has stated that there would be separate 50i and 60i releases, depending on territory.

I think with Doug Naylor ensuring the quality of the release before signing off on them, we hopefully won’t get a screw up like that.

bloodteller
    Participant

why are they releasing it all on Blu-Ray anyway? what’s the market for that?

dunno about anyone else but i certainly wouldn’t pay to see I-VIII in slightly higher quality, but maybe thats just me.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Once again I find myself in wholehearted agreement with Katydid, RE: frame rates.

>I think with Doug Naylor ensuring the quality of the release before signing off on them, we hopefully won’t get a screw up like that.
    The man behind Red Dwarf: Remastered and Timewave?!

Dave
    Participant

why are they releasing it all on Blu-Ray anyway? what’s the market for that?

Presumably it has been a very strong seller on DVD in all its various forms over the years, and this is the logical next variation.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

According to tweets from Doug yonks ago, there is apparently demand for it in Japan.

NoFro
    Participant

> That’s not to say I don’t think Red Dwarf V and VI look fucking incredible, but they’d look a lot more incredible visually if they were shot single camera on film. I’m not saying that would be better for the show, but it would certainly look more expensive.

They would certainly look better. A lot of old shows have looked amazing on their Blu Ray releases because they were shot on film. I wish Dwarf could look as good, especially as most of the episodes look great from a sets/costumes/lighting standpoint, but the source just can’t provide that.

I can’t believe that even a decade ago the BBC were shooting scripted, highly popular shows that weren’t future-proofed for HD (see: Doctor Who, The Mighty Boosh).

Ben Saunders
    Participant

I would have sworn the Mighty Boosh was Channel 4. Lots of early digital films like the Star Wars prequels were shot at 1080p, and that’s it. They are forever locked at that resolution. And I read somewhere (maybe on here lmao) that I think 28 Days Later was genuinely shot at 480p, and that’s as high as it will ever be. Now 1080p I can understand given that they basically invented digital cameras -for- Attack of the Clones, but 480p?! What were they thinking.

Even The Phantom Menace, which was shot on film for the most part except for one scene, probably will remain at 1080p because of that one scene. Lucas elected to use the scene where Qui Gon tests Anakin’s blood as a testing ground for his new digital camera, to see if anybody would notice that it switched from film to digital, and I don’t think many people did, and so the digital age began.

Then you have Tommy Wiseau who shot The Room -simultaneously- on digital AND film because he didn’t understand the difference, and had to have a custom camera enclosure made to hold both cameras side by side iirc. I don’t know if the final movie is presented fully one or the other or a mix, though.

Dave
    Participant

The low-res filming of 28 Days Later was a deliberate stylistic choice that I thought worked quite well.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

It’s going to be a blast revisiting that film on the 8k televisions of the not too distant future.

Mind you if Red Dwarf is anything to go by we’ll all have gone back to CRTs by that point, anyway.

MANI506
    Participant

I wonder if the proposed blu-ray would feature re-shot vis-fx for VII which Doug has said would be fun to do.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

>And I read somewhere (maybe on here lmao) that I think 28 Days Later was genuinely shot at 480p, and that’s as high as it will ever be. Now 1080p I can understand given that they basically invented digital cameras -for- Attack of the Clones, but 480p?! What were they thinking.

Watch the film. They film on a completely empty Westminster Bridge and City of London. They had literally minutes between the sun coming up and the city getting swamped. Rather than waste time setting up film cameras, they shot with a bank of Canon XL1 MiniDV video cameras, all filming at once, because they took literally moments to setup. The footage speaks for itself. No CGI, no fancy production tricks. REAL London looks deserted. I think that was worth using the slightly cheaper cameras. It looks amazing. And stylistically i think it works too.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

So it’s The Dalek Invasion of Earth but with zombies?

Doug has just tweeted this

“In the Blu-Ray suite working on Red Dwarf III. It’s looking nice. The Up-Rez is nice, the noise reduction is nice, the grade is nice. It just looks nice period. #RedDwarf30#October”

So looks like we’ll get getting something in October!!

si
    Participant

October, eh? Hmm. If only there was some kind of Red Dwarf fan event around then..

Dave
    Participant

Great to hear. Looking forward to seeing how it looks.

Dax101
    Participant

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

NoFro
    Participant

III probably has the most room for improvement. Well, maybe there’s no room for improvement but it certainly looks the worst.

Dax101
    Participant

I wonder will dave be showing the Blu-ray quality shows after its released.

If you are gonna put money into it you may aswell make the most of it.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Just went on Google images for some screencaps of Marooned and oh boy does that cockpit scene look horrible.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

They’re taking the opportunity to remove Hattie altogether and replace her with newly filmed footage of Norm. This is perhaps more troublesome for Parallel Universe, though.

bloodteller
    Participant

>Just went on Google images for some screencaps of Marooned and oh boy does that cockpit scene look horrible.

i wonder if they’ll change that in some way for the blu-ray? it looks incredibly dodgy in SD so it’ll no doubt look even dodgier in HD.

if i recall correctly Remastered tried fixing the cockpit scene but they somehow made it look even worse

Dave
    Participant

I would hope that they would ‘fix’ as little as possible. The effects techniques, whether good or bad, are part of what the show is.

Dax101
    Participant

I wouldn’t mind a hint of remastering just to smooth over some of the effects rather than replace them.

Dave
    Participant

Slippery slope, though.

I wouldn’t mind an actual remaster, in terms of polishing up the final product. What we had in 1997 was a remix, really, going back to the source and changing individual ingredients.

Sacrosant
    Participant

Have a gawp at this you filthy luddites

No matter the source tape, no matter the grade, no matter the bells and whistles that can be attached to the footage, the blu-rays will look like fucking shite but with less of a tan hue. Bollocks to it.

Dave
    Participant

Also posted in the news thread, this seems relevant:

cwickham
    Participant

The fact that they’re bothering to put new extras on these is quite encouraging. The Tom Baker Years and the Genesis of the Daleks omnibus edit will be nice to have for archival purposes – shades of The Bodysnatcher Collection including all the stuff they missed off the series releases.

Raradra
    Participant

Doug Naylor just tweeted:

Raradra
    Participant

Sorry about that, I can’t edit that post for some reason. He tweeted:

“Big announcement tomorrow about Red Dwarf I-VIII and Blu-ray and launch date and October 1st”

Dave
    Participant

See the other BR thread…

Viewing 43 posts - 101 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.